PDA

View Full Version : Most wands ready to use

Lightlawbliss
2013-09-10, 05:15 PM
For a Blastificer I am working on, I'm trying to have the most wands I can ready to use at any given time.

What i'm currently looking at (mundane only so far) is:

In each hand:

longbow

elvencraft 1

close fighting blade

wand chamber
wand chamber

elvencraft 2

close fighting blade

wand chamber
wand chamber

bowblade

close fighting blade

wand chamber
wand chamber

close fighting blade

wand chamber

wand chamber

rest of me:

wrist blade 1

wand chamber
close fighting blade

wand chamber
wrist blade 2

wand chamber
close fighting blade

wand chamber
elbow blade 1

wand chamber
close fighting blade

wand chamber
elbow blade 2

wand chamber
close fighting blade

wand chamber
knee blade 1

wand chamber
close fighting blade

wand chamber
knee blade 1

wand chamber
close fighting blade

wand chamber
toe blade 1

wand chamber
close fighting blade

wand chamber
toe blade 2

wand chamber
close fighting blade

wand chamber
Buckler 1

wand chamber
close fighting blade

wand chamber
Buckler 2

wand chamber
close fighting blade

wand chamber
weighted cloak

wand chamber
close fighting blade

wand chamber

two questions:

Is this all within the rules?
Am I forgetting anything?

Edit: for those that want it, sources.
elvencraft and close fighting blade: RotW
wrist, elbow, knee, and toe blades: CS

Quiddle
2013-09-10, 08:44 PM
just fyi are you familiar with the rods of many wands and metamagic wand grips?

Lightlawbliss
2013-09-11, 12:27 AM
no, where are they?

Sith_Happens
2013-09-11, 12:49 AM
As a rule of thumb, weapons cannot have modifications unless they have a solid hilt or handle that is at least 6 inches in length.

Most of the weapons you want to use are suspect.

Lightlawbliss
2013-09-11, 01:02 AM
Most of the weapons you want to use are suspect.

ok, just brought this up with DM and he is letting me go ahead with it if I so desire for just a bit more cost, effectively adding the extra length needed when needed.

ben-zayb
2013-09-11, 01:13 AM
If I were given that option, I'd probably just roll with a kobold Multiweapon Fighting dervish and spam wraithstrike.

Lightlawbliss
2013-09-11, 01:19 AM
If I were given that option, I'd probably just roll with a kobold Multiweapon Fighting dervish and spam wraithstrike.

That would be tempting if wraithstrike wasn't on the perm ban list, but I digress.

Incorrect
2013-09-11, 01:28 AM
Wand Bracer from Dungeonscape.
A bracer with 3 quick release wands that spring into your hand with a swift action.

With BAB +1 you can draw a weapon as part of a move action; craft a bandoleer filled with different wands to choose from?
Not exactly "at any given time" but could fit your concept.

Gnomish quickrazors with wand chamber?
I dont actually know the rules for these though.

Lightlawbliss
2013-09-11, 08:57 AM
Wand Bracer from Dungeonscape.
A bracer with 3 quick release wands that spring into your hand with a swift action.
My copy says 5. It also says full round to put it back in.

With BAB +1 you can draw a weapon as part of a move action; craft a bandoleer filled with different wands to choose from?
Not exactly "at any given time" but could fit your concept.
My concept would more likely to have weapons with loaded wand chambers in the bandoleer. Still something to think about.

Gnomish quickrazors with wand chamber?
I dont actually know the rules for these though.
Gnomish quickrazors, iirc, require proficiency for the free action draw.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-11, 09:00 AM
My copy says 5. It also says full round to put it back in.

To reload it. Just drop it and pick it up later.

Also, relevant: http://www.pifro.com/pro/view.php?id=5

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-11, 09:03 AM
Spiked Gauntlets would get you another two wands, you keep the wands in specially prepared grooves that run along the upper part of your forearms.

One question though, why do you need so many wands? In combat one or two are usually enough and out of it you have the time to look for them in your handy haversack/efficient quiver.

Segev
2013-09-11, 09:05 AM
I'm still a fan of Servant Horde: A small army of invisible "butlers" to serve as wand caddies. "Give me the level 8 fireball," says the wizard, and the servant holding it hands it to him as a free action.

