PDA

View Full Version : Looking for auto-hit spells

FireJustice
2013-09-09, 03:54 PM
Hi, i'm looking for Spells (any level, but up to 4th is better) that auto-hit (no attack roll, no saving throw, may allow SR) a target

Yeah, Magic missile is the best example. But is negated with Shield....

Svata
2013-09-09, 04:03 PM
Do they have to be damage-dealing spells? If not, Grease.

Galvin
2013-09-09, 04:06 PM
The Force Missiles spell is a 3rd level upgraded version of Magic Missile, not sure if it's negated by shield.

The Orb spells are 4th level and don't allow for SR, though they allow a save against the secondary effects, and touch attack much be landed.

Lightning Bolt and Fireball auto-hit, though allow for a save for half damage.

True Strike turns any given spell into an effective auto-hit.

CTrees
2013-09-09, 04:22 PM
Maw of Chaos is an old favorite. Ninth level, but 1d6/lvl force damage, per round, area of effect, no damage cap. No save, no attack roll, SR yes. Also dazing (will save) and distracting (no save, just forced concentration checks). Just straight nasty.

Holy Word is seventh level, no save, with effects up to "Killed, paralyzed, blinded, deafened." Boost your CL, and annihilate everything that's not good (warn your part members...).

Grod_The_Giant
2013-09-09, 04:26 PM
True Strike pretty much turns your next attack into an auto-hit, and True Casting (CM, 1st level sorcerer/wizard divination) pretty much lets you ignore SR on your next roll. Combine them with your chosen spell via Arcane Fusion (and Heighten Spell, if necessary) and rock out.

tyckspoon
2013-09-09, 04:31 PM
Hail of Stone is the standard here, I think - No Save, No SR, Area-of-effect so things that protect against targeted/aimed effects don't help, untyped damage. Main downside is 1 Round cast time, which means you basically *have* to apply Rapid Spell or something similar to make it useful. Also it's only level 1, so it does pretty pitiful damage (on the upside, it's only level 1, so ladle on metamagics until it does what you need.)

Story
2013-09-09, 04:42 PM
Hail of Stone is the standard here, I think - No Save, No SR, Area-of-effect so things that protect against targeted/aimed effects don't help, untyped damage. Main downside is 1 Round cast time, which means you basically *have* to apply Rapid Spell or something similar to make it useful. Also it's only level 1, so it does pretty pitiful damage (on the upside, it's only level 1, so ladle on metamagics until it does what you need.)

Don't forget that it also works in AMFs.

Starbuck_II
2013-09-09, 04:44 PM
Hi, i'm looking for Spells (any level, but up to 4th is better) that auto-hit (no attack roll, no saving throw, may allow SR) a target

Yeah, Magic missile is the best example. But is negated with Shield....

Snake Darts! Wu Jen style casting: there is a save for a secondary effect (Con poison), but none for damage.

Zanos
2013-09-09, 04:44 PM
The Force Missiles spell is a 3rd level upgraded version of Magic Missile, not sure if it's negated by shield.

Is force missiles 1 missile per 4 caster levels, or 1 base + 1 per four caster levels?

Cerlis
2013-09-09, 04:46 PM
Coat of Arms (complete mage) 5th lvl spell. creates 1 blade per 3 levels up to 6 blades at 18. Each blade gives you a +1 shield bonus (up to +6 at 18) reduced when you launch a blade.

You can launch a blade as a move action (so can be fired in same rounds you cast a spell) that strikes without an attack roll at any target within 30 feet.

each blades does 2d6 dmg.

There is the added benefit that if anyone tries to grapple you, they are automatically hit by all blades left.

Since they are force effects, spell resistance applies, but it can strike incorporeal creatures.

holywhippet
2013-09-09, 04:51 PM
True strike does have the small catch of failing 5% of the time. If you roll a 1 for your attack roll the attack automatically fails.

Explosive runes can't be avoided by anyone close enough to read them (reflex save for anyone merely within range of the explosion).

Most sonic type spells can't miss and always do damage. Sound Burst allows a save to avoid stunning while Shout allows a fortitude save for half damage (so evasion won't help) and a reflex save to avoid damage from items being held from doing damage if they shatter.

lsfreak
2013-09-09, 05:22 PM
Presumably you're wanting damaging ones.

