PDA

View Full Version : help with a cleric build

shadowlead
2013-09-10, 04:44 PM
I'm pretty new to D&D. I started playing 3.5 with a group of friends. I"m playing a dwarven cleric of pelor. I recently got to level 6 but haven't taken my skills new feat etc. I haven't been planning his progression out and I'm starting to realize the old addage "failure to plan is planning to fail." so I am the main healer of my party but also I'm a frontline fighter, so I want to keep getting as strong in melee as I can. any ideas? what feat/skills should I take, any prestige classes?

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-10, 04:48 PM
What feats do you already have? If you don't have Extend Spell, pick that up. If you do, take Persistent Spell, then Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell. Congratulations, now you can cast your highest-level melee buff spell on yourself and have it last all day.

For healing, grab a Wand of Cure Light Wounds or, preferably, a Wand of Lesser Vigor. Only actually use healing spells in combat if it's the difference between an ally dying or not. Preparing debuff-removing spells is okay, although scrolls are better.

GilesTheCleric
2013-09-10, 07:04 PM
Yuki's suggestion is pretty much the only suggestion. As a cleric, you're free to do whatever you please in terms of feats. Skills matter, but mostly to the extent of qualifying for PrCs, which you don't need to go into unless you want to. Cleric 20 will cover your needs as well or better than cleric x/other things x.

If you want to frontline, all you need to do is cast two or three spells on yourself and you're set. Picking up power attack or other melee feats (I like goad) is just icing. Righteous might, and righteous wrath of the faithful (CD) will do it, although having up bear's and bull's wouldn't hurt.

Here's some links to lists of PrCs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15891811&postcount=8) and feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15895671&postcount=13) I've made.

Edit: Forgot the links! Also, you might want to check out the intuitive attack feat (CD). Other than that, item creation and metamagic are always good picks.

Eldariel
2013-09-10, 07:22 PM
You're a Cleric of Pelor who's about to hit level 6 so going Radiant Servant of Pelor [Complete Divine] seems extremely appropriate. You're also getting very close to Divine Power when you truly start to shine in combat (well, level 9 you can start casting Righteous Might and quickening +3/+3 Divine Favor so that's nice too).

Obviously max out on Wisdom (including all level-ups), get some Pearls of Power, use Greater Magic Weapon once you hit level 8, the obvious stuff. And yeah, Yuki's suggestions are a great way to make the wheels turn. Best thing is, you can use Persistent Spell through Divine Metamagic to cast Mass Lesser Vigor [Complete Divine/Spell Compendium] on the whole party removing the need for downtime healing as everybody gets Fast Healing: 1 for the whole day. This way you can focus on buffing and combat spells (Silence, Shatter & Dispel Magic are all pretty good on this level).

holywhippet
2013-09-10, 11:05 PM
You could consider a single level dip into monk and then go for the sacred fist PrC. It gives full BAB progression which will help you in melee. If your DM accepts the text description as trumping the progression table, it also gives you full spell casting progression.

That PrC does require you to go unarmed and unarmored though so you'll want some spells to deal with the AC loss. Unarmed isn't much of a problem if you have the right spells and items.

Garwain
2013-09-11, 04:23 AM
Please stop suggesting DMM persistent Spell. this is very feat intensive, and doesn't add any fun. So you're running around buffed, so what?

I definitly support the Radiant Servant of Pelor PrC. Although focussed on healing, it adds nice goodies above normal Cleric progression. You might want to be interested in Divine Oracle, also full casting, with the focus on divinations. But second level gives some sort of heavy armor evasion, which is always useful if you're standing in blast radius.

More combat oriented is War Priest or Ordained Champion.

You know, in fact, browse through the Complete Champion and Complete Divine, and look for prestige classes that don't loose too much caster levels. Take the one that fits, and you'll have fun.

For feats, I would point to Divine Metamagic: Quicken. This is feat intensive as well, but allows you to buff AND wade into melee at the same turn.

Eldariel
2013-09-11, 04:30 AM
Please stop suggesting DMM persistent Spell. this is very feat intensive, and doesn't add any fun. So you're running around buffed, so what?

Persistent Mass Lesser Vigor/Vigorous Circle is one of the best ways to deal with downtime healing removing the need for Wands and such entirely, and conserving spell slots.

eggynack
2013-09-11, 04:45 AM

But... you're running around buffed. I mean, I could make that argument against pretty much anything in the entire game. "Stop suggesting polymorph. So you're running around as some creature, so what?" Or, "Stop suggesting fleshrakers. So you're running around with a powerful dinosaur pal, so what?" Fun is subjective, so it'd probably be wise to stop making objective claims about what adds fun and what doesn't add fun.

As for the argument that it's feat intensive that's really an argument about comparative power level, and at that point you have to make a real argument about power level. I also certainly don't see why people should stop suggesting the feat. The only way that'd make sense is if we're just assuming that knowledge of the feat is so universal that discussion of it is pointless. If you agree that it's a powerful feat, the OP can read the thing and make assessments about it based on the knowledge we've given him. If you disagree that it's a powerful feat, you should make an actual argument supporting the claim, as I noted before.

Firechanter
2013-09-11, 04:56 AM
For buffer Clerics, one DMM application that's really great is DMM Chain. For buffs with Touch range, apply Reach Spell regularly, then DMM Chain. Here the congratulations are in order for buffing your entire party with a single spell slot; your friends will love you.

As for DMM Persist, it's true that it's feat intensive and eats your TUs, but there is a small number of spells that is really great to persist. Recitation is awesome, for instance, as it's both a buff with a good bonus type and a debuff for your enemies. And the aforementioned Mass Lesser Vigor, of course.
From level 13 on, you can persist Divine Favour and some other 1st level buffs without DMM, so that's not shabby either.

Persisting Divine Power is only necessary / advisable if you're really supposed to be the party's primary damage dealer. It helps you do the job, but it would really be better if someone else did it and let you focus on something else.

Gwendol
2013-09-11, 07:07 AM
As for the argument that it's feat intensive that's really an argument about comparative power level, and at that point you have to make a real argument about power level. I also certainly don't see why people should stop suggesting the feat. The only way that'd make sense is if we're just assuming that knowledge of the feat is so universal that discussion of it is pointless. If you agree that it's a powerful feat, the OP can read the thing and make assessments about it based on the knowledge we've given him. If you disagree that it's a powerful feat, you should make an actual argument supporting the claim, as I noted before.

I think the point to be made is that DMM Persist isn't for everyone. A cleric is still a cleric even without persisted spells, and may lead to power creep in the game. Furthermore, this player has already hit level six. To get to DMM persist will have to wait until level 12, which may never happen. Getting into a PrC however is a likely possibility at this stage.

Eldariel
2013-09-11, 07:24 AM
Persisting Divine Power is only necessary / advisable if you're really supposed to be the party's primary damage dealer. It helps you do the job, but it would really be better if someone else did it and let you focus on something else.

I dunno, the opportunity cost for becoming the frontliner as a Cleric is pretty low and doesn't meaningfully detract from your casty side so I'd say little reason not to go for it.