PDA

View Full Version : Fist Domain

Sziget Pengék
2013-09-09, 12:53 AM
I've been thinking of building a sacred fist/unarmed cleric centered domain, meant to take full advantage of unarmed attacks and touch attacks. I havent gotten very far. I have/need:

Domain Ability:

1: Spell Flower
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:

Listening to all suggestions but would like to note my aversion towards turning/rebuking undead as i feel it is far to situational to be a proper class ability.

ArcturusV
2013-09-09, 12:58 AM
One of the OA Monk PrCs has an interesting power I'd actually kinda like to see for something like that (Or a slight variation). It's a 30' gaze attack that results in forcing the target to make a will save. If they fail you and the target cannot use any Spellcasting/SLAs/Su abilities for as long as they are in your presence.

Because badass monk staredown to challenge to Fisticuffs sounds like a good sort of ability for a Sacred Fisting Cleric to have.

Maginomicon
2013-09-09, 03:56 AM
You may want to look at this page of domains (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/JHtB/domains.html) and the following list. Some of these domains may already accomplish what you're looking for (such as the Strength or Wrath domains)

Army (Dragon Magazine #317 page 78)
Avarice (Dragon Magazine #323 page 63)
Beguilement (Dragon Magazine #312 page 50)
Charity (Dragon Magazine #355 page 25)
Chastity (Dragon Magazine #355 page 25)
Chromatic Dragon (Dragon Magazine #344 page 107)
Deathless (Dragon Magazine #319 page 52)
Emotion (Dragon Magazine #340 page 54)
Envy (Dragon Magazine #323 page 63)
Gem Dragon (Dragon Magazine #344 page 107)
Generosity (Dragon Magazine #355 page 26)
Gluttony (Dragon Magazine #323 page 63)
Hope (Dragon Magazine #340 page 46)
Humility (Dragon Magazine #355 page 28)
Hunger (Dragon Magazine #312 page 70)
Hunt (Dragon Magazine #342 page 89)
Life (Dragon Magazine #319 page 52)
Lung Dragon (Dragon Magazine #344 page 107)
Lust (Dragon Magazine #323 page 63)
Metallic Dragon (Dragon Magazine #344 page 107)
Night (Dragon Magazine #342 page 89)
Patience (Dragon Magazine #355 page 28)
Pride (Dragon Magazine #323 page 64)
Radiance (Dragon Magazine #321 page 68)
Seduction (Dragon Magazine #312 page 50)
Sloth (Dragon Magazine #323 page 64)
Spirit (Dragon Magazine #312 page 36)
Temperance (Dragon Magazine #355 page 29)
Undead (Dragon Magazine #312 page 37)
Wrath (Dragon Magazine #323 page 64)
Zeal (Dragon Magazine #355 page 30)

MrNobody
2013-09-09, 05:55 AM
Here's my idea:

Domain Ability: the character gain Superior Unarmed strike (ToB pag. 33), even if he doesn't meet the prerequisite. If he hasn't Improved unarmed strike, he still inflict only nonlethal damage and he isn't considered to be armed when unarmed.

2: Blood Wind (Spell Comp.)
3: Ghost touch weapon (unarmed strike only)(Spell Comp.)
4: Greater magic weapon (PH)
5: Rusting grasp (PH)
6: Spectral touch (Spell Comp.)
7: Emerald flame fist (Spell Comp.)
8: Bigby's cleched fist
9:

No idea for the 9th level spell... i was thinking about "Crushing fist of spite" from Book of Vile darkness, but it would require you to be Evil.
I used "no-damage" spell for the first four slots because, as a cleric, you could convert spells in "Inflict" touch spell if evil or neutral. Even if good aligned, converting "cure" spells will be helpful for harming undead.

prufock
2013-09-09, 06:29 AM
Domain Ability: the character gain Superior Unarmed strike (ToB pag. 33), even if he doesn't meet the prerequisite. If he hasn't Improved unarmed strike, he still inflict only nonlethal damage and he isn't considered to be armed when unarmed.
Personal opinion, it would make more sense to have the domain grant you Improved Unarmed Strike, and if you already have that feat, deal extra damage.

I'm surprised Mighty Wallop and Greater MW aren't on your spell list.

Vaz
2013-09-09, 06:35 AM
Greater Mighty Wallop.
Enlarge Person.
Stone fist.
Freedom of Movement
blood wind.
girallons blessing.

Domain Power; gain Superior unarmed strike, or Stunning Fist as a bonus feat.

