PDA

View Full Version : Support Atypical Neurologies in the Playground thread 1(let's try to keep this in one thread)

Pages : [1] 2

Reality Glitch
2013-09-09, 12:34 PM
(( Inspired by the LGBTAQ+itP thread series. )) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299934)

Greetings programs,

This is the first of a new thread series focusing on Autism and other forms of neurologically atypicality. The thread is to support, celebrate and discuss anything that falls outside the bounds of what is neurotypical.

It is first of all a support thread, and then an education thread.

If you have a question or two about autism-related matters, you can ask it here! You can ask for advice and support in here. And you can just hang out with all of the lovely people, too, if you like.

In addition, members are encouraged to give private advice one on one, either through email or PM. The best way to do this is asking for PM help in thread, or else to PM one of the people who have stated that there PM box is open.

Some people are also willing to talk off-board, through Skype or email or other means, this is especially useful if your question involves board-forbidden topics such as religion or politics. Also, we can't (and ethically shouldn't!) give medical advice. If you need medical advice, please see a professional!

Here are the rules of this thread!

Everyone is welcome. Let's try to keep from seeming otherwise.
Keep this topic free of politics and religion. (so, don't violate the board rules, plz)
Please refrain from posting sexually explicit content. (Keep it friendly as well as board safe :smallsmile:)
If you know something's a trigger for someone, please put it in a spoiler with a relevant tag in front of it.
If the thread get off topic use this.http://cw-chronicles.com/anecdotes/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/derailed-train.jpg
http://cw-chronicles.com/anecdotes/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/derailed-train.jpg

If there is anything on the internet pertaining to autism and other mental and/or psychological abmormalities, please feel free to ask for it to be in this post (a.k.a. the first post).

End of Line.

Castaras
2013-09-09, 12:46 PM
Aspie reporting in, sah!

*grabs nearby sofa*

Interesting that I noticed this thread just as I was going to be ranting in the personal woes and advice thread... Better suited here, considering it's about my anxiety that comes from being aspergers...

So, backstory. Aspergers noticed when little, help all the way throuhg primary and secondary, hours removed at 16 because I was coping so well, reach university I wanted to go to to do maths. One year of maths and I find I don't like it, failed a module, and switched to physics. After first semester of physics have a breakdown when it comes to assessments and exams. Continue to spiral further and further down due to anxiety. At some point I went to the accessability centre nearby to get help. I had been put on their register when I started maths, but I assumed I wouldn't need help.

Now today. A week ago I did two physics resits, and did badly in both. I don't know the exact mark, but I didn't answer enough questions to get a passing grade. Come to the decision that I'm going to try one last time to get a degree, now that I have help from the university in place.

I'm going to be a fresher for the the third bloody year running. And I'm going to have 5 years worth of debt to pay off, *if* I succeed. And if I fail? I'll have 3 years of debt and the only thing I got out of it was being able to put on the CV "Member of Council for Uni Society 2 years running". Which would then likely lead to the job people asking why I was part of a uni society but didn't have a degree.

@!$!$"*("$"()$&"$"£(*^!£(*!£(!*&$!)($. I just want things to work out. I want a degree, so that I can get a job that won't drive me crazy. I just want to finish the academic side of university as quickly as possible so that I can get into the real world.

Graghaghioagaiog. Rage face. All because of being terrified of things. It took me about 10 years to beat my fear/anxiety of injections enough to be able to have blood tests without fainting. I just hope the help is enough to get through my anxiety when I start this year.

On the plus side, I'm going into a course that a friend of mine is starting this year. And my boyfriend did a similar course. So fingers crossed.

Lord_Gareth
2013-09-09, 12:50 PM
Aspie kid here. I'll give the blow-by-blow when I have spare time; I've gotta go in ten minutes here.

HalfTangible
2013-09-09, 01:13 PM
So apparently I have aspbergers. I say 'apparently' because I've just been diagnosed with it - I'm not entirely sure what it means. :smallconfused:

Jormengand
2013-09-09, 01:17 PM
Just reporting in as someone to talk to if people need it.

Aspie reporting in, sah!

*grabs nearby sofa*

Interesting that I noticed this thread just as I was going to be ranting in the personal woes and advice thread... Better suited here, considering it's about my anxiety that comes from being aspergers...

So, backstory. Aspergers noticed when little, help all the way throuhg primary and secondary, hours removed at 16 because I was coping so well, reach university I wanted to go to to do maths. One year of maths and I find I don't like it, failed a module, and switched to physics. After first semester of physics have a breakdown when it comes to assessments and exams. Continue to spiral further and further down due to anxiety. At some point I went to the accessability centre nearby to get help. I had been put on their register when I started maths, but I assumed I wouldn't need help.

Now today. A week ago I did two physics resits, and did badly in both. I don't know the exact mark, but I didn't answer enough questions to get a passing grade. Come to the decision that I'm going to try one last time to get a degree, now that I have help from the university in place.

I'm going to be a fresher for the the third bloody year running. And I'm going to have 5 years worth of debt to pay off, *if* I succeed. And if I fail? I'll have 3 years of debt and the only thing I got out of it was being able to put on the CV "Member of Council for Uni Society 2 years running". Which would then likely lead to the job people asking why I was part of a uni society but didn't have a degree.

@!$!$"*("$"()$&"$"£(*^!£(*!£(!*&$!)($. I just want things to work out. I want a degree, so that I can get a job that won't drive me crazy. I just want to finish the academic side of university as quickly as possible so that I can get into the real world.

Graghaghioagaiog. Rage face. All because of being terrified of things. It took me about 10 years to beat my fear/anxiety of injections enough to be able to have blood tests without fainting. I just hope the help is enough to get through my anxiety when I start this year.

On the plus side, I'm going into a course that a friend of mine is starting this year. And my boyfriend did a similar course. So fingers crossed.

I'm not sure really what to suggest, but beating yourself up will only make it worse. Stay with your friends, help each other out. Not sure what else to suggest. I also have a habit of repeating myself, don't worry about that. I also have a habit of repeating myself, don't worry about that.

In all seriousness, I'm sorry about your situation. You have support from me, if not help. Welcome to the thread.

Aspie kid here. I'll give the blow-by-blow when I have spare time; I've gotta go in ten minutes here.

Welcome, kiddo. Enjoy your stay.

So apparently I have aspbergers. I say 'apparently' because I've just been diagnosed with it - I'm not entirely sure what it means. :smallconfused:

Welcome! Only just noticed your post, I'll edit in an answer so watch this space.

Temotei
2013-09-09, 01:23 PM
Maybe we could change the thread title to "Disorders in the Playground." It'd be more of a coverall than just autism spectrum disorder. Not that I think LGBT should be LGBTQQIRRI...or whatever it is now, but more than a single set of disorders would more accurately convey the thread's purpose, I think.

My brother has autism and I have generalized anxiety disorder.

For those who don't know, generalized anxiety disorder means I have anxiety about...everything. Yep. Pretty much. The name fits. :smalltongue:

My little brother was diagnosed when he was two, I think. So 1998. I was diagnosed some time after my parents' divorce, so maybe 2001 or 2002. I don't remember because I didn't know I was diagnosed at the time. Me mum told me when I was applying to college and one of the questions was, "Do you have a mental disorder?" I was about to say no and then Mum corrected me. :smalleek:

So yeah. Background done. Hello, everybody.

Oh, and I'm 21 and my brother's 16 (turning 17 in a couple of months).

Jormengand
2013-09-09, 01:28 PM
Welcome! Only just noticed your post, I'll edit in an answer so watch this space.

Or, I could make a new post for it.

Asperger Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome) is a mental disorder which affects people's understanding of, and ability to partake in, social interaction. It often correlates with high intelligence, but those who have it might not understand people's meanings in spoken or written language, and in extreme cases do not understand when people are using metaphors.

They often have restricted interests, which do not include what other people think about these interests, or much else. Some people with it are extremely likely to choose unfeeling reason over emotional responses, which (along with often exceptional intelligence) is why it is supposedly inadvisable to mess with autistic mathematicians.

Those with Asperger syndrome often also have strange manners of speaking, such as the technically correct and yet strange way in which I am currently writing.

Maybe we could change the thread title to "Disorders in the Playground." It'd be more of a coverall than just autism spectrum disorder. Not that I think LGBT should be LGBTQQIRRI...or whatever it is now, but more than a single set of disorders would more accurately convey the thread's purpose, I think.

The trouble with that is the same problem I have with grouping all the LGB people with T* people - it's not the same thing, and it should be treated differently.

In any case, welcome to the thread.

Astrella
2013-09-09, 01:32 PM
The trouble with that is the same problem I have with grouping all the LGB people with T* people - it's not the same thing, and it should be treated differently.

In any case, welcome to the thread.

Uh, there are good reasons for it being LGBT...

QueerKitty
2013-09-09, 01:34 PM
I find I can pretty much always tells when someone has some form of autism/Asperger's (le confirmation bias, but I've helped people seek diagnoses when they didn't know they had it), and usually have problems communicating with and to them in the past. I've usually give up trying to talk to these people (except one of my close friends Brian) just because it can be really frustrating or something. I dunno. Any ways I can change how I feel about the subject to be more accepting?

Temotei
2013-09-09, 02:05 PM

Wait, so you're arguing that it should be Autism Spectrum Disorder in the Playground because people have different disorders? :smallconfused:

Honestly, I think LBGT should just be "Queer in the Playground," but that has some connotations that some people might not take kindly to. It's the acceptable term when you're not sure where I am, though.

Same goes for this, though. "Disorders in the Playground" would cover practically everything the thread stands for, while "ASDitP" only covers a narrow bit in the subject that is psychopathology.

Jormengand
2013-09-09, 02:36 PM
"ASDitP" only covers a narrow bit in the subject that is psychopathology.

Exactly.

Or would you rather just have a "Stuff in the playground" thread?

In any case, you're not going to agree with me and I'm not going to agree with you, so there's no real point on a practical level clogging up the first five pages with random arguing.

noparlpf
2013-09-09, 02:41 PM
Exactly.

In any case, you're not going to agree with me and I'm not going to agree with you, so there's no real point on a practical level clogging up the first five pages with random arguing.

There are levels of gradation between everything and one thing. What's wrong with looking at a general class rather than a single specific item? The world would be boring if we had to, say, pick a single fruit out of the general class fruit and only ever eat that one fruit.

Jormengand
2013-09-09, 02:47 PM
There are levels of gradation between everything and one thing. What's wrong with looking at a general class rather than a single specific item? The world would be boring if we had to, say, pick a single fruit out of the general class fruit and only ever eat that one fruit.

To continue your inadequate parallel, I'm not comparing only eating one to eating lots. I'm comparing having them in separate baskets so that you can find the one you want to throwing them all in a massive basket so that you have to dig through to find what you want.

Reality Glitch
2013-09-09, 02:47 PM
I like that this seems so popular. And thanks for the title change suggestion That'll probably save my but later.

HalfTangible
2013-09-09, 03:04 PM
Uh, there are good reasons for it being LGBT...

It's LGBTA now, actually.

Mina Kobold
2013-09-09, 03:07 PM
Another Aspie here, though I was diagnosed rather late at 14 years of age. Kind of a confusing set of circumstances. ^_^'

Aspie reporting in, sah!

*grabs nearby sofa*

That does sound like a depressing situation to be in, especially if not succeeding means financial trouble. >_<

I completely understand being angry at yourself, but if I may, I don't think it's your fault for being terrified of things. It's a terrible situation when anxiety is punished by the circumstances, but there's nothing wrong with needing support and friends to get through the academic parts of University. I don't know you that well, but you seem very smart and amazing from what I do know, and I doubt there isn't many wonderful non-crazy-making jobs out there beyond Uni.

Hope the help, friends, boyfriend and potentially good course will mean this will be the last year you'll ever need to be a fresher. :smallsmile:

I can empathise with that, what with being diagnosed at 14. If it helps, I see it a bit as a label for personalities with traits in a particular category outside of the neurotypical. In other words, it just means that we differ a bit from the norm when it comes to social understanding and other traits, but generally nothing more or less than any other personality. ^_^

------

As for the title; I like Atypical Neurologies. It fits and includes everyone facing similar issues (akin to why LGBTAitp includes T, because the societal and social issues in our time for gender variance and sexuality are similar and connected). A group specifically for the Autism Spectrum wouldn't be a bad idea, but it doesn't seem necessary at this moment.

noparlpf
2013-09-09, 03:22 PM
To continue your inadequate parallel, I'm not comparing only eating one to eating lots. I'm comparing having them in separate baskets so that you can find the one you want to throwing them all in a massive basket so that you have to dig through to find what you want.

But it does make a fair bit of sense to have fruit all be in one section at the market, right?

Temotei
2013-09-09, 03:28 PM
Exactly.

The first post says anything atypical, so yeah. I was basing my point of view in the discussion on that. I should have been clearer.

Reality Glitch
2013-09-09, 03:34 PM
http://cw-chronicles.com/anecdotes/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/derailed-train.jpg

Astrella
2013-09-09, 03:40 PM
*hugs and sympathies for Cassie*

It's LGBTA now, actually.

Yeah, I know, just using that since it's the most common acronym in general. The specific "conflict" Jormengard was pointing at.

-----

On topic; so... it's pretty likely that I have some form of anxiety disorder and it's been getting worse and worse. My gender therapist recommended I contact an anxiety therapist and gave me a list of phone numbers... but it's been weeks now and I still haven't been able to contact any of them because I just get so anxious about it and I'm not sure how to handle the fact that I'm trans... (like, legal name wise and such.) And it's just, really frustrating me that my anxiety is getting in the way of getting help for my anxiety. :smallsigh:

HalfTangible
2013-09-09, 03:54 PM
A skype chat reveals to me that i may have misspoke - when I said that i'd 'just been diagnosed'... I mean 'ive been diagnosed but see no real evidence of it personally'. I was diagnosed years ago. :smallredface: my bad.

Moriwen
2013-09-09, 04:10 PM
Hello everyone!

As others have said, it's not totally clear to me whether this is meant to be a specifically-autism thread or a generally-nonneurotypical thread (and I'm totally fine with respecting whichever its creator intended) but if it's the latter, I'm thrilled to see it and will be hanging around.

Andraste
2013-09-09, 04:45 PM
Hey there! Mildy autistic (maybe asperger's?) person here

Apparently my parents always knew something was odd about me, and thought that it might be autism, but nothing was ever figured out for certain. I was not told this, though, so I had to figure it out for myself. When I realized I'm trans, I started following other trans people online, and several of them are autistic as well. Because I related to them so much, I looked into it and saw how amazingly well it fit me and explained things that I had always thought were different and wrong about me.

I haven't been diagnosed yet, and I'm not sure what the benefit of it would be. I know I'm autistic, I don't need a doctor to tell me it. Does anyone know if there is a point in seeking a diagnosis, as a (barely) adult?

Temotei
2013-09-09, 05:37 PM
On topic; so... it's pretty likely that I have some form of anxiety disorder and it's been getting worse and worse. My gender therapist recommended I contact an anxiety therapist and gave me a list of phone numbers... but it's been weeks now and I still haven't been able to contact any of them because I just get so anxious about it and I'm not sure how to handle the fact that I'm trans... (like, legal name wise and such.) And it's just, really frustrating me that my anxiety is getting in the way of getting help for my anxiety. :smallsigh:

I feel you. I feel you deep.

...In a non-weird way. :smalltongue:

Anxiety-wise, anyway. I'm not queer in any regard except in my crippling anxiety. I think it's a matter of indecision, too. Like I don't want to bother other people with my problems, but it's their job to deal with this stuff, so I should. At the same time, they might help, but I know how counseling works since I'm a psychology major and have a pretty deep understanding of how this stuff goes so it'll likely have less of an effect since I'll be worrying about it having less of an effect. :smallsigh:

So, uh. You're not alone, though I'm sure you've heard that before. I share feels (as in feelings) with you.

This is the first of a new thread series focusing on Autism and other forms of neurologically atypicality. The thread is to support, celebrate and discuss anything that falls outside the bounds of what is neurotypical.

Hello everyone!

As others have said, it's not totally clear to me whether this is meant to be a specifically-autism thread or a generally-nonneurotypical thread (and I'm totally fine with respecting whichever its creator intended) but if it's the latter, I'm thrilled to see it and will be hanging around.

The bit in the first post I made bold here says to me that it's anything that's considered atypical (though that differs from culture to culture :smallamused:).

*derailed train snip*

This made me laugh. Then I showed our DM and said this is what his campaign is going to end up being, minus my extradimensional pocket-traveling train, which will always be on the track. Of course. :smalltongue:

MilesTiden
2013-09-09, 06:45 PM
Hmm. Interesting thread concept, though really the title is going to be a little bit clunky no matter how it's phrased. :smalltongue:

Slightly more on topic, I was never 'technically' diagnosed with any sort of ASD. Or rather, I fit the fairly typical requirements for, ar least Aspergers, but they're either symptoms that overlap with my (diagnosed) moderate-severe ADHD, or they don't quite fit 'well' enough. I take some medication for my ADHD, which is its own can of worms, but I've noticed that, when I forget to take my medicine or we unexpectedly run out, my behavior is much more in line with that which would be expected from an individual with some sort of ASD. In addition, as I age I have been developing the more typical difficulties with speech and social interaction. However, these appear to be more a facet of my personality rather than something indicative of an atypical neurological process or developmental difficulties. I am strongly misanthropic, and tend to be off-putting socially of my own intentions. Overall... Eh? :smallsigh: To be honest, I have more important things to be dealing with right now in my life, as opposed to stressing out over the implications of me being weird as hell. It doesn't help that I strongly despise counseling on a base level, and it's usually strangely difficult to talk to me about such things. :smalltongue:

Lord Raziere
2013-09-09, 06:57 PM
asperger/light autistic here.

I am currently in a college program for my condition, but I do not regard it as bad, more like an alternate way of looking at things.

other than that, eh. I don't have any real problems with it, its more like I have problems with the world around me because I don't see things the way others do.

and thats all I can really say on the matter? aside from being concerned that it might make it harder for me to get a job or something.

Edit: though I guess I used to have more anger issues, but thats years in the past.

Tyndmyr
2013-09-09, 07:12 PM
Heya, (Diagnosed) ADHD here.

Not really a big deal these days, I've gotten to the point where I can manage it without medicine and the like, and actually find it an advantage in certain circumstances.

Don't know that this puts me *that* far outside the mainstream, but all the same, cheers to ya'll!

Kurien
2013-09-09, 09:26 PM
I was diagnosed rather late at 14 years of age

That's not late at all. I was diagnosed at 17. I remember getting diagnosed for Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Major Depression, too, although that was even earlier.

Funny how I went through all of my childhood with no one suspecting at all. That's not meant to sound bitter. But by considering Asperger, it made much light of my childhood and adolescent behaviour.

Actually, it was Castaras who may have helped me get the Aspie diagnosis. Way before I saw a psychiatrist, I first heard about Asperger syndrome from some posts Castaras made in 2007 or so, and I was able to draw many parallels between her description and myself. I think I later brought it up with the psychiatrist, but it took two more years before I got an official diagnosis.

