PDA

View Full Version : Dysfunctional Dragonscale Husk

nedz
2013-09-10, 04:27 AM
I have a player thinking about taking this ACF, but it has a known Dysfunction (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13947180&postcount=911).

How would you house rule this ?

A_S
2013-09-10, 04:35 AM
I'd just make it an Armor bonus, drop all the other non-stacking verbiage, and call it a day. It'd give between 6 and 12 AC over the course of your career; that's about what a suit of armor gives.

nedz
2013-09-10, 04:55 AM
Seems reasonable, but how would it interact with Natural Armour ?
As written it does seem to be more Natural Armour than Armour.

Waker
2013-09-10, 04:57 AM
I would make it follow the same rules as a Warforged composite plating, replacing words here and there to represent a draconic flavor rather than a construct.

ArcturusV
2013-09-10, 05:05 AM
I think I'm going to second A_S's.

I'd just have it replace Armor. Let it stack with Natural armor. I'm kind of picturing something like say, a Half-Devil who gets natural armor from the outsider blood and mystical strength, and the scales of the dragonhusk being layered over that. Two stage armor. Makes sense. Or say... a lizard folk, which is going to sound stupid if I got it wrong and Lizardfolk don't have NA... with the Dragonhusk being a mutation on top of their scales, toughing up their bodies and covering vulnerable spots... but they still have the lizardskin scaled hides underneath to give them armor as well.

Gwendol
2013-09-10, 06:16 AM
Just call it armor, and go from there.

A_S
2013-09-10, 06:21 PM
Seems reasonable, but how would it interact with Natural Armour ?
As written it does seem to be more Natural Armour than Armour.
Fluff-wise, yeah, it's natural, but mechanically it's obviously supposed to be a replacement for armor that you wear. I'd just make the husk stack as normal with natural armor, and say "races that already have natural armor can grow tougher husks" for the fluff.