PDA

View Full Version : Your Location

Klanos
2013-09-08, 11:26 PM
Almost nobody takes the "Location" part seriously. Almost every single one is a reference or a joke. So why not revel in it? Let's all post what we've said is out "Location", and explain each one! For example, mine is, "Genesis Frog's Gut". This is a reference to the fact that in Homestuck, the universe is basically a gigantic frog, known as the "Genesis Frog". Playing SBURB, SGRUB, or your regional equivalent, tasks you with creating a new one! Therefore, my location is a fandom-y way to say that I'm in the universe. Make sense? No? Well, that's a common side effect of being with me. Now let's go!

Haruki-kun
2013-09-09, 08:25 AM
Mine is usually a reference to the avatar variation I'm currently wearing. Current one is "digiworld" because I dressed up my Angel avatar as Angemon.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-09, 08:30 AM
Mine is a reference to one of my favourite locations in Runescape; I no longer play, but I haven't updated my location in forever... maybe I should do it.

Serpentine
2013-09-09, 09:54 AM
I did have mine set to where I was in my latest D&D game. I can't remember why I put it to this, except that it was pretty accurate at the time. If I get into another D&D game, I'll probably go back to that.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-09-09, 09:59 AM
Mine is a reference to the non magical world that is Earth, which it is referred to as in the Xanth series, by Peirs Anthony. The series is full of puns, such as an Infant-tree, which grows infants on it. The stork then takes these babies to the appropriate families. And it goes on. :smallbiggrin:

FinnLassie
2013-09-09, 10:52 AM
Well, my location is an actual place (Scotland), but in Scottish Gaelic. *shrug*

Feytalist
2013-09-09, 10:54 AM
Mine's fairly literal too.

It just doesn't actually tell anyone much. Heh.

Jaycemonde
2013-09-09, 10:57 AM
Mine is the way people who aren't from Texas tend to pronounce the name of the city I reside in, and it's also a poorly-executed pun referencing the way Hewlett-Packard, Texas Instruments and a sizable portion of Dell are located here.

Amidus Drexel
2013-09-09, 01:11 PM
Mine's a reference to both the setting of a video game series and an actual star system. Bonus points to the people that know what I'm talking about without looking it up. :smalltongue:

Cuthalion
2013-09-09, 01:35 PM
Pretty literal here.

Though, I mean, it's a real location, but in English.

Traab
2013-09-09, 02:35 PM
Mine is, "Right Behind You" Because thats how I used to answer those godawful AOL instant messages with "a/s/l?" in them. 32/m/right behind you. I was 14 at the time.

Castaras
2013-09-09, 03:02 PM
A long time ago the location field allowed more characters than it currently does. Quite a few of us took the opportunity to make the location have a fake gender field, or other similar fields.

Keris
2013-09-09, 03:36 PM
Mine's fairly simple. 'Airstrip One' is the name used in Nineteen Eighty-Four for England/Britain, and I live in southern England. So yeah. Been meaning to change it for a while, but on the other hand if it ain't broke...

A long time ago the location field allowed more characters than it currently does. Quite a few of us took the opportunity to make the location have a fake gender field, or other similar fields. My understanding is that I missed this by a half-year or so, and I often get a twinge of envy when I see the likes of Aotrs Commander (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=22242) and Lord Fullbladder (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=11052) around.
( :smalltongue: )

nedz
2013-09-09, 04:01 PM
Mine's a reference to both the setting of a video game series and an actual star system. Bonus points to the people that know what I'm talking about without looking it up. :smalltongue:

I always assumed this was a reference to an old programming language :smallamused:

Oh, and my location is entirely literal.

Moriwen
2013-09-09, 04:23 PM
Mine is what I always put in location fields online: the full version is "Hiding in the Wardrobe with my Laptop." Narnia reference, obviously.

Klanos
2013-09-09, 07:30 PM
This turned out better than I thought! I'd like to see more! :D

Surfing HalfOrc
2013-09-09, 07:42 PM
I am where I say I am. I figure being an expat is exotic enough.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-09-09, 07:53 PM
Mine is somewhere in Florida or something.

Drakeburn
2013-09-09, 09:00 PM
Well, my location is based on one of the locations in the first Drizzt book I've ever read: The Halfling's Gem.

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-09, 09:04 PM
...what is a "location part"?

Belkar_Fett
2013-09-09, 11:39 PM
Mine is somewhere in Florida or something.

But...in your profile it says Minnesota.:smallconfused: I'M SO CONFUSED!!!:smalleek:

TheThan
2013-09-10, 01:28 AM
G.I Joe headquarters is a secret military installation, the location of which I cannot divulge due to security reasons.

KuReshtin
2013-09-10, 05:37 AM
I am where I say I am. I figure being an expat is exotic enough.

Pretty much the same. Although Largs isn't really exotic.
We did get a new statue of a huge metal viking the other week, though.
Commemorating the 750th anniversary of a big viking battle.
He's called Magnus.

Serpentine
2013-09-10, 06:04 AM
Awwww maaaaaan. NOW you get a big metal Viking?! And I'm getting notifications for library assistant jobs there too, now. Tch.

KuReshtin
2013-09-10, 06:41 AM
Awwww maaaaaan. NOW you get a big metal Viking?! And I'm getting notifications for library assistant jobs there too, now. Tch.

Well, you weren't here during the 750 year anniversary of the Battle of Largs. :smalltongue:
I'll try to get round to getting a pic of Magnus posted for you to see. :smallsmile:

FinnLassie
2013-09-10, 07:00 AM
Well, you weren't here during the 750 year anniversary of the Battle of Largs. :smalltongue:
I'll try to get round to getting a pic of Magnus posted for you to see. :smallsmile:

My friend kept on bugging me about the battle of Largs. I then had to remind him that 1) I'm Finnish and 2) Finns were not vikings. He's still having a hard time believing me though thanks to all the heavy metal music...

Hmm... I might as well go and check out Magnus myself at some point. A little Largs adventure won't hurt me, I suppose. :smallcool:

Castaras
2013-09-10, 07:05 AM
My friend kept on bugging me about the battle of Largs. I then had to remind him that 1) I'm Finnish and 2) Finns were not vikings. He's still having a hard time believing me though thanks to all the heavy metal music...

Hmm... I might as well go and check out Magnus myself at some point. A little Largs adventure won't hurt me, I suppose. :smallcool:

Just show them this (http://satwcomic.com/good-to-see-you-england) and this (http://satwcomic.com/how-the-north-works), and say that the scandinavians are the vikings. :smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2013-09-10, 07:21 AM

Magnus is right across the street from nardini's, which serve home-made ice cream. Very good ice cream, albeit overpriced.
Also, there's an award-winning Chippie as well, if you're so inclined.
And Vikingar!, the viking exhibition place as well, that I haven't actually been to, even if I've lived in Largs for over 10 years now.

Oh, and they built a viking out of flowers as well:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LCh7ytZ9wW4/UhfHQ0KuJNI/AAAAAAAAaX0/yQuLfJUjm3M/s640/Floral+Viking.jpg
Not sure if the image will work, as the actual site for it is blocked at work, but still.

Serpentine
2013-09-10, 07:27 AM
Picture works. Neat! And I went to Vikingar! but it was closed.

I'll try to get round to getting a pic of Magnus posted for you to see. :smallsmile:Missed a 750 year anniversary by one year.
Yeah, that sounds like me :smallsigh:

Thank you ^_^

FinnLassie
2013-09-10, 07:28 AM
Just show them this (http://satwcomic.com/good-to-see-you-england) and this (http://satwcomic.com/how-the-north-works), and say that the scandinavians are the vikings. :smalltongue:

You have no idea how many times I need to tell people I'm not Scandinavian... And when I've explained, they go "well, they teach us differently in school!" :smallsigh:

Magnus is right across the street from nardini's, which serve home-made ice cream. Very good ice cream, albeit overpriced.
Also, there's an award-winning Chippie as well, if you're so inclined.
And Vikingar!, the viking exhibition place as well, that I haven't actually been to, even if I've lived in Largs for over 10 years now.

Oh, and they built a viking out of flowers as well:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LCh7ytZ9wW4/UhfHQ0KuJNI/AAAAAAAAaX0/yQuLfJUjm3M/s640/Floral+Viking.jpg
Not sure if the image will work, as the actual site for it is blocked at work, but still.

Sigh, I wish I wasn't allergic to dairy, now. A lot of people have been praising Nardini's! The chip shop, however, is relevant to my interests. :smalltongue:

That viking is just utterly and butterly cutiefals!

Serpentine
2013-09-10, 07:31 AM
Are you around Largs, FinnLassie?

FinnLassie
2013-09-10, 07:33 AM
Are you around Largs, FinnLassie?

Glasgow, so takes like 45 mins by train, I'd assume? :smallconfused: *doesn't know*

Serpentine
2013-09-10, 07:37 AM
Yeah, not far. A day trip easy. I was there last year :smallbiggrin:

Elemental
2013-09-10, 07:40 AM
You people and your travel... I'm just going to sit here in my tower of darkness, look out across the Abyss and entertain myself by throwing shadow puppets onto the endless banks of fog.

KuReshtin
2013-09-10, 08:20 AM
Picture works. Neat! And I went to Vikingar! but it was closed.
Missed a 750 year anniversary by one year.
Yeah, that sounds like me :smallsigh:

Thank you ^_^

I didn't even know it was the 750-year anniversary until someone mentioned that they would have two different viking villages at the viking festival this year because of the anniversary.

I did a 360-degree animated pic of the flower viking, but I can't find it right now. Will look for it when I get back home and post it.

Sigh, I wish I wasn't allergic to dairy, now. A lot of people have been praising Nardini's! The chip shop, however, is relevant to my interests. :smalltongue:

Nardini's also have home-made sorbet which, I believe, are dairy-free.
Not that I'm trying to tempt you or anything. :smallbiggrin:

Glasgow, so takes like 45 mins by train, I'd assume? :smallconfused: *doesn't know*

Train from Glasgow Central to Largs usually takes about an hour and ten minutes or so.

FinnLassie
2013-09-10, 08:55 AM
Nardini's also have home-made sorbet which, I believe, are dairy-free.
Not that I'm trying to tempt you or anything. :smallbiggrin:

Train from Glasgow Central to Largs usually takes about an hour and ten minutes or so.

Damn it, Kurre, you're just building up reasons for me to pay a wee visit to Largs now... :smallyuk: :smallbiggrin:

Ah, yeah. I was thinking about how long it takes by car. Well, still not too bad.

KuReshtin
2013-09-10, 09:31 AM
Damn it, Kurre, you're just building up reasons for me to pay a wee visit to Largs now... :smallyuk: :smallbiggrin:

Ah, yeah. I was thinking about how long it takes by car. Well, still not too bad.

About 45 minutes by car from Glasgow. quickest way is to take the A737 towards Irvine as you travel along the M8 at the airport, then take the exit towards Lochwinnoch, through Kilbirnie and then on to Largs.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-09-10, 10:13 AM
If KuReshtin got on a train in Largs headed to Glasgow at 40 K/H, and FinLassie got on a train in Glasgow head for Largs at 36 K/H, would they meet in the middle faster or slower than a viking raid would take to pillage a village? :smallamused:

Hiro Protagonest
2013-09-10, 11:01 AM
But...in your profile it says Minnesota.:smallconfused: I'M SO CONFUSED!!!:smalleek:

It was a joke Garrison Keillor made once.

I also remember another joke made on a show called Corner Gas. "Yeah, I have to sue some place called... Sacatchajam? It's in Canada or Minnesota or something. Look 'em up and get them on the phone."

Morgarion
2013-09-10, 11:07 AM
What up Minnesota? Are you in the metro area or out in the middle of nowhere somewhere?

INDYSTAR188
2013-09-10, 12:39 PM
My location currently says "Citadel Adbar" because I like Dwarves more than the other playable D&D races (sorry Drow and Kobolds :smallcool:).

After reading some others (maybe it was Serpentine's?) saying they post where they're currently at in their campaigns I was thinking about changing mine to "The siege of Arabel".

And literally after I typed the above I thought it might be cool to post "USS BOXER" because that's the ship I was on deployment with or maybe the port calls we took or keeping with Naval tradition I could put Davy Jones Locker or something similar...

Belkar_Fett
2013-09-10, 06:59 PM
It was a joke Garrison Keillor made once.

I also remember another joke made on a show called Corner Gas. "Yeah, I have to sue some place called... Sacatchajam? It's in Canada or Minnesota or something. Look 'em up and get them on the phone."

:smallconfused:

Yeah, still confused and have no idea what you're talking about.

gurgleflep
2013-09-10, 07:13 PM
Mine's just poking fun at the state I live in - Missouri. If you couldn't tell, I don't like it :smalltongue:

Morgarion
2013-09-10, 07:24 PM
:smallconfused:

Garrison Keillor is the mind behind Prairie Home Companion. It's a radio show that is popular here. And other places, I suppose.

Cuthalion
2013-09-10, 08:10 PM
Garrison Keillor is the mind behind Prairie Home Companion. It's a radio show that is popular here. And other places, I suppose.

A wonderful show. He's great. :smallcool:

denthor
2013-09-10, 08:17 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0226.html
What up Minnesota? Are you in the metro area or out in the middle of nowhere somewhere? He is closer to anywhere and in the middle of somewhere

Fixed for you

Belkar_Fett

But Belkar_Fett is still correct

JoshL
2013-09-10, 09:02 PM
Whether Pittsburgh is a real place or not can be debated. Either way, I'm there.

KuReshtin
2013-09-11, 03:30 AM
If KuReshtin got on a train in Largs headed to Glasgow at 40 K/H, and FinLassie got on a train in Glasgow head for Largs at 36 K/H, would they meet in the middle faster or slower than a viking raid would take to pillage a village? :smallamused:

I don't take the train anymore. I drive a car. Quicker, more convenient and possibly cheaper.

But to answer your question, the answer is: Buckfast Tonic Wine

Killer Angel
2013-09-11, 05:55 AM
My location says where I live.
Maybe a little unimaginative, but at least you know where I'm from. :smallwink:

Belkar_Fett
2013-09-11, 09:39 AM

So...they are from Minnesota?:smallconfused:

Thursday
2013-09-11, 10:10 AM
Whether Pittsburgh is a real place or not can be debated. Either way, I'm there.

This pretty much perfectly expresses my relationship with Gwynedd, where I am currently getting rained on. Like it.