PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping on a tree branch mechanics

yuedarkangel
2013-09-10, 04:35 AM
What would be the check for a character's ability to sleep comfortably and safely on a tree branch (obviously the branch would be large enough and strong enough to support the character overnight,) with and without aids like binding oneself to the branch.

Greenish
2013-09-10, 04:48 AM
Sleeping astride a running Skeletal Steed (mentioned to have a gait more even than a normal horse) requires a DC 15 Ride check, according to Five Nations, with failure of said check only resulting in 4 hours of fitful sleep.

Using that as the baseline, sleeping on a tree-branch without binding yourself to it would probably require a DC 10 or DC 15 Balance check, and tying yourself would probably reduce that to DC 5.

yuedarkangel
2013-09-10, 05:51 AM
Sleeping astride a running Skeletal Steed (mentioned to have a gait more even than a normal horse) requires a DC 15 Ride check, according to Five Nations, with failure of said check only resulting in 4 hours of fitful sleep.

Using that as the baseline, sleeping on a tree-branch without binding yourself to it would probably require a DC 10 or DC 15 Balance check, and tying yourself would probably reduce that to DC 5.

sounds good to me thx :smile:

Bronk
2013-09-10, 06:36 AM
Or, with a few DC10 'use rope' checks to ensure secure knots, you could make a hammock for yourself... you'd only really be securing the hammock.

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-10, 07:51 AM
I would go with a DC 10 survival check. It seems to me to fall under the heading of wilderness survival and picking just the right spot to sleep rather than balancing.

Psyren
2013-09-10, 07:57 AM
Or, with a few DC10 'use rope' checks to ensure secure knots, you could make a hammock for yourself... you'd only really be securing the hammock.

Indeed, I'd allow a good Use Rope check to obviate the need for Balance checks during the night.

I'd also allow Survival (DC 10-15 or so) to find you a forked branch that you can nestle in without needing either. Multiple solutions to every problem.

Person_Man
2013-09-10, 09:35 AM
If you're binding yourself to a branch with some rope or cloth so that you don't fall, then any idiot who can successfully Climb the tree should be able to sleep in it, though it wouldn't be particularly comfortable. (Assuming that the tree can support your weight, and there isn't heavy rain, snow, sleet, wind, etc). When they're tired enough, people can sleep in any position. My brother is in the Navy, and likes to talk about how after a few weeks of basic training, people would take turns sleeping while marching in formation. Apparently, the trick is to march shoulder to shoulder with two people who aren't sleeping.