PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Feat and magic item advice for a Fighter (Archer)

Kuroshima
2013-09-09, 05:06 PM
Hello everyone. After a long journey into other RPGs (I've been a GURPSoid for more than 12 years) I recently joined a Pathfinder game, and I'm feeling a little out of my depth. I'm playing an Archer archetype Fighter, and while I believe that I got everything covered, I wonder if I'm missing anything important:

Rules: SRD materials only. Non SRD OGL materials by Paizo are frowned upon, but I might be able to convince the GM (though it's not very likely). 3rd party materials are out.

The GM is a traditionalist, so I rolled stats, using the dice pool system, and got the following:

Str: 18
Dex: 17
Con: 16
Int: 9
Wis: 12
Cha: 13

I picked human because I like playing humans, and well, they are always a solid choice. Got a racial +2 to DX, and used my leveling points for another +3, for a total of 22 before magical enhancement.

I'm joining an established game, and they told me to start at level 12. I'm also allowed to pick 3 traits instead of 2.

Traits:
Highlander (+1 Stealth, Stealth is a class skill)
Seeker (+1 Perception, Perception is a class skill)
Birthmark (+2 to saves against Charm and Compulsion)

The reason for the Highlander and Seeker traits is that we're lacking rogues and rangers, so I get to be the one who scouts and reports back.

Skills:
I took a skill point for favored class every level. My HP isn't stellar, but I think I can survive, and again, while as a fighter skills should not be my focus, I like having something to do out of combat

Climb: 1 (rank)+3 (Class Skill Bonus)+4 (Stat)=8
Linguistics: 1 (rank)-1 (Stat)=0
Perception: 12 (rank)+3 (Class Skill Bonus)+1 (Stat)+1 (Trait)+3 (Class feature)+3 (item)=23
Ride: 1 (rank)+3 (Class Skill Bonus)+8 (Stat)=12
Stealth: 12 (rank)+3 (Class Skill Bonus)+8 (Stat)=24
Survival: 8 (rank)+3 (Class Skill Bonus)+1 (Stat)=12
Swim: 1 (rank)+3 (Class Skill Bonus)+4 (Stat)=8

Linguistics is required or I won't know the language of the locale we're in.

Feats:

Precise Shot, Point-Blank Shot, Rapid Shot
Weapon Focus
Combat Reflexes
Weapon Specialization
Deadly Aim
Manyshot
Clustered Shots
Greater Weapon Focus
Snap Shot
Improved Snap Shot
Improved Precise Shot
Greater Weapon Specialization

Feats under consideration for future levels:

Greater Snap Shot
Impact Critical Shot
Improved Initiative
Far Shot
Hammer the Gap
Quick Draw
Toughness
Iron Will
Improved Iron Will

Class Feature: I can Disarm, Sunder and Trip with my arrows, with a -4 to CMB. Count have picked Bull Rush or Grapple instead of Trip though, and I can still change that.

Items:

Belt of Incredible Dexterity (+4)
Bracers of Falcon’s Aim
Quilted Armor (+3 enhancement)
Amulet of Natural Armor (+2)
Cloak of Resistance (+3)
Quiver of abundant ammunition (the GM makes this cheap because he doesn't want players to track mundane arrows)
Composite Longbow for my strength (+3 enhancement)
Ring Of Protection +2
Quick Runner's Shirt
Sandals Of Quick Reaction
Gloves Of Dueling (house rulled to work with my archetype)
2 CLW potions

Rest of WBL contributed for healing items since we have no cleric nor oracle, and so the bard and sorcerer will have to manage with items and UMD. If I'm missing anything important, please point it to me, though I'll have to manage to buy it retail now, and it might not be easy to find.

Considerations: Why am I not playing a rogue (sniper) or ranger? Because I don't want to deal with the hassle of spellcasting (ranger) nor with the sneak attack rules. Also, the character backstory is that of a roof rat turned adventurer (Highlander is being reskinned to Slum Rat, does the same, but provides the stealth bonus in urban environments). I might drop the archetype, but it seems like a very good fit for what I'm looking for, though my AC is very low (26) because this archetype lacks Armor Training, and so I'm restricted to +1 AC armors that will not cap my DX. I'm considering dropping the enhancement bonus and giving it light fortification.

Any ideas on how to improve this design, and what to take in the future?