Lightlawbliss
2013-09-11, 09:13 AM
Spiked Gauntlets would get you another two wands, you keep the wands in specially prepared grooves that run along the upper part of your forearms.

Tx

One question though, why do you need so many wands? In combat one or two are usually enough and out of it you have the time to look for them in your handy haversack/efficient quiver.
It is another method to have all the options "in hand" at once. It isn't that I'm going to use them all, it's that I don't know which one (s) I will want to use when the time comes.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-11, 09:48 AM
I'm still a fan of Servant Horde: A small army of invisible "butlers" to serve as wand caddies. "Give me the level 8 fireball," says the wizard, and the servant holding it hands it to him as a free action.

Bonus points for calling them "Jeeves" and dressing them up in golf caddy or bellboy outfits.

MesiDoomstalker
2013-09-11, 10:28 AM
I love Wand Bracers. Pissed the GM off enough with my Wand of Fog Cloud he built a rival for my character who focused on Disarming to remove my Wand of Fog Cloud, and then force me to eat AoO to retrieve my spare from my pack (and then lose it again). He forgot I had a Wand Bracer and it was packed with both a Wand of Slow and Wand of Shatter. One Swift Action and Charge of Shatter later, I resumed Fog Clouding everything in sight.

Icarusthefallen
2013-09-11, 01:49 PM
I have never built one of these characters but I am certainly getting interested in trying one. Can anyone give me an example build and a quick "how-to" please?

Lightlawbliss
2013-09-11, 01:58 PM
I have never built one of these characters but I am certainly getting interested in trying one. Can anyone give me an example build and a quick "how-to" please?
your go to for quick handbook lookup.
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=399.0

Please don't try to steal threads.

Quiddle
2013-09-11, 10:47 PM
Sorry about the late reply, meta magic wand grips are a 6,000gp item that lets you use a metamagic feat that you know through a wand by consuming additional charges and not changing the lvl(one charge per lvl that would be added) and the rod of many wand is a 27,000gp wondrous item that requires a full round action to load/unload, holds up to three wands, and can as a full round action activate each one of them(this drains charges from each wand = to the # of loaded wands). I hope that helps :smallsmile:.

edit: the rod of many wand is from Complete Mage and so are the meta magic wand grips.

theIrkin
2013-09-11, 11:26 PM
the elbow, knee, etc blades are all weapons that have to be drawn to be considered active. so you don't count as being armed with them when you have another weapon in your hand. that's the way i read it, because they extend when you need to use them. your game may be different, but i wouldn't let you count all of them as armed at once.

Tvtyrant
2013-09-12, 12:37 AM
The easier way to do this IMO is to just get a ton of throwing knives and pick up the Quick Draw feat (make them Gnomish Quickrazors if you are a Gnome.) Draw whatever wand you need as a free action and then drop it when you need to draw another, picking them up after the fight.

Madcrafter
2013-09-12, 01:01 AM
Especially as a blastificer, you really don't need more than one, maybe two wands for combat. Your metamagic feats can do the variations.

If you really need to draw a wand that isn't in your bracelet, or what have you, just eat the "as part of a move action". It's not like you usually need it for other stuff (unless you have a particular move action item to abuse). Drop 'em when you need to switch. Save money on your wand sheathes, and make more wands.

If you really want to continue with your current line of thought though, maybe spike all the things?

(Also, you'll look really weird with 6 inch blades sticking out of your body everywhere).

Lightlawbliss
2013-09-12, 08:32 AM
Especially as a blastificer, you really don't need more than one, maybe two wands for combat. Your metamagic feats can do the variations.

If you really need to draw a wand that isn't in your bracelet, or what have you, just eat the "as part of a move action". It's not like you usually need it for other stuff (unless you have a particular move action item to abuse). Drop 'em when you need to switch. Save money on your wand sheathes, and make more wands.

This isn't meant to be optimized. I know how to optimize a artificer, but optimized artificer tends to be the bane of everyone's existence.

If you really want to continue with your current line of thought though, maybe spike all the things?!

(Also, you'll look really weird cool with 6 inch blades sticking out of your body everywhere).
altered to fit my opinion