PDA

View Full Version : New GM All Flesh Must Be Eaten

Dienekes
2013-09-10, 06:14 PM
So, I'm going to be running a campaign of AFMBE in a couple of weeks. I have never played this game before, but it looks intuitive enough. I was wondering if there was anything that I needed to be aware of before I get started that are not immediately obvious.

Thanks in advance.

Black Jester
2013-09-11, 10:58 AM
AS far as I know, the Unisystem in general includes only very few pitfalls, and they usually occur with the real magic system (not included in AFMBE basic), so it should usually work most of the time and if you are unsure, just allow no Inspired as PCs. In general, the character types aren't balanced (as if that weren't obvious). Inspired are MUCH stronger than survivors (yes, the powers are that good), Survivors are better in every regard than Norms. That is intentional after all. You can either abandon the balancing dogma for this game and let everybody play what he or she wants (in which case, the rules for 'learning by aging' actually make sense, or you use one character type for everybody.

I personally think that the skill list is a bit too specific OR PCs gain too few skill points, but that's my personal opinion, and I am that guy who ends up with eight or so 1 rank skills, because "it makes really sense that he has a rank in weightlifting; how is he supposed to have above average Strength if he's not working out?"

Otherwise, there are a few genre pitfalls, like "a zombie story isn't really about zombies, it is about people" (and so is a made for TV melodrama, would you want to play one of those too?) or a boring zombie model. You have the tool kit, so make use of it. If you use the Romero standards (who actually can and will use simple tools) as the most familiar stock zombie type, at least mix it up somehow ("didn't you know? the best way to beat the undead is by playing classic music. It makes them calm and placid") .

And never call them zombies. It sounds silly.

Beleriphon
2013-09-11, 03:13 PM
("didn't you know? the best way to beat the undead is by playing classic music. It makes them calm and placid") .

I personally prefer pop music. I makes them dance.

Black Jester
2013-09-11, 03:36 PM
I personally prefer pop music. I makes them dance.

Yes, but you never know if you are not going to be ambushed ambushed by a Vincent Price narrator voice.