PDA

View Full Version : The Mystery Spot (IC)

josienoms
2013-09-10, 07:44 PM
It's a cold November evening in 1953, on the docks in St. Ignace. Fall and winter are harsh seasons in northern Michigan, and the bitter chill of the wind bites to your bones.

Each of you received a letter, asking you to come here, on the shores of Lake Huron, at this time, on this date. It was signed, "Barnes" a man you all know. He's a member of the Cabal who claims the Mystery Spot, and one of the most respected Mages in the city.

A brief time after you've all arrived, a figure walks out onto the dock. As it draws nearer, you see a tall, middle-aged man, with flecks of grey peppering his dark hair. You recognize him as Barnes. His hands are in his pockets, and he keeps his head down, until he walks up to you. He takes one brief look around, then, his hands shaking, lights a cigarette, and begins to speak.

"You're all probably wondering why I've asked you to come here. Some of you, it's because I know I can trust you. Others, because I'm pretty sure you're in business against the people I can't trust." He takes a long drag on his cigarette.

"I'll cut to the chase. My Cabal is dead. I'm the only one left. And I need your help."

Shadowy
2013-09-10, 08:06 PM
Meridiem, with a small amount of assistance from time magic, knows what "schedules" mean far more then most. Far more importantly though, she was prepared, with magics strung about her in case of an ambush. It didn't happen often, but even one enemy of the awakened preparing the perfect killing zone and getting the bait to just walk into it unprepared is too many.

She hangs back from the others, and addresses Mr. Barnes. "Why, Barnes, I'm flattered either way, but this raises the issue of what kind of help you require, doesn't it? Far more importantly, if your cabal is dead, why are you the only one left?

Trust and kindness had their places in making friends, while paranoia keeps allies breathing.

horus42
2013-09-10, 09:50 PM
The Gentleman had no difficulty in discerning which group he and his apprentice belonged to. Trust was a commodity that no amount of cash could buy, despite how much he wished to the contrary. He stood there in silence, dressed in his immaculate suit, which stretched slightly over his stocky frame. He turned a large silver dollar in his fingers as he contemplated his answer.

"Part of the answer's obvious. He needs protection. Otherwise, my associate and I" he gestures towards Godric. "Wouldn't be here. Barnes doesn't trust me farther than he could throw me. As for why he's still alive, I'll let Barnes answer that himself."

Shieldheart
2013-09-10, 11:24 PM
Godric puffed on his cigarette, watching the proceedings with a mild air of concern. His left hand was wrapped tightly around his wand, just in case. He had learned quickly that being prepared for any eventuality was practically required to function in Awakened society and he practiced that lesson assiduously.

He glanced at the Gentleman as the man introduced him as his 'associate'. He detested the necessity of apprenticing under a man like him, but another thing he had learned was that when it came to acquiring power, one had to compromise. He only had to keep in mind why he was doing this to keep from becoming like his master.

"And what exactly is it that you need protection from, Mr. Barnes?" He added. "Just what killed your cabal? And where are the bodies?" He felt that information was rather important.

Hyooz
2013-09-11, 01:45 AM
Another grey-haired man, though he otherwise appeared decidedly too young for it, waited patiently, apparently doodling in a small leather-bound journal as he waited for Barnes and the others to arrive. He looked up when Barnes arrived, and began a simple ritual of putting his journal away in a small pouch on his back - still listening intently of course, as the others spoke in turn. "And really, Barnes, I thought I made it quite clear that my sanctum was available to you should you require it. I'm sure you had your reasons and, frankly I'm sure they were altruistic, but I'm almost insulted you didn't think to at least ask." Hefting his walking stick into his hand, Jericho rapped the end against the dock once before placing it on his shoulder. "Are the perpetrators at least dead or is that part of this particular chilly meeting?"

18th Avenger
2013-09-11, 04:35 AM
"And if they ain't, I take it you want us do something about it?"

This was said with cold fatalism by the fourth member (http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s461/Stormwaters_RP/SmarmyGit_zpsf80dcab9.jpg) of the gathering. He was busying himself by huddling in his leather jacket against the chill and lighting a foul cheroot, rather than the typical Lucky Strike. He'd gained a taste for in some forgotten battlefield thanks to a man long dead from dysentery. In some way, it was to honor him, but that was a story for another day.

The fourth man, who was only called 'Spectre' for reason of his silence, puffed lazily on his cheroot as he eyed the group. As far as he could tell, he was the odd man out in his work jeans, leather jacket and oil-stained hands. Spectre already had a feeling things were not going to go well.

josienoms
2013-09-11, 12:08 PM
Barnes nervously finishes his cigarette, and tosses the butt into the lake.

"I don't know who killed them. The perpetrator hid her face in shadow. I barely escaped with my life, and I've been making sure I haven't been followed. What I can guess is why she killed them: over the Mystery Spot." He looks over his shoulder again, seeming out of reflex.

"Which brings me to why I've contacted you all. In exchange for helping me find the people responsible for my friends' deaths... I'm willing to share the Spot. To form a new Cabal, essentially."

He turns to Jericho, a sad smile on his face. "Oh believe me, I thought of it. But I thought meeting in a neutral place might be best. I appreciate your offer, though."

Shieldheart
2013-09-11, 01:44 PM
Godric felt ashamed of the surge of greed he felt when Barnes basically offered them the Mystery Spot. The man was desperate; he had suffered a great loss. He deserved more than callous calculation. Perhaps the Gentleman was rubbing off on him more than he cared to admit.

"My condolences, Mr. Barnes,he said finally, somewhat belatedly. Death touched him less fully since he had Awakened; he knew with certainty now that Heaven awaited the good, but he let himself feel the small pang of loss at the death of so many other mages.

As for his offer to form a new Cabal...Godric looked around him. Of the others, besides the Gentleman, he only knew Meridiem and that only as an acquaintance. He could hardly make a fully informed decision about joining a pact with them. But the chance to gain a measure of control over the Spot...it was too tempting. "I for one accept your offer." He said firmly. He knew the others would make the same decision. No mage would turn away such power willingly, especially if it was going to other mages.

"You said 'she' killed your friends. Was it another mage then? How do you know it was a woman?" And had one single person taken out an entire Cabal? That was...daunting.

Shadowy
2013-09-11, 03:16 PM
"Also important: How did they die, where was it, and is it safe to go back?"

Meridiem is thinking, trying to get a coherent picture. A plan is beginning to form in her mind.

horus42
2013-09-11, 03:25 PM
The Gentleman thinks it over for a moment. The offer's certainly tempting, but there has to be a catch. Unless he's really that desperate... In the end, he says,

"I accept as well. I'll provide you with as much protection as my wealth and organization can offer. Rest easy, Barnes. You're safe now."

If it wasn't for the smug grin of satisfaction on the Gentleman's face, his words would have been believable. As it was, the blatant power-grab on his part was all too evident.

josienoms
2013-09-11, 08:42 PM
Barnes lights up another cigarette, his hands no longer shaking. "Thank you, Godric." He smiles slightly. "I don't know if she was a Mage or not. I assume she was, as her face was obscured, covered in shadow. But from the shape of her body, especially her legs, I could tell that she was a woman.

My friends weren't killed with magic, though. It all happened at our Sanctum, just outside of town. I was just getting home, when I heard gunshots from inside. By the time I got through the door, they were all dead. She fired a few times at me, but luckily I was able to escape. More than likely, someone's watching the house." Each of you remembers that Barnes is a Guardian of the Veil, and is known for being slightly paranoid. Though his intuitions are often right.

He scoffs as the Gentleman speaks. "Believe me, if I wasn't desperate and afraid for my life, I wouldn't have come to you." His voice practically drips with contempt.

18th Avenger
2013-09-11, 08:51 PM
"'M sorry too."

Spectre knew what it was like to lose friends. Part and parcel of his youth, after all. He looked at the Gentleman, all smiles and promises. Even without his special Sight, the veteran could tell a politician's promise when he heard it. Which is why he grinned when he heard the venom in Barnes' response.

It was when Barnes made the offer, Spectre stood straighter, the cold was not as much as a problem. From what he knew from other 'Awakened' who happened to have bike clubs, The Spot was a place folk could use the fullness of their power with no ill effects. He remembered the first time he tried to stretch that might.

But it wasn't for power that he wanted. Spectre was fine as he was. What he wanted...

"I'm in, sir. With what little I can do, I'm in."

horus42
2013-09-11, 09:48 PM
For the first time since arriving, the Gentleman frowns. "I'm not so sure I like your tone, Barnes. I could just as easily have said no. I know that you only want my resources, and not particularly my help, and I'm willing to provide them. We should at least try to be civil towards one another." He pockets his coin, and straightens the jacket of his dark grey, pinstriped suit, then takes a few steps towards Barnes, his hand extended.

