PDA

View Full Version : Weird Villain Concepts

Azreal
2013-09-10, 05:48 PM
I'm building a dungeon crawl (Pathfinder) for my group and if it goes well it might end up being a few sessions long. However the final boss I'm feeling a lich but I don't want to use any ordinary base race for it. I want something slightly more unusual, and any form of Dragon is out of the question (I tend to use them more then I should)

Ideas I'm playing with are:
Half-Fiend/Elf
Half-Celestial/Elf
Half-Fiend/Aasimar
Half-Celestial/Tiefling
Dhampir
Kitsune
Kobold

Anyone else have any other ideas I'm pretty open to anything doesn't even have to be a Lich either, as long as we don't use a dragon.

John Longarrow
2013-09-10, 07:44 PM
Evil Pixie.

In 3.5 I'd build as a warlock/sorcerer/Eldrith Thurge. Lots of low level spells + warlock fun (like animate dead at will) from an invisible caster that can silence themselves as they fly around.

Pokonic
2013-09-10, 07:47 PM
!!Death Knight!! version of good ol' Bearington; as for fluff, a former tribal shamen of a primitive bear god that was revived and forced to live in a area filled with bear hides and corpses.

Zombulian
2013-09-10, 07:58 PM
The Metal Dreamer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121334).
Or take a look into the Dragon Magazine #335 at the Charlatan PrC. Hilarious for a BBEG who just pretends to be an Archmage. "Oh I'm sorry, but I've made myself immune to anti-magic fields. Go ahead and try something else. MUAHAHAHA!" When he doesn't even cast spells.

RustyArmor
2013-09-10, 08:35 PM
One of the latest dungeons I did was a goblin cave, they all kept taking but this "Big terrifying monster" and "It does horrible things to us!" The PCs were all set up for some crazy fight with a demon or something and in the end ..... it was a drag queen Orc.

Azreal
2013-09-10, 08:43 PM
One of the latest dungeons I did was a goblin cave, they all kept taking but this "Big terrifying monster" and "It does horrible things to us!" The PCs were all set up for some crazy fight with a demon or something and in the end ..... it was a drag queen Orc.

That's hilarious but not the kind of weird I was going for. :p

Chalkarts
2013-09-10, 09:06 PM
Go with a swarm of something.

As an old friend once said, you may be a badass, but a hundred kobolds will kill ya.

LOTRfan
2013-09-10, 09:26 PM
A Hornhead Saurial Soulknife that has a variant Revived Fossil template (one that allows him/her to keep his/her intelligence) slapped on. Now you have a living, skeletal bone dinosaur carrying around a lightsaber.

Or the ghostly remains of a Warforged Warlock.

avr
2013-09-10, 09:39 PM
A grossly obese halfling bloatmage carried in a sedan chair.

Azreal
2013-09-10, 10:31 PM
A Hornhead Saurial Soulknife that has a variant Revived Fossil template (one that allows him/her to keep his/her intelligence) slapped on. Now you have a living, skeletal bone dinosaur carrying around a lightsaber.

Or the ghostly remains of a Warforged Warlock.

That does sound really good, I'd have t convert to Pathfinder is all

A grossly obese halfling bloatmage carried in a sedan chair.

I've played Overlord. :p

Humble Master
2013-09-10, 10:32 PM
Make a Wizard that is obsessed with the gastrointestinal system and then refluff his spells or homebrew some. For example:
Explosive Diarrhea - Inflicts damage to target and nauseates people in a 30ft cone
Breaking of Wind - Gust of wind but with funnier sound effects
Colon Spray - Color Spray but replace stun with sickened and blinded with nauseated
Wall of Poo - Less HP and hardness but nauseates those who get near it
Web of Snot - Web but from the nose
Your players won't know what hit them.

Occasional Sage
2013-09-11, 12:02 AM
I'm building a dungeon crawl (Pathfinder) for my group and if it goes well it might end up being a few sessions long. However the final boss I'm feeling a lich but I don't want to use any ordinary base race for it. I want something slightly more unusual, and any form of Dragon is out of the question (I tend to use them more then I should)

Ideas I'm playing with are:
Half-Fiend/Elf
Half-Celestial/Elf
Half-Fiend/Aasimar
Half-Celestial/Tiefling
Dhampir
Kitsune
Kobold

Anyone else have any other ideas I'm pretty open to anything doesn't even have to be a Lich either, as long as we don't use a dragon.

I recommend a Quickling (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/fey/quickling) BBEG, aided by lower-level quickling rogue henchthings who blaze through the party, tumbling to avoid AoO, and stealing every important item the players have.

Zombulian
2013-09-11, 12:56 AM
Make a Wizard that is obsessed with the gastrointestinal system and then refluff his spells or homebrew some. For example:
Explosive Diarrhea - Inflicts damage to target and nauseates people in a 30ft cone
Breaking of Wind - Gust of wind but with funnier sound effects
Colon Spray - Color Spray but replace stun with sickened and blinded with nauseated
Wall of Poo - Less HP and hardness but nauseates those who get near it
Web of Snot - Web but from the nose
Your players won't know what hit them.

Poop and butts are always crowd pleasers.

Uhtred
2013-09-11, 01:59 AM
Jester from Dragon Compendium combined with Harsaff from Monster Manual III. Darth Maul, with the Joker's personality, and the Sandman's superpowers.

Waker
2013-09-11, 02:27 AM
Aside from the fact that you want something odd and not a dragon, you aren't giving us all that much to work with, but I'll modify some of your original ideas. How about
Kitsune Witch Lich. Patron- Deception, Time or Trickery.
Modeled a bit after the old legends concerning beautiful women who end up secretly being monsters. The party enters a dungeon which is a vast underground forest. Light is provided by bio-luminescent fungi, a fine mist pervades the air and eerie shapes hover at the corner of their eyes. The keeper of this unseen paradise is a lovely woman with a subdued feral aspect. She welcomes the party but eventually their nosey habits get the better of them as their figure out the various illusions that layer the area. They may eventually come to the conclusion that she's a kitsune. What might surprise them to learn is that she's been haunting this particular lair for several centuries, using captured prey to provide sustenance for her ghostly garden.

John Longarrow
2013-09-11, 05:47 AM
Depending on how you want to work it out, an Imp beguiler can be a load of fun to mess with a party. Very hard to nail down with loads of annoyance.

For a more melee-centric BBEG, Adamantium Golem that can disguise self at will. It does really look like a lich until you start fighting it.

Mr Adventurer
2013-09-11, 07:12 AM
Imp Beguiler? Pff. Ghost Beguiler is where it's at. With ghostly possession power as well. Think of the shenanigans!

Azreal
2013-09-11, 07:52 AM
Aside from the fact that you want something odd and not a dragon, you aren't giving us all that much to work with

I'm pretty much open to a lot of ideas and different directions to take them. That being said, I really do enjoy your idea and it will definitely see use at some point.

unseenmage
2013-09-11, 12:01 PM
A little old lady who desperately wants to not die. She's not a bad guy exactly, she'll just do anything to live. Lichdom is her goal. Immortality awaits. And she believes she's earned it too.

That or some Shapesand hit with Permanency-ed Animate Objects and Awaken Construct. Shifty BBEG is shifty. Drop a lot of Wis boost items on him and watch him go.

John Longarrow
2013-09-11, 01:57 PM
For a "You never saw this coming" kinda villain, try an intelligent magic item that is controlling a powerful fighter type. Think "Hill giant with levels in warblade" with an amulet that is lawful evil and bent on world domination.

For a "Silly, but you never saw this coming" kinda villian, take a goldfish. Awaken said goldfish. Goldfish takes levels in psion. Goldfish dies, but comes back as a ghost to fulfill its wish of drowning all those horrible air-breathers who've been opressing his kind. Said goldfish takes leadership and has an undead cohort working for him.

Talderas
2013-09-11, 03:24 PM
Tentacle Man.

All his minion mooks are nymphs and dryads.

the OOD
2013-09-11, 04:36 PM
John longarrow's evil pixie has now been nominated to win this thread.

(gnome/halfling/human) inventor with crazy DIY traps guarding his workshop. in the final fight he uses smoksticks, flashpellets, thunderstones springwalls, and the like, taking advantage of the large, cluttered workspace with small spaces and dim light to hide. he immediately smokes the party and hides, letting them search for him on trapped grounds, being opportunistically attacked, ensnared, or blinded.

bonus points for use of inhalation poison and/or a weak golem that was hidden at the start of the fight.

gnome inventor is cliched, but a mini-boss style villain using misc starting gear is weird and memorable

morkendi
2013-09-11, 05:02 PM
A sorcadin Gish lich who misguided notion makes him think he is doing good.

John Longarrow
2013-09-11, 08:38 PM
OK, had a really weird idea while I was driving today. Take a lich. Have him turn his skull into crystal. He then has a glass blower make a hollow glass container inside his skull. He then makes zombies out of freshly dead fish that have been permanently gentle reposed, drops them in water, and becomes incorporeal. He moves so that the fish and some water mostly fill his now waterproof skull. He becomes corporeal again.

Now you've got a lich with undead fish swimming in the fishbowl he uses for a head. If this doesn't buy you some "WTF?!?" time at the table when you unveil him, I'm not sure what will..

Unless you go with the pixie I mentioned earlier and include her duplex that is inside the skeleton of a giant. Being a duplex, she rents the other half out to a nice monkey couple that's been awakened/reincarnated. :smallbiggrin:

Pokonic
2013-09-11, 09:11 PM
A half-troll hydra weather-themed shaman.

Not how you think it would be, actually.

Take a storm giant, add the half-troll template, and give the thing five or so heads as according to the multiheaded template.

Congratulations, now you have a party killer.:smallbiggrin:

Manly Man
2013-09-11, 10:25 PM
An Awakened velociraptor Cleric (https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/106843967/RaptorJesus.jpg) who becomes a lich (http://luduscarcerum.blogspot.com/2012/04/and-we-wonder-why-people-think-d-is.html).

Mutazoia
2013-09-11, 10:39 PM
This (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mit/20071011d) (also known as this (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Alhoon_lich))

Azreal
2013-09-12, 01:11 PM
An Awakened velociraptor Cleric (https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/106843967/RaptorJesus.jpg) who becomes a lich (http://luduscarcerum.blogspot.com/2012/04/and-we-wonder-why-people-think-d-is.html).

Zombie Raptor Jesus does sound legit. Lol

Icarusthefallen
2013-09-12, 01:19 PM
Zombie Raptor Jesus does sound legit. Lol

Sometimes I wish there was a "LIKE" button on here ;)