PDA

View Full Version : All possible bonus types for saves, others?

GilesTheCleric
2013-09-10, 12:42 AM
I'm doing some slight revamping of my character sheets. What are all of the possible bonus types that commonly apply to saves (i.e. worth putting on a character sheet)? I typically only see resistance, but there could definitely be others.

Same question for attacks and initiative.

Edit: I'll update the OP as new types roll in.

Saves: Resistance (eg. superior resistance), Insight (eg. defensive precognition), Dodge (eg. haste)

Attacks:

Initiative: Insight (eg. warning)

Zanos
2013-09-10, 12:45 AM
You can get a fairly large insight bonus to saves from the defensive precognition (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/precognitionDefensive.htm) power. Awesome if you have the phrenic template since PsL's are automatically augmented.

EDIT: Some other stuff:

The Warning enchantment gives +5 Insight to initiative. Most of the other bonuses to initiative I can think of are untyped or just general dex check increases.

Saves:
Insight
Luck
Sacred
Morale
Profane
Resistance

There are also racial, alchemical, competence, and circumstance bonuses, but those are almost always against very specific effects.

SolioFebalas
2013-09-10, 06:38 AM
There is one more :smallsmile: "untyped", although it is quite rare.

Khedrac
2013-09-10, 06:45 AM
The spell Haste gives a dodge bonus to reflex saves.

You may want to look through the X stat to Y bonus thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) for some ideas.

One of the problems with things like this is that there are almost always more, and some are so rare they are not worth putting on a character sheet.

Evolved Shrimp
2013-09-10, 07:44 AM
Khedrac makes a good point (e.g, there is an “alchemical bonus”, which you practially never see).

If you are serious with your list regardless, try googling "bonus to reflex", "bonus to fortitude", and "bonus to will" and see what comes up. (Include the quotation marks in each search. You may also want to add "D&D" as a term.)

I tried this, and found a few additional bonuses in the first few pages:
- Racial
- Competence
- Circumstance
- Armor

However, not all terms you find this way are valid for D&D 3.5. For example, (to the best of my knowledge) there are no “equipment” or “feat” bonuses.

GilesTheCleric
2013-09-10, 08:18 AM
One of the problems with things like this is that there are almost always more, and some are so rare they are not worth putting on a character sheet.

Yes, that is why I decided to make this thread, rather than just including every bonus type in the game. Otherwise my whole sheet is going to look like the AC section, which I'm not keen on. Perhaps I should have changed the OP to discriminate for only common buffs.

Edit: OP updated.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-10, 08:26 AM
There is an artificer infusion that let's you change the bonus an item gives to any type you want, so you could potentially end with dodge bonus to attack or initiative.

Chronos
2013-09-10, 09:23 AM
Dodge is one of the very few bonus types that Item Alteration explicitly can't give you. You could arguably still get something like a resistance bonus to attack, though, or an alchemical bonus to AC.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-10, 09:30 AM
I didn't have the book at hand so I couldn't check and went with the most outrageous bonus type I could remember.

Person_Man
2013-09-10, 09:33 AM
Some basic Saving Throw optimization:

Check out X to Y options, linked to above. This covers most of your class and Feat based options, like Paladin, Hexblade, Kensai, Blackguard, Warblade maneuvers which replace Saves with Concentration checks, Evil Blessing, etc.

Empyreal armor or shield enhancement: You can transfer your enhancement bonus to AC to be a sacred bonus to Saves. Although adding this to a +5 shield to get a bonus to your Saves would be twice as expensive as a Cloak of Resistance, it’s noteworthy in that the bonuses stack. So for a grand total of 75,000ish gp, you can get a +10 to all of your Saves, which should be enough for pretty much any high level character. +2 bonus, Book of Exalted Deeds pg 112.

Elan: -2 Cha, Medium, 30 ft, Aberration type, +2 power points, Resistance, Resilience, other minor bonuses. Elan can spend 1 power point as an immediate action to increase their saves by +4 for 1 round, or decrease damage they’ve taken by 2 points for each power point spend (which can be increased to a 4/1 ratio with the Enhanced Elan Resilience feat from Complete Psionic). There are various ways to gain extra psionic power points, so this is basically a floating Save/DR bonus. Expanded Psionics Handbook.

Chosen of Evil Feat: As an Immediate Action take a point of Con damage to gain an Insight bonus equal to the number of Vile feats you have (including this one) to any attack, Save, ability check, or Skill check. Take Shape Soulmeld (Strongheart Vest) or a level of Binder for the Naberius vestige to deal with the Con damage, or just buy a Wand of Restoration. Elder Evils.

Deformity (Madness): You take a -4 penalty to your Wisdom, but gain immunity to mind-affecting effects. Once per minute you can add 1/2 your character level to any Will Save. Elder Evils pg 13.

Divine Fortune: Burn a Turn/Rebuke Undead use as an Immediate Action to gain a +4 unnamed bonus to your next Save. PHBII pg 88.

Divine Defiance: Burn a turn/rebuke undead use to counter a spell as an Immediate Action. You must still have Dispel Magic, Greater Dispel Magic, or the same spell available to follow the normal countermagic rules though. Fiendish Codex II, pg 83.

Tabard of Valor: When reduced to 50% hit points or less, you gain Mettle. If you already have Mettle, you gain Improved Mettle (which works just like Improved Evasion, but for Will and Fort Saves). 16,000 gp, Complete Champion pg 142.

GilesTheCleric
2013-09-10, 09:48 AM
Wow. I'm impressed with that list, and with all of the other suggestions everyone has already submitted. But I think that this missing the point of the thread - I'm trying to figure out what fields I need to add to my character sheet to more easily accommodate differing (and temporary) bonus types. I'm not doing any optimization here.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-10, 10:04 AM
Most common bonus to saves are probably resistance and morale, frankly I don't see the point of adding more stuff to a character sheet, mine are usually cluttered enough without expanding it.

GilesTheCleric
2013-09-10, 10:33 AM
I agree. However, my current situation (lvl ~18 party with 6+ members) demands that I have better tracking of buffs and their types - just writing down everything in a .txt and then entering the sum into a "temp" field on my sheet isn't working. It's difficult to keep track of the changes between my daily buffs (8-24 hour duration), and encounter buffs, debuffs, etc. I'm typically running upwards of ten spells of my own casting; and last bbeg fight, I had 23 buffs up.

Being able to keep all of my common buffs on the sheet so I can just worry about unique buffs I have up on a separate .txt is really what I'm aiming for here. However, I want to be able to accommodate other classes with one character sheet, rather than having to deal with the nightmare of forked releases.