Hail of Stone (SpC), 1st level, 5ft radius cylinder, no save, attack, OR SR, is the one I know of off the top of my head. But it takes an entire round to cast.

Taking a look here (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndLive/FindSpell.php), in terms of ones that don't look completely terrible, there's:
Chain Missiles (3rd, SpC), one missile hits primary target per 2CL and each hits a secondary target (but only one missile per target)
Force Missiles (4th, SpC) is a 2d6 missile every 4CL, deals half damage to adjacent targets
Ice Storm (4th, 3rd for warmage, SRD) deals 3d6 bludgeoning/2d6cold in 20-foot-radius cylinder to any targets for a full round.
Inevitable Defeat (3rd, PHB2) deals 3d6 nonlethal no save, then 3d6 nonlethal a round with Will ending the spell
Legion of Sentinels (3rd, PHB2) fills a 10-foot-radius area with guys that can make AoO's, so it requires attacks though you're not the one making them
Mark of Doom (3rd, cleric, PHB2) target takes 1d6 for every offensive spell or ability, and for every attack
The infamous Power Word Pain (1st, RotD)
Wall of Fire (4th, SRD) offers no save, same with Wall of Coldfire (Frostburn)

There's also some I know my search didn't pick up because I just went with "No Save" spells, like Freezing Fog offers no save on the damage portion.

Piggy Knowles
2013-09-09, 05:29 PM
It doesn't attack a single target, but I'm always a big fan of Kelgore's Grave Mist. Decent area, lasts a round/level, deals cold damage and fatigues every round all for no save on a second level spell. Even better, the cold damage happens even if the enemy has SR.

Great on its own for several levels, and stays good until quite late in the game when you add on metamagic.

HunterOfJello
2013-09-09, 05:34 PM
Sonic Snap from the SpC is a great spell for this sort of thing. It's a cantrip that automatically does 1 sonic damage. It sounds bad at first, but once you realize that you can use Born of Three Thunders or Fell Drain metamagic on it, then suddenly it's a much more impressive spell.

The penultimate spell for this is Forcecage. It's an 8th level spell, but it traps someone in a cage of force for 2 hours/level with no save, no SR, and it doesn't require any sort of attack roll. The only downside is the 1500gp material component, but it's worth it for the right situation.

Rubik
2013-09-09, 05:37 PM
The Swarm of Crystals (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/swarmofCrystals.htm) power deals automatic slashing damage to anyone in the area of effect. It's not a whole lot of damage, and you have to be close, but it's guaranteed. The only way to avoid taking damage is to be immune to slashing, which you hardly ever see. I took out an epic level BBEG at level 16 while nova'ing with this one.

lsfreak
2013-09-09, 06:08 PM
The penultimate spell for this is Forcecage.

Penultimate means second-from-last. Unless there's a meaning I don't know about. But at a guess, there's some semantic confusion between ultimate, penultimate and pinnacle. Propreantepenultimate is the most awesome example of prefix-stacking ever.

Emperor Tippy
2013-09-09, 06:54 PM
Penultimate means second-from-last. Unless there's a meaning I don't know about. But at a guess, there's some semantic confusion between ultimate, penultimate and pinnacle. Propreantepenultimate is the most awesome example of prefix-stacking ever.

Prismatic Sphere is the ultimate.

Time Stop + Moving next to the enemy + Prismatic Sphere + Gate (Solar) + Permanency (order the solar).

Rubik
2013-09-09, 07:00 PM
Heya Tippy. Long time no see. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285801)

HunterOfJello
2013-09-09, 07:08 PM
[COLOR="Gray"]Penultimate means second-from-last. Unless there's a meaning I don't know about.

Exactly. The ultimate would be the prismatic sphere you cast in the same area as the forcecage.

Chronos
2013-09-09, 07:26 PM
Web allows a save, but the save makes very little difference on most targets (you're still entangled, and unless you're really strong, you probably still can't move).

Reverse Gravity allows a save only if there's something close by the target can grab hold of.

Neither of them allows SR or requires an attack roll.