PDA

View Full Version : I got bored and found something to make a trip build fun

CyberThread
2013-09-09, 11:23 PM
Making an Example (Ex): At 5th level, any time you deal enough damage with a melee attack to drop a creature (typically by dropping it to less than 0 hit points or killing it), all foes within 30 feet of the enemy must succeed on a Will save (DC 15 + your Cha modifier) or cower until the start of their next turn. If the blow that dropped the creature was a critical hit, add +4 to the save DC. This is a mind-affecting fear effect.

Level 5 Meanacing Brute, anytime you trip and force someone to fall on their feet and drop on their bum or drop face first to the ground, you can make fear checks all around...

Blueiji
2013-09-09, 11:38 PM
When this ability refers to the phrase "drop", it means incapacitate or kill, not literally "drop to the floor".

Psyren
2013-09-09, 11:46 PM
When this ability refers to the phrase "drop", it means incapacitate or kill, not literally "drop to the floor".

Incoming 30 page argument

rot42
2013-09-10, 03:05 AM
Incoming 30 page argument

Thirty? I think we can get at least forty by pointing out that using "drop" twice in the same sentence clearly implies that, by RAI, the abstract concept of HP is a creature that can be tripped.

More seriously - yeah, Blueiji has the right of it.

Greenish
2013-09-10, 03:09 AM
By a very loose interpretation of "enough damage with a melee attack to drop a creature", you could argue that the trip from Knock-Down qualifies.

Feytalist
2013-09-10, 03:15 AM
Well. It does say typically. What other methods of dealing damage to "drop" a creature are there? Other than aforementioned Knock-Down.

Maybe... enough Str damage to reduce it to 0? Heh.

ArcturusV
2013-09-10, 03:20 AM
Nonlethal damage? Ability damage? Sleep Effects? Hmm...

Zanos
2013-09-10, 03:27 AM
Any of the many spells that say fort save or X?

Where x is die.

ArcturusV
2013-09-10, 03:36 AM
Possible RAI argument for something like Flesh to Stone as well of course, or a Baleful Polymorph.

Feytalist
2013-09-10, 03:40 AM
Melee attack specified. So, at the very least, should be melee touch attacks.

Zanos
2013-09-10, 03:41 AM
Melee attack specified. So, at the very least, should be melee touch attacks.
Massive damage?

Incorrect
2013-09-10, 03:45 AM
Chicken Infested commoner and component pouch
Pull out chickens and drop them as a free action.

"Fear my ridiculous amount of chickens, for I am the clucky horror, and I shall drown your world in poultry!"

TiaC
2013-09-10, 03:58 AM
Attack the floor, if it breaks and your enemy falls through you have dealt "enough damage with a melee attack to drop a creature". Alternatively, kill the God of Gravity and make the multiverse cower.

Segev
2013-09-10, 06:49 AM
You know, I think this may be the only place where the RAW use the actual term "drop" as if it were meaningful in a mechanical sense.

Triple-check to confirm it actually uses that word, and that said word is not used anywhere else in that class with more definition?

Greenish
2013-09-10, 07:16 AM
You know, I think this may be the only place where the RAW use the actual term "drop" as if it were meaningful in a mechanical sense.Well, not the only place, given that the bit about dropping is taken almost verbatim from Cleave. :smallamused:

VariSami
2013-09-10, 07:20 AM
I also think "drop" is used, as Segev pointed out, like it has some mechanical meaning. As for it being limited to killing... I think that negative hp is still dropping despite being insufficient to kill per se (I know - even I have the enemies effectively dead at negative hp unless there is a reason to have not going to -10 matter). But this is purely speculation about RAI.

TrollCapAmerica
2013-09-10, 07:23 AM
This makes me wonder how many conditions have the effect "opponent loses next turn" and how that can be similarly misinterpreted.

Namfuak
2013-09-10, 07:50 AM
A similar wording oddity was mentioned in the RAW dysfunction thread, but relating to psionic catfall making you immune to tripping due to it making you always land on your feet when you fall. Tripping doesn't "drop" the opponent, it causes them to go prone. Due to the RAW wording, the sequence of actions is thus - you make your trip attempt, for our purposes succeed, and then the opposing character is "tripped." The next section explains what "being tripped" means - "A tripped character is prone." So, at no point in this exchange did the opponent fall, drop, or any other synonym of those words, they simply became prone.

Talderas
2013-09-10, 07:51 AM
Thirty? I think we can get at least forty by pointing out that using "drop" twice in the same sentence clearly implies that, by RAI, the abstract concept of HP is a creature that can be tripped.

The safe money is on a thread long enough to require a second thread.

CyberThread
2013-09-10, 09:15 AM
Hmm.....a grapple build could lift someone and then drop them.

Deophaun
2013-09-10, 09:19 AM
Alternatively, kill the God of Gravity and make the multiverse cower.
Wouldn't that actually be self-defeating, as without gravity nothing would ever drop ever again.

rot42
2013-09-10, 12:09 PM
The safe money is on a thread long enough to require a second thread.

Not up to FIFTY!

If an aoa sphere reflects 50 points of spell damage it splits off a droplet.

TiaC
2013-09-10, 03:19 PM
Wouldn't that actually be self-defeating, as without gravity nothing would ever drop ever again.

However, without gravity, you're in free-fall.