MrNobody
2013-09-09, 08:38 AM
Personal opinion, it would make more sense to have the domain grant you Improved Unarmed Strike, and if you already have that feat, deal extra damage.

I'm surprised Mighty Wallop and Greater MW aren't on your spell list.

Since the request was for a "sacred fist" i assumed he wanted to take a few level in monk, so he would have got Improved Unarmed Strike as bonus feat. Even if not, he would have been forced to that that feat anyway, so i felt like giving the next step for free.
More, the name "fist domain" gave me an idea of "damage", so i prefered that feat.

The request was to "to take full advantage of unarmed attacks and touch attacks". So i prefered to enhance the chances to hit (at distance with blood wind, incorporeal with ghost touch weapon) than improving damage that was just improved with the domain power.

Nightraiderx
2013-09-09, 12:51 PM
If you want it to stack then try this for a domain power

Domain Power: Your cleric level stacks with your monk levels for the purposes of your improved unarmed strike progression. If you have no monk levels, you instead gain superior unarmed strike without having to meet the prerequisites.

holywhippet
2013-09-09, 04:44 PM
Earth hammer
Belker claws
Brilliant Blade

Domain power: The critical score for your unarmed strikes improves by 1 for range. If your critical score for unarmed strikes is the standard x2 it changes to 19-20/×2.

ArcturusV
2013-09-09, 04:47 PM
Odd question: What would a Fist Domain Devotion be?

Vaz
2013-09-09, 05:01 PM
For a minute, ignore all Hardness and Damage reduction? Burn 2 uses of turn undead to reuse?

Qc Storm
2013-09-09, 05:10 PM
I read the thread title as Fish Domain.

Got really confused while reading the thread.

Sziget Pengék
2013-09-26, 12:16 AM
Fist Domain:
Abillity: Add all combat touch spells from the sor/wiz list to your spell list.

This Domain counts as Combat casting for the purposes of meeting the prerequisites for a feat or prestige class.

1: Enlarge Person
2: True Strike(unarmed, melee touch)
3: Girallon's Blessing
4: Fire Shield
5: Enlarge Person, Greater
6: [Bigby's] Forceful Hand
7: Emerald Flame Fist
8: [Bigby's] Clenched Fist
9: [Bigby's] Crushing Hand

How does that look to everyone?

John Longarrow
2013-09-26, 12:51 AM
Do you want to give it ranged attacks (The bigby's spells) instead of keeping it "Fist-centric" on your fists? Body of Iron would seem a good choice. Maybe Stone body earlier? And Divine Power seems right at home, more so than Fire shield.

Sziget Pengék
2013-09-26, 01:39 AM
Do you want to give it ranged attacks (The bigby's spells) instead of keeping it "Fist-centric" on your fists? Body of Iron would seem a good choice. Maybe Stone body earlier? And Divine Power seems right at home, more so than Fire shield.

I'd prefer to avoid ranged spells, but i feel like the bigby's spells fit within flavour enough to let slide in lieu of better options. Iron Body and Stone Body slow me down too much, and the minus to dex is not pleasant for a monkish character. Divine Power is pretty good though, thanks for that, that is probably getting subbed in. Fire shield would do its damage on unarmed attacks due to my body and theirs coming into contact, fits with the touch attacks as well as the Sacred Fist's ability to light on fire.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-09-26, 01:44 AM
If it helps at all, my group made up several deities for a game once. One of them was...

Chan
Chan
Drunken Master, Battle Artist, The Impressive One
Intermediate Diety
Symbol: Crossed sword and flute
Home Plane: Ysgard
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Portfolio: Entertainment, Martial Arts, Performance Arts
Worshipers: Bards, Martial Adepts, Entertainers
Cleric Alignments: CG, N, CN, CE
Domains: Chaos, Luck, Celerity, Courage, Competition, Pride
Psionic Mantles: Chaos, Conflict, Freedom, Physical Power
Favored Weapon: Unarmed Strike
(NOTE: If a Favored Soul or Cleric of Chan should gain "Weapon Proficiency (Unarmed Strike)" he instead gains "Improved Unarmed Strike." If Spiritual Weapon or a similar effect is cast, the resulting magical floating fist does 1d10 damage with a threat range of 20/x2)

