PDA

View Full Version : Wanderlust IC

Batpope Scott
2013-09-10, 12:36 AM
Wanderlust
The Adventurer's Fancy

Tired and ragged from their journey, two armed strangers enter the town of Lobring in silence. The two walk a fair ways past the guard post after they are questioned of their purpose and stop in the center of the market.

The rain beats down upon your heads as you stand afore the monument to an old hero in the center of the square. As the stone statue looms over the market the shadow it casts falls over you, blocking the light of the moon that only barely comes through the rain clouds dispersing their downpour. You are a stone's throw away from the warmth of the Drake's Nest tavern and if you were to head eastwards from where you are you would come to see the mayor's villa shortly.

The mayor has been calling across the region for hardy men to solve a problem of monsters for quite some time and has been trying to entice with promises of reward. Capable adventurers such as yourselves could make easy money slaying trivial monsters such as those that would plague a small town. The town itself is worth the trip anyway, as the wealthy and the destitute intermingle in the markets to sell wares from both near and far. It is the perfect place to find your heart's desire and the Lobring merchants will know exactly what they can get you to pay for it.

Hrycenko
2013-09-10, 12:45 AM
"We are traveling to visit with the mayor of this town. We hear he is looking to enlist assistance from men such as ourselves to help deal with a problem. Could you point us in the direction of his home?'

Mavithko
2013-09-10, 12:49 AM
"Well, this looks as good as any other to stay for the night, then once the sun hits the sky we will make our way to the mayor" Mordecai says with a laugh as he makes his way towards the inn.

Batpope Scott
2013-09-10, 12:54 AM
Unity of thought hasn't graced the pair tonight, as one asks a patrolling guard for directions and the other cheerfully walks to the tavern.

The guard laughs a bit and points east to the treeline "You're one 'o them 'venturers? The mayor sure knows how to hook a fish. You'll find 'is home that-a-way. Jus' keep walkin' and you'll find it."

Mavithko
You hear the exchange quite clearly, but may walk into the inn without your companion anyways.

Hrycenko
2013-09-10, 12:57 AM
Godric jogs over to his ally and ensures he heard the guard before joining him in the tavern.

Mavithko
2013-09-10, 01:02 AM
"Oy Godric, are we goin to have a drink first? or off to bed so soon" Mordicai pauses to wait for a reply

Hrycenko
2013-09-10, 01:05 AM
"Aye a drink first! You don't 'ave to even ask that question around me friend!" Godric shouts with a laugh and orders a flagon of ale.

Batpope Scott
2013-09-10, 01:05 AM
The inn is lively, even at this time of night, and you hear rambunctious fisherman's and sailors' merrymaking on the inside. As you come inside and out of the rain, the crowd welcomes you with a loud cry of "Hey!" before settling back into what they were previously doing. The bartender waves you over with a smile and sets a pair of mugs on the counter and jabs a thumb behind him to the wall that happens to be well stocked in alcohol. "You boys in for a drink?"

Godric's order is cheerfully filled by the bartender who makes sure both have a mug. He gestures for you both to take a chair and sit at the bar as he asks "What brings you into Lobring?"

Mavithko
2013-09-10, 01:12 AM
"Actually I have a pet that i would like to settle in a room before i start to drink, I would hate anyone to freak out if they saw him" Mordecai gets close to the inn keep so he is not over heard and hands him a gold piece

Batpope Scott
2013-09-10, 01:17 AM
The innkeeper chuckles softly as he reaches into his apron and replaces your gold piece with five silver and two copper. He leans down on the bar and says "You're one of the more normal things these men see in a day, lad. Go ahead and take your time down here unless the company bothers you."

Mavithko
2013-09-10, 01:23 AM
"Well if you insist" Mordecai kicks his feet up onto a table taking slow deliberate drinks as he watches over the tavern enjoying the time to relax It has been a while since i was able to relax

Hrycenko
2013-09-10, 01:27 AM
Then you should be spending more time with me when we're in town lad, I always bring the fun where I go!"

