PDA

View Full Version : Fear build advice

Sir_Chivalry
2013-09-10, 01:51 PM
So I've been looking over the fear handbook, and I'm looking to build an intimidate monster. My question is, in order to save levels, what are the ways to get familiars for non or lite-casters (so as to leverage that for a hexblade dark companion), an aura of despair (-2 to all saves) or awe (immune to fear, -2 to checks and saves against fear), inspire awe (alternate class feature of inspire courage, causes the opponent to save against shaken)

If magic items or the like don't exist, at worst I'd rather eat one class (Paladin of Tyranny or Hexblade) over the other.

Any magic item experts out there, what would items that accomplish such feats be worth?

Build as I see it so far: Zhentarim Dungeoncrasher Thug 9/Half-Orc Paragon 1/Avenging Executioner 5 paying for the Otyugh Hole magic location to get Menacing Demeanour, with either taking some paladin of tyranny (with some half-orc subs) and/or hexblade (for debuff and the all important dark companion)

Taveena
2013-09-10, 03:57 PM
Focalor's Aura of Sadness (functionally identical to Aura of Despair, but stacks) is obtainable with Bind Vestige and Improved Bind Vestige.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-10, 04:31 PM
Be sure you use the Half-Humans variant from Races of Destiny page 150, so your Half-Orc character will qualify for feats and classes as though he's Human instead of Orc. This allows you to take Dreadful Wrath (PGtF) as you can pick a Human region. Even as a half-human he's still a half-orc and can still get Menacing Demanor and Half-Orc Paragon, as neither of those are exclusive to orcs.

Be sure to include Unseelie Fey with the Winter aspect if possible, from Dragon Compendium. Any living, nonfey creature within 5 ft. of you will take a morale (mind-affecting) penalty to saves equal to your Cha bonus. It also gives you wings of a variety of your choosing, bonuses to Dex and Cha but penalties to Str and Con (+/-2), and another +4 Intimidate, for zero level adjustment (see the example creature).

If you can get an arcane caster level of 3rd (spell-like abilities of spells found on the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list count per CA p72) then you can take the feat Obtain Familiar from Complete Arcane. If you have feats to spare, Fey or Fiendish Heritage + Fey or Fiendish Presence in Complete Mage will give you spell-like abilities at a caster level equal to your character level. You have to be at least 6th level to get that, so Obtain Familiar wouldn't show up until at least 9th level. You want to get Imperious Command at 6th, so that pushes Fey or Fiendish Presence back to 9th and Obtain Familiar to 12th. If you're starting at level 6+ you can take flaws to gain all of those at 6th, as flaws can show up at any level as long as it's during character creation. I'm sure there's an easier way to get it than spending two feats on a Heritage + Presence, but it's been way too long since I've needed anything like that.

If you want even more bonuses to Intimidate and have feats to spare, Psicrystal Affinity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm#psicrystals) (Bully) gives you +3, Willing Deformity (HoH) gives +3 (and you can spend another feat for Blindsense 30 ft.), and you can get an Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) and invest skill ranks into it to get a bonus to a skill up to your number of ranks in it.