Chan teaches the importance of being impressive in your artistic endeavors. How well you do is not so important as how well people believe you do. Chan appears as a young man of eastern descent, usually in light armor.
Dogma: While many dieties teach the importance of skill, Chan makes a point that performance is as important as power, and you should try to please your spectators. He encourages all forms of arts and teaches that beauty and form are the ultimate goals to happiness. Chan also teaches that you can win many battles by looking impressive, even without having to fight. It is better to be impressive than good.
Clergy: Clerics of Chan wear red, elaborately designed outfits designed with manueverability in mind. Many clerics of Chan are multiclass Swordsages, and thus wear light armor.
Quests: Chan's followers often quest to learn secret techniques, to challenge old masters, and to place themselves above others in their chosen field of art.
Prayers: Prayers to Chan are always elaborate and usually sung. As many poets favor Chan, many of the world's most complex and beautiful prayers are devoted to him.
Temples: Temples to Chan are usually public places, filled with entertainment and arts of all forms. Most have stages to perform plays and hold concerts. Others include training grounds for martial adepts.
Rites: Chan's worshippers have frequent and public contests of all sorts, with the winners recognized as the best in their fields. These contests begin, close, and are often peppered with songs and prayers.
Heralds and allies: Chan's heralds are a 10th level Valkyrie Swordsage and a 10th level Lillend Bard. Allies are Medium Fire Elementals, Valkyrie (Bo9S), and Marilith Demons.

Spells:
Weapon of the Diety: +1 Lucky Unarmed Strike
Deific Bastion: Hammerblock (DR 5/slashing or piercing)
Divine Retribution: Fire, Dexterity
Footsteps of the Divine: Climb 30 ft.
Interfaith Blessing: Random

Initiate feat:
Flashy Fighter [Initiate]
Prerequisites: Patron Deity: Chan, Divine caster level 5th, Improved Unarmed Strike

Your unarmed strikes count as both natural and manufactured weapons for the purpose of your own spells. You gain a +2 bonus on all bull rush, disarm, overrun, and trip checks as well as a +2 bonus to feint in combat.

Add the following spells to your divine spell list:

2nd- Ironthunder Horn (Spell Compendium)
3rd- Greater Mighty Wallop (Races of the dragon)
3rd- Weapon of Impact (Spell Compendium)
5th- Telekinesis (PH, use Wisdom if that is primary casting stat)
8th- Giant Size (Complete Arcane)

Special Holy Symbol:
Bladed Flute of Chan: This piccolo shaped like a dagger (or dagger shaped like a piccolo) does a poor job when actually used for either function. Though it is not necessary to blow through the flute while casting, many of his followers choose to.
When brought to the caster's mouth during a casting of Luck domain spells or spells that have the sonic descriptor, the Bladed Flute of Chan increases your effective caster level by 1.

Favored Soul variant rules:
Favored of Chan
Class: Favored Soul
Level: 1st
Special Requirement: You must be devoted to Chan to select this class feature.
Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain the Weapon Focus feat with your deity's favored weapon at 3rd level, and you do not gain the Weapon Specialization feat with your deity's favored weapon at 12th level.
Benefit: At 1st level, you gain the feat Improved Unarmed Strike
At 3rd level, you gain the feat Superior Unarmed Strike.
At 12th level, you gain the feat Stunning Fist. You may attempt a stunning attack a number of times per day equal to your favored soul level, plus one more time per day for every four levels you have in classes other than favored soul.

Sziget Pengék
2013-09-26, 02:06 AM
If it helps at all, my group made up several deities for a game once. One of them was...

Chan
Chan
Drunken Master, Battle Artist, The Impressive One
Intermediate Diety
Symbol: Crossed sword and flute
Home Plane: Ysgard
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Portfolio: Entertainment, Martial Arts, Performance Arts
Worshipers: Bards, Martial Adepts, Entertainers
Cleric Alignments: CG, N, CN, CE
Domains: Chaos, Luck, Celerity, Courage, Competition, Pride
Psionic Mantles: Chaos, Conflict, Freedom, Physical Power
Favored Weapon: Unarmed Strike
(NOTE: If a Favored Soul or Cleric of Chan should gain "Weapon Proficiency (Unarmed Strike)" he instead gains "Improved Unarmed Strike." If Spiritual Weapon or a similar effect is cast, the resulting magical floating fist does 1d10 damage with a threat range of 20/x2)

Chan teaches the importance of being impressive in your artistic endeavors. How well you do is not so important as how well people believe you do. Chan appears as a young man of eastern descent, usually in light armor.
Dogma: While many dieties teach the importance of skill, Chan makes a point that performance is as important as power, and you should try to please your spectators. He encourages all forms of arts and teaches that beauty and form are the ultimate goals to happiness. Chan also teaches that you can win many battles by looking impressive, even without having to fight. It is better to be impressive than good.
Clergy: Clerics of Chan wear red, elaborately designed outfits designed with manueverability in mind. Many clerics of Chan are multiclass Swordsages, and thus wear light armor.
Quests: Chan's followers often quest to learn secret techniques, to challenge old masters, and to place themselves above others in their chosen field of art.
Prayers: Prayers to Chan are always elaborate and usually sung. As many poets favor Chan, many of the world's most complex and beautiful prayers are devoted to him.
Temples: Temples to Chan are usually public places, filled with entertainment and arts of all forms. Most have stages to perform plays and hold concerts. Others include training grounds for martial adepts.
Rites: Chan's worshippers have frequent and public contests of all sorts, with the winners recognized as the best in their fields. These contests begin, close, and are often peppered with songs and prayers.
Heralds and allies: Chan's heralds are a 10th level Valkyrie Swordsage and a 10th level Lillend Bard. Allies are Medium Fire Elementals, Valkyrie (Bo9S), and Marilith Demons.

Spells:
Weapon of the Diety: +1 Lucky Unarmed Strike
Deific Bastion: Hammerblock (DR 5/slashing or piercing)
Divine Retribution: Fire, Dexterity
Footsteps of the Divine: Climb 30 ft.
Interfaith Blessing: Random

Initiate feat:
Flashy Fighter [Initiate]
Prerequisites: Patron Deity: Chan, Divine caster level 5th, Improved Unarmed Strike

Your unarmed strikes count as both natural and manufactured weapons for the purpose of your own spells. You gain a +2 bonus on all bull rush, disarm, overrun, and trip checks as well as a +2 bonus to feint in combat.

Add the following spells to your divine spell list:

2nd- Ironthunder Horn (Spell Compendium)
3rd- Greater Mighty Wallop (Races of the dragon)
3rd- Weapon of Impact (Spell Compendium)
5th- Telekinesis (PH, use Wisdom if that is primary casting stat)
8th- Giant Size (Complete Arcane)

Special Holy Symbol:
Bladed Flute of Chan: This piccolo shaped like a dagger (or dagger shaped like a piccolo) does a poor job when actually used for either function. Though it is not necessary to blow through the flute while casting, many of his followers choose to.
When brought to the caster's mouth during a casting of Luck domain spells or spells that have the sonic descriptor, the Bladed Flute of Chan increases your effective caster level by 1.

Favored Soul variant rules:
Favored of Chan
Class: Favored Soul
Level: 1st
Special Requirement: You must be devoted to Chan to select this class feature.
Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain the Weapon Focus feat with your deity's favored weapon at 3rd level, and you do not gain the Weapon Specialization feat with your deity's favored weapon at 12th level.
Benefit: At 1st level, you gain the feat Improved Unarmed Strike
At 3rd level, you gain the feat Superior Unarmed Strike.
At 12th level, you gain the feat Stunning Fist. You may attempt a stunning attack a number of times per day equal to your favored soul level, plus one more time per day for every four levels you have in classes other than favored soul.

Not for this particular character, but this would have been great for my old bard, he played harmonica and had much of the same philosophy. If i ever play that game again this is getting added in haha.

Fyermind
2013-09-26, 02:31 AM
Domain Ability:
Add your cleric level to your unarmed strike damage. You may use wisdom rather than strength for your bonus to hit.

2: Blood Wind
3: Greater Mighty wallop
4: Divine Power
5: Righteous Might
6: Harm
7: Emerald Flame fist
8: Giant Size
9: make up a new spell that does something really cool with unarmed strikes

Domain Devotion:
As a full round action you can take a special full attack action in which you can channel any spell you have prepared through each of your unarmed strike attacks. You must declare each spell before you make your attack role and lose the spell if you miss. This feat may be used once per day. If you expend 2 uses of turn undead, you may use it again.

SilverSavio
2013-09-26, 04:24 AM
Well I think there should be one spell created for this domain...and I should be called Fist. So that a Muscle Cleric can cast it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7RosIoQisA)

Sziget Pengék
2013-09-26, 11:53 AM
Well I think there should be one spell created for this domain...and I should be called Fist. So that a Muscle Cleric can cast it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7RosIoQisA)

That is pretty much Bigby's Crushing Hand haha.

Forrestfire
2013-09-26, 12:03 PM
No Fist domain would be complete without Crushing Fist of Spite.

I mean, just look at the thing:
http://i.imgur.com/wMDSEoK.png

Although you probably want to waive the material component, because needing a good cleric's severed hand is kinda gross :smalltongue: