PDA

View Full Version : Mundanes are allowed to have nice things! [3.5 feats, PEACH]

qwertyu63
2013-09-09, 05:39 PM
This is a set of 6 feats intended to give mundane characters nice things.
------------------------------------------
Your non-caster level is your total number of levels in classes that don't have magical abilities higher than level 4 spells or equivalent.
------------------------------------------
Flying Leap
Prereqs: Jump 6 ranks, non-caster level 5
Benefit: Once per day per point of Str modifier you have, you may make a special Jump check with a DC of 18. Success on this check grants you a jump speed equal to your base land speed for 5 minutes.
Special: A fighter may select Flying Leap as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Jump speed explained:
Jump Speed: As a move action you may jump up to your jump speed in any direction. As a double move action you may jump up to 2x your jump speed. The PC may also take the run action while jumping which is base speed x4 (x5 with run feat). Unlike most jumping, this does not require a running start. You may choose to jump less then the full distance allowed to you, if you wish.

You can make these jumps off of any surface (walls, floors, ceilings, trees, other creatures up there, etc). As a full round action, you may jump up to your jump speed in any direction without any support at all, but you take 1d6 point of non-lethal damage for doing this.

Furthermore, if you are in freefall, you may choose to fall half the speed you would fall. Making this choice is a free action, and lasts until you hit the ground or jump again. This slowdown, in addition to slowing your fall to control your location, cuts any falling damage you would take from that fall in half.

This overrides the normal rules for jumping.
Sudden Move:
Prereqs: Tumble 4 ranks, non-caster level 7
Benefit: Once per day per point of Dex modifier you have, you may, as a standard action, make a special Tumble check with a DC of 16. Success on this check allows you to teleport up to 50'.
Special: A fighter may select Sudden Move as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Locked Mind:
Prereqs: Concentration 8 ranks, non-caster level 15
Benefit: Once per day per point of Con modifier you have, you may, as a standard action, make a special Concentration check with a DC of 20. Success on this check grants you the effects of a Mind Blank spell for one hour.
Special: A fighter may select Locked Mind as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Stop Magic:
Prereqs: Spellcraft 3 ranks, non-caster level 5
Benefit: Once per day per point of Int modifier you have, you may make a special Spellcraft check with a DC of 15. Success on this check allows you to attempt to counter a spell (as per Dispel Magic, Counterspell effect) with a caster level equal to your non-caster level. You can make this check as an immediate action.
Special: A fighter may select Stop Magic as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Clear Eyes:
Prereqs: Spot 6 ranks, non-caster level 11
Benefit: Once per day per point of Wis modifier you have, you may, as a standard action, make a special Spot check with a DC of 18. Success on this check grants you the effects of a True Seeing spell for 5 minutes.
Special: A fighter may select Clear Eyes as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Shadow Fade:
Prereqs: Disguise 2 ranks, non-caster level 3
Benefit: Once per day per point of Cha modifier you have, you may, as a standard action, make a special Disguise check with a DC of 14. Success on this check grants you a 20% miss chance for 3 minutes.
Special: A fighter may select Shadow Fade as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Hamste
2013-09-09, 05:49 PM
Locked mind is the one with the biggest problem. A non-caster doesn't normally invest in concentration and almost every mundane does not have it on their class list making it a huge investment to get the feat even if it is pretty nice.

qwertyu63
2013-09-09, 05:59 PM
Locked mind is the one with the biggest problem. A non-caster doesn't normally invest in concentration and almost every mundane does not have it on their class list making it a huge investment to get the feat even if it is pretty nice.

The skill requirements are calculated assuming a pure fighter is taking them. The number of required ranks therefore assume cross-class ranks for most of these. I do realize the investment is huge, requiring a ton of skill points. But that is intended for the effect you are getting.

Amechra
2013-09-09, 06:21 PM
What is the action to use these feats? And why even bother with skill DCs, if they are going to be so low?

qwertyu63
2013-09-09, 06:23 PM
What is the action to use these feats? And why even bother with skill DCs, if they are going to be so low?

:smallredface: It's supposed to be a standard action for all of them except for Stop Magic. Noting.

The DC are rather random. They are 12+the ranks requirement to take the feat. You think I should increase them?

Amechra
2013-09-09, 08:17 PM
I think you don't need them at all, when you get down to it.

Perseus
2013-09-10, 05:49 AM
Why not have flying leap just give you a new movement mode.

Jump Speed: As a move action you may jump up to your base speed in an direction. As a double move action you may jump up to 2x your base speed. The PC may also take the run action while jumping which is base speed x4 (x5 with run feat).

Anytime you make a controlled fall you don't take damage from the fall for falling a number of feat equal to 2x your base speed.

This overides the normal rules for jump.

A PC with this feat and a base speed of 20 (dwarven fighter) can now jump horizontally or vertically 20 to 40 feet each round if they take a move or double move action. During a fall the first 40 feet doesn't count against the PC in regards to damage.

Give me a spear and some mithril full plate please! Also you can at whatever level have this gain the double jump.

Fly speed on a Ex character is a bit weird unless they have winds or another natural way of flying.

The Oni
2013-09-19, 05:22 PM
I concur. Straight flying with no explanation is bad for non-casters, however, I love the idea of an Ex Fighter who, in lieu of flying, jumps like The Hulk.

The rest of these seem fine.

Debihuman
2013-09-20, 04:31 AM
Leap of Heaven (from DMG 2) should be a prerequisite for Flying Leap.

Debby

Perseus
2013-09-20, 05:19 AM
Also I don't think mundanes should get nice things, commoners are commoners.

However Extraordinary classes (Fighter, Barbarian, Rogue, etc...) should get nice things, people need to start thinking that mundane does not equal extraordinary.

Example

Guys that fight in Fight Club are just mundane people beating the crap out of each other.

The people in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon are extraordinary.

Oh... Shameless plug for my Ex class The Warrior (Juggernaut), next up is my Warrior (Savage).

qwertyu63
2013-09-20, 06:36 AM
Oh right, I posted a thread here. Well, time to catch up.

Why not have flying leap just give you a new movement mode.

Jump Speed: As a move action you may jump up to your base speed in an direction. As a double move action you may jump up to 2x your base speed. The PC may also take the run action while jumping which is base speed x4 (x5 with run feat).

Anytime you make a controlled fall you don't take damage from the fall for falling a number of feat equal to 2x your base speed.

This overides the normal rules for jump.

A PC with this feat and a base speed of 20 (dwarven fighter) can now jump horizontally or vertically 20 to 40 feet each round if they take a move or double move action. During a fall the first 40 feet doesn't count against the PC in regards to damage.

Give me a spear and some mithril full plate please! Also you can at whatever level have this gain the double jump.

Fly speed on a Ex character is a bit weird unless they have winds or another natural way of flying.

Alright, the idea of jumping to your foes is neat. I'm going to grab this post and do some editing.

Skipping Lord Smeagle, as they were just agreeing with the prior post.

Leap of Heaven (from DMG 2) should be a prerequisite for Flying Leap.

Debby

I don't want any feat prereqs here, so...

And skipping Perseus, as he is just commenting on the name of the thread.

Perseus
2013-09-20, 07:27 AM
Oh right, I posted a thread here. Well, time to catch up.

Alright, the idea of jumping to your foes is neat. I'm going to grab this post and do some editing.

Skipping Lord Smeagle, as they were just agreeing with the prior post.

I don't want any feat prereqs here, so...

And skipping Perseus, as he is just commenting on the name of the thread.

My Warrior (Savage) will have a jump movement mode. I'm interested in seeing how it stacks up to your feat.

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-09-20, 09:10 AM
Prerequisites for the feats need to be clarified. As is, a Paladin or Assassin or similar class can't take them because of their minor spellcasting.

qwertyu63
2013-09-20, 09:19 AM
Prerequisites for the feats need to be clarified. As is, a Paladin or Assassin or similar class can't take them because of their minor spellcasting.

Assassin levels don't count. Paladin levels 1-3 do count, but the rest don't. This is as intended.

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-09-20, 03:56 PM
Maybe so, but why? Why would a Monk's or a Swordsage's or a Dragonfire Adept's or a Truenamer's levels count but not a Paladin's or an Assassin's? The paladin and the assassin are way less supernatural than the Swordsage or the Truenamer.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-09-20, 04:05 PM

Some might disagree (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGq6FXcpxtY) :smallwink:

RE: the requirements--it seems like there ought to be a better way to give these abilities out and restrict them. Maybe work on making specialized class feats?

Or...here's another idea. You could call these "Martial Feats" or some such thing, and give them all a unifying rule: each one removes your current highest spell slot, if you have any.

Wha-bam, casters don't want to take it, and mundanes don't care. Put a level requirement on it, and you're solid.

Belial: I'm assuming that the criteria for "non-caster level" is "a level where you gain a spell slot".

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-09-20, 04:16 PM
Yeah, and the truenamer, dragonfire adept, swordsage, binder and warlock are all non-casters as they never cast spells or have spell slots. And since they are way more supernatural than the paladin or assassin, I am pointing out that the "non-caster" restriction is kinda flawed IMHO.

A better restriction would be a level requirement in classes that give full BAB.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-09-20, 04:43 PM
A better restriction would be a level requirement in classes that give full BAB.
I knew there had to be something that identified the non-casters better. Are there any major ones that fail the BAB test? (I mean--BAB requirements are already a thing on existing feats. You could even say something like "X level and +X BAB", and it'd work just fine.)

Zaydos
2013-09-20, 04:49 PM
I knew there had to be something that identified the non-casters better. Are there any major ones that fail the BAB test? (I mean--BAB requirements are already a thing on existing feats. You could even say something like "X level and +X BAB", and it'd work just fine.)

Rogue.

Monk :smallsigh:.

That's PHB and I don't feel like going through source books atm.

qwertyu63
2013-09-20, 04:59 PM
Yeah, and the truenamer, dragonfire adept, swordsage, binder and warlock are all non-casters as they never cast spells or have spell slots. And since they are way more supernatural than the paladin or assassin, I am pointing out that the "non-caster" restriction is kinda flawed IMHO.

I haven't been able to think of a better requirement yet, but BAB doesn't work because...

Rogue.

This. I had two classes in mind when making these. Fighter and Monk.

paddyfool
2013-09-20, 05:02 PM
Rogue.

And in the other direction there's an issue with classes like the Mystic Ranger which have full BAB and fairly extensive spellcasting.

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-09-20, 06:40 PM
Then make all levels in any class that doesn't have higher than lvl 4 magical abilities count. That would include the paladin, the ranger, the assassin and the monk but would exclude invocation-users, spellcasters, swordsages, truenamers and any class who has other high-level magical powers.

qwertyu63
2013-09-20, 06:59 PM
Then make all levels in any class that doesn't have higher than lvl 4 magical abilities count. That would include the paladin, the ranger, the assassin and the monk but would exclude invocation-users, spellcasters, swordsages, truenamers and any class who has other high-level magical powers.

Alright... Doing that.