Mavithko
2013-09-10, 01:30 AM
"Aye, I could use some fun" He says trailing off as he watches over the inn, mesmerized by all the patrons as Vax his viper slithers in and rests coiled below his chair

Batpope Scott
2013-09-10, 01:35 AM
The night is relatively uneventful and the bartender comes around to remind you that the rooms are upstairs, should you like to rest, sometime after one of the sailors drunkenly challenges you both to a rousing game of "Fiddlyjibbits!" , whatever that is, and faints on your table.

Mavithko
2013-09-10, 10:33 AM
Mordecai wakes in his bed as the sun creeps across the "Well, today is as good as any other" He says to himself as he checks all of his gear and personal ites before heading to Godric's room.

Hrycenko
2013-09-10, 01:37 PM
Godic awakens from his nap and pushes the women off of himself to get dressed before heading off to find his friend Mordecai.

Mavithko
2013-09-10, 03:27 PM
"Godric! good to see you are ready, shall we head east to the mayors villa?" With a laugh and without waiting for a replay Mordecai makes his way out of the inn and continues his journey

Batpope Scott
2013-09-10, 11:09 PM
Godric groggily pushes off his collection of pillows and meets Mordecai at the bar, who was waiting for him to be ready. The pair walk out and are dazzled by the bright morning light before they come to view the market square in full hustle. Errand boys running down the streets, tourists pestering the patrol for directions and merchants in stalls of every color trying to get the passerby to stop for their wares.

The road is crowded, but not so much that you don't have room for personal space, and once you get out of the market square, you'd be alone if not for each other and the occasional errand boy. The road winds up a hill some, through the forest, and the mayors villa is plain as day at the top.

Though the walk is long, you're both healthy enough that it's not causing you too much grief and you're quickly greeted by a door guard that waves you forward. "May I ask what you are here to see the Lord Arken for?"

Hrycenko
2013-09-10, 11:09 PM
Godric quickly follows after Mordecai, still tightening his belt.

Mavithko
2013-09-10, 11:24 PM
"We here" gesturing to himself and Godric "We are adventurers and we would like to talk to the lord about helping with his monster problem"

Batpope Scott
2013-09-11, 04:18 AM
"Alright, follow me."

The guard leads you into the grand estate of wooden plank and log. The villa has a fairly natural feel, with plants nearly everywhere you look. The guard leads you up a circular wooden staircase built into the side of a log that stands in the center of the lobby. The stairs creak a bit as you walk up them but are otherwise sturdy.

You are lead through the second floor hallway to a study with bookshelves filled to the brim with novels, reports, maps and other assorted literature. Sitting at a desk in the back of the room is a middle aged man of thin build and gray hair. He turns to look at you with bright hazel eyes and you notice he looks like he hasn't shaved in a while, stubble edging his rugged jawline. He stands, rubbing his hands momentarily before putting them behind his back. He looks at you expectantly and says "Hello, gentlemen, and welcome to my study. What brings me the honor of your visit?"

Mavithko
2013-09-11, 10:38 AM
Flourishing his coat Mordecai goes into a deep bow. "We are adventurers here to help with your monster problem"

Batpope Scott
2013-09-12, 12:13 AM
He dismisses the guard with a wave of his hand before answering."Ah, very good. I've been searching for months and very few have actually come to my call." He walks over to a cupboard full of glass and grabs an intricately carved bottle with a dark orange liquid along with three snifters which he holds in the hand he points to the next room with. "Join me in the conference room? I would rather be away from my desk, if you don't mind."

He leads you into a small room barely large enough for the square table in the center. He stands by the chair on the other side and briefly gestures to the two closer to the door. He sets down the three snifters and fills them with the orange liquid about which he comments "Anedarian Brandy. Has a bit of a kick, but the flavor earns it's weight in gold." before sitting down. He takes a sip off his glass and says "Now I must warn you, the monsters I send you after are quite dangerous. Are you willing to risk your life for money?"

Hrycenko
2013-09-12, 01:47 AM
No monster stands too tall for this warrior my lord, point me in the direction and I will slay whatever lays in the path!

Mavithko
2013-09-12, 10:36 AM
"Aye, as Godric put it, we are very confident in our abilities, we will fix your monster problem" Mordecai says taking the drink.

Batpope Scott
2013-09-13, 02:46 AM
Lord Arken sighs and says "The creatures I need you to slay are no simple brutes." He points to a painting on the wall depicting a fair skinned young man with dark brown hair and hazel eyes. "My son. He fell ill last winter and passed away with the coming spring." There's a beat before he continues. "I know that he did not remain in his grave. He came to visit me about a month ago; his hair had turned crimson but I knew it was him. I fear he's turned into a shade, though I know not how."

He drains the last of his glass and, through a grimace, he claims "I need you to slay this creature and put my son back in his grave."

Mavithko
2013-09-13, 03:27 PM
"Aye" Mordecai says in a somber tone "I am not familiar with shades, how do we go about returning your son to his grave?"

Batpope Scott
2013-09-15, 04:40 AM
"A shade is a creature possessed by creatures not of this earth. The spirits that infest the body normally have permission into the body from it's owner. Though the host is given strange powers, they die like any other."

Mavithko
2013-09-15, 04:45 AM
"where can we find him" Mordecai takes a deep drink of the brandy.[roll0]

Batpope Scott
2013-09-17, 03:42 AM
Lord Arken shifts uncomfortably at the question; "This is the part that few of my candidates got to, for fear of the shade, but the rest were deterred by the answer to that question." Lord Arken imitates Mordecai's foolishness by draining what's left in his glass and setting it on the table before speaking again.

"I have promised myself that I will be honest with the men who would do this task for me, even if they do not hold their promise. I haven't been loyal to the land's policy about dealings with the Dwellers. The monster folk have been good business for me" He pauses and he runs a hand through his hair before standing, only to walk over to the painting and gaze into the eyes looking back at him. "My son was involved in many of my dealings and used his name as leverage to gain passage through the camps of the Dwellers that lay in the mountains of Kolr. They're a savage race, but he's liked enough by reputation that they're letting him stay in the mountain fortress of Barad'vod."

To those who roll Streetwise or History
You can read the spoilers of DCs that you meet or exceed.
DC5
The Dwellers are bogeymen for the other races of Eonaith; their reputation precede them as monsters. Most of the stories tell of small human-shaped men with sharp fangs and pointy ears who take children who misbehave.
DC10
Dwellers are indeed small men at half the height of a man, but their ears stick out to the side, a half-foot each, their blue skin and dark pitted eyes combining with their sharp fangs to create the nightmares of many farmers.
DC15
The Dwellers of the Kolr Mountains aren't the regular kind that raid farmsteads in the night; their shoulders are wide and they stand a full foot taller than most. The muscle and rage is bound by only a meager mind. These green skinned monsters take what they need ruthlessly and no kingdom would suffer a Kolr Dweller to live if it passed their borders.
DC20 (History Only)
The fortress of Barad'vod was built by the Gaoth in older times as a safe place to store a piece of their vast archives, now lost, as it's creators were driven out by the Kolr Dwellers and the giants who live farther up the mountain than even the Kolr.

Mordecai
The brandy is a little strong for you. The effects are strangely immediate but you think they're going to develop quickly.

Your wisdom is temporarily lowered by 4.

Hrycenko
2013-09-18, 10:28 PM
[roll0] Streetwise

Hrycenko
2013-09-18, 10:31 PM
"Point us in its direction and we shall set off."

Batpope Scott
2013-09-18, 10:55 PM
"Kolr is a ways to the south-west. I will hire a guide, if you like, though even taking the shortest path will be weeks of travel. It may even carry into winter and the mountains are hazardous at that time."

Mavithko
2013-09-18, 10:58 PM
"Well, then in that case I would like to know the location of the nearest merchant where i could purchase some warm clothes, we shall depart soon after"

Batpope Scott
2013-09-18, 11:01 PM
"Angraf down at the general store will give you the clothes for free if you tell him I sent you. Do you want me to contact the guide?"

Mavithko
2013-09-20, 07:49 PM
"That would be much appreciated, we will depart as soon as we get clothing"

Batpope Scott
2013-09-24, 09:02 AM
As you are ushered out of the building, you hear Lord Arken calling for a messenger, presumably to contact your guide, and he yells after you as you walk down the road. "Meet the guide to the north of the city in an hour; don't worry on exacts, he'll find you."

The town is still in it's bustle as you walk to the general store and the crowds make the trip a bit longer but soon enough the pair of you stand on the entryway as a burly bearded man behind a counter argues with a handsome young man about the price of the selection.

"Don't assume I'll sell for a copper under that price! You're just a pup and don't know what you're doing, but your father ought to have learned you the sense of not arguing with the merchant!"

The boy flusters and trips over his words for a moment before giving an angry huff and storming out, bumping into you on his way. "Get out of my way, peasant!"

Hrycenko
2013-09-27, 07:01 PM
Well lad, I was going to give you money to help pay for that, but I don't think I will with that attitude.

Batpope Scott
2013-09-28, 01:15 AM
The noble boy has an expression normally reserved for those who've just been struck. "Y-you can't talk back to me..." His whine ends as he regains his scowl and states "I am the son of Lord Queran of Anedaria, I don't need your handouts and I will not suffer your disrespect! Now, get out of my way!" He tries to move past you, though you could easily get in front of his scrawny five foot one and knock some sense into him.

Hrycenko
2013-09-28, 01:29 AM
Godric grabs the brat by the shoulders and waves his finger in his face, Listen here child, you are the one who need to learn respect. I don't care who your daddy is, because he obviously isn't helping much in raising you. If you really need a bit of coin then you should earn it like a man does! Now apologize for your disrespect to both me and the merchant!

Batpope Scott
2013-09-28, 01:44 AM
"Get your hands off me!" he writhes under your grasp, but is barely strong enough to move your hands. His squirming is complemented with a quick slew of swears unbecoming of a noble child and he says "I don't need your 'real man's coin' I have plenty of my own, he's just charging more than I'd ever pay! Now get your hands off me before I get them off myself!"

Roll Perception for me.

DC10
He's not just acting tough, he's hiding the fact that he's not well. His clothes do a fair job of hiding it, but you can tell he's both underfed and unfit.

DC15
Normally someone with a fair bit of coin being shaken would have a bit of wealth rustle in their coin purses, making the motion audible, and you haven't heard even the slightest jingle in all his moving about.

Hrycenko
2013-09-28, 01:49 AM
[roll0] Insight

Hrycenko
2013-09-28, 01:53 AM
Tough talk for one looking so sickly and small as yourself boy! Heh, I haven't even heard a jingle from your pockets. Wheres that coin o yers you speak of?

Batpope Scott
2013-09-28, 01:57 AM
He squirms some more as he yells "Shut up! I don't carry it on me!" His voice quivers and he stops struggling. He stands there with his head down and he barely mumbles "Please let me go."

Hrycenko
2013-09-28, 01:59 AM
What be your issue child? Noble daddy don't feed his boy?

Batpope Scott
2013-09-28, 02:08 AM
The child is silent but the shopkeep sighs and quietly states "Lord Queran isn't known for raising his bastards."

Mavithko
2013-09-28, 06:05 PM
"well, maybe he would be more inclined to if his son, bastard or no, was a little bit more of a man"

Batpope Scott
2013-09-29, 03:04 AM
The shopkeep sits in his chair, behind the counter, and states "I can see you don't have any children, if that's what you think."

The boy, moving swiftly, escapes from your firm hold. He stands there, defiantly, and, with tear-blurred eyes, states "I'm the noble-born bastard of one of the largest lordships in all of Anedaria; my blood demands I act with dignity and honor, but I don't have any of the blessings of wealth. I had a sword in my hand at nine and have been unsuccessfully used as a throwaway son to be wed into other families seven times. Despite that, I earn my coin working with the servants for a pittance that can't feed a girl half my age and you have the gall to say I'm not man enough for him? I hope your next meal tastes of poison!" He shakes, but his head doesn't fall. He stands there, defiant, with his meager build and confessed lack of power. His scowl speaks of daggers and you know he'd sooner have your head than your pity.

Hrycenko
2013-09-29, 11:54 AM
Godric strokes his beard and looks to Mordecai, "Perhaps we should take him with us on our adventure, then he could find a glorious way to make a living and he would be helping people. What do you think?"

Mavithko
2013-09-29, 12:09 PM
"Aye, he should come, as long as he can keep up" Mordecai lets out a small laugh "we will have to get him a sword and some warm clothes"

Batpope Scott
2013-09-29, 12:13 PM
"What."

The boy is flabbergasted and can't form a better response, but the shopkeep gets to work and has three pairs of cold-weather suits on the counter before that better response becomes evident. The sight of the warm furs brings it aloft, however, as he says "You can't be serious. I don't even know where you're going!"

Hrycenko
2013-09-29, 12:14 PM
Godric lets out a loud laugh, "Come on now lad, we're takin yuh on an adventure!" Godric grabs the boy and hefts him up over his shoulder.

Hrycenko
2013-09-29, 12:16 PM
"Oy shopkeep, we'll be takin those warm coats you got there and an extra longsword for the boy here if you got one. If not can you point me in the right direction of a smith?"

Batpope Scott
2013-09-29, 12:17 PM
"Oof. Hey, let me down!" he squirms a bit but doesn't struggle as much as you'd expect. He apparently doesn't think it'll do him much good.

The shopkeep shrugs and says "There's a smith down the street from here, though he probably won't have too much of a selection this time of year for swords."

The shopkeep looks at you with a serious face as you come to pick up the furs and says "You take care o' him now, you hear? He's not a bad child, no matter what he thinks."

Hrycenko
2013-09-29, 12:22 PM
"Thank you sir!" Godric heads over to locate the blacksmith, "Hello there sir! Do you by chance have any longswords for sale? Perhaps a shortsword?"

Batpope Scott
2013-09-29, 12:41 PM
The blacksmith is a balding man with a full and scraggly beard that appears to have been singed several times over just this morning. He looks up from a simple wooden chair as you come in and spares only a glance to the boy on your shoulder. "I 'ave a few swords, done 'em meself just nah, thar over there in tha' barrel" He points over to a barrel that has several handles sticking out the top. Mostly there's typical unadorned work that shows a boring practicality in design, but the one that catches your eye is a blade with a silver-inlaid handle of solid and shining steel, the grip a woven silk, and it's the only blade of the bunch to be stored in it's sheath which has an elegant design. Obviously, the sword would be difficult to get off the merchant but the others are drab in comparison.

Hrycenko
2013-09-29, 12:43 PM
Godric picks up the blade in the sheath, "I'll be takin this shiny one you got here."

Batpope Scott
2013-09-29, 12:50 PM
The smith sighs and wistfully looks at the sheathed blade. "Och, I shoulda known I'd 'ave to explain this agen today. Tha' blade? Twas thrice cursed by me grandfather; if ya want it, take it, but no man's been able to draw the blade since tha' old man found it in tha woods."

The boy you've been carrying has stopped his squirming upon hearing the explanation and seems to be listening intently.

Hrycenko
2013-09-29, 12:59 PM
I'll take it anyway, but I can't leave you without a profit. I'll give you five gold for the sword, an thank you sir." Godric sets down the boy and tosses him the sword, "Lets 'ave a look at yer new toy shall we?"

Batpope Scott
2013-09-29, 01:07 PM
The smith chuckles softly as the boy catches the blade, his comment seeming obvious to anyone that was listening. "I'm tellin' ye, thar's nary a soul in town that can draw tha'..." He stops as the gleam of steel catches his eye and the noble boy stands with an unsheathed sword right before him. "H-how?" he sputters, disbelief in his eyes. The boy's eyes, however, are locked on the blade itself. The metal is immaculate and intricately carved, the design depicting a vine and leaves entwined with the sword.

The smith sits himself back down, just now realizing he'd jumped up in shock, and softly says "Ya can keep yer coin; I was never tha' swords master, by the looks o' it, so I can't sell it to ya."

Hrycenko
2013-09-29, 01:08 PM
"Then consider it a donation fer yer service to the city. Come on lad, lets hunt us down some monsters!"

Batpope Scott
2013-09-29, 01:25 PM
The coin clinks on the counter as the smith shrugs and stands to get back to work. You seem to break the boy out of his trance and he scowls at you a bit before saying "My name's Fyfe, not 'lad'. Where are you trying to take me, anyway?"

Hrycenko
2013-09-29, 01:30 PM
"We're hunting a shade in Kolr."

Batpope Scott
2013-09-29, 01:35 PM
"Kolr? As in the Kolr mountains? Why on earth would I want to follow you out there?!" Fyfe seems to have lost some composure, his voice squeaking ever so slightly as he incredulously blurts his question.

Hrycenko
2013-09-29, 02:01 PM
Because that is where you will start your journey to becoming a man! This is your chance to prove yourself to the world.

Batpope Scott
2013-09-29, 02:09 PM
"You're going to get yourself killed and, more importantly, you're going to drag me down with you!" Fyfe sheathes the sword and crosses his arms.

Hrycenko
2013-09-29, 02:14 PM
"The only ones dyin be the shade and all who stand in my path lad! Now lets get a move on towards victory! Godric doesn't even wait for a reply before hoisting the boy up on his shoulder and running off to find the guide.

Batpope Scott
2013-09-29, 03:05 PM
Objecting to his barbaric treatment, Fyfe continues to give his impression of an asphyxiating fish as you hold him but doesn't really get anywhere doing so.

You venture out the north of the city, as you were told to do, and come on a camp on the roadside in short order. Sitting on a rock, sharpening a wickedly serrated knife, is a short man with scruffy black mid-length hair, brown eyes and dark stubble across his edged jaw. He looks up as you approach and slips his blade into it's sheath on his hip before loudly asking "'Ow ya goin'? You the starkers what wanna get to Kolr? Name's Fari."

Mavithko
2013-09-30, 06:56 PM
"Aye, that's us, you must be our guide, we brought along company, hope you don't mind" gesturing to the boy "If there is nothing else lets be on our way"

Batpope Scott
2013-10-01, 04:13 AM
The man chuckles softly "Long as you mates don't put me under as we're ridin' shank's pony, we're in good nick."

He stands and gives himself a few pats to shake the dust before he starts walking down the road. One would assume he means for you to follow.

Hrycenko
2013-10-02, 07:57 PM
Godric follows the guide to glory.

Batpope Scott
2013-10-09, 05:17 PM
You quickly come to assume the phrase "shank's pony" refers to going on-foot after three hours of march. This idea isn't lost on Fyfe any, either, who whines that "You kidnapped me only to make me walk from Lobring to the Kolr mountains? Couldn't you have run me through in the general store? That would've been faster."

Your guide whips around with a grimace and a "Shh!" to quiet the boy. He talks in a hushed tone, very slowly and calmly. "The Kolr Dwellers are strong, but the ones out here are crafty, spiteful, and vicious."

Disregarding the older man, Fyfe crosses his arms and loudly says "You're mad. Dwellers only come out at-"

The thunk of a handax embedding itself at his feet silences him soundly. You all look down to see the crude stone ax, with it's odd tribal inscriptions in the hilt, and recognize the attackers for what they are as the bushes rustle. Dwellers.
Roll Initiative

Mavithko
2013-10-13, 11:37 PM
"Be ready for trouble" [roll0] initiative

Batpope Scott
2013-10-14, 04:13 PM
Fari
Dwellers
Godric
Mordecai
Fyfe

Round 1

Your guide, Fari, pulls out a pair of his curved daggers just in time for the horde of Dwellers to come screaming out of the bushes. The blue-skinned miscreants brandish crude handaxes made of bone and leather and it looks as if you're fighting an entire raiding party! Seven Dwellers charge, though one ends up on the business end of Fari's knife and backs away.

Godric is struck, though he deflected the first attack with ease.
DC 10 Fort Save [roll0]

Mordecai has less trouble with them, as he dodges all three attacks that come his way.

Fyfe barely escapes the ax swung at him, but he remains unharmed for now.

Hrycenko
2013-10-14, 09:58 PM
Godric charges at the nearest Dweller with his axe.

Batpope Scott
2013-10-23, 05:52 AM
Godric has an opponent directly in front of him, so his charge isn't needed or possible. What's worse, he misses the dodgy little bugger.

Mordecai can post if it's his turn, whether or not I've posted confirmation for Godric's turn. Generally I handle all of the round's summary in one post.

Mavithko
2013-10-27, 06:27 PM
Mordecai lunges forward at the enemy farthest right with his short sword, Vex snaps at the one in the middle
Mordecai attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]
vex attack [roll2]
damage[roll3]
poison[roll4] con damage dc 11 fort save