PDA

View Full Version : Book throwing suggestions.

greyknight666
2013-09-08, 10:52 PM
So I'm looking at a party containing a rogue, a necromancer wizard, dread necromancer, necromancy focused cleric, and an ashbound/greenbound/natural bond druid with an ape. Currently level 3. What type of book throwing antics can 3 necromancers, a druid and a rogue get into? Though i'll mention its a serious rp reaction campaign so we are expected to deal with the general population, in a hero style relationship though the means justify the end as long as no one finds out.

Platymus Pus
2013-09-08, 10:56 PM
So I'm looking at a party containing a rogue, a necromancer wizard, dread necromancer, necromancy focused cleric, and an ashbound/greenbound/natural bond druid with an ape. Currently level 3. What type of book throwing antics can 3 necromancers, a druid and a rogue get into? Though i'll mention its a serious rp reaction campaign so we are expected to deal with the general population, in a hero style relationship though the means justify the end as long as no one finds out.

I think they can get up to quite a bit of book throwing.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/3rd-party-spells/rite-publishing---3rd-party-spells/s/shelve

eggynack
2013-09-08, 11:01 PM
Pretty much all of it. I mean, you're missing a few tier one classes there, but you've got most of the big ones hanging out in your party. At the very least, you can expect the druid to be tossing out a constant barrage of walls of thorns, as early as fifth level. The rogue probably won't do much, but you're talking about three or four separate characters specializing in minionmancy, which might slow down combat to a halt. I'd start listing things this party can do, but the amount of things they have the potential to do is basically everything in existence, so listing all of it is an exercise in futility.

thethird
2013-09-08, 11:49 PM
I think you will need to throw books to the rogue till he dies and becomes a DFI Bard or something.

Perseus
2013-09-09, 06:31 AM
I think you will need to throw books to the rogue till he dies and becomes a DFI Bard or something.

Or anything with 3.5 knock and whatever the reserved summoning feat is called.

Seriously one of these things ain't like the other...

Segev
2013-09-09, 07:59 AM
I suggest the rogue invest in UMD and get a wand of Command Undead. He can then pick up the "Extra" undead the necromancer makes beyond his HD cap. He will need to renew it every few days, so he won't have as many. He should pick up the "big ticket" ones.

With that much minionmancy, there's going to be a LOT of things on the battlefield, typically. This will make stuff go slowly. Find out from the players how much they want to really roll this out; if "not much," consider hand-waving some "minions take on stuff over here; what are YOU doing?" rules so that only the PCs and monsters they're directly fighting take real actions. (If the druid or necromancer or even rogue prefers one specific big minion as their fighting style, let them control that instead of their character in the fight.)

I'd also consider asking the necro and druid if they're okay with the rogue's player taking one or more of their minions under his command; it will spread the number of creatures under each player's control around and help keep things from becoming a "rogue gets a turn that takes 3 minutes, then waits an hour for his turn to come around again" problem.

Shenanigans-wise, expect the necromancer to eventually be able to use Corpsecrafter and Desecrate to get at LEAST +4 hp/HD on all his created minions, as well as +4 to Str. If he goes for Destruction Retribution, his minions become micro-bombs, too, which heal each other if any are big enough to be damaged but not destroyed.

Icewraith
2013-09-09, 10:34 AM
Suggest the rogue go Beguiler or DFI bard. Being the only non-caster can be really boring.

ericgrau
2013-09-09, 10:45 AM
Be sure to have all undead fully statted out on paper, because there will be a lot of them.

Libris mortis has some nice feats. The one that makes destroyed undead explode in negative energy is nice. Besides hurting foes it heals the remaining undead. Mass buffs like haste will be amazing too. Though for skeletons not zombies. Coordinate with the rest of the party to avoid duplicate buffs, and to get the right kinds of undead that work well with eachother and with the buffs.

greyknight666
2013-09-09, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, i was at a loss with the rogue on suggestions to join the necromantic party fun.