PDA

View Full Version : Can I turn off the profanity filter (for my own view)?

Lorsa
2013-09-10, 07:09 AM
While I generally try to avoid such language myself, I have seen some posts with ***** in them. I have no problems with profanity or whatever words people may use and would rather see them upfront then have to guess what's supposed to be there. I know other forums have had options such as these and was wondering if it was possible (and perhaps if not - why)? I've been looking for such an option but haven't found one.

Jimorian
2013-09-10, 07:22 AM
No, there's no user setting for those, it's universal for the entire site, and hard codes the *'s into the posts (I believe, might be wrong). If you're seeing **** and such, even when it's typed that way purposely by the poster, they're violating the rules against profanity, whether it's open OR masked, we're not supposed to use it.

There is an exception where you are allowed to bypass the filter with formatting tricks when using non-profane forms of the word, such as talking about Moby **** or **** Grayson or you want to talk about the delicious ****ake mushrooms you had last night.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-09-10, 07:23 AM
According to the Forum Rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1):

Excessive Use of Profanity
Most profanity is censored by our filter, though a few mild terms (generally those that appear in the comic) and words that have both a benign meaning and a profane or offensive one, are not. However, the excessive use of profanity, whether or not it is filtered, is not acceptable. Most words can be determined from context, and we wish to maintain a friendly and courteous environment on this forum. Please note that an occasional filtered word or use of a non-filtered word is not an offense; if, however, your ****** posts ******* regularly look like this ******* sentence, it is in violation of this rule. We do realize that the filter is both under-inclusive and over-inclusive; we are not going to change it by poster request. Also, circumventing the filter for even a single profanity is a more serious violation of the Forum Rules (see below under "Circumventing the Board Filter").

From what I understand, there is no ability to switch off this feature for individual users. The filter is in place to maintain a "friendly and courteous environment on this forum", as listed above.

Rawhide
2013-09-10, 07:32 AM
Turning off the filter individually is both technically and feasibly not possible. Sorry.