PDA

View Full Version : How much money for a 1st level minotaur? (3.5)

Zach J.
2013-09-10, 05:07 PM
My brothers are interested in giving D&D a try so I'm trying to work on a short dungeoncrawl for them and a friend of mine. One is a big minotaur fan and seemed interested in the minotaur class from Savage Species. I don't have the book, but everything can be found online...except starting gold. How much gold would you give a first level minotaur? Barbarian starting wealth? Druid starting wealth? Less?

ngilop
2013-09-10, 05:11 PM
id give them barbarian wealth without the caveat that all excess money is lost.

Zach J.
2013-09-10, 05:14 PM
Did you mean with the stipulation that all excess wealth is lost? That doesn't really seem fair.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-09-10, 05:16 PM
So wait, we're talking about the Monster Class from SS, not the LA +0 from DLCS, right?

But yeah. Money as ECL or class (at first level).

ngilop
2013-09-10, 05:19 PM
yes that is what I meant or maybe not..

I thought the barbarian lost all excess wealth at 1st level?

if not then never mind just give him regular Bard wealth. as the monster races as classes are IMO under powered, he is gonna need all the help he can get

Zach J.
2013-09-10, 05:31 PM
So wait, we're talking about the Monster Class from SS, not the LA +0 from DLCS, right?

But yeah. Money as ECL or class (at first level).

Yes, that's correct. The thing is his class is minotaur and there's nothing listed online for starting wealth for a first level minotaur. I think I'll just give him barbarian starting gold.

KillianHawkeye
2013-09-10, 07:29 PM
I thought the barbarian lost all excess wealth at 1st level?

Where in the Great Wheel did you hear that nonsense? :smallconfused:

Maybe in older editions, but it's certainly not true in 3.anything.

Maginomicon
2013-09-10, 08:26 PM
You should probably rebuild the Minotaur class based on its 3.5 monster counterpart. Savage Species is a 3.0 book, and the 3.5 monsters are different from their 3.0 version.

Zach J.
2013-09-10, 08:34 PM
I think I'll stick with the class as it's written. It looks the same as the 3.5 minotaur.

holywhippet
2013-09-10, 08:51 PM
Where in the Great Wheel did you hear that nonsense? :smallconfused:

Maybe in older editions, but it's certainly not true in 3.anything.

Closest I've seem is a DM ruling that any starting wealth you don't turn into items gets halved based on the theory that you find items as you adventure get sold at half price. That was for a higher than level 1 start though.

Ignominia
2013-09-10, 10:02 PM
Or just skip the SS write up entirely and use the Dragonlance Minotaur, as Kuulvheysoon suggested.

All the Minotaur flavour with none of the Savage Species after taste!

Zach J.
2013-09-11, 01:51 AM
Or just skip the SS write up entirely and use the Dragonlance Minotaur, as Kuulvheysoon suggested.

All the Minotaur flavour with none of the Savage Species after taste!

Is the Dragonlance Minotaur available for free online? Anything I have to pirate doesn't count.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-09-11, 09:37 AM
Well, I certainly wouldn't go around pirating stuff... but I'd let these guys do it for me (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7161).