PDA

View Full Version : Warforged Arcane Rogue? How to?

unseenmage
2013-09-09, 08:47 PM
Looking to build a Warforged Rogue level 7 for an Eberron Campaign.
Eberron books encouraged, no Magazines, no 3rd party, no homebrew, 3.5 only.

Thing is I'd like the guy to be able to be Arcane as well. I like the idea of a Warforged sneak who's also interested in his arcane roots. I envision him somehoe using Animated Object chains to accomplish tasks.
Base stats 18,15,13,12,11,10,8

Thoughts Playground?

CyberThread
2013-09-09, 08:57 PM
you are either gonna want the beguiler ( would not suggest it for your backstory an race choice), or the unseen seer.

The unseen seer has a modest increase of sneak attack , large skill points , d4 health pool , full casting . Gives you more of a rogue that cast some magic.

The other half of choice you could go, is more shadow magic base, and look up prc's that have inbuilt casting, like assassin or shadow pouncer.

Overall though, I would suggest unseen seer and arcane trickster.

Urpriest
2013-09-09, 09:01 PM
Basically, the question becomes: do you want to cast spells, or merely to use magic items? There are a lot of ways to make a spellcaster with a rogue-like feel, and a few to make a rogue who gains some benefit from using magic items.

avr
2013-09-09, 09:03 PM
Does an artificer count as arcane to you? It doesn't get ASF which is handy for a warforged, but it definitely has an arcane feel. If you can pull it off, scouting to find out what you're facing, retreating & buffing with infusions, then returning to deal with your enemies is fairly effective. Rogue 3 / Artificer 4 could get a homunculus if you want to animate stuff.

Beguiler is a sneaky arcane caster without any need for multiclassing.

Alternately, any rogue who gets UMD and maybe a point or two in spellcraft could be said to be a 'sneak who's also interested in his arcane roots'.

unseenmage
2013-09-09, 09:09 PM
Basically, the question becomes: do you want to cast spells, or merely to use magic items? There are a lot of ways to make a spellcaster with a rogue-like feel, and a few to make a rogue who gains some benefit from using magic items.

You've hit the nail on the head.

I'm looking for a Rogue who benefit's from magic more than a spellcaster who sneaks.

Does an artificer count as arcane to you? It doesn't get ASF which is handy for a warforged, but it definitely has an arcane feel. If you can pull it off, scouting to find out what you're facing, retreating & buffing with infusions, then returning to deal with your enemies is fairly effective. Rogue 3 / Artificer 4 could get a homunculus if you want to animate stuff.

Beguiler is a sneaky arcane caster without any need for multiclassing.

Alternately, any rogue who gets UMD and maybe a point or two in spellcraft could be said to be a 'sneak who's also interested in his arcane roots'.

I currently have an Artificer in another game so that one's a no-go.

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-09, 09:09 PM
I would go for a spellthief / wizard / unseen seer. There is a warforged only feat that lets you power wands with your spell slots. Use that to expand your spell selection with utility spells.

Spellthief will let you take master spellthief and keep your plating. Wizard makes for a good base for spells.

Urpriest
2013-09-09, 09:19 PM
Spelltheif, especially with the Trickster variant, fits this concept relatively well, though that would involve adding casting. Assassin would be similar.

Factotum gives you some SLAs while giving you a superior, Roguey base.

Psychic Rogue is pretty well-regarded, and there are Psiforged out there.

Cannith Wand Adept might be interesting.

Waker
2013-09-09, 09:29 PM
Heretical I know, but why not just go straight Spellthief?

unseenmage
2013-09-09, 09:32 PM
Spelltheif, especially with the Trickster variant, fits this concept relatively well, though that would involve adding casting. Assassin would be similar.

Factotum gives you some SLAs while giving you a superior, Roguey base.

Psychic Rogue is pretty well-regarded, and there are Psiforged out there.

Cannith Wand Adept might be interesting.

Well crud, looks like there isn't a way to do this without just being a caster, artificer, or psion. Guess I'll just go Rogue, max out UMD, and buy Wands.

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!