PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian with Use Magic Device

GreenETC
2013-09-10, 03:34 PM
In a campaign I'm currently playing in, I've got a Barbarian with Use Magic Device as a permanent class skill. I intend to fully utilize this, even though I can't use it during rage, so I have Nymph's Kiss and intend on getting Shape Soulmeld: Mage's Spectacles at level 9, which with ranks will give me a guaranteed 20 on my UMD check, meaning I can cast any wand.

My main problem is not knowing what to do with my UMD check. I already figured I could get wand chambers and start going crazy with cool wands, or get scrolls of powerful spells, but what are the best options I have?

Greenish
2013-09-10, 03:53 PM
Enlarge Person, Wraithstrike, Mirror Image… most any low-level gish spells should work, though 1st level ones certainly come cheaper.

HalfQuart
2013-09-10, 03:55 PM
You might be able to find some helpful stuff in Dictum Mortuum's Handbook to Wand Users and Crafters (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2012/01/handbook-to-wand-users-and-crafters.html).

Psyren
2013-09-10, 04:00 PM
You could UMD that Sparring Dummy thing for an hour(?) and get a ten-foot-step. There are probably other classes that would be good to emulate.

Segev
2013-09-10, 04:12 PM
Consider that you can use it to emulate alignments for alignment-locked items. You can even emulate class features. A barbarian with, say, a Divine Avenger could be fun.

TuggyNE
2013-09-10, 05:34 PM
You could UMD that Sparring Dummy thing for an hour(?) and get a ten-foot-step. There are probably other classes that would be good to emulate.

A week, actually, and you need at least a 21 for all those hundred+ checks. So squeeze out another +1, and you've got it.

GreenETC
2013-09-10, 05:39 PM
A week, actually, and you need at least a 21 for all those hundred+ checks. So squeeze out another +1, and you've got it.
At level 9 with Nymph's Kiss (2), Charisma (1), Skill Ranks (12), and Mage's Spectacles (4), I get +19 to UMD. This is excluding getting Bonus Essentia, more Skill Ranks, and Cha/UMD boosting items. I fully intend to be able to get the requisite DC 37 check to be able to use 9th level scrolls at some point.