PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 PrC] Master Blaster (please PEACH)

Southern Cross
2013-09-09, 04:40 PM
Introduction: Evocation is widely considered the worst of all arcane schools. Despite this, many prestige classes improve the effectiveness of other arcane schools (The abjurant champion, incantatrix and initiate of the seven veils PrCs are best for abjurers) but the only evocation-based PrCs I've seen actually limit the caster (Holy scourge actually costs a level of spellcasting, while elemental savant limits the caster to one energy type).
So, as compensation, here is the master blaster prestige class!

Hit die
d4.

Requirements
To qualify to become a master blaster, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.

Skills
Knowledge (arcana) 8, Spellcraft 8.

Feats
Lightning Reflexes and at least one metamagic feat.

Spellcasting
Ability to cast 2nd-level arcane spells. Must also be able to cast at least one evocation spell per spell level, not just to gain the class, but also to advance in it. (Thus, if adapting to Pathfinder, advancing in this class gives you the class's bonus spells, provided they are evocation spells).

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
Spells

1st
+0

+0

+0

+2
Improved Targeting, Spontaneous Evocations
+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd
+1

+0
+0

+3Modify Evocations

3rd
+1

+1
+1

+3Precise Targeting

4th
+2

+1
+1

+4
Preferred Metamagic / Focused Evocations

5th
+2

+1
+1

+4Improved Damage Cap

Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level): Bluff, Concentration, Decipher Script, Intimidate, Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Profession, Search, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Spot

Class Features
All of the following are Class Features of the master blaster prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Master blasters gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spellcasting
At every level, a master blaster gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class to which she belonged before she added the prestige class level. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If she had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a master blaster, she must decide to which class she adds each level for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known.

Spontaneous Evocations (Ex)
A master blaster can channel stored spell energy into evocation spells that the master blaster did not prepare ahead of time. The master blaster can “lose” any prepared spell that is not a domain spell in order to cast any evocation spell of the same spell level that is in his/her spellbook, memorized with Spell Mastery, or list of spells known. Spellcasters that already cast spontaneously can add metamagic feats to evocation spells without increasing casting time.

Improved Targeting (Ex)
Starting at 1st level, a master blaster adds her levels of this prestige class to her Reflex saving throw DCs.

Modify Evocations (Ex)
Starting at 2nd level, a master blaster may apply the Modify Spell feat from Arcana Unearthed/Evolved to any evocation spell in her spellbook or prepared with the Spell Mastery feat. (Even if no evocation spells have been prepared, the master blaster can sacrifice two spell slots of that level to cast the modified spell).

Precise Targeting (Ex)
At 3rd-level, a master blaster can ignore the evasion class feature of certain classes when casting evocation spells. If the target has improved evasion, it is reduced to standard evasion.

Preferred Metamagic / Focused Evocations (Ex)
Starting at 4th level, a master blaster has one of her metamagic feats given a permanent -1 level adjustment ( to a minimum of +0). Alternatively, a master blaster with two or more metamagic feats can instead apply the same -1 level adjustment to any evocation spell, as long as it has one or more metamagic feats applied to it.
The master blaster must choose between the two options upon gaining the fourth level in in this prestige class, and cannot change it once an option has been selected.

Improved Damage Cap(Ex)
At 5th level, a master blaster's damage cap is raised by five. (Thus fireball would have a maximum damage of 15d6, instead of the standard max of 10d6). Unlike the equivalent Pathfinder feat, this does not raise the spell level, and is compatible with the improved damage function of the Modify Evocation class feature, so a master blaster could do up to 22 and a half d6 of damage with a modified fireball.

sengmeng
2013-09-09, 05:58 PM
Spontaneous Evocation could be worded better (i.e., word for word identical to spontaneous cure or inflict casting of clerics but change the relevant spell descriptors).

I think the Archmage actually has the best support for blasters, with sculpt spell so you don't kill your friends, energy substitution so you hit things with what they're vulnerable against, etc.

What you have here, well, the Improved Targeting is clearly the best ability and it's REALLY scarily good. Not willing to declare it completely overpowered, but dang (although, since wizards are overpowered to begin with, what does it matter?).

Upping the damage is ok, but that's not how blasters fall behind anyway.

The most glaring problem is that this class is best for NON-evokers. You can still have all the versatility of any other wizard, then "oh yeah, plan B is blow up the world."

Southern Cross
2013-09-10, 12:49 AM
Thanks, sengmeng! This is my first prestige class, so your input is most helpful.
As for the Precise Targeting class ability, I do not like evasion. I think it is an overpowered ability that needs a counter, especially for blaster wizards. Also note that it's only a partial counter, as a character with improved evasion still gets the benefit of normal evasion.
I've also been considering your statements about the class itself. I never intended for it to be an evokers-only class, but rather a class to make blasting more useful. What would you recommend to make the class more evoker friendly?

D-naras
2013-09-10, 03:36 AM
This is neat prestige class, short and ellegant. Well done! :smallbiggrin: Here's my 2 cents.

With a literal reading of Spontaneous Evocation, you may cast any evocation of the same level, even if it's not a known spell. I don't think that is the intent here. Better word it so:

Spontaneous Evocations (Ex)
A master blaster can channel stored spell energy into evocation spells that the master blaster did not prepare ahead of time. The master blaster can “lose” any prepared spell that is not a domain spell in order to cast any evocation spell of the same spell level that is in his/her spellbook or list of spells known.

Improved Targeting is cool and strong but it currently works with all spells, not just blasting spells. How about changing it to only work on evocations?

bekeleven
2013-09-10, 07:35 AM
All this love for wizards!

Requiring knowledge nature, which sorcs don't get as a class skill - means they can't enter until 13th level unless they multiclass.

Requiring multiple skills 8 ranks in the first place - to punish the 2+int skill points on a non-int-based caster.

Requiring 3rd level spells - so they can't enter until level 6 even if skills weren't an issue.

Granting the ability to spontaneously cast evocations - self explanatory, I hope.

My suggestions:

Drop knowledge nature. The class doesn't really fit it anyway.
Require 2nd level spellcasting. The skill ranks still limit entry to 5th level.
Along with the spontaneous casting class feature, add a second feature. Specify that spellcasters that already cast spontaneously can add metamagic feats to evocation spells without increasing cast time.

Bam, it's a sorcerer prestige class too! I always thought sorcs were more fun as blasters to begin with.

Southern Cross
2013-09-10, 11:59 PM
Thanks D-Naras! Yes the idea was indeed to give wizards more flexibility in blasting, not to grant them any evocation spell they want.
And thanks for the suggestion on limiting Precise Targeting! That class feature was intended to help evokers, not conjurers (the various orb spells are all conjuration spells! :smallfurious:)

Southern Cross
2013-09-11, 04:59 PM
And thanks bekeleven for the suggestions. I have already incorporated them into the class.

Southern Cross
2014-04-01, 03:12 AM
Extra Preferred Metamagic
You have studied metamagic extremely extensively, to the point metamagic feats are easier for you to cast.
Prerequisites: Two or more metamagic feats, Four levels of the Master Blaster Prestige Class
Benefits: A master blaster with this feat has the level reduction from Preferred Metamagic apply to a second metamagic feat.