@Castaras: I feel I've been where you're at, although my experience was more along the lines of crushing despair than the angry frustration you convey. Compared to me, you're ahead of the game. I think I'm about the same age as you, and I only just started my first year of post-secondary school last week. I spent three extra years just trying to get my high school diploma.

Asperger syndrome was once called a pervasive developmental disorder, and judging by myself, the term wasn't incorrect. For some, I feel it's safe to acknowledge that some things may take a bit longer to accomplish.

[/poor communication skills go~!]

NihhusHuotAliro
2013-09-09, 09:28 PM
I have Nonverbal Learning Disability, which nobody talks about and nobody has ever heard of.

Temotei
2013-09-09, 09:33 PM
I have Nonverbal Learning Disability, which nobody talks about and nobody has ever heard of.

I see what you did there.

It's funny and informative. :smalltongue: Welcome to the thread.

NihhusHuotAliro
2013-09-09, 09:47 PM
Thank you for your kind welcome.

(Nice username, by the way.)

Hiro Protagonest
2013-09-09, 09:50 PM
I have this thing called AD... AD... um...

(okay not really, but I know a guy who does. He forgets stuff a lot and one time he even said "your shoes are shiny" to a kid when explaining an archery shoot. :smalltongue:)

golentan
2013-09-09, 09:53 PM
I'm not sure if this is the place for it, but oh well. I'm Schizoaffective (suffer persistent delusions and depression), diagnosed end of high school. I started with the symptoms back... I don't know how long, but as long as I can remember. I'm extremely high functioning, and for years after I realized I was different from the other folks around me I covered it up, because I had seen the "crazy" people who talked to themselves on the street, and I knew there were people who couldn't function in everyday life who got locked up in asylums, and I was afraid that even if I didn't become like that (an ongoing fear in weaker moments) people would treat me that way. A valid fear, since I believe that I was wrongfully fired for my condition one time. So, I used a ton of mental energy sorting through which thoughts were and weren't symptomatic, and suppressed those that were around adults.

Finally, though, things got too tough to deal with by myself. I went to a therapist, then a psychiatrist, and I got diagnosed, and I got on meds. At first, they only caught the delusional side of things. Things improved, a bit, anyway. No medicine has ever "cured" me, but it's made it easier to deal with. When I went off my meds for a while in college, though, I tried to commit suicide. Just like in my worst fears, I found myself in an asylum. It was the worst thing that ever happened to me. When I got out, I limped on through college for a little while before dropping out. That gave me time to recover a little bit, and after a few years of minimum wage drudgery I returned to school and at least pulled an associates out of the fire. I'm still coping with my mental illness, and probably will be forever, but now I'm on track to become a veterinary technician, and things are looking up for me.

theangelJean
2013-09-10, 02:08 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm a doctor with an anxiety disorder tending towards depression, as well as some difficult obsessive and perfectionist personality traits. So of course I spent about ten minutes deciding how to compose this paragraph, as well as arguing with myself about whether I belong in this thread (my "neurology" is definitely not "typical", but I'm also aware that "neurotypical vs atypical" is a distinction mainly used by people who deal with the autism spectrum). Anyway, I'll let others decide whether this becomes a thread specifically for the autism spectrum or for other psychological conditions in general.

I have these particular labels ... and I also consider myself to be a "success story" for psychiatric treatment. That is, I still live with anxiety and obsessiveness and perfectionism, but having had two major episodes since I was 20, I can say that right now I am well. Sure, I haven't been able to work for four years now (I haven't even been able to manage volunteer work one day a week recently) but over the years I've learned to manage my mood (with lots of help from my psychiatrist), to the point that between January and July last year I was able to slowly be weaned off my medication, and I've managed to stay relatively stable without meds since then. Of course I know that relapses can happen, especially as I'm expecting my first child in a couple of months, but at least I know that it is possible to live with anxiety, and still be happy.

So, if people eventually decide whether psychological conditions other than the autism spectrum are relevant to this thread, I'm happy to be listed in the first post to be contacted by PM to answer questions about:
- anxiety and depression
- psychiatric therapy and counselling
- medications and medication weaning (it's not fun!)
- personality traits that aren't full-blown mental disorders

All in a general sense, of course, I can't and won't give actual medical advice here. But as you can probably guess, I am biased towards psychiatric treatment for some conditions, as it has definitely worked for me. Having said that, I also understand that not everything requires treatment all the time, and that it's possible to live with who you are.

Apologies for the excessively long and pedantic post :P

I know what it's like to be frustrated when anxiety gets in the way of ... well, everything. For me, just knowing it was the anxiety didn't help, in fact it made it worse because I was more aware of it ... But have hope, one day you'll be able to know it's the anxiety and get past it and go and do things anyway. It takes a while (much longer than I hoped, unfortunately). But getting help is a good first step!

Also, remember that when it comes to getting help, there is no such thing as "doing it wrong". Things will not always work out as planned, there is no perfect therapist or practice, and yes there may be times when things upset you, including name and gender issues. But getting in contact with someone is still a step forwards, and once you've done that they can probably help you to find a better person to suit your needs. I know that eventually, you can be brave enough to make sure people know what you need from them.

Mina Kobold
2013-09-13, 10:21 AM
That's not late at all. I was diagnosed at 17. I remember getting diagnosed for Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Major Depression, too, although that was even earlier.

Funny how I went through all of my childhood with no one suspecting at all. That's not meant to sound bitter. But by considering Asperger, it made much light of my childhood and adolescent behaviour.

I see, I was under the impression that it was mostly diagnosed pretty early on. It must be a conspiracy! O_O

That, I was wrong, or we're both outliers, but a conspiracy makes much more sense. :smalltongue:

That does sound like a pretty stressful situation. In my case, they apparently did notice, but didn't even know to consider Asperger's until a doctor friend asked about it. Maybe people just don't know much about it? ^_^'

[/Worse communication skills, GO!]

Lentrax
2013-09-14, 10:33 AM
Hello, folks.

I have many many problems, beginning with depression. They then run the gamut from there, branching into egomania, severe paranoia,and probably many mor that I am not aware of.

I also have a five year old son with Autism and a daughter with selective mutism.

So yeah, wide variety of issues to talk about over here.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-09-14, 04:23 PM
I have "Over-Foceusd" AD(H)D as diagnosed by the Amen Clinic in D.C. So yeah. IDK, I guess that's atypical?

The "symptoms" are as follows: Primary ADD symptoms plus cognitive inflexibility, trouble shifting attention, stuck on negative thoughts or behaviors, worrying, holding grudges, argumentative, oppositional, and a need for sameness.

So hi. May check in again.

Moriwen
2013-09-14, 08:40 PM
I also have a five year old son with Autism and a daughter with selective mutism.

Hey! :smallsmile: One of the main reasons I was interested in this thread is that my (much) younger sister has selective mutism. It's a little exciting to "meet" someone else in the same position, since it's pretty rare.

If you ever want to chat or whatever, I'm around here a lot and my PM box is always open. Hoping to see you around the thread!

Nameless Ghost
2013-09-14, 09:21 PM
When I was growing up I reasonably often went through periods of refusing to speak, though it never lasted more than a few hours. There were a few occasions of wanting to say things, but absolutely being unable to speak, that stick in my memory. When I started writing this post I didn't expect there to be any mention of mutism in it.

Looking back it kind of surprises me that nobody ever seemed to question this or any other unusual behaviours I displayed (social reclusiveness, obsessiveness, reacting logically rather than emotionally to most things, and more recently bouts of anxiety - though these are my own observations) as odd.

Even when I went through a period of severe depression at university and stopped attending my classes and pretty much locked myself in my room for several months before dropping out the most that happened was to be asked on one occasion by a member of the faculty why I wasn't going to lectures; and to just be told in response, "well you have to", with no follow-up.

Which in my mind puts me in situation of being pretty sure my neurology isn't exactly typical but not having any specific descriptor for it. I'll probably be hanging around the thread (most likely just lurking), but hey anyway.

bluewind95
2013-09-17, 07:24 PM
I was diagnosed with ADD, though I have a nagging suspicion I might fall into the autistic spectrum. But can't really say I have it if I don't have a diagnosis!

Mostly, the ADD gave me a big amount of trouble at school. I managed to teach myself ways to cope, though it was always a struggle!

GoblinArchmage
2013-09-26, 12:50 AM
I'm sorry if this counts as thread necromancy, but this caught my attention:

Hey there! Mildy autistic (maybe asperger's?) person here

Apparently my parents always knew something was odd about me, and thought that it might be autism, but nothing was ever figured out for certain. I was not told this, though, so I had to figure it out for myself. When I realized I'm trans, I started following other trans people online, and several of them are autistic as well. Because I related to them so much, I looked into it and saw how amazingly well it fit me and explained things that I had always thought were different and wrong about me.

I haven't been diagnosed yet, and I'm not sure what the benefit of it would be. I know I'm autistic, I don't need a doctor to tell me it. Does anyone know if there is a point in seeking a diagnosis, as a (barely) adult?

Actually, yes you do need a doctor to tell you. Regardless of how much research you did, you probably don't have the medical knowledge to accurately judge whether anybody, let alone yourself, has an atypical neurology. Furthermore, I don't think that self diagnosis is ever really legitimate. I'm not saying that you aren't autistic, and if you think you are then you very well may be, but you can't just claim that you are without an actual diagnosis.

Edit: I'm sorry if this came off as confrontational.

Also, if this thread is for all varieties of mental illness and not just Autism, then I guess I'll just mention that I have OCD.

Serpentine
2013-09-26, 01:17 AM
Mm, I agree. Thinking you might have a condition is a good reason to go talk to a doctor and have it confirmed, or find an alternative explanation. Deciding that you have one without having the medical expertise to know that (heck, with the expertise - doctors see other doctors, after all!) can be harmful, to yourself and to others. And if there's no point getting a diagnosis as an adult (which I'm not so sure about), surely there's equally no point claiming you have something without a diagnosis?

Starting to think I might be atypical somehow. I mean, my GP mum used to think I might be OCD or have Asberger's, and retrospectively I think Tourrette's (the milder cases, not the extreme swearing and outburst versions) could fit, but eh. With the stuff I'm thinking/worried about now, could be something, dunno what, but I'm probably just lazy and hormonal. *shrug*

Temotei
2013-10-01, 01:52 PM
Yeah, there's a bias there you just can't get past. People see characteristics of disorders and relate to them. It's natural, everyone does it. You just can't make diagnoses based only on those.

sktarq
2013-10-01, 03:43 PM
Atypical.....That about sums it up for me. Have not seen a doctor for my issues (except for the test with various psychoactive pharmaceuticals in a hospital to test which ones other members of bloodline may react atypically to-which turned out to be a considerable percentage).
After years of just being "weird" or "odd" I have had to deal with every Tom, **** (edit Richard), and Harry trying to tell me I had/have various ailments...Asperger's being by far the most common. The only one I have had was depression-badly enough that I usually describe as I would watch the ceiling fan for hours-get bored and so turn it on. But it would take returning to that point below suicidal activity (where you don't care enough to kill yourself) or a firearm to get me to see a doctor.
A but atypical....yeah I couldn't deny that with a strait face.
So Good-day-morning-afternoon-evening-nigh-whatnot everybody.

Hi everyone!...Apologies for the excessively long and pedantic post :P Thank you for this post fragment...Its structure, placement, and tone amused me greatly.

Castaras
2013-10-01, 06:46 PM
Question to those who have various anxieties - do you find that if you're under stress / getting anxiety quite a bit, you start finding other anxieties that you rarely get popping up more regularly?

Been having issues recently with my academic anxiety seeping into my social life, which is worrying.

theangelJean
2013-10-01, 09:22 PM
Mm, I agree. Thinking you might have a condition is a good reason to go talk to a doctor and have it confirmed, or find an alternative explanation. Deciding that you have one without having the medical expertise to know that (heck, with the expertise - doctors see other doctors, after all!) can be harmful, to yourself and to others. And if there's no point getting a diagnosis as an adult (which I'm not so sure about), surely there's equally no point claiming you have something without a diagnosis?

I agree that self-diagnosis isn't particularly accurate. The definition of of a 'syndrome' is that it involves a combination of multiple symptoms - and in the case of psychological disorders, these may include personality traits, some of which are shared with much of the 'typical' population. So it would be quite common to be able to identify with some of the aspects of the description of, say, Asperger syndrome, but not all.

About the usefulness of diagnosis at all: I think it depends on the situation. Certainly if you are having personality/psychological issues that are making life difficult, then being able to identify them is the first step to managing them, although it can be the first step on a long journey. There's also an argument to be made that recognising personal issues can help with self-improvement or self-acceptance, even if they're not interfering with everyday life. (This is the main reason I continue to see my psychiatrist regularly, although my high risk for a relapse in the near future is also a factor.) On the other end of the scale, the reason Asperger syndrome is often categorised as "high-functioning" is that people may have it while never having any problem managing their lives, and in that case just having a label may not be of any practical use. There's an argument often made, in medicine, that if a diagnosis is not going to actually change anything you do, then it's often not worth going to any particular lengths to establish the exact diagnosis in the first place.

Thank you for this post fragment...Its structure, placement, and tone amused me greatly.

Glad to be of some entertainment value :) Of course I should probably add that particular disclaimer to just about everything I write...

Question to those who have various anxieties - do you find that if you're under stress / getting anxiety quite a bit, you start finding other anxieties that you rarely get popping up more regularly?

Been having issues recently with my academic anxiety seeping into my social life, which is worrying.

I definitely find that anxiety about one issue will heighten my other anxieties even if they are unrelated. I think it's at least partly a physiological response thing - the adrenaline system in action. Conversely, if I'm in a relatively stable period, like now, then it's much easier to shrug off the same issues and get past them.

I realise that the mere knowledge that "When you're well, this won't actually bother you so much any more" may not be so helpful to you right now - if you're finding things stressful, then you're going to react to that stress until you learn to respond differently. But for me, I'm hoping that holding on to that idea - knowing that despite having an anxiety disorder, I am capable of brushing off minor stresses - will help to carry me through the next stressful period.

Temotei
2013-10-02, 11:05 AM

I have so many anxieties right now that they're piling onto each other like leaves in autumn. And yes, the biggest ones push others into the forefront.

On a brighter note, I went to an appointment with student counseling today. First time in counseling in almost...ten years? I think. I didn't want to go then, but this time I do. Maybe talking about it in person with someone trained to deal with it and who I can talk to about anything (as opposed to Mum) will help me sleep and stop obsessing and being sad and everything else. I hope.

Being a psych student is really an odd experience when you know what's up but your mind/body can't handle it. Cognitive-emotional disconnect here.

Astrella
2013-10-02, 11:34 AM
Yeah, I'm back at dorms now and still not having heard whether I get to re-enroll again is just making all the other stuff I'm anxious about worse and is making me anxious about things that don't usually bother me that much. Bleh.

Temotei
2013-10-02, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I'm back at dorms now and still not having heard whether I get to re-enroll again is just making all the other stuff I'm anxious about worse and is making me anxious about things that don't usually bother me that much. Bleh.

*pat*

To everyone else: *pat*

Take my hugs if you would prefer them, though. *hugs*

Lord Raziere
2013-10-02, 07:40 PM
I think I am starting to recognize my own online communication problem.

basically, there are various stages or steps or whatever to communication, various things information needs to go through until it reaches the other person and understood.

things like noise, gatekeepers and so on.

but I'm going to focus on two: encoding and decoding.

basically? I seem to somehow be encoding my words differently then how people are decoding them. this is not in itself surprising, because people probably do this all the time, and my encoding is probably just does things differently a little more extremely to cause so many misunderstandings.

thing is, I might be decoding other peoples words differently than they are encoding them sometimes. basically, coding problems. what I think is acceptable doesn't seem to match what other people think is acceptable.

thing is its hard to know when I'm saying something inappropriate because its invisible to me. I'm right in the middle of it. so yeah. encoding/decoding.

this is important to autism, because autistics, which I am a light case of, code things differently from others. and if I am a light case, imagine what its like for someone thats farther on the spectrum to decode/encode all this. its like there is not one language at work, but three. the internal language of myself, the external language "English" and the internal language of the person listening to me. technically they might all be "English" but I bet the meanings is different when communicating internally.

sktarq
2013-10-04, 04:00 PM
On Oct 2nd Jon Stewart interviewed a gentleman about a book that had been written by a 13 year old Japanese boy about living with autism (who it was implied was largely non verbal but could use a typewriter to communicate) call "Why I Jump". I was just wondering if anyone here had read this book or know someone that has and what the readers' judgments were.

As for the above coding issue. I understand what you mean. I use a translation metaphor myself. That language is a set of symbols that should hopefully allow another person to recreate a thought process in their head that you had in yours. The assumption present in this process of how ideas described may fit together for example are, I believe, one of the key markers of "Atypical" thinking. Hence the often highly precise manner of speech-for example, the desire to be perfectly clear about the name and scope of this thread led to far more than discussion of the topic than found in a median exemplar on this site.

Salbazier
2013-10-06, 12:24 AM
Just a bit of rant, here in my country it seems t be common to use 'Autis' as a word to disparage (did I use that word correctly) others, epecially in regard to a eccentric/annoying/funny behavior. Obviously this is annoying, especially since I have a cousin with Autism.

I myself, are not diagnosed with any atypical neurology, because I've never checked :smalltongue:.

Sooooo, a question, what's actually valid as disorder or atypical neurology? Like, does a child throwing tantrums easily and slow maturity possibly count or it likely just, err, personality issues or whatever? I'm better nowadays, but looking back, I think that the young me perhaps could benefit from psychiatric aid.

Lord Raziere
2013-10-06, 12:45 AM
Hm.

well thing is, I think Atypical Neurologies are kind of things with specific conditions and traits? while even "Atypical" people are full of variance and differences, its assumed that they mostly fall into what they have been diagnosed with, otherwise the diagnosis wouldn't be useful. y'know?

but then there is the fact that some scientists or whatever don't even want to consider these atypical traits as their own condition, and more like traits everyone has but in different amounts than what people "usually" have?

a child like that? umm, hm, it kind of depends, if thats all they have, thats probably an immaturity problem, if they have other behaviors that add up to something that is a reasonably accurate picture of something atypical? maybe.
the only way to be sure is to get a real diagnosis by a real doctor/psychologist.

the whole psychological diagnosis thing is pretty murky, at least to me, thats why you get so many people self-diagnosing and weird myths about various conditions popping up because this sort of thing is intimately tied to human nature and how people think about think about themselves. sorry, but its not something I can say for sure.

Salbazier
2013-10-06, 09:43 AM
Ah, Okay. It just a thought that suddenly occurred to me, when I typed that 'never diagnosed' sentence.

sktarq
2013-10-06, 10:34 AM
There are a mass of issues that surround your question.
Firstly the various conditions for giving a diagnosis throughout the autism spectrum (and bipolar, and "confrontational disorders", and the ADD family) are opinion based. Very subjective judgments based on the doctors view, often through the lens of teachers or parents. This has led to massive regional and social differences in what gets someone a diagnosis. Give two doctors the same patient on two different days and come up wit three opinions. Changes in attitude over time have led to major expansions of what were rare conditions. The condition didn't change and there is little evidence that population from which the diagnoses changed, but the number of diagnoses has exploded. Some, including me, would point to various group who profit from a larger customer base (big pharma and the diagnosing doctors themselves) or who are able to dismiss issues or work if a diagnosis is present (teachers or parents who have something to point to) as pressures that have changed how people interpret actions relative to the diagnostic criteria.
Secondly local "civilian" populations have, at least in the US, become highly familiar with terms used in this branch of treatment. This has led people with little or no training to describe behaviors, mostly ones they dislike, in diagnosis terms used in the DSM. This includes (actually is especially true) how teachers, parents, co-workers, and others will describe actions to a doctor looking into a person for possible diagnosis. However Joe Blog's idea of what constitutes "obsessive behavior patterns" for example is rather different than used for actual treating the issues in the DSM.
Thirdly the criteria are vague and often silly. The former allows for the above two issues to exist and grow. The latter is just annoying. For example many of the conditions say that unless the symptoms are causing disruptions to someones life they are not bad enough to count in a diagnosis. They also say that once diagnoses a person can never be "cured" only managed. Lets run a thought experiment. Two people, lets say boys for pronoun issues, with identical issues-lets say 10 year-olds. One "A" struggles and learns various coping mechanisms through trial and error and social support. The other "B" is taken by his parents to a doctor who makes a diagnosis. years of drugs and therapy (if he is lucky) later he too learns various coping mechanisms, comes off his meds. Both go with their lives basically asymptotically. However if any issues come up later in life there are large differences in how they will be treated. Trying to get a government job 15 years later A will have an advantage. If they are analyzed for say a top secret clearance or a scientific study A will not only come up as not being "mentally ill" as his issues do not cause life disruption but B will still be considered "mentally ill" even though there is no difference in their lives at this time other than a note in a medical file. So the diagnostic criteria comes to logically include access to a doctor, without exposure to one at the proper stage there is no mental illness 15 years later. I find this externality to throw question onto much of the field's day to day results. I got very uncomfortable looks from the professors of psychology I ran this thought experiment by in Uni but they agreed that the scenario was valid (as in could and even does happen). While some doctors and therapists will note and even use such old information in ways that get around the above kind of scenario they are actually bending or breaking the diagnostic rules-and while the DSM V (the most recent update) may allow for the above to be dealt with more logically at times (with a few syndromes) it doesn't with others.

Reality Glitch
2013-10-07, 10:51 AM
*snip*Towards the end I started thinking, "Yes, they can't be cured, but they can go away or be rendered inert." Coping mechanisms fit under the latter, they're mentally ill by name alone.

Reality Glitch
2013-10-08, 07:47 PM
Bumping since this was going so well, I would like this to keep going.

Astrella
2013-10-11, 08:07 AM
*sigh*

Fifth anxiety therapist in a row that's not taking new clients, I'm starting to get a bit desperate about finding one. And the new term is starting and just leaving my room to go to the kitchen is hard, let alone doing groceries or going to class and I'm just really worked up all the time and it's really tiring and draining and I can't turn my head off even though I'd really like to. :/

Iruka
2013-10-11, 09:22 AM
Those with Asperger syndrome often also have strange manners of speaking, such as the technically correct and yet strange way in which I am currently writing.

Huh? Your writing doesn't seem that strange to me.

My best friend is convinced I have Asperger's, but in my opinion, I'm mostly just lazy.

Eldan
2013-10-11, 09:41 AM
I've been diagnosed with a lot of things by different doctors, but nothing ever properly, since I never stayed with any one doctor for more than a handful of sessions. Non-hyperactive ADD, gifted, major depression, (social) anxiety, Aspergers and a few others. Except for a case of Dyspraxia, which I mostly grew out of by now.

Miriel
2013-10-12, 11:26 AM
*sigh*

Fifth anxiety therapist in a row that's not taking new clients, I'm starting to get a bit desperate about finding one. And the new term is starting and just leaving my room to go to the kitchen is hard, let alone doing groceries or going to class and I'm just really worked up all the time and it's really tiring and draining and I can't turn my head off even though I'd really like to. :/
*hug*?

Good luck the therapists.

Temotei
2013-10-13, 03:00 AM
I can't turn my head off even though I'd really like to. :/

This is my life. It's why I stay up until I'm completely exhausted and then get into bed and want to talk to somebody because I'm miserably tired but still active mentally in a bad way. My worst anxieties come out at night because I'm alone and there's nobody to talk to.

Anyway, I know that feel. Mum is getting into all of these essential oils lately and she's given a bunch to me. I'm not sure if they're helping, but I guess a lot of people report them helping, so maybe you could try them out in the meantime.

Mina Kobold
2013-10-13, 06:03 AM
*sigh*

*Hugs*

I really wish I could help, but all I can say is to take things one at a time. If you can't go to class or buy groceries one day, then you can't, but maybe you can some of the time or even most. Though I really hope you can find a therapist who has time and will help and encourage you, you should not have to listen to your fears non-stop when you want to turn it off. ;_;

Reality Glitch
2013-10-14, 06:12 AM
I kind of understand the whole anxiety thing, though now that I think about it, phobia-induced-panic-attacks probably are something else.

Juggling Goth
2013-10-14, 06:26 AM
Hello all,

I'm a crazy lady, but that's been going on for a while and isn't particularly bothering me at the moment. What is bothering me is my sensory processing. I have a terrible time distinguishing signal from noise, can only really tolerate public transport with earplugs in, and have entire buildings that I can't go into without having a panic attack/meltdown because of their open-plan glass-walls shiny-surfaces-bouncing-noise-and-light-around BS. (Seriously, architects: walls are classic for a reason.) Put me in a building with shiny surfaces, mezzanine floors, no internal walls and halogen/fluorescent lights and watch my head explode.

Gotta go see occupational health about that, since my work team has relocated to one such building. I'd rather pull out my own fingernails, but there you go.

Temotei
2013-10-15, 04:07 PM
I kind of understand the whole anxiety thing, though now that I think about it, phobia-induced-panic-attacks probably are something else.

They are, though they share some characteristics. General anxiety is probably closer to the phobia itself rather than the attacks, but I have anxiety attacks, for example, that are kiiiiiiind of similar. Sort of.

Reality Glitch
2013-10-15, 09:58 PM
Could you explain how?

Temotei
2013-10-16, 05:56 PM
Could you explain how?

Anxiety attacks are shorter-lived and tend to come in response to some sort of stimulus. Panic attacks can be in response to a stimulus, but often occur without any sort of stressor.

My anxiety attacks make me unable to breathe properly and tighten my stomach. I already have allergies so I can't breathe through my nose, but I have social anxiety about opening my mouth around other people (no real reason, I just do), so when I have to open my mouth to breathe, I have trouble because my anxiety is right there, becoming tangible. It sucks, it sometimes hurts a little, and I often feel terrible for a while after physically and emotionally, but it goes away and I know it will (not that that helps all the time, but...maybe some day).

Panic attacks are generally more severe and the first one often seems like a heart attack to the person experiencing it.

Anyway, if you want to get into the details, I'd recommend talking to a trained professional or looking at the DSM (the fifth version is the newest one--I believe that's in its revision stages still, though, so maybe the fourth one is a safer bet). Otherwise, online sources sometimes have fairly accurate information, though they tend to generalize. Just remember that everyone experiences these things differently.

Reality Glitch
2013-10-18, 03:51 PM
Technically, mine are always caused by stimuli, but it's not always external stimuli. But the word "spiders" would be an appropriate trigger.

Astrella
2013-10-21, 11:19 AM
Still no success with therapists... and I just feel crappier and crappier, head aches, cold sweats at night, and just feeling so tired and awful all the time.

Mina Kobold
2013-10-21, 01:00 PM
Still no success with therapists... and I just feel crappier and crappier, head aches, cold sweats at night, and just feeling so tired and awful all the time.

I really wish I could do more than to encourage you to keep on until things get brighter, but I neither have found a therapist myself nor have any idea what to do to help. If you feel tired and awful, the only thing I can think of would be relaxing and meditating or doing something that makes you happy. Does that help? I'm really bad at helping. >_<

*hugs*

Astrella
2013-10-22, 12:44 PM
I really wish I could do more than to encourage you to keep on until things get brighter, but I neither have found a therapist myself nor have any idea what to do to help. If you feel tired and awful, the only thing I can think of would be relaxing and meditating or doing something that makes you happy. Does that help? I'm really bad at helping. >_<

*hugs*

I can't really figure out what to do to feel better. And every day just feels worse and going outside gets harder and I feel worse and more dysphoric going outside.

noparlpf
2013-10-22, 01:00 PM
I can't really figure out what to do to feel better. And every day just feels worse and going outside gets harder and I feel worse and more dysphoric going outside.

I've been wondering how well marijuana might work as a treatment for anxiety but my shrink says that's still illegal in my state.
(Edit: Of course it can induce anxiety in some people too so it's not likely to ever become a common treatment.)
(Edit2: Actually I just looked it up and it seems like two cannabinoids in marijuana have opposite effects there. So the second might be useful.
Anyway I had brought it up as a half-joke, but with how unhelpful most conventional psychiatric drugs are for me, it's tempting to try other things.)

Mina Kobold
2013-10-22, 01:25 PM

I don't know what to do either, and I'm not exactly good at not feeling worse and worse myself, but I wish I did know. You are an awesome and wonderful woman who deserve to be happy. But sometimes it takes a lot of time to find a solution if there even is an obvious one, though I hope it gets better soon and that therapists begin being useful. :smallsmile:

Nope kind of got me thinking; could psychiatry be a help? Certainly been thinking it might be a help to me in some cases, though I also know a lot of people think it's a bad idea. >_<

Astrella
2013-10-22, 01:27 PM
I don't know what to do either, and I'm not exactly good at not feeling worse and worse myself, but I wish I did know. You are an awesome and wonderful woman who deserve to be happy. But sometimes it takes a lot of time to find a solution if there even is an obvious one, though I hope it gets better soon and that therapists begin being useful. :smallsmile:

Nope kind of got me thinking; could psychiatry be a help? Certainly been thinking it might be a help to me in some cases, though I also know a lot of people think it's a bad idea. >_<

Well, that's the thing, I've been trying to find someone to help me with it; but they're all not taking new clients and it takes a lot of working up courage to contact people.

Temotei
2013-10-22, 02:49 PM

Have you tried yoga, stretches, or working out in other ways? Exercise can really help.

Aside from that, what's your diet? A healthy diet matters, too, and is easily changeable. Organic food, 100% juice, no soda...It hurts to say "soda," since I've always said "pop," but I'm aware that this is basically a Minnesotan thing.

And hobbies? If you're sitting around a lot, things will get worse. If you have some gamer friends, ask them if you can join them on League of Legends (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/) (mute everyone who's not a friend) or D&D or somesuch. Read a webcomic. I like Unsounded (http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch01/ch01_01.html), Manly Guys Doing Manly Things (http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/02222010), Cyanide and Happiness (http://www.explosm.net/comics/15/) (avoid the Depressing Comic Weeks unless you think those things are genuinely funny...and if it bores you, go to the more recent ones), and The Adventures of Dr. McNinja (http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/0p1/). The Order of the Stick is great, too, and it's right here. Anything to do when you have nothing to do is good.

Mina Kobold
2013-10-22, 02:50 PM
Well, that's the thing, I've been trying to find someone to help me with it; but they're all not taking new clients and it takes a lot of working up courage to contact people.

Mrr, that is a serious issue. I don't think it would work to contact them for you, being in another country and all, but I hope you'll soon find someone who does take new clients soon. Can't all be busy, hopefully. :smallsmile:

Lord Raziere
2013-10-24, 02:14 AM
Ok.

A lot of people, have been commenting about my tone of my posts.

or my attitude or whatever my problem IS with communicating with people online.

and they have been bringing it up. repeatedly. completely irrelevant to the point I am trying to make, making threads going off topic and frustrating me by focusing on something that is not the point of my posts, which is irritating to me.

you want to talk about my communication problems with you? fine! do it here, or do it in PM. but don't derail the thread, don't act as if the point about me is more important than the point I am trying to make in the thread, and don't go chastising me about end on end, when I just want to make a point and be done with it.

I am someone who abides by the virtue of honesty, and yes that might lead to confrontation or whatever, and yes I already know that politeness =/= dishonesty, and that I can be honest without being a jerk, or having a better tone or whatever other problem you have with me. that does not mean I'm yet competent at such communication, at least online.

I ask, at least, that you focus your problems with me here. where its meant to be talked about. I can't guarantee a light and positive conversation you are familiar with. I say what I believe is the truth. positive, negative, don't care. But here at least, I know its something that its meant to be talked about, where I don't have to fight against people ignoring my point. I hope some progress can be reached in some way, without me having to take a detour in some thread not meant for it.

I hope this is clear for everyone. Please let me know if you have any problems.

SiuiS
2013-10-24, 03:04 AM
I can respect that.

Perhaps link this post or just some key phrases in your signature?

I also suggest considering this from the other point of view; that even though someone will argue and fight with you tooth and nail does not mean that afterward, or in between arguments, they dislike you or don't respect you. I for one highly regard people who put the truth above petty niceties, but if I think you're wrong I'll still fight for changing your view.

Malixe
2013-10-25, 08:35 PM
Hello~! I come here having been diagnosed (Perhaps a little vaguely) with aspergers syndrome! That is not of grave importance though, since I can't say that having Aspergers has severely impacted my life in a negative way... That I am aware of. So, mostly I'm just here for the giving of support :3. Continue to do your best >w<.

Lord Raziere
2013-10-27, 04:10 PM
well unfortunately….aspergers has impacted my life in some negative way online. read more in the rant.

I'm sorry.

can I vent?

It just seems to me, that, no matter what I say online, I'm the loser. if I try to be polite and tell people I'm offended they say to grow thicker skin and they won't their actions or apologize for it, I try the same justification with someone else and they say to be polite and mature! when I was being with someone else! Nothing feels consistent in this communication! Its as if I'm in some social minefield and I don't know what will set off the next "I'm offended by what you say!" or "your attitude needs to be changed" or "change your tone!" and it just becomes GRATING after a while.

its always, apparently my fault. and apparently there is no excuse for ignorance for my crimes against good social communication. and I find myself putting more and more people on ignore, just to keep myself SANE so that I don't have to read every stupid opinion that annoys me and potentially make me post something that I will regret because of it, because I can never EVER be sure if what I post will be taken well or not.

and even when I say "no offense" people STILL TAKE OFFENSE. They interpret it as me being some arrogant jerk…..that has…..no….time….for…..social…..niceties…..aarrrrgg hhh….I am one am I? :smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::s mallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::sma llfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::small frown::smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfr own::smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrow n::smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown: :smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::s mallfrown::smallfrown:

darn it! qougehfjUI3JLEIJDLSDJDSKFDJLSHCic hwfichqoivgcu

and this! I hate it when this happens! I HATE IT WHEN THESE PEOPLE ARE RIGHT AND I HAVE TO FACE TRUTHS LIKE THIS! DAAAARRN IT!

I never intended to become such a stupid person! AAAAAARRGH! I SHOULD BE BETTER THAN THIS DARN IT!

and what I really hate is that while its hard for others to interpret what I say, they forget that its hard to interpret what THEY say in return! I almost never try to actually give offense, people create it! and yet….I'm at fault to. because apparently the internet makes me go back to being that STUPID raging idiot I was when I was thirteen who would become angry at every LITTLE THING because he would become irrationally stressed out at everything! ARGH!

and I don't care if this happens to everyone! I don't want to be some arrogant jerk because of some freaking piece of technology! I am the master of myself not some stupid DEVICE!! I don't want these communication problems. I want them gone. I just wish there was a better way of communicating without being dishonest or seeming fake or phony. then I wouldn't be this crude stubborn arguer who tries to use the conversational equivalent of an war-axe to get everything done!! apparently trying to communicate as directly as possible doesn't work at all.

and last of all, I hate that there seems to be very little sympathy for anyone online, it just looks people tearing down other people endlessly in arguments. I just have trouble telling if people actually respect me or not. I wish there was a clearer way to tell darn it, so that I don't feel attacked, even though I know that I am not. Its all just all seems freaking stupid to me sometimes.

thats all I guess. I just hope I can find a way to improve.

Malixe
2013-10-27, 06:07 PM
A response~! Does it also need to be in a spoiler? I don't know ;w;.

Foreword: I am not authorized to offer psychological help of any kind, nor am I really qualified to give advice, I think! But I encourage the healing power of communication, personal musing, and sympathy~!
Yes, the internet is a weird place for communication! I know that I do much better online, because in real life I get choked up and don't talk and have tons of awkward silences!

I actually have a friend who suffers similarly. People she likes will take offense at things she merely wanted to express without strife, and then she takes offense at their offense, and it has ended with several ex-friends :c. But I think, in speaking with both sides, I've come to the conclusion that some things will simply be like that! Because both sides are sensitive in their own ways, but there really isn't a way to be 'wrong'. A different method of writing can help I suppose! But sometimes it's really just what's trying to be said that is the cause of distress~ ;w;.

Regardless of all that! I'm not sure I agree with the idea of you being a big jerk or stupid or that stuff~. But I do offer you pats of well-being, and hope you will come back to us with many less small frowns :3.
Babbling complete!

Lord Raziere
2013-10-27, 08:57 PM
okay, thanks Malixe. it was just a lot of anger and frustration and rage accumulated over time being burned off. I think I'll at least do things calmer now.

zlefin
2013-10-27, 09:11 PM
Saw this thread, and figure I may as well stop in;
doing fine enough under Paxil personally.
Have social anxiety disorder (or whatever they renamed it)
with hints of other anxieties at times; and a bit of OCD.

But I've managed pretty well improving over time; staying on the med, and developing techniques of my own.

So here if anyone needs to talk.

Lorsa
2013-10-28, 04:23 AM
well unfortunately….aspergers has impacted my life in some negative way online. read more in the rant.

I'm sorry.

can I vent?

It just seems to me, that, no matter what I say online, I'm the loser. if I try to be polite and tell people I'm offended they say to grow thicker skin and they won't their actions or apologize for it, I try the same justification with someone else and they say to be polite and mature! when I was being with someone else! Nothing feels consistent in this communication! Its as if I'm in some social minefield and I don't know what will set off the next "I'm offended by what you say!" or "your attitude needs to be changed" or "change your tone!" and it just becomes GRATING after a while.

its always, apparently my fault. and apparently there is no excuse for ignorance for my crimes against good social communication. and I find myself putting more and more people on ignore, just to keep myself SANE so that I don't have to read every stupid opinion that annoys me and potentially make me post something that I will regret because of it, because I can never EVER be sure if what I post will be taken well or not.

and even when I say "no offense" people STILL TAKE OFFENSE. They interpret it as me being some arrogant jerk…..that has…..no….time….for…..social…..niceties…..aarrrrgg hhh….I am one am I? :smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::s mallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::sma llfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::small frown::smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfr own::smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrow n::smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown: :smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown::s mallfrown::smallfrown:

darn it! qougehfjUI3JLEIJDLSDJDSKFDJLSHCic hwfichqoivgcu

and this! I hate it when this happens! I HATE IT WHEN THESE PEOPLE ARE RIGHT AND I HAVE TO FACE TRUTHS LIKE THIS! DAAAARRN IT!

I never intended to become such a stupid person! AAAAAARRGH! I SHOULD BE BETTER THAN THIS DARN IT!

and what I really hate is that while its hard for others to interpret what I say, they forget that its hard to interpret what THEY say in return! I almost never try to actually give offense, people create it! and yet….I'm at fault to. because apparently the internet makes me go back to being that STUPID raging idiot I was when I was thirteen who would become angry at every LITTLE THING because he would become irrationally stressed out at everything! ARGH!

and I don't care if this happens to everyone! I don't want to be some arrogant jerk because of some freaking piece of technology! I am the master of myself not some stupid DEVICE!! I don't want these communication problems. I want them gone. I just wish there was a better way of communicating without being dishonest or seeming fake or phony. then I wouldn't be this crude stubborn arguer who tries to use the conversational equivalent of an war-axe to get everything done!! apparently trying to communicate as directly as possible doesn't work at all.

and last of all, I hate that there seems to be very little sympathy for anyone online, it just looks people tearing down other people endlessly in arguments. I just have trouble telling if people actually respect me or not. I wish there was a clearer way to tell darn it, so that I don't feel attacked, even though I know that I am not. Its all just all seems freaking stupid to me sometimes.

thats all I guess. I just hope I can find a way to improve.

While I am not an expert on communication, I do consider myself fairly good so if you believe it is possible for you to change your... encoding? and would like to try I can try to give you some advice.

However, that is only if you want. Personally I have read some of your posts without taking any offense and whatnot, I have certainly seen others that are much worse.

Oh and lastly, anyone who tells you to grow a thicker skin; don't listen to them. If people don't acknolwedge your feelings they're not worth your time.

Serpentine
2013-10-28, 08:42 AM
Razier, one little point: if you're saying something that for some reason you think could use a "no offense" disclaimer, "no offense" is almost literally the worst thing you could possibly add on. It's kind of like being surprised when people think you're racist if you preface a sentence with "I'm not racist, but..."
If your sentence starts with "I'm not racist, but..." you're probably being racist. If your statement starts or ends with "No offense", you're probably being offensive. What's more, considering the way a lot of people use it, it's likely to be assumed that you're being deliberately offensive and/or seeking plausible deniability - kind of like following an insult with "lok jk :P"

Mina Kobold
2013-10-28, 09:20 AM
Raziere, while I have not read all the times that someone has accused you of being at fault for offending or being too sensitive, that situation sounds a lot like they are trying to rationalise away being wrong. Psychologically, it is very easy to assume a person is at fault when something goes wrong, but very difficult to have that person be yourself. Thus, people can hypocritically rationalise away something being the fault of another (usually the person who disagrees with them) no matter how contradictory their reasons are, because it is easier to hurt you than to admit error. In other words, people find it easier to give you that feeling you hate than to feel bad in any way themselves.

Not everybody is like that, though. The internet has also lead to a lot of communities of people who could never discuss their interests or shared experiences without it. People have started petitions to help others with illness, social injustices or just to provide support. The LGBTAitp thread here even sent a get-well card to one of us a while ago. So sympathy does exist, even if a lot of people try to drown it out. :smallsmile:

As to improving; not entirely sure how to do that. Kind of have the same issue that people think I should not be bothered by what offends me (within the last month, a person in blackface was among the tamest things)* and yet still think I should not disagree. I think really the only option is to stick to people who are not like that and hope the bad ones can eventually at least agree to think about differing views. '>_>

*Speaking about offlines stuff here, by the bee. Online I tend to stick to places and people who are accepting and nice, but that is difficult offline. >_<

Lord Raziere
2013-11-02, 04:14 AM
sorry I haven't been responding. ahem.

@ Serpentine: kay. Short Outright Denial = Bad. because it sounds too insincere. got it.

@Keveak: ah, that....can be an explanation for at least some of them. I doubt its that general though.

@Lorsa: well encoding/decoding is kind of term I use cause that is sort what I am taught in communication class. when you communicate, your encoding your message into words- the original thing, meaning and intent is wordless, but you put it into a word format. those words are then transmitted to another, and assuming no interference they hear the words- but without the meaning or intent behind them. so they have to decode the words into meaning using their own thoughts. you can see how this is problematic.

and that is sort of the problem. I can get that being a problem with "ordinary" people (quotes for sarcasm) with subjective thought and the internet screwing things up and all, but with people with autism, it can be worse. mostly because its very possible I'm encoding things different enough from how your decoding them. this of course leads to semantics. and I dislike arguing semantics. sometimes I wish words just universally meant certain things without any confusion or alternate meanings.

and kay, ignore "thicker skin" stuff because that is being a jerk. got it.

No brains
2013-11-02, 01:31 PM
I'm joining in as another person with atypical neurology. I have some incredible social anxiety. People usually don't see my anxiety because I can speak pretty well. When a conversation goes on for anything longer than buying something or asking for directions, that's when my 'normal' facade starts to crumble. That's when I begin thinking that the person is getting annoyed or angry with me and I just excuse myself. It's entirely possible that everyone doesn't hate me, but a few people I've gotten to know well, including some family members relentlessly mock my unique ways of thinking. Then it gets hard balancing what people think of me with what they show and then I run to the internet for help.

I have a little suggestion for Raziere- if you mean to criticize someone but really don't want to offend or hurt them, be certain to underscore your respect for them. For example: if you want to say, "No brains, that's an awful idea," be sure to add "but I appreciate your help and can see how that might work, just not in this case. Thank you." It's worked for me a few times and it can help to extinguish tread-derailing flames.

Lycunadari
2013-11-03, 04:21 AM
I have a question, especially for those who were diagnosed with Asperger's later in life. As far as I understand things like mimic are difficult to read for Aspies and that's an important part of the diagnosis (I've seen online tests where one is shown only the eyes and brows of a person and then should pick what emotion they convey). Is this something one can (consciously or unconsciously) learn (like, brows are pulled together = anger) or does it have to be inherent? If one can learn (most of) it, how does/can that affect a diagnosis?

Castaras
2013-11-03, 07:14 AM
I was diagnosed very young, and either very slowly picked up or was taught various emotions. I probably still would fail quite a few "eyes + eyebrows" tests, however. I've learnt how to deal with faces, not just the eyes.

Probably won't affect diagnosis that much. There's quite a few other characteristics that autism has - primary one that I've been told is the tipping point between needing support and not needing support is self awareness and being able to analyse yourself and decide things before having to do a thing, rather than only being able to analyse yourself after you've done the thing. (if that makes sense. probably doesn't, not that coherent this morning/afternoon)

Temotei
2013-11-07, 03:26 AM
My counselor has mentioned medication twice now for depression. I don't want medication and she's not pushing me, it's just that she thinks it might give the little boost I need to get better, I guess.

I'm afraid, guys. I'm really afraid. I'm afraid of getting worse without medication. I'm afraid of side effects of medication. I'm afraid that I'll do something wrong and hurt someone. The only thing keeping me going emotionally right now is the counseling and one friend. And he's always busy.

I'm really sad. I don't enjoy much of anything anymore. I hate this and I know exactly what this is, which may be good or bad... I'm tired of dwelling.

Sorry. Rough days lately.

Castaras
2013-11-07, 05:49 AM
Medication is good as a temporary stop-gap. It gives a boost that is useful for pushing yourself to do other methods to help contain depression. There are side effects. If your counsellor thinks honestly that you could use some to help; rather than wanting you to take some for other motivations, it may well be an idea, so you can get a boost to go and start doing exercise - which gives you similar boosts to medication.

The Succubus
2013-11-07, 06:18 AM
My counselor has mentioned medication twice now for depression. I don't want medication and she's not pushing me, it's just that she thinks it might give the little boost I need to get better, I guess.

I'm afraid, guys. I'm really afraid. I'm afraid of getting worse without medication. I'm afraid of side effects of medication. I'm afraid that I'll do something wrong and hurt someone. The only thing keeping me going emotionally right now is the counseling and one friend. And he's always busy.

I'm really sad. I don't enjoy much of anything anymore. I hate this and I know exactly what this is, which may be good or bad... I'm tired of dwelling.

People have some bad misconceptions about medication for psychological problems. They worry that it will completely change who they are, that they will become dependant on them, etc.

Most medication only tends to be effective when used in conjunction with psychotherapy. What the medication does is help to calm you a little so that the advice and exercises a therapist does with you have a chance of settling in and improving your thought patterns. That's why as therapy progresses, they try to lower the dose, so that you become stronger from the psychological progress you've made, rather than medical dependency.

Serpentine
2013-11-07, 09:54 AM
sorry I haven't been responding. ahem.

@ Serpentine: kay. Short Outright Denial = Bad. because it sounds too insincere. got it. i mentioned this to a girl I know, and she knew exactly what I meant and gave this example: if a friend of hers said one day "your hair's kind of frizzy today", she would respond to it as... advisory, sort of thing, or just conversation. But if someone said "no offense, but your hair is kind of frizzy today", her response would be more (her words, as I recall them) "bitch what you say?! Hell no!" It might be counterintuitive, but it immediately turns it into an insult.
That is specifically "no offense", though. You might be able to get what you mean across a different way.
(Potentially related: "I'm sorry, but..." is not an apology. Not directed at you specifically, just generally good advice)

So no fewer than 4 people have said they reckon I'm non-neurotypical, including a doctor, my sister and a guy with Asperger's and possibly some other things. Maybe I should get myself checked out... Won't make much difference to me either way, but I do like me some labels. And you never know, maybe it's help me manage some issues I've been having...

Temotei
2013-11-07, 11:34 AM
People have some bad misconceptions about medication for psychological problems. They worry that it will completely change who they are, that they will become dependant on them, etc.

Most medication only tends to be effective when used in conjunction with psychotherapy. What the medication does is help to calm you a little so that the advice and exercises a therapist does with you have a chance of settling in and improving your thought patterns. That's why as therapy progresses, they try to lower the dose, so that you become stronger from the psychological progress you've made, rather than medical dependency.

I'm aware of that; I just don't like medication. Like, any medication. I don't take medicine unless it's a migraine, essentially.

Like I said, though, it's side effects I'm worried about and also just taking it. I have a tendency to forget medication. Even if I'm only an hour late, I feel bad about not taking it, which is another anxiety.

I guess I was unclear. I'm afraid of messing up and hurting someone as completely separate from the fear of taking medication. I have violent nightmares both in daydreams and at night. I wake up from them frequently and often can't sleep, period. I'm afraid of acting on them if I get the opportunity.

Castaras: The counselor won't push something I don't want on me, but she has said that she thinks, based on what I've said and written, that it would be a help.

Also, in reply to your post above mine (and also Serpentine's, I guess, though I hadn't read it before posting, I'll admit): diagnosis isn't the important part, really. Diagnoses are just categories of symptoms, essentially. If you have a deficiency in understanding eye/brow expression as compared to an average person, that's just it. I mean, a label can help, but it can hurt, too--create stigma, etc. In my in-no-way expert opinion, taking what you've got for what it is is exactly what you should do--no more, no less.

SiuiS
2013-11-07, 01:57 PM

I would say, give it a try. Medication isn't a permanent choice; if you don't like the effects, you can stop. But you might like the effects, and you'll never know without trying. The only losing move is not to try.

I personally hate taking medication. I've had maybe twelve doses of aspirin this year and I feel like a druggie. But, I do take coffee, and I so take it for the effects sometimes. There's a mental tipping point between 'on drugs' and 'eating well' as it were. Try to experiment with that.

And if it's a problem? You can tell your therapist and stop. :smile:

Temotei
2013-11-07, 02:00 PM
And if it's a problem? You can tell your therapist and stop. :smile:

My friend said close to the same thing today. Next session is next Thursday, so I have time to think about it until then.

Thanks.

shadow_archmagi
2013-11-07, 02:17 PM
when I was being with someone else! Nothing feels consistent in this communication!

Seeing aside the possibility that the people you talk to are just being unpleasant for their own reasons, it's also worth noting that there isn't a single gold standard for protocol. Everyone has their own preferences, and these also vary wildly based on situation.

Lorsa
2013-11-08, 07:40 AM
@Lorsa: well encoding/decoding is kind of term I use cause that is sort what I am taught in communication class. when you communicate, your encoding your message into words- the original thing, meaning and intent is wordless, but you put it into a word format. those words are then transmitted to another, and assuming no interference they hear the words- but without the meaning or intent behind them. so they have to decode the words into meaning using their own thoughts. you can see how this is problematic.

and that is sort of the problem. I can get that being a problem with "ordinary" people (quotes for sarcasm) with subjective thought and the internet screwing things up and all, but with people with autism, it can be worse. mostly because its very possible I'm encoding things different enough from how your decoding them. this of course leads to semantics. and I dislike arguing semantics. sometimes I wish words just universally meant certain things without any confusion or alternate meanings.

and kay, ignore "thicker skin" stuff because that is being a jerk. got it.

I do understand what you mean by encoding and decoding and as I said, if you want to evaluate it and get more into detail on how things you write comes across and what you can do to improve it so people read you the way to intend to, I'm willing to help.

Semantics is sometimes important for these very reasons. It isn't so much the point to argue them but to be clear on what exactly the other person means. If you're looking for universal meaning of words there's always dictionaries. There's flavour and colour in every word though and two that on first glance seem to mean the same thing can actually come with different connotations.

One thing that I believe would greatly improve how others read you would simply be to use capitalization at the beginning of every new sentence. Doing so will make you come across as more mature and possibly lead to others taking what you say more seriously because of it. If you have problems with it, you can always write your text in Word first and it will do it for you automatically.

So no fewer than 4 people have said they reckon I'm non-neurotypical, including a doctor, my sister and a guy with Asperger's and possibly some other things. Maybe I should get myself checked out... Won't make much difference to me either way, but I do like me some labels. And you never know, maybe it's help me manage some issues I've been having...

Who doesn't like labels? Go go get some! And if it ends up helping you that's just an added bonus ye? :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2013-11-08, 07:53 AM
Who doesn't like labels? Go go get some! And if it ends up helping you that's just an added bonus ye? :smallsmile:Hah. "Gotta collect 'em all", eh? :smalltongue:
I guess asking my mum would be the logical place to start...

Lord Raziere
2013-11-08, 09:59 AM
Who doesn't like labels? Go go get some! And if it ends up helping you that's just an added bonus ye? :smallsmile:

me. the labels, they lead to stereotypes, generalizations and so on. they are the root of hate and thoughtlessness in my opinion. I do not limit myself to them, and to label others is akin to an insult. they are only helpful for purely practical matters of common terms, which I wish wasn't needed. :smallsigh:

Serpentine
2013-11-08, 10:01 AM
I like 'em, they're fun and interesting *shrug* The trick is in remembering that they're descriptive, not prescriptive.

Astrella
2013-11-08, 10:03 AM
me. the labels, they lead to stereotypes, generalizations and so on. they are the root of hate and thoughtlessness in my opinion. I do not limit myself to them, and to label others is akin to an insult. they are only helpful for purely practical matters of common terms, which I wish wasn't needed. :smallsigh:

Eh, labels are going to be a thing as long as we have language, language in itself is labeling. And labels can be very handy, it's the stereotypes surrounding labels that are harmful, not the labels themselves.

The Succubus
2013-11-08, 11:15 AM
Eh, labels are going to be a thing as long as we have language, language in itself is labeling. And labels can be very handy, it's the stereotypes surrounding labels that are harmful, not the labels themselves.

Labels are a thing to be wary of though. A label should be a descriptive thing with room for flexibility; a label should never be prescriptive and set in stone.

Lorsa
2013-11-09, 12:55 PM
Hah. "Gotta collect 'em all", eh? :smalltongue:
I guess asking my mum would be the logical place to start...

I wish I had myself some more labels. Is there some place you can mailorder them or something?

I don't think labels lead to stereotypes. Like I said before on some other thread, I think stereotypes are based in flawed thinking. As long as the definition of the label applies to you then it's just a description such as "I have red hair" or "I am shorther than average". The problem is when people try to make the labels meaning more than they actually do but that's a problem with certain people and not the labels themselves.

EDIT: If labels are a problem then any form of descriptive language is similarly problematic which leads to the issue that describing people in any terms is impossible. This gets rather impractical and for some people labeling themselves in terms of a specific gender for example is very important.

SiuiS
2013-11-10, 07:25 AM

Labels are a thing to be wary of though. A label should be a descriptive thing with room for flexibility; a label should never be prescriptive and set in stone.

Basically what Raziere was getting at; as long as labels do not limit you (Are not prescriptive) then you're fine, but labels seem to be either connotatively or denotatively limiting and prescriptive by their nature.

Astrella
2013-11-10, 07:29 AM
Basically what Raziere was getting at; as long as labels do not limit you (Are not prescriptive) then you're fine, but labels seem to be either connotatively or denotatively limiting and prescriptive by their nature.

I think that's more a general consequence of how stereotyping works than an issue with labeling itself. The differences between people are still there without labels after all, and having short hands for communication is handy.

Juggling Goth
2013-11-10, 02:16 PM
I'm aware of that; I just don't like medication. Like, any medication. I don't take medicine unless it's a migraine, essentially.

Like I said, though, it's side effects I'm worried about and also just taking it. I have a tendency to forget medication. Even if I'm only an hour late, I feel bad about not taking it, which is another anxiety.

I don't know anybody who likes taking their meds. I am quite clear that they have saved my life, that therapy made me worse, that my illness is lifelong and that you will take my meds out of my cold dead hands, but I don't like taking them. The capsules are gelatine and I'm vegetarian. If they get stuck in my throat they taste like ass and I'm burping ass-taste all day. Also, you know, the massive social stigma and sense of weakness and dependency. There's always that.

It's a risk/benefit decision, which unfortunately has no right answer, only a right answer for each particular individual at a particular time.

Miriel
2013-11-10, 06:08 PM
Meh. I don't know.

I have a diagnosis myself. It's nice to have external confirmation, but still... The actual diagnosis was not useful in practice, because, well... I'm doing fine, I don't need accomodations and I can take care of myself insofar as getting better socially goes. The internal realization was more important. So... yeah.

Therapists are useful, but in the end, what is fundamental is just... trying things, see if they work, and go on from there. If you like big words, it's basically a DIY cognitive behavioural therapy. It takes courage, lots of it, and work, but the same applies to what the therapist will tell you. Actually, when I told the psychiatrist what I did, she said that it's exactly what a therapist would have told me to do.

Some of the issues with ASDs are more or less universal -- with a difference of degree --, so are some of the skills you need to develop. So having the actual diagnosis is of little importance for the "moving forward and getting better" part.

I personnally don't think that "condition X causes me problems A, B and C". It's more useful to see that I have problems A, B and C, and that the label/category "condition X" contains these and other issues I may or may not have, and maybe doesn't contain some of my problems, say D and E. For example, with Asperger's syndrome, I have problems understanding other people, I have problems with producing and receiving non-verbal cues, and I have huge social anxiety problems, but I find it more useful to understand these as separate (but related) issues, rather than manifestations of some condition. However, other issues I have (with food or gender, for example) have nothing to do with AS -- yet they are problems I have to manage nonetheless, at least as much as AS issues.

In any case, do some reading and some research. Maybe it'll be enough. I think some of this should be useful even for people who don't fit the diagnostic criteria -- some more "formal" knowledge of how social interactions work is often useful. But if a diagnosis would make you feel better, sure, go get tested. Expert confirmation is always pleasing :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2013-11-10, 09:25 PM
Honestly, it's more curiosity than anything, like finding out my blood type or whether or not I really am XX or that I have an INXS personality type or that I'm pretty much dead centre between introvert and extrovert. Probably handy info to have in some situations, but mostly I'm just curious.
Anyway back to the people it actually matters for!

No brains
2013-11-11, 12:29 AM
One problem I have is that my anxiety gets in the way of me wanting to post here. It's a little amazing how scared I can be for something so trivial and of people who are so far away. It just seems like even the smart things I try to say come out sound very stupid. I worry everyone sighs when they see my name pop up next to a post and just scrolls past.

Lorsa
2013-11-11, 03:45 AM
One problem I have is that my anxiety gets in the way of me wanting to post here. It's a little amazing how scared I can be for something so trivial and of people who are so far away. It just seems like even the smart things I try to say come out sound very stupid. I worry everyone sighs when they see my name pop up next to a post and just scrolls past.

Is there a reason you worry about these things, as in, have they happened before or are you just naturally worrying about stuff?

theangelJean
2013-11-11, 05:11 AM
Is there a reason you worry about these things, as in, have they happened before or are you just naturally worrying about stuff?

I can't speak for the person who posted this, but having had episodes of severe anxiety and had very similar worries, I wonder if this is the reason...

I think anxiety makes you worry about losing the things that you value most - not in a material sense (although maybe sometimes that's the case) but in a more conceptual sense. In my case, I used to place an exceptionally strong value on intelligence, a rather high value on people thinking well of me, and related to that a quite strong value on interpersonal relationships. Taken to extremes, this produces beliefs like "I must only ever say and do intelligent things", "I must act in a way that everyone admires" and "I must be friends with everyone I interact with". Of course these aren't realistic - everyone says something stupid sometimes, everyone makes mistakes sometimes, even if you don't there will always be someone will criticise you whatever you do (rightly or wrongly), and it's impossible to be universally liked - but anxiety makes you feel like when these beliefs aren't met, it's the most awful thing in the world, so much so that you'd do your utmost to avoid it. And then when you get caught up in it, the physiological response takes over and everything feels horrible.

Anxiety and depression can also lie to you and make you feel like only bad things are happening, when in reality life for many people is a mixture of positives and negatives. Depression likes to talk in absolutes - "Everyone thinks you're stupid", "everyone hates you" etc, whereas anxiety makes you worry that these things will come to pass, just because sometimes your beliefs aren't met.

Temotei
2013-11-11, 05:51 PM

You have no idea how many posts I've typed up and then simply not posted in this thread. I feel you.

zlefin
2013-11-11, 06:59 PM
medication worked quite well for me; I do expect to be on it for the rest of my life.
Fortunately i'm pretty good at swallowing pills, so I rarely have to deal with the bad taste.

Labels are mostly useful for pointing you toward sets of solutions that work for certain things.

shadow_archmagi
2013-11-12, 11:54 AM
Labels are also really great for knowing what is inside jars.

Juggling Goth
2013-11-13, 02:34 AM
I'm broadly in favour of having a label, because the way I see it, my weirdness isn't going to go away. And the rest of the world also has a label - it's just giant and invisible and says 'normal'. But it's very much there. "JG has this condition, you legally have to make allowances" strikes me as better than "JG's doesn't fit in and we don't know why. It's OK, we're trying to get rid of her."

My labels aren't me, and I've fought like hell against ones that do more harm than good. (Borderline Personality Disorder? Really? I am Inertia Girl; watch me make decisions at geological speed.) But they're a useful shorthand, and sometimes they get things done.

Slightly different topic but similar... I have had a bunch of arguments with shrinks because I do self-identify as 'crazy'. Everyone's thinking it; I might as well say it and claim it for my own. They say I can't say that about myself because it's negative. I say it's only negative if you're bigoted against crazy people.

Serpentine
2013-11-13, 05:33 AM
Pfffft, crazy's fine. It's the truly sane you have to watch out for...

Castaras
2013-11-13, 06:49 AM
Definitely reclaim "negative" labels for yourself. Good for you.

I stretched myself out too thin over the past few days. was in town at the Christmas rush, spent 12 hours straight dealing with people the next day, and had a 10-6 followed by 7-10 day at uni. couldn't go in the next due to stress aches and being terrified of having to deal with people face to face.

was regretting the decision until I went back to sleep and woke up after 4 more hours sleep.

I need to avoid filling up my weekend if I don't have time to myself before and after, methinks.

Serpentine
2013-11-23, 01:09 AM
Talked to Dr Mum about it. Turns out she really does think I have Asperger's. she used to think I had OCD, and apparently considered Tourette's, but thinks the symptoms that suggest those things can be sorta folded into Aspies as well. Interesting stuff. Gonna talk to a(nother) doctor about it next week I think.

So, out if curiosity, how did everyone else go about getting diagnosed? What was th prompt to seek out the information, what was the process you went through, etc?

Lord Raziere
2013-11-23, 02:14 AM
I didn't really get "prompted" to learn about my asperger condition. I just acted weird since elementary school, and thus they put me amongst the special education people. counseling y'know?

and basically years of special ed first ID'd me as having developmental dyspraxia then Aspergers through middle school, and basically I underwent special education from there. I'm one of the lucky ones. they caught me early, their counseling was top-notch and didn't include any stupid drugs, my parents were understanding, and I had supportive special ed. people helping me every step of the way. that and good school and community in general.

so yeah, I didn't have the chance to seek it out. it was kind of forced upon me by people who cared for my wellbeing and knew what they were doing. I'm kind of glad they did, despite my stubborn protestations at the time. otherwise? I might not have gotten to where I am today. that my story of how I was diagnosed.

DarkLightDragon
2013-11-23, 02:33 AM
I've been diagnosed with autism and ADHD, and I'm so glad I noticed this thread.

I was diagnosed with the former when I was 9 or 10. I can't remember much, but from what I've been told, my parents knew from the start I was a bit different, and took me to get tested when I started noticing that I didn't seem to be like all the other kids and was asking why.

As for the latter, It wasn't until I was about 17 that I got the diagnosis. I was seeing a psychiatrist about other issues, and eventually that came up.

I'm the middle of three children. My older brother is neurotypical and my younger brother is autistic.

Castaras
2013-11-23, 04:39 AM
I was diagnosed when I was 2 years old, and got help from then onwards. Really helped. Think the trigger was me saying my first word, and then going back to baby speak a few months later.

Mina Kobold
2013-11-23, 04:58 AM
So, out if curiosity, how did everyone else go about getting diagnosed? What was th prompt to seek out the information, what was the process you went through, etc?

Didn't really have the chance to seek anything out myself, sadly. A friend of one of my parents suggested the idea to them, they sent me to a psychiatrist without informing me exactly why and I was then told why afterwards. I kind of didn't like that, since I was 14 at the time. >_>

Kind of resulted in me avoiding any special education as well, except for one course that I didn't get a say in either. So I'm probably not a very good example of how to go about it. Sorries. ^_^'

Juggling Goth
2013-11-23, 05:35 AM
I finally had my occupational health appointment come through (I got referred because my team has moved into one of those godawful ultramodern open-plan shiny buildings and I can't be in it without having a sensory overload meltdown). It's next week.

I hate appointments. I've been hiding my crazy for years and I never know how crazy to perform. If you act not crazy enough they think you're lying and want attention and if you act too crazy they decide you can't be trusted to make your own decisions about your own life.

I can't 'just be yourself' when a random stranger is poking around my wounds. That's ridiculous. I wouldn't know how even if I wanted to, which I don't. It's more a matter of picking one of the less-destructive defence mechanisms.

Temotei
2013-11-23, 05:42 AM

My parents divorced and my mom made me see a psychologist. I took a test with her one day, not knowing what it was until I left for college six or seven years after. I was diagnosed with GAD.

As for depression currently, I recently took a test that assessed high likelihood of depression, almost no chance of not having an anxiety disorder, and the possibility of a mood disorder. No official diagnoses, just likelihoods. I fit the symptoms, though.

Zorg
2013-11-23, 07:08 AM

Not yet officially diagnosed, first appointment with a psych on Tuesday. Tentative diagnoses are either some form of disassociative disorder or schizophrenia. I also suffer from crippling depression, which is how I arrived at trying to get properly diagnosed as I recently ended up in hospital in a state of psychosis and about to kill myself.

I saw the doctors at the hospital then was referred to the Mental Health Crisis Team, who are basically useless- they couldn't even give me a referral to the psych (a friend of mine works in public health and the are famed for being terrible apparently), repeatedly misgendered me (I'm trans), forgot appointments etc. They did help me set up an appointment with my GP to get a referral to the psych after I had a mini-breakdown in their offices though.
The psych was recommended by my therapist, so we'll see how it goes.

I hate appointments. I've been hiding my crazy for years and I never know how crazy to perform. If you act not crazy enough they think you're lying and want attention and if you act too crazy they decide you can't be trusted to make your own decisions about your own life.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, I have real trouble feeling my emotions (I know they're there, but they're like a separate, distant part of me) but when I do I have trouble controlling them so I'm either seeming perfectly calm or a total wreck.

Miriel
2013-11-23, 09:57 AM
I used the psychological ressources at my college. I saw a psychologist, then a neuropsychologist who wrote a big report, then a psychiatrist for the official diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome (which meant, in practice, rubber-stamping the neuropsychologist's conclusion).

Closet_Skeleton
2013-11-23, 11:28 AM
When I was about 18 I got tested for Aspergers after tested for various other things and was told I didn't have Aspergers. Now around 6 years later I got tested again after two years of trying to get help for depression and was told that I still didn't have Aspergers but was severely autistic. Since the only thing to do in my area is an Aspergers support group I appear to be being treated like I was diagnosed with Aspergers anyway.

I still don't know if I can trust either diagnosis.

Jormengand
2013-11-23, 11:40 AM
You have no idea how many posts I've typed up and then simply not posted in this thread. I feel you.

Yeah, this. I get to the end of a post and then decide "Actually, no-one cares about what I'm saying," and close it down.

DarkLightDragon
2013-11-23, 11:46 AM
I'm curious to hear if any of you play competitive sports or games, and if so, how do you handle the stresses that inevitably pop up?

Me, I play Team Fortress 2, a rather silly online FPS, in 6v6 and 9v9 competitive formats. Part of playing with a team requires owning a mic and communicating different happenings-who's been downed, how much charge has each team's Medic built, where's the opposing Spy, etc.

It's fun, more so than playing on public servers for me, but sometimes it can be tough. A common thing with autism is difficulty articulating what you want to say with speech. This holds just as true with VOIPs as in real life. I often want to make a certain call, such as having spotted the enemy Spy entering a certain building or sneaking up behind a certain teammate, but don't always word it perfectly. I might take too long to get the message across, and someone might find a knife in their back as a result.

In my case, communication is especially important, as I'm mainly a Heavy player, AKA the person who looks after the Medic in 9v9 games, with my 'secondary' class being the Medic themself. The Medic is the most important person on the team, and they have the most intense job. Anyone who's played the class for a prolonged time, especially in a competitive format, will know why.

Anyway, when I ask for feedback after games, the things I hear most are that I should stick with the Medic more (when playing Heavy) or that I should communicate more (both classes, usually Medic). I try to work on these, but it's hard. I consider myself to be open about my disabilities (If someone asks, I'll answer in the affirmative), but I don't go around telling everyone I have them. Only a few people in the comp TF2 scene know I'm autistic, and so far most of them have been understanding.

I'm usually pretty chill when playing, but there have been occasions where I've become so upset that I couldn't think straight. Despite this, I've only had one instance where I went nonverbal as a result. Unfortunately, the person on the team who would've been able to recognise what was going on and calm me down wasn't playing that night, leaving everyone else to wonder why I suddenly only typed rude things on the text chat and if my mic had broken.

Wow, that was a long post. Basically, if you do something competitively, how do you cope, and do you bring someone/have a teammate who can support you?

DSmaster21
2013-11-26, 09:15 PM
Hi, I'll try to be concise. I have Asperger's Syndrome and if I get encouraged to say much more this post will be very long and kinda confusing because I talk too much trying to explain things and go off on tangents. Just found this thread in Lord Raziere's sig. I got diagnosed in Kindergarten (I think, they did some things with blocks and stuff) but didn't find out until 5th grade.

Yeah, this. I get to the end of a post and then decide "Actually, no-one cares about what I'm saying," and close it down.

Sometimes I post and then I think, ah no. I almost decided not to expand on my original post here which was just the first two sentences above.

Astrella
2013-11-26, 10:35 PM
Mew. So, I got lucky and managed to get a psych appointment yesterday and got anti-anxiety medication prescribed. I'm really hoping they'll help, they don't have many side-effects, but one of them is vivid dreams which sorta worries me cause I have vivid dreams already and quite a lot of nightmares.

I also have an appointment with an anxiety therapist this Thursday, hopefully that will help too.

Temotei
2013-11-26, 10:46 PM
Mew. So, I got lucky and managed to get a psych appointment yesterday and got anti-anxiety medication prescribed. I'm really hoping they'll help, they don't have many side-effects, but one of them is vivid dreams which sorta worries me cause I have vivid dreams already and quite a lot of nightmares.

Hopefully, the medications will work and reduce your anxiety enough to reduce the number of bad dreams you have.

I know that feel with vivid dreams, though. I actually thought one of my dreams had happened this morning (and by morning, I mean afternoon, because I slept for thirteen hours; talk about catching up) until I looked for my missing driver's license and found it right away.

I also have an appointment with an anxiety therapist this Thursday, hopefully that will help too.

Squee! :smallbiggrin:

Happy for you. Glad to see things are working out a little better now. Try to keep getting appointments, yeah? :smallsmile:

Mina Kobold
2013-11-27, 01:11 PM

I really hope your nightmares will be a lot lessened, it does not sound like a happy situation to have both vivid dreams and nightmares.

Hope that everything goes well Thursday as well. :smallsmile:

Castaras
2013-11-27, 01:51 PM
Interesting about the vivid dreams - my dreams are always very vivid, as is my imagination. I find that I end up disappearing into my own head at times with imaginings and not noticing what's going on around me until I return from my own little world.

Juggling Goth
2013-11-27, 02:28 PM
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, I have real trouble feeling my emotions (I know they're there, but they're like a separate, distant part of me) but when I do I have trouble controlling them so I'm either seeming perfectly calm or a total wreck.

I've been told my 'terrified' face comes across as more 'angry and aloof and terrifying', so that doesn't really help. I have quite the case of Bitchy Resting Face combined with the fact I just don't do body language or small talk, and I can't be spending energy doing anything about it when I'm trying to get my brain to behave. Currently having a stress as to whether to re-shave my head before the appointment. I love having my head shaved, but I've learnt over the years that the freakier you look the less seriously they take you.

Dragonwriter713
2013-11-27, 06:45 PM
I was diagnosed with Asperger's when I was six. Had a hard time in school, though I made some friends through a social group I attend. College is much easier for me than high school because I'm better at working independently. I find the posts about vivid dreams interesting, since I had quite a few of those.
Also, I have a pretty good imagination as well. I used to daydream in school a lot since I would complete assignments fairly quickly. But, sometimes it is still rough being somewhat different from others.

Astrella
2013-11-27, 06:48 PM
Squee! :smallbiggrin:

Happy for you. Glad to see things are working out a little better now. Try to keep getting appointments, yeah? :smallsmile:

Mhm. I will, just a bit nervous.

Interesting about the vivid dreams - my dreams are always very vivid, as is my imagination. I find that I end up disappearing into my own head at times with imaginings and not noticing what's going on around me until I return from my own little world.

They, it's hard to describe but they also linger a lot? Like, it's hard to shake off the dream when I wake up. And sometimes I have to remind myself that things that happened in my dreams aren't real.

And I get the disappearing in my own head thing too. Sometimes I'm walking somewhere and drifting off and then I suddenly snap back to reality and am confused as to how I seem to have skipped a bit of time.

Derjuin
2013-11-27, 07:00 PM
Hello everyone!

I have a slew of weird brain things, and probably have others, but I haven't yet seen a doctor about some of them.

I already know I have some kind of anxiety issue - I just haven't gotten it diagnosed. Everything and anything can cause an attack, though I am actually not bothered as much when I'm in a social environment. It's rather weird, because I used to be terrified of social engagement. Now it's not so bad!

I probably have either ADHD or Asperger's, but then, I can't say for sure (it's never been looked in to) and I'm not gonna trust my own armchair diagnosis :smalltongue:. After all, it might simply be a symptom of something else, rather than either of the aforementioned issues.

Last but not least I have JME, or juvenile myoclonic epilepsy. Oh boy. Pillz for lyfe :smallyuk:.

Castaras
2013-11-27, 08:19 PM
They, it's hard to describe but they also linger a lot? Like, it's hard to shake off the dream when I wake up. And sometimes I have to remind myself that things that happened in my dreams aren't real.

And I get the disappearing in my own head thing too. Sometimes I'm walking somewhere and drifting off and then I suddenly snap back to reality and am confused as to how I seem to have skipped a bit of time.

Exactly the same with me. Especially if the dream is bad, it'll affect my mood for the rest of the day and keep me nervous for a while.

Serpentine
2013-11-28, 08:08 AM
Huh. I'm not sure about "not feeling" my emotions, but I do often tend to sort of... arms-length them. I tend to analyze them a lot, and sometimes I get the "feeling" without knowing the exact cause - for example, I might feel the clenching in my stomach of dread and anxiety, but have to think hard before I can work out exactly what it is that I'm worried about.
I've also had a good 2-4 people tell me they just didn't think I felt extreme emotions, because I had never displayed them before. The thing that prompted one such observation was the full-blown mental breakdown I was in the middle of, of which they were a significant cause.

On that subject, I'm getting a blood test to try and work out why I have these Moods - periods of intense negative feelings of all kinds that usually last for a few days, and the onset and subsiding of which I can feel in a very real, almost physical way. Probably not relevant here, since they're probably hormonal rather than neuro...tic?, but kinda pertinent to the emotions subject...
Did I say? On the phone so too lazy to check. Apparently getting a neurotypicality-related diagnosis is a psychologist thing.

TFT
2013-11-28, 08:13 AM
So, uh, I'm not entirely sure this fits the description of atypical neurology, but I recently went to my schools counseling and as far as I know I'm in the process of being diagnosed for depression. (Considering I had gone in for something else entirely... Yea. Surprised me a bit.)

Since it's not confirmed and I'd rather not completely worry my family (For this. I already do so for other things. :smallamused:) I've stuck to telling my sister(Who has a B.S. in Psych and decided to tell me she figured I had it. Good timing) and a couple of close friends just to have people to discuss it with. But I'm worried because it's been affecting my schoolwork and the thing-that's-most-likely-depression (I really don't want to misdiagnose myself) is getting worse. And since I'm getting the counseling through the school, the whole process has been slow. (It's been 2.5 weeks since the first appointment and I still don't have the next one set up. I'm supposed to call back next week if they don't get to me before then.)

I just want to get this whole ordeal over with, even if the end result is bad, just so I know. And if it can be/needs to be dealt with, it can be. :smallsigh:

Astrella
2013-11-29, 03:02 AM
So, first anxiety therapist session went well, she was good about me being trans and didn't mess up about that. It was only a first session so it was mostly outlining my fears and how they express themselves, and then talking about what we're going to do to make them more manageable, and I've gotten a few exercises to do. Glad it went well. :smallsmile:

The Succubus
2013-11-29, 03:06 AM
Yay! Really glad to hear that Lena! ^.^

Juggling Goth
2013-11-30, 06:02 AM
In my ongoing adventures, I just got referred to an occupational health psychiatrist. This will be my second concurrent psychiatrist, and my eighth in thirteen years. Gotta catch 'em all! The initial OH lady also suggested the possibility of seeing a neuropsychologist, and has been the first person to look at my inability to cope with sensory input, manage my body in space, or cope with normal human interaction, and mention dyspraxia or autistic spectrum disorders as possibilities. Well, it's only taken thirty years.

I just want to get this whole ordeal over with, even if the end result is bad, just so I know. And if it can be/needs to be dealt with, it can be. :smallsigh:

Yeah, the limbo period sucks. Much sympathy. Waiting lists are appalling where I am - once I got referred for therapy, it took over a year. (And then I had three sessions and realised it was making me worse, and also the damn therapist kept calling me 'Laura' when my name's 'Lorna'. So I quit. So that was a good use of everybody's time.) My cynical side is beginning to suspect it's a very effective form of triage. Keep on keeping on, and all that. I hope you can get sorted out soon and they can refer you for something that helps.

SyntaxError
2013-12-01, 08:24 PM
So, I'm writing a story, the first time I've really written something, and one of the characters has a relatively mild autism spectrum disorder, and I'm not really sure how to go about writing from their perspective. If anyone could give me some tips about how to describe their thought, how to roleplay their perspective, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks everyone!

Miriel
2013-12-01, 08:51 PM
So, I'm writing a story, the first time I've really written something, and one of the characters has a relatively mild autism spectrum disorder, and I'm not really sure how to go about writing from their perspective. If anyone could give me some tips about how to describe their thought, how to roleplay their perspective, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks everyone!
What is this character's role in your story? Are they a minor or a major character? In general what do they do? And what kind of story is this?

For a start, I'd just read up on the condition. I guess you've done this already, but if needed, I can try to find important books/website/videos that I know and that'd help.

SyntaxError
2013-12-01, 09:08 PM
What is this character's role in your story? Are they a minor or a major character? In general what do they do? And what kind of story is this?

For a start, I'd just read up on the condition. I guess you've done this already, but if needed, I can try to find important books/website/videos that I know and that'd help.

I've done a bit of reading, they're going to be a very important character as the story progresses, it's a kind of post-apocalyptic-ish story, so I'm ideally going to be able to contrast how they react to the end of the world vs the average joe other character.

Lord Raziere
2013-12-01, 09:12 PM

Thanks everyone!

well, keep in mind the condition is a little bit dependent on the individual person, so you have wiggle room.

but I'd include at least one sense they are a little hypersensitive about- like one guy can't stand loud environments, another can't stand wearing a certain type of clothing because its too soft or too rough, and those are just two examples.

try to limit the social situations they are comfortable in. while "neurotypical" person generally can be comfortable in almost any social situation, an autistic is more likely to avoid some social situations for others because they are too uncomfortable in them to interact with anyone properly.

on the other hand, I'd give them an interest they can talk about at length for some reason that is personal to them, but anyone else would just smile and nod while they talked on and on.

also, try to be a little more honest than other people. for example, for me I don't get why I shouldn't speak my mind all the time. I mean I sort of get it- there are things that impolite and against etiquette and such, but I still don't get why etiquette is necessary, and don't really care for it even if I recognize that its important because....its like I want all communication to be a straight line and everyone around me is doing these unnecessary loops and twists and turns to get to the same destination that takes longer and is more complicated, while I really don't see why people put so much energy into complicating something that should be simple, get me?

what else, you might want to them to be a little stoic in some ways, me plus other autistics I've met generally don't smile often, it takes more social energy you see? to smile, and I myself ascribe to the thought that a neutral face is a neutral face, and that if you aren't actively happy, you don't smile, because why do you want to lie to people about being happy by smiling when your not, get me?

but! this doesn't mean they don't have sense of humor, it just means their humor
is kind of different in ways, often trying for sardonic humor or wittiness.

oh and if you've heard about autistic lacking empathy, thats a myth, there are actually studies shown that autistic people tend to have MORE. its just that they are bad at recognizing social cues and body language, which gives the perception that they don't care, when they really they just don't recognize social stuff beyond the more obvious things.

they have a normal distribution of intelligence, an autistic is no more likely to be a genius than anyone else. they are just more likely to know a narrow range of subjects more deeply, because they care a lot about them, and therefore leads them to look into them more and spend time on them more, to the point where they care less about things outside of those interests.

Basically, an autistic person sort of wants things to be simple in a way: if an Autistic had their way with the world, they'd simplify everything outside of their interests in the belief that it would improve the situation so that people wouldn't have to deal with more complicated factors, then they'd focus exclusively on what they want to pursue, what they are interested in fully and without any interruptions in trying to develop them.

thats the best I can give you really. hope it helps.

Edit: oh so its a post-apocalyptic story? hm.

well that probably poses problems for the autistic person. most of them tend to have lower energy levels others and not go outside or exercise much, and are more likely to be set in there ways than other people. post-apocalyptic society generally means that the autistic person is VERY afraid, because its a MASSIVE change, autistic people tend to be stressed out over changes that normal people would have no problem with- they often have set schedules for their days you see- so an autistic person would probably have a harder time adjusting to the apocalypse compared to a normal person, because they would be more attached to the routine life they built up and all the interests they had, as well the apocalypse meaning they probably have to deal with all sorts of unpleasant sensations they normally would not, just from the fact that they have to focus on doing a lot of things physically and working with a group to survive. I'd say that unfortunately, an autistic person is one of the LEAST likely to survive an apocalypse, because they don't focus on practical things like physical or social stuff, which would are vital in such situations....unless one of their interests ARE apocalypses, then they might actually do well, who knows.

and if given the opportunity, they're probably the most likely to try and reclaim something of their former life and try to seek something familiar for them to latch onto.

Temotei
2013-12-01, 09:34 PM
what else, you might want to them to be a little stoic in some ways, me plus other autistics I've met generally don't smile often, it takes more social energy you see? to smile, and I myself ascribe to the thought that a neutral face is a neutral face, and that if you aren't actively happy, you don't smile, because why do you want to lie to people about being happy by smiling when your not, get me?

My brother (who has autism) smiles more than he doesn't smile, I'd say. He's very facially expressive, actually.

EDIT: Not that I'm disagreeing with you; I'm just pointing out that there are exceptions, which really just reinforces what you said earlier about there being a lot of room for individual differences.

Lord Raziere
2013-12-01, 09:45 PM
oh I know that, take everything I said with like, room for exceptions on all points.

there people who theorize that autistic traits are just normal human traits everyone possesses to varying degrees, while there are autistics who started out as not very social but became more social through pure practice and skill rather than talent.

also, edited my first post on this for the apocalypse thing.

Miriel
2013-12-02, 01:26 AM
I've done a bit of reading, they're going to be a very important character as the story progresses, it's a kind of post-apocalyptic-ish story, so I'm ideally going to be able to contrast how they react to the end of the world vs the average joe other character.
Lord Raziere gave you all the basics.

Otherwise, try to just make them a normal person... with special traits. Say, build an interesting character, then factor in the ASD. You may even think about not disclosing the condition if it's not actually meaningful or useful in story. I think we need more stories with fictional characters who happen to have certain conditions, as opposed to walking DSM checklists.

oh and if you've heard about autistic lacking empathy, thats a myth, there are actually studies shown that autistic people tend to have MORE. its just that they are bad at recognizing social cues and body language, which gives the perception that they don't care, when they really they just don't recognize social stuff beyond the more obvious things.
I always read that, and it's really a debate of definitions. When someone says "AS people lack empathy", they mean it in the technical sense of being naturally less able to understand what others feel, which is true. When someone else answers "AS people do not lack empathy", they mean that they care about others, which is again true.

Lord Raziere
2013-12-02, 04:31 AM
I always read that, and it's really a debate of definitions. When someone says "AS people lack empathy", they mean it in the technical sense of being naturally less able to understand what others feel, which is true. When someone else answers "AS people do not lack empathy", they mean that they care about others, which is again true.

ok, perhaps a better way to describe it is that they lack empathy, but not sympathy, they can't tell what other people are people are feeling as well as others, but once they do know, they are incredibly sympathetic, honest and true about their feelings.

which is oddly, many ways the opposite of the sociopathic condition where one has empathy, the ability to understand how others feel and such, but no sympathy to the point where they consider others objects with buttons to be pushed.

these two conditions, I think are opposites sides of the natural outgrowth of how humans naturally interact: mixing in social responses that have strategies and purposes to them with genuine responses that come from the heart, to varying degrees and in different situations.

its interesting really. the people who likely understand others the most are the least likely to be helpful. the people who least understand others are probably the ones who want to help more than anything. isn't that weird? you think it would be other way around! which raises the question: what is about semi-isolated recluses who spend time focused on narrow interests who don't understand others that causes such sympathy?

Castaras
2013-12-02, 05:36 AM
Also with regards low energy levels - it's less, for me, that I have low energy levels, more that I consume more energy to do the same stuff.

Otherwise, Raziere is spot on.

One thing to also note - us with AS/Autism are less self-aware than other people. Certainly for me, I find it difficult to identify what is upsetting me / causing anxiety, and also find it difficult to define myself other than through labels that other people have given me.

Temotei
2013-12-02, 11:47 AM
One thing to also note - us with AS/Autism are less self-aware than other people. Certainly for me, I find it difficult to identify what is upsetting me / causing anxiety, and also find it difficult to define myself other than through labels that other people have given me.

I still have trouble identifying my anxiety sources--especially until after the fact--and I don't have any autism spectrum disorder, as far as I know. I do exhibit some "symptoms" that people with autism show and others pretty much never do, but that's not enough to self-diagnose, obviously.

Dragonwriter713
2013-12-02, 02:40 PM
Hmm, it is interesting to see I'm not the only one writing Autistic characters. It is a little easier for me since I have Asperger's. I agree with the above points about being upset by change and being a bit stoic. However, I would like to point out that a lot of people on the spectrum (me included) often have obsessive interests (for me trains, history and fantasy/D&D stuff.) and I've noticed that I along with some of my friends kind of ramble if you get us talking about preferred subjects.

DarkLightDragon
2013-12-03, 05:25 AM
The self-awareness thing works with various senses. I, for example, tend to speak too quietly or too loud, and I won't have the slightest clue unless someone tells me.

In other news, there's a game called To The Moon that can be bought relatively cheap on Steam. It's mostly story, but it's absolutely beautiful. There's a character on the spectrum who is amazingly well-written. It's never outright stated what her condition is, but to those who know what to look for, it isn't hard to find.

Dragonwriter713
2013-12-03, 09:56 AM
The self-awareness thing works with various senses. I, for example, tend to speak too quietly or too loud, and I won't have the slightest clue unless someone tells me.

In other news, there's a game called To The Moon that can be bought relatively cheap on Steam. It's mostly story, but it's absolutely beautiful. There's a character on the spectrum who is amazingly well-written. It's never outright stated what her condition is, but to those who know what to look for, it isn't hard to find.
Yeah, I've noticed the voice tone thing when my friends and I get together to play D&D. Everybody in the D&D group is/was from a local social group so everybody in the group is on the spectrum. Sometimes we get a little to loud, and in the one player's house (we switch between three of the player's houses) I get the impression his parents are not to thrilled with the group, but they don't show outright disdain.

Astrella
2013-12-03, 11:26 PM
Bleh, adjusting to my anti-anxiety meds is making me feel really anxious. And it's weird, cause it's just the physical side mostly, so restlessness, can't sit still, cold sweats, tense stomach and hard to eat things, but mentally I'm pretty calm and not really fretting about anything.

My psych told me this would likely happen while adjusting, I just hope it passes soon cause it's pretty annoying and draining.

Temotei
2013-12-03, 11:29 PM
Bleh, adjusting to my anti-anxiety meds is making me feel really anxious. And it's weird, cause it's just the physical side mostly, so restlessness, can't sit still, cold sweats, tense stomach and hard to eat things, but mentally I'm pretty calm and not really fretting about anything.

My psych told me this would likely happen while adjusting, I just hope it passes soon cause it's pretty annoying and draining.

Hang in there. You've got this.

Closet_Skeleton
2013-12-04, 07:22 PM

I remember someone claiming that nobody actually has empathy and that some people are just better at faking it than anyone else, but I have a suspicion that they were fictional and most likely an antagonist.

But a lot of 'austism facts' are based on out of date theories about one of the youngest scientific disciplines. Saying 'autistic people lack empathy' is a lot easier than defining empathy in the first place.

I had a talk on Aspergers today. None of the people there with Aspergers thought they lacked empathy but there was some interesting things about processes that can be misconstrued as a lack of empathy. Embarrasingly a mere 8 hours later I can't remember what it was called. It was probably this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_mind).

Miriel
2013-12-04, 11:08 PM
I remember someone claiming that nobody actually has empathy and that some people are just better at faking it than anyone else, but I have a suspicion that they were fictional and most likely an antagonist.

But a lot of 'austism facts' are based on out of date theories about one of the youngest scientific disciplines. Saying 'autistic people lack empathy' is a lot easier than defining empathy in the first place.

I had a talk on Aspergers today. None of the people there with Aspergers thought they lacked empathy but there was some interesting things about processes that can be misconstrued as a lack of empathy. Embarrasingly a mere 8 hours later I can't remember what it was called. It was probably this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_mind).
I think I gave two definitions of empathy, so it's not so difficult to define. Both of them are workable and used in practice. The first one (i.e. understanding what other people feel) is more technically correct and neutral, but the second (i.e. compassion, sympathy), which derives from the first by extension, is more widespread in day-to-day language and has a meliorative connotation.

The problem is not so much lack of definition than confusion of definitions between locutor and interlocutor. When some scientist or other specialist says we have low empathy, they refer to the neutral, technical sense. It goes with theory of mind issues, and is without any doubt an ASD problem. However, some people read in it the meliorative, less formal meaning of "empathy", and denounce the idea that ASD people lack empathy as an unjustified attack. (Obviously, other people read it the same way, don't go further, and see ASD people as murderous chainsaw-wielding criminals, which is more of an issue...)

It's just a problem of communication on both sides, in the end. In the end, for the sake of understanding each other, it would be better to promote other technical terminology, but it doesn't mean that ASD people's "lack of empathy" is a myth.

On the issue of explicit definition, I found that the more serious the paper, the more clearly exposed the definition of "empathy". Scientific journal articles are better at this than vulgarization books by researchers which are better than websites which are better than random utterances by half-informed people.

Castaras
2013-12-05, 06:24 AM
Yeah, I would say that I can't always tell people's emotions straight off, nor am I good at identifying how someone is feeling. I do find that people like talking to me about problems, however, so I think I can do that side of empathy.

The Succubus
2013-12-05, 06:34 AM
Yeah, I would say that I can't always tell people's emotions straight off, nor am I good at identifying how someone is feeling. I do find that people like talking to me about problems, however, so I think I can do that side of empathy.

I think this emotional "shortsightedness" (and I apologize for the term - couldn't think of a better way of phrasing it) can actually be a real blessing and possibly why folks go to you for advice (you know, in addition to being a sweet and wonderful person).

Because you aren't so good at reading folks, you have to work from a more logical point of view. This allows you to see a problem dispassionately; so if someone is all tangled up emotionally, you're in a better position to help them unknot themselves. :smallsmile:

Thornonymous
2013-12-07, 06:59 PM
Hi all, 22 M Aspie here, I got diagnosed in middle school but my parents knew I was odd since I was like 1. I would not shut up. I talked and talked and talked. I quoted whole chunks of the deposition in the O.J. Simpson Trial verbatim even though I could not understand what it meant (Echolalia FTW! :smallsmile:).

I have very high emotional capacity but a very low threshold for tolerating stress, which led to lots of tantrums. If I know someone, I can kinda tell how they're doing, but if not I have very low social cue sensitivity.

I somehow managed to have the good luck to have my middle school principal transfer to my high school, so she already knew what was going on with me (IEP and she helped me with a bully problem). I had a reduced courseload from sophomore year on, and took an extra year (and a half at a junior college) to graduate, but i got to do the whole thing with the stage which was cool. I'm now at the same JC working on an engineering transfer program. I LOVE ROBOTS! I did FIRST Robotics Competition all 5 years I was in high school.

My superpowers include technical drawing, being able to repair old electronics, kludging together computers, and cooking (Chemistry you can snack on! :smalltongue:) I love lego, D&D, MtG, and other computer and traditional games, and my memory for random crap people probably will never need in real life is extensive (I am able to recite the majority of the lore behind The Elder Scrolls, Forgotten Realms, and several other fantasy/scifi worlds).

I also fence, am training to fight with hammers and/or polearms :smallsmile:, I'm about to learn to use a forge :smallbiggrin: , and am looking for a iaido dojo less than 1 state away :smallannoyed:.

Thornonymous
2013-12-07, 07:16 PM

I have it a bit worse - I run into walls :smallredface:. I have no concept of edges unless I know the location really well, but at that point i can walk around with my eyes closed.

Serpentine
2013-12-07, 11:24 PM
Online tests* say I don't have Asperger's (it seems I like people too much). But a whole lot say I do have major depression, so... winning?

*not a substitute for an actual diagnosis. But I did do a whole bunch from a variety of apparently reasonably reliable sources.

Miriel
2013-12-08, 12:03 AM
Online tests* say I don't have Asperger's (it seems I like people too much). But a whole lot say I do have major depression, so... winning?

*not a substitute for an actual diagnosis. But I did do a whole bunch from a variety of apparently reasonably reliable sources.
Following, you gender icon, I gather you are female. Know that diagnosis of AS in female is very complex, the online tests are even less of a substitute. Girls with ASD are especially different in how they interact with others, so maybe your scores just reflect that. As you said, it doesn't replace the official process, nothing can.

However, it is true that they point in the right direction. + those tests are much, much better at saying that you don't have ASD than at confirming that you do.

Lord Raziere
2013-12-08, 12:19 AM

....can you point me in the direction of these? I want to test out if they're reliable. I'm an actual guy with aspergers so if they are really on the mark, I should come out positive. if they don't well... :smallamused: thats internet tests for you.

Castaras
2013-12-08, 08:20 AM
Yeah, aspergers in females is definitely not diagnosed well in tests.

I've been told that despite me definitely having Aspergers, under the new definition of everything being Autism I wouldn't have been diagnosed, because as a child I was quite friendly and bubbly.

Mx.Silver
2013-12-08, 07:20 PM

Something I found out due to having spent most of my later teens in a post- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime world is that a fair amount of the general public have difficulty distinguishing between someone with Asperger's and mere depressed introverts such as myself. So I can relate to this a fair bit.
Aside from the 'winning' part, but that's another conversation entirely.

SyntaxError
2013-12-08, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the help everyone! My story is progressing and I feel like I can understand autism and asperger's much better now.

Hmm, it is interesting to see I'm not the only one writing Autistic characters.

Good luck with your writing! I've never really tried writing anything not assigned in school before, but I'm finding it to be a great experience now.

Juggling Goth
2013-12-09, 02:40 AM
....can you point me in the direction of these? I want to test out if they're reliable. I'm an actual guy with aspergers so if they are really on the mark, I should come out positive. if they don't well... :smallamused: thats internet tests for you.

One of the common ones is here (http://www.channel4embarrassingillnesses.com/features/take-the-autism-test/). (I get 34, do I win?) As it says, it's not a diagnostic. 80% of people with autism score 32 or higher - which means 20%, or one in five, of people with a diagnosed ASD don't. Looking at the questions in the light of what my teaching assistant partner has told me about ASD in girls, I can see how it's biased towards a stereotypically male presentation. She tells me that because girls are socialised towards, well, socialising, they tend to learn to fake the social skills earlier and put up with social situations they don't like, at the cost of increased anxiety.

For me, the symptoms that are raising warning flags are a) sensory defensiveness/overload and b) massive social anxiety, and I think each of those has only one question out of 40+. Onward to the occupational health psychiatrist... (My day-to-day-life psychiatrist has changed and the new one has all the empathy of a hypothetical offspring of Xykon and Tarquin, but that's another story.)

Lord Raziere
2013-12-09, 02:49 AM
I got a 33 on that so, I guess that one is on the mark. interesting really.

Serpentine
2013-12-09, 03:15 AM
I just did a google search for Asperger's/autism tests and did a whole lot - mostly the ones from more "official-looking" sites - and same for mental health tests.

Castaras
2013-12-09, 04:30 AM
36. never know when answering that test what to say regards theatre and museum. depends entirely on what they're both on. Also depends on the social situation. 2-3 friendssure. so long as I don't need time out from people.

Lycunadari
2013-12-09, 05:19 AM
Huh, I got 37 on that test. That's the first test where I got a positive result. But that might come from my huge social anxiety that has gotten worse in the last year. Though I've wondered if I might have some sort of mild autism before. But my family apparently never noticed anything unusual.

Juggling Goth
2013-12-09, 05:34 AM
Huh, I got 37 on that test. That's the first test where I got a positive result. But that might come from my huge social anxiety that has gotten worse in the last year. Though I've wondered if I might have some sort of mild autism before. But my family apparently never noticed anything unusual.

Yeah, I can usually get a positive or borderline result on social discomfort and agoraphobia alone. Jury's still out on my oddness - I'm clearly not on Team Neurotypical, but dyspraxia and ASD are both possibilities.

Miriel
2013-12-09, 05:55 AM
One of the common ones is here (http://www.channel4embarrassingillnesses.com/features/take-the-autism-test/). (I get 34, do I win?) As it says, it's not a diagnostic. 80% of people with autism score 32 or higher - which means 20%, or one in five, of people with a diagnosed ASD don't.
The detailed statistics for these things are online, specifically in this article (http://docs.autismresearchcentre.com/papers/2005_Woodbury-Smith_etal_ScreeningAdultsForAS.pdf).

Closet_Skeleton
2013-12-09, 09:21 AM
I only got 21

36. never know when answering that test what to say regards theatre and museum. depends entirely on what they're both on.

I found that one annoying too.

Even if I enjoy museums more than theatres, logically I'd go to the theatre because museums can wait while if you miss a performance then its gone forever. If I go to museums more than theatres its because they're cheaper and require less planning ahead, it doesn't mean I'm choosing museums over theatres or would ever do so if someone gave me that specific choice.

Its not like museums aren't public spaces filled with strangers. The British Museum Food court produces some of the most unbearable noice I can remember.

I got annoyed when I got to the bottom and found out that strongly/slightly was completely irrelevant and got scored the same.

Mina Kobold
2013-12-09, 10:30 AM
I got a 23, that was quite odd. ^_^'

A lot of the questions felt really imprecise when I answered them, though. Social situations are very varied for me and my preferences for whether to do something with others really depend on what we're doing. Would not want to try to build a moon laser on my own. X3

Miriel
2013-12-09, 10:47 AM
Even if I enjoy museums more than theatres, logically I'd go to the theatre because museums can wait while if you miss a performance then its gone forever. If I go to museums more than theatres its because they're cheaper and require less planning ahead, it doesn't mean I'm choosing museums over theatres or would ever do so if someone gave me that specific choice.

Its not like museums aren't public spaces filled with strangers. The British Museum Food court produces some of the most unbearable noice I can remember.
I choose the theater too, because I don't like museums that much.

The way they do these tests is: They come up with a lot of questions, they ask tons of people to answer them, and find out which, for a specific aspect of ASD, are more statistically linked with a diagnosis. Those are the fifty they put in the test.

No matter how biased and self-reinforcing this process is (a bigger problem for women), it's more reliable than just choosing nice-looking questions. In the end, it doesn't matter that one or two questions are strange, because... well, there are many questions.

It must also be remembered that the test is made for people who don't know the least thing about autism and come up to their GP or whatever asking for help. It's a screening test, it's meant to distinguish someone with ASD from someone with schizophrenia or depression or some obscure thyroidal problem, which it sort of does. It is not meant to fully comprehend the complex psyche of people with ASD, as it doesn't.

I got annoyed when I got to the bottom and found out that strongly/slightly was completely irrelevant and got scored the same.
It's just a standard social psychology trick to force you into making a choice. Rating them the same allows not to discriminate against people like me who almost never choose the "full" answers, because "completely agree/disagree" is too strong a statement.

Jormengand
2013-12-09, 11:52 AM
:elan: I got a 35! You know, because of all those responses that give me a +1 to my score!

Well, uh, I guess that's about right. Ehh.

Nameless Ghost
2013-12-09, 04:18 PM
Well that certainly makes sense about scoring strongly/slightly the same, I wasn't aware of that as a technique.

Go figure, I am one of those who pretty much refuses to ever choose "strongly" on these types of tests. Though maybe that's because I often find myself thinking, "question is N/A, I guess I'll choose slightly in the direction that's most likely".

Incidentally, I scored 32. I think I scored 34 or 35 when I took a similar test online a few years ago. Interesting.

Dragonwriter713
2013-12-09, 06:17 PM
I got a 36 probably because of the museum question. I do like museums. Been to the Carnegie Museum of Natural History, B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore, The Flagship Niagara Museum in Erie PA, and the Smithsonian Air and Space museum and Natural History Museum. Anyway got a little sidetracked there. I have a question did anyone else have to go to a "Special" school? I went to two different ones and had a fairly horrible experience at both.

Miriel
2013-12-09, 07:37 PM
I got a 36 probably because of the museum question. I do like museums. Been to the Carnegie Museum of Natural History, B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore, The Flagship Niagara Museum in Erie PA, and the Smithsonian Air and Space museum and Natural History Museum. Anyway got a little sidetracked there.
I think you have 36 mostly because of the other 49 questions.

Though maybe that's because I often find myself thinking, "question is N/A, I guess I'll choose slightly in the direction that's most likely".
It's for this very reason that they force you to make a choice :smalltongue:

Temotei
2013-12-09, 09:12 PM
I'm too aware of the criteria for a diagnosis to reliably take that test. Too many signals making me want to say yes or no to certain things. :smalltongue:

sktarq
2013-12-11, 01:32 AM
These test thingies always amuse me to no end. I have a bit of a fascination with them-don't care what they are measuring really I just find it hugely amusing that people think that by clicking on these bubbles they think they know anything about you.
I got a 27 by the way. Probably because I'm well socialized and have have plenty of either empathy or a targeted human emotional simulator mental software program that works passably well.

Serpentine
2013-12-11, 05:33 AM
For the curious, this was the most comprehensive mental health test (http://psychologytoday.tests.psychtests.com/take_test.php?idRegTest=3040) I found through a quick look (shouldn't need to be said, but just to be clear: NOT AN ACTUAL DIAGNOSIS TOOL. NOT AN ADEQUATE SUBSTITUTION FOR AN ACTUAL MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL). It also gives some idea of what sort of treatment such a diagnosis would involve.
Major Depressive Disorder
"some signs of experiencing a manic episode"
"some symptoms of Bipolar Disorder"
"some of the signs of Generalized Anxiety Disorder"
"some of the issues related to Body Dysmorphic Disorder"

I don't think the rest is likely (though it's true I'm not a fan of my appearance), but enough different tests have shown positive for major depressive that I'm thinking I probably ought to talk to a psychologist at some point.

Castaras
2013-12-11, 06:52 AM
For the curious, this was the most comprehensive mental health test (http://psychologytoday.tests.psychtests.com/take_test.php?idRegTest=3040) I found through a quick look (shouldn't need to be said, but just to be clear: NOT AN ACTUAL DIAGNOSIS TOOL. NOT AN ADEQUATE SUBSTITUTION FOR AN ACTUAL MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL). It also gives some idea of what sort of treatment such a diagnosis would involve.

I don't think the rest is unlikely, but enough different tests have shown positive for major depressive that I'm thinking I probably ought to talk to a psychologist at some point.

According to that test I have symptoms of:

Depression
Manic Episodes
Bipolar
Social Phobia
OCD
Generalized Anxiety
Panic
Agoraphobia

and have a symptom or two of Body Dysmorphic but don't worry about it.

That compared to what I actually have is interesting. I have autism, which explains the social phobia, agoraphobia, and OCD. I have anxiety either from autism or as an added thing, which explains the manic, bipolar, generalised anxiety, and panic.

Fascinating. :smallsmile: Wish I could have seen what symptoms pointed towards which disorders.

Miriel
2013-12-11, 08:24 AM

I don't think the rest is likely (though it's true I'm not a fan of my appearance), but enough different tests have shown positive for major depressive that I'm thinking I probably ought to talk to a psychologist at some point.
Do you think the issues that make the test suggest derpression are a problem you want to solve?

Serpentine
2013-12-11, 08:27 AM
Do you think the issues that make the test suggest derpression are a problem you want to solve?During my last Mood I was effectively nonfuctional, and I've been completely miserable for most of this year, so yeah.

Miriel
2013-12-11, 08:50 AM
During my last Mood I was effectively nonfuctional, and I've been completely miserable for most of this year, so yeah.
OK.

It's just that you worded it as though you would seek a specialist just because of the test results, and that didn't sound like a productive attitude.

Serpentine
2013-12-11, 08:57 AM
Nah, other way round: I started looking at those tests because I've been worried about my mental health.

zlefin
2013-12-11, 03:25 PM
got a 22 on that Asperger's test. Sounds plausible. Trying out this other one now to see what it says. No issues; sound about right, medication has worked really well for me; and I'm also in a situation that's very stable and low pressure so not many triggers to cause problems.

Thornonymous
2013-12-12, 03:27 PM
This is what I got on the test from http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=93&p2=93&p3=86&p4=68&p5=72&p6=65&p7=84&p8=62&p9=83&p10=48&p11=89&p12=44

I have a professional diagnosis, and this seems fairly similar to what my psychologists say.

It also looks like a Fibonacci spiral which makes me happy.

Jormengand
2013-12-12, 04:52 PM
URL="http://psychologytoday.tests.psychtests.com/take_test.php?idRegTest=3040"]this was the most comprehensive mental health test[/URL]

Apparently I have Panic Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, Social Phobia, OCD, PTSD, General Anxiety Disorder, Hypoactive sexual desire disorder, and Anorexia Nervosa (this I know is wrong - I hate hate hate being thin).

http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=55&p2=64&p3=45&p4=85&p5=72&p6=92&p7=51&p8=67&p9=33&p10=43&p11=56&p12=24

Well, I'm not sure what I am, but I seem to have hyper-confusing disorder.

Reality Glitch
2013-12-12, 06:03 PM
The picture looks like an A-bomb.:smallbiggrin:

Nameless Ghost
2013-12-12, 07:55 PM
My psychology looks like a...
http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=68&p2=66&p3=53&p4=89&p5=85&p6=75&p7=71&p8=73&p9=48&p10=43&p11=54&p12=49

graph?

Or maybe it looks like... uh? I have nothing. =(

Lord Raziere
2013-12-12, 08:17 PM

huh, mine looks like:
http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=94&p2=76&p3=95&p4=90&p5=77&p6=72&p7=66&p8=77&p9=62&p10=37&p11=83&p12=43

sort of like a hand, guess this explains a lot, aspergers is one thing, but this is somehow a little more exact.

Temotei
2013-12-12, 09:48 PM
Here's mine:

http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=59&p2=52&p3=47&p4=47&p5=51&p6=33&p7=63&p8=23&p9=62&p10=23&p11=68&p12=26

Mine appears to be quite a bit more circular than others' here.

Moriwen
2013-12-12, 11:17 PM
Mine:

http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=37&p2=45&p3=62&p4=55&p5=36&p6=10&p7=43&p8=24&p9=38&p10=28&p11=25&p12=51

Pretty much what I always see from these tests. I'm obviously neurotypical (in the aspie/non-aspie respect), especially with regards to the social things: extroverted, find chit-chat easy and enjoyable, good at guessing other people's feelings. But I display a lot of other behaviors that show up on these tests -- fidgeting, having very strong routines and getting upset when they're disrupted, peeling flakes, pacing, talking too loudly, really liking spinning objects and flowing water, etc.

Guess that just makes me quirky. :) I do like the way of showing the output on this test, because it shows what often gets lost in the average for me: socially clearly neurotypical, but with that little spike on the "compulsion" axis.

Taet
2013-12-13, 12:08 AM

http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=93&p2=93&p3=86&p4=68&p5=72&p6=65&p7=84&p8=62&p9=83&p10=48&p11=89&p12=44

I have a professional diagnosis, and this seems fairly similar to what my psychologists say.

It also looks like a Fibonacci spiral which makes me happy.

Thank you for the link to the clever test. It is nice to finally see a good use of that silly spider web shaped graph style. But my graph and the test Serpentine brought here said I do not belong here so I am leaving again.

Thornonymous
2013-12-13, 12:59 AM
Thank you for the link to the clever test. It is nice to finally see a good use of that silly spider web shaped graph style. But my graph and the test Serpentine brought here said I do not belong here so I am leaving again.

That doesn't mean you need to go! :smalleek: You can still stay and talk! :smallsmile:

bluewind95
2013-12-13, 02:28 AM
Well, I'm not sure what I am, but I seem to have hyper-confusing disorder.

You're a fishie~! <3 :smallbiggrin:

I got a 36 on the first quiz. Not the first time I score fairly high on those tests (and I've gotten "better" in some of those...), but I don't have the means to go and get looked at by a professional. We'll see.

sktarq
2013-12-13, 02:33 AM
Because it is fun

Your Aspie score: 132 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

LoL-I'll post it when I get to my own computer
or Just break it down
Normal Aspie
Talent 4 6.3
Compulsion 2.5 5.9
Social 5.5 7
Communication 3 6.5
Hunting 5.5 8.8
Perception 5.7 7

the normal social stands out as a neat little spike-showing years of work to get people. :smallsmile:

BladeofObliviom
2013-12-13, 02:51 AM
So, erm, hi? I haven't posted in this thread yet, so I suppose this is where I'm supposed to introduce myself.

Some of you might already know me from FFRP, my occasional appearances on Random Banter, or from one of the several games I've DM'd or played in on this forum, so hello to all of you. :smallsmile:

For the (no doubt) many who don't, I'm BladeofOblivion, though that's usually shortened to "Blade" or "BoO" or (once in a blue moon) "Oblivion", none of which bother me.

I'm an American cisgender male (if not a particularly masculine one) with mild-to-moderate social anxiety and a very noticeable case of Aspergers Disorder, to the point where nearly every new acquaintance I meet in person is able to identify the presence of some anomaly within the span of a conversation or two.

Online communication, where I have time to formulate sentences that people actually understand, and where there is no influence from tone or nonverbal language, forms a medium in which I can much more easily express my thoughts and where my issues are much, much less obvious. :smallsmile:

I was first unofficially diagnosed with ASD by my Pediatrician in Early Childhood, but at the time my parents were unaware of any special services to help alleviate the negative aspects and apparently the doctor even admitted that it would have been little more than a label, so it was left off of the record.

In spite of (or perhaps even because of) AD, I more or less breezed through Elementary School. Heck, my teachers even moved me into the hardest classes they could, just for the sake of actually challenging me. I was already well-versed in Algebra by the time I'd finished sixth grade.

One effect that has continued into adulthood, much to my chagrin, has been a deficit in motor dexterity, particularly when it comes to writing in pen or pencil. This caused me a lot of trouble in Junior High and High School, where time-limited handwritten Essay writing is a major part of the curriculum. Well, aside from mathematics, anyway. I'm beginning to wonder if this particular issue is at least partially somatoform, given that I've no such difficulty typing.

Anyway, I came across the Wikipedia article on AD sometime in 7th grade, and self-diagnosed with that information after some consideration. When I mentioned this to my parents, of course, they looked at each other and told me that my Pediatrician had said the same thing years ago. So, naturally, we went to an actual psychiatrist (or maybe a clinical psychologist. Admittedly I'm not entirely sure of the difference.) with my concern, and eventually I received a proper diagnosis.

As for my social life, "dead" would be an almost charitable way to describe it. I just don't really go out and do things with people, because I just don't really get the same emotional "high" as other people apparently do when interacting with friends. Compounding this, I happen to also be a personally sex-repulsed aromantic asexual individual, which tends to make me uncomfortable whenever the topic of sexuality comes up because frankly I don't understand it and probably never really will. That's not really a topic for this thread, though, so I'll leave it at that.

So, um, yeah. More than you ever wanted to know about Blade's life and history with Asperger's, there.

EDIT: @V: Yay, validation! :smalltongue:

The Succubus
2013-12-13, 02:57 AM
So, erm, hi? I haven't posted in this thread yet, so I suppose this is where I'm supposed to introduce myself.

Some of you might already know me from FFRP, my occasional appearances on Random Banter, or from one of the several games I've DM'd or played in on this forum, so hello to all of you. :smallsmile:

For the (no doubt) many who don't, I'm BladeofOblivion, though that's usually shortened to "Blade" or "BoO" or (once in a blue moon) "Oblivion", none of which bother me.

I'm an American cisgender male (if not a particularly masculine one) with mild-to-moderate social anxiety and a very noticeable case of Aspergers Disorder, to the point where nearly every new acquaintance I meet in person is able to identify the presence of some anomaly within the span of a conversation or two.

Online communication, where I have time to formulate sentences that people actually understand, and where there is no influence from tone or nonverbal language, forms a medium in which I can much more easily express my thoughts and where my issues are much, much less obvious. :smallsmile:

I was first unofficially diagnosed with ASD by my Pediatrician in Early Childhood, but at the time my parents were unaware of any special services to help alleviate the negative aspects and apparently the doctor even admitted that it would have been little more than a label, so it was left off of the record.

In spite of (or perhaps even because of) AD, I more or less breezed through Elementary School. Heck, my teachers even moved me into the hardest classes they could, just for the sake of actually challenging me. I was already well-versed in Algebra by the time I'd finished sixth grade.

One effect that has continued into adulthood, much to my chagrin, has been a deficit in motor dexterity, particularly when it comes to writing in pen or pencil. This caused me a lot of trouble in Junior High and High School, where time-limited handwritten Essay writing is a major part of the curriculum. Well, aside from mathematics, anyway. I'm beginning to wonder if this particular issue is at least partially somatoform, given that I've no such difficulty typing.

Anyway, I came across the Wikipedia article on AD sometime in 7th grade, and self-diagnosed with that information after some consideration. When I mentioned this to my parents, of course, they looked at each other and told me that my Pediatrician had said the same thing years ago. So, naturally, we went to an actual psychiatrist (or maybe a clinical psychologist. Admittedly I'm not entirely sure of the difference.) with my concern, and eventually I received a proper diagnosis.

As for my social life, "dead" would be an almost charitable way to describe it. I just don't really go out and do things with people, because I just don't really get the same emotional "high" as other people apparently do when interacting with friends. Compounding this, I happen to also be a personally sex-repulsed aromantic asexual individual, which tends to make me uncomfortable whenever the topic of sexuality comes up because frankly I don't understand it and probably never really will. That's not really a topic for this thread, though, so I'll leave it at that.

So, um, yeah. More than you ever wanted to know about Blade's life and history with Asperger's, there.

Blade is really, really cool and plays a terrific PbP. ^_^

Thornonymous
2013-12-13, 04:00 AM
Because it is fun

Your Aspie score: 132 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200

LoL-I'll post it when I get to my own computer
or Just break it down
Normal Aspie
Talent 4 6.3
Compulsion 2.5 5.9
Social 5.5 7
Communication 3 6.5
Hunting 5.5 8.8
Perception 5.7 7

the normal social stands out as a neat little spike-showing years of work to get people. :smallsmile:
It gives you a hunk of code you can paste in that gives you a linked image.
Yours would be:http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=63&p2=60&p3=59&p4=75&p5=70&p6=45&p7=65&p8=70&p9=88&p10=45&p11=70&p12=43
I reverse-engineered the image code and inputted your stats :)

Zorg
2013-12-13, 08:06 AM
http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=53&p2=57&p3=44&p4=66&p5=72&p6=57&p7=50&p8=23&p9=35&p10=33&p11=38&p12=55

Though I am very sceptical of the test given how hetero/cis normative it was.

Castaras
2013-12-13, 10:04 AM
Noticed the same as Zorg - although there is precedence for autistic people to be more traditionally male thinking than traditionally female thinking.

http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=66&p2=97&p3=77&p4=85&p5=66&p6=48&p7=79&p8=80&p9=69&p10=42&p11=54&p12=73

Your Aspie score: 144 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 57 of 200

"You are very likely an Aspie"

No.... really....

Serpentine
2013-12-13, 10:10 AM
Though I am very sceptical of the test given how hetero/cis normative it was.
Oh, it can't be that ba-
"Biological gender"
o.O

Th questions mostly seemed alright, though, except that one "opposite sex" one, unless I missed something. That ethnicity selection is a joke, but.

I'm all over the friggen place, apparently. 122 aspie/102 not.
http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=69&p2=66&p3=48&p4=62&p5=66&p6=43&p7=57&p8=61&p9=61&p10=38&p11=48&p12=78

Zorg
2013-12-13, 10:42 AM
Oh, it can't be that ba-
"Biological gender"
o.O

Th questions mostly seemed alright, though, except that one "opposite sex" one, unless I missed something.

Yup, those are the ones :smallsigh: I mean it's only two, but it's pretty significant - the gender I can sort of get - sort of - this is to do with thinking more than anything, and having options for trans people would clear any weird responses you get because of that. Also, yeah - do you mean opposite to my AAB gender or my current one..?

That ethnicity selection is a joke, but.

Yeah, I mean I'm basically a white Australian... as in can trace my family back to convict ancestors (that's a looooong way removed from Europe, guys), but anyone of mixed heritage is left out pretty hardcore.

Serpentine
2013-12-13, 11:14 AM
Was there even an Australian option? I didn't see it. I ended up putting UK cuz both sides of my family are from there eventually, but that's in one generation or seven depending on which way you go.
Plus the whole "American Indian" thing, and the bafflingly nonalphabetical order.

...but the actual questions overall and the results seem pretty interesting, anyway.

BladeofObliviom
2013-12-13, 11:19 AM
Frankly, I think it's more likely that they're taking the information in question for census data. I suppose, though, that we could try testing the same answer setup but changing around the ethnicity and gender options. You know, for science.

Jormengand
2013-12-13, 11:30 AM
Frankly, I think it's more likely that they're taking the information in question for census data. I suppose, though, that we could try testing the same answer setup but changing around the ethnicity and gender options. You know, for science.

I'm now going to do this.

FOR SCIENCE!!!!!!

EDIT: It doesn't seem to affect the result, so there we go.

Zorg
2013-12-13, 11:52 AM
Was there even an Australian option? I didn't see it. I ended up putting UK cuz both sides of my family are from there eventually.

Nope... though am I imagining things or have they added a separate country select independent from ethnicity? Really sure that wasn't there before... :smallconfused: Also they have Irish but not Scots in ethnicity (and ethnicity is still b0rked, I mean my niece is half Chinese, half white, what would she put?).

Thornonymous
2013-12-13, 03:43 PM
Okay, clarification on the data at the beginning: they're looking for biological data for the purpose of finding out who is from what heritage to see if there are any patterns to the appearance of the disorder. The biological gender is because males and females have very different symptomology for Asperger's. It doesn't modify anything, it's for corroboration of data.

Jormengand
2013-12-13, 03:44 PM
The biological gender

They mean biological sex, but don't know enough about, ironically, psychology to know that gender isn't sex.

Thornonymous
2013-12-13, 03:47 PM
Nope... though am I imagining things or have they added a separate country select independent from ethnicity? Really sure that wasn't there before... :smallconfused: Also they have Irish but not Scots in ethnicity (and ethnicity is still b0rked, I mean my niece is half Chinese, half white, what would she put?).

I believe in that case the best answer is other, or maybe to pick one, i guess. :smallconfused:

They mean biological sex, but don't know enough about, ironically, psychology to know that gender isn't sex.

I just emailed them and let them know. They may change it.

sktarq
2013-12-13, 04:30 PM
It gives you a hunk of code you can paste in that gives you a linked image.
I reverse-engineered the image code and inputted your stats :)

Thanx I was on a friends tablet-and I don't really use any touchscreen stuff normally.

Thornonymous
2013-12-13, 06:25 PM
I mailed the guy and he changed the test to biological sex :smallsmile:

Jormengand
2013-12-13, 06:31 PM
I mailed the guy and he changed the test to biological sex :smallsmile:

Well, there we go. Still slightly concerned that someone claiming to know anything about psychology wasn't aware of that in the first place.

Thornonymous
2013-12-13, 06:44 PM
Well, there we go. Still slightly concerned that someone claiming to know anything about psychology wasn't aware of that in the first place.

I think English may be a second language for him, many of his pages appear to be bilingual with Swedish.

Thornonymous
2013-12-13, 06:48 PM
I retook the quiz with after making a login and got slightly different results. I'll probably do this monthly or so, and watch for progress.
http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=92&p2=88&p3=78&p4=75&p5=64&p6=66&p7=85&p8=63&p9=82&p10=39&p11=85&p12=44

Miriel
2013-12-13, 07:20 PM
http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=90&p2=90&p3=85&p4=79&p5=62&p6=88&p7=76&p8=88&p9=56&p10=58&p11=59&p12=90

Your Aspie score: 154 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 41 of 200

Serpentine
2013-12-14, 02:38 AM
Okay, clarification on the data at the beginning: they're looking for biological data for the purpose of finding out who is from what heritage to see if there are any patterns to the appearance of the disorder. The biological gender is because males and females have very different symptomology for Asperger's. It doesn't modify anything, it's for corroboration of data.
Aside from the aforementioned fact that they mean sex, and the fact that there is no guarantee that an mtf transsexual will express the same symptoms as a cis man - that in fact the exact opposite is quite possible and data on that either way would be very interesting to have - the ethnicity question is a complete mess. Most of them are not "biological", it doesn't have Australia, it refers to native Americans as Indians, and the lack of any rational ordering is just painful.
Just in case you wanted to shoot 'em another helpful email :smallwink:

Teddy
2013-12-14, 07:05 AM
I think English may be a second language for him, many of his pages appear to be bilingual with Swedish.

This. Sex and gender translates to the same word in Swedish: "kön", and the difference between the two words isn't usually taught in our schools (I didn't learn it until I got on to these forums, at least). I suspect most Swedes will default to "gender" if unsure of any difference, mostly because of the word "sex" being what it is.

As for how cis-normative the quiz is, perhaps someone should mail him and suggest that he put in one more selection menu for gender identity and provide a list of suggested choices. He might be interested in seeing if the results somehow deviate for those who are transgender but didn't think to add it himself.

As for how hetero-normative the quiz is, I suspect that most of it is due to simple neglect, but at least part of it may be due to lack of better words. He would probably appreciate it if anyone would come up with a non-awkward wording which includes everyone. I know I can't, sadly...

Also, I took the quiz myself for curiosity's sake:
http://www.rdos.net/Aspie-quiz/poly12c.php?p1=83&p2=60&p3=42&p4=70&p5=23&p6=32&p7=40&p8=54&p9=48&p10=10&p11=60&p12=48

(Results in Swedish because I took it in Swedish, which, judging from the URLs, probably is the language it was originally designed in. I can give you the results in English as well, but meh, I like Swedish better.)

This is pretty much in line with what I've been suspecting myself, I have some asperger tendencies, especially toward a more high-functioning intellectual side, but probably wouldn't be diagnosed as such (even if you ignore the fact that a diagnosis only should be made if you actually suffer from your condition, which I don't).

I think I should probably do the quiz again for a more accurate answer, though. I'm honestly rather bad at figuring out where I actually stand when it comes to grading myself in some cases, because I can't figure where the mean is in relation to myself. The fact that I agreed fully with being good at filling out forms may be a bit stupid in hindsight, but it all depends on what type of forms we're talking about. If it's about entering data into fields, I can do it efficiently and for a long time. If it's rather about forms more like this one where I have to judge my own personality and interests, well...

Now, does anyone know or have some resource for what these cathegories actually represent? I mean, I consider myself highly verbal and generally good at communicating with people, but at the same time having a bit of a hard time socialising without quickly starting to feel left out and having trouble "forcing" myself back into the group, yet I managed to score higher on neurotypical socialising than communication. I'm also very curious to what hunting is supposed to represent, seeing how I apparently got a huge spike in it on the neurotypical side...

Also also, I did the quiz Juggling Goth posted and got a 35. Too bad they lack statistics on how many non-autism spectrum test-takers end up with a score of 32 or higher. Presumably less than 80% for the test to remain valid, but still...

Also also also, I did Serp's mental health quiz, and got specific phobia (trypanophobia, to be precise), tendencies toward social phobia (this is true, but it's a mild case), and Anorexia Nervosa (only because I answered that I'm less than 85% of my recommended body weight (on all but the BMI scale, which has a recommended spectrum and is a bit hard to figure out to apply). I'm just having a very active metabolism, meaning it's hard for me to gain weight even if I stuff myself until I get uncomfortably full). I did, however, skip a number of questions which definitely would've gotten me a bunch of interesting pseudo-diagnoses if I answered them truthfully, seeing how I went through a quite severe personal crisis this summer, but got myself into therapy to treat it, and consider myself fully healed from it. I should probably redo it for curiousity's sake... :smallwink:

(EDIT: Huh, no difference, apparently...)

Quizzes are fun! :smallbiggrin:

gurgleflep
2013-12-15, 03:06 AM
I saw the various web graphs with funny shapes on them and I wanted one too :smallbiggrin:
http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=54&p2=65&p3=43&p4=59&p5=48&p6=65&p7=56&p8=44&p9=32&p10=41&p11=39&p12=42
I don't know what it means, but it looks pretty cool!

Reality Glitch
2013-12-15, 12:07 PM
Your signature says to ask you about your goblins. What's that all about?

Thornonymous
2013-12-15, 03:58 PM
Noticed the same as Zorg - although there is precedence for autistic people to be more traditionally male thinking than traditionally female thinking.

Come to think of it, this may explain why my female friends with Asperger's are kinda tomboys. :smallconfused:

gurgleflep
2013-12-16, 01:38 AM
Your signature says to ask you about your goblins. What's that all about?

I make goblin avatars :smallsmile: I'm having some time constraints what-with the holidays and such. I should be picking up requests and such early next year :smallbiggrin:

Iruka
2013-12-17, 09:28 AM
http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=47&p2=80&p3=35&p4=46&p5=41&p6=46&p7=35&p8=61&p9=40&p10=34&p11=21&p12=39

Your Aspie score: 95 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 103 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Not much aspie stuff ... but I'm not sure how to interpret the axis ...

bluewind95
2013-12-17, 11:44 AM
I finally have my own chart too :smallbiggrin:

Your Aspie score: 136 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 67 of 200

http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=80&p2=45&p3=63&p4=81&p5=53&p6=82&p7=64&p8=76&p9=59&p10=42&p11=88&p12=86

I guess I got a moai.

I'm not entirely sure how to interpret the graph, though. I don't really know what those axes mean.

Lord Raziere
2013-12-17, 05:11 PM
well I guess (and this is really just guessing) that that Talent indicates how focused you are on your interests and how much you develop them.

Compulsive sort of indicates, I think, the amount of unconscious, particular behaviors and patterns you have, things of habit and such.

Social sort of indicates whether your more Aspie or more neurotypical in how you socialize- its less that Aspies are incapable, its that they do it in different ways.

Communication I guess is how good you are at communicating, or maybe whether your more neurotypical or aspie in how you communicate.

Hunting, I have no idea about.

but Perception I'm pretty sure is how different your perception is- if you can't stand a lot of loud noise, or wear sunglasses more often than most people, things like that, it probably indicates your senses are more sensitive than most, but there are hypo-sensitive cases...

sktarq
2013-12-17, 10:48 PM
bored so I tried again
http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=83&p2=58&p3=69&p4=82&p5=67&p6=50&p7=49&p8=68&p9=78&p10=21&p11=77&p12=40
hunting more balanced. They seemed extremely interested in my sex life this time. Far more than last time. Vagaries of of the question selection/pool mix I'm guessing. 130/200 and 80/200 this time so slightly more Aspie today but close to the 122 from last time.

Mina Kobold
2013-12-18, 09:12 AM
Tried it. Found it also a bit weird with a lot of questions (and again answered the technical truth on a lot of them)

Your Aspie score: 93 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 102 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits
http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=61&p2=44&p3=42&p4=80&p5=51&p6=54&p7=37&p8=40&p9=49&p10=30&p11=53&p12=62

I got a thingy! And apparently have bits of both Aspie and Neurotypical. Fascinating.

Also apparently good at hunting. I'm going to assume it means hunting for shinies, because I'm pretty good at that. :3

The Succubus
2013-12-18, 11:40 AM
Hmmm:

http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=63&p2=61&p3=50&p4=77&p5=59&p6=49&p7=54&p8=22&p9=33&p10=28&p11=57&p12=34

High Neurotypical score, fairly low Aspie score. Not sure what to make of it but I'm not going to obsess over it either. *shrug*

bluewind95
2013-12-18, 03:32 PM
I've been suspecting I COULD be on the autism spectrum for a long time now. The results I got do suggest there's something to my suspicions. So I downloaded the detailed results on a PDF and I'll be taking that to my therapist.

Juggling Goth
2013-12-19, 03:36 AM
The great thing about phoning in sick is that even if you were feeling guilty about it, the stress of explaining your humiliating mental health problems to a stranger on the telephone makes you properly crazy and then you don't feel guilty any more.

Teddy
2013-12-19, 05:52 PM
well I guess (and this is really just guessing) that that Talent indicates how focused you are on your interests and how much you develop them.

Compulsive sort of indicates, I think, the amount of unconscious, particular behaviors and patterns you have, things of habit and such.

Social sort of indicates whether your more Aspie or more neurotypical in how you socialize- its less that Aspies are incapable, its that they do it in different ways.

Communication I guess is how good you are at communicating, or maybe whether your more neurotypical or aspie in how you communicate.

Hunting, I have no idea about.

but Perception I'm pretty sure is how different your perception is- if you can't stand a lot of loud noise, or wear sunglasses more often than most people, things like that, it probably indicates your senses are more sensitive than most, but there are hypo-sensitive cases...

Hmm, I think hunting may in parts be sexual, romantical "hunting", but also in a more literal sense. I wouldn't be surprised if the question about traps factor into one of them, for example (fun fact: I loved to build pit traps as a kid. Before the age of 10, I could build an practically invisible and fully functional pit trap in the sandbox, given enough time to dig a sufficiently large hole (not always easy, because the sand usually turned into hard clay a pair of decimetres down)).

Also, the fact that you can score high in both sides at the same time indicate that they aren't mutually exclusive, at least not completely. And I'm still curious to examples of what each trait indicate... :smallhmm:

Speaking of something else, I found this quite interesting study (http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22029414.000-brain-stimulation-boosts-social-skills-in-autism.html) about a treatment to help people with Autism Spectrum empower their empathic abilities referenced from an article in my union's magazine a week or so ago.

Juggling Goth
2013-12-20, 04:03 AM
Maybe it's like 'seeking' in animal psychology/behaviourism - an active, pleasant anticipation/curiosity. It does seem a very odd word choice though. The question about building traps just baffled me. I mean, yes, I've always been interested in automata and Rube Goldberg machines, but I also like animals better than most people, so words like 'hunting' and 'traps' are kind of repulsive to me.

Miriel
2013-12-20, 11:15 AM
Actually, if you look at the complete report, it tells you which questions count towards which score.

GuesssWho
2013-12-24, 05:45 PM
Just noticed this thread and am chiming in.

I have dysthymia, Asperger's, Tourette's, low-grade anxiety and God knows what else.:smalleek: I spend most of my time in bed with a laptop. I still live with my folks.

On the other hand, I'm smart, I read a lot and I can come up with some brilliant comments on a good day.

ETA: I wasn't diagnosed until I was in high school. Which sucked.

Miriel
2014-01-03, 12:41 AM
Does anyone have tips on telling my parents about my Asperger's syndrome diagnosis? I was diagnosed about a year or two ago, and didn't tell them about the process (or even about my suspicions), but I'm trying to open up to them, and I think it could be useful for them to know this. They seem to think, for some reason, that whatever problems I have are the result of bullying (about which I told them recently), and it would be useful to correct them.

Reality Glitch
2014-01-03, 12:43 AM
Show them this thread and make sure they read through the whole thing.

Plus, How do they not know, aren't parents the ones who get you diagnosed?

Mina Kobold
2014-01-03, 06:12 AM
Show them this thread and make sure they read through the whole thing.

Plus, How do they not know, aren't parents the ones who get you diagnosed?

If you're under a certain age, they usually need to be involved, but the only ones needed for an adult to be diagnosed are the adult herself and a professional with the credentials to diagnose it. Occasionally, parents won't notice or won't know that their child could be neuroatypical, so they won't think of it.

Mine actually only got me diagnosed because a friend (who is a doctor) of my mum asked if they had considered it, they had no idea Asperger's Syndrome even existed prior to that.

Serpentine
2014-01-03, 11:47 AM
My mother's a doctor who thought I had it (previously thought I had OCD), and I still never got taken to be diagnosed...