"It's not like you're making a deal with the Devil, after all."

Hyooz
2013-09-12, 02:42 AM
"Gentlemen, gentlemen, please. Surely all this incivility is a result of these horrid conditions." He gestured vaguely toward the sky, as if anyone there might be confused about exactly what he meant. "I'm sure these murders and the Spot are of great interest to all of us but, frankly, if we're going to bash out the details of some kind of... agreement I'd rather to it indoors over a pot of tea."

He stood straight, boosting himself off the wall he was leaning against and putting weight down on his stick. "The past isn't going anywhere, so please, let's retreat to my sanctum and finish these arrangements. From there, we can do the necessary scrying and see what the murder scene has to tell us - past and present."

Shadowy
2013-09-12, 06:04 AM
She nods at Jerico. "Exactly. Time magic is an easy solution to uncertainty."

She looks around at the rest of the group. It's...so uncertain. Guardians aren't that trustworthy, she should know. But there's so many mages here, and if she says no now, who'll watch over this mystery spot? She has to help. It's not hubris, it's preventing hubris! So, that makes it alright.

"I'm with you. This still merits quite a lot of investigation though. ....Speaking of which...."

She reaches down, touching Custodes and drawing a piece of mana to cast divination.

OOC:
Drawing a point of mana from the artifact to cast Divination on herself. I get a question per success.

Questions:
If we went to the house today, would we be spied upon?
Would the spy be awakened or a servant of awakened powers?
Would it be dangerous?

9, 10, 8, 9, 2. 10 again 10, 9
Yowza, wasted a few there with not having enough questions to ask.

18th Avenger
2013-09-12, 08:12 AM
Spectre looked at the Gentleman's outstretched hand and back to the silently fuming Barnes. As much as none of the others put him at any kind of ease, it wouldn't help matters if he'd made things worse by pissing off some rich guy who could quite possible alter reality to his liking.

With his smoking cheroot, the roughest of the bunch tried to gesture to Barnes that he ought to take the hand and make nice in the meantime. A fair amount of work for a nod.

josienoms
2013-09-12, 01:26 PM
Barnes frowns, but shakes the Gentleman's hand. "Alright. Let's just find out who did this and avenge my friends." He sighs. "And thank you, Jericho. I'll take you up on that offer. We can at least get out of the cold."

To answer your questions:

Yes, you would be watched,
The spy would be Awakened,
and it wouldn't be dangerous immediately, but would become so soon after you arrived.

Shadowy
2013-09-12, 02:10 PM
Belle grins happily, and declares "Future informant~" in a sing-song voice.

Her eyes light up. "Oh, let's hurry along to your sanctum quickly now, I'm getting ideas~"

Then she straightens up, remembering herself. "Oh, and we need to clear out the murder site before police investigate, or a sleeper stumbles in or something. Protect the unenlightened from magic and all that."

horus42
2013-09-12, 03:56 PM
The Gentleman nods and smiles, then starts to walk back towards the shore. "Let's get a move on, then. We have a lot of work to do."

josienoms
2013-09-12, 06:39 PM
You all pile into your respective vehicles and make your way to Jericho's Sanctum. Eventually, you find yourselves sitting around the kitchen table, and Barnes scribbles something on a slip of paper.

"Who's going to be doing the scrying?"

Shadowy
2013-09-12, 06:45 PM
Meridiem raises her hand. "Time mage. I can handle temporal scrying. Find a Mastigos if you want Space though."

18th Avenger
2013-09-13, 10:57 AM
Spectre, as he'd been calling himself this past year, merely tried to look like he'd belong in this rather well-appointed room, while most of what people were saying was going over his head.

It wasn't as if he'd had a bad education. Depending on what you'd dreamed off, various Mages and teachers had explained, you would specialize in the various arcana that made up what he'd previously thought of as magic. With enough training, they added, one could probably learn them all. Since then, Spectre figured out he walked the so-called Path of the Mighty and, thusly, would specialize in the raw stuff of magic and force.

He decided to look at it as some sort of learning experience. The wiry biker thought that manipulating time would be pretty sweet thing to learn.

Shieldheart
2013-09-13, 11:37 AM
Godric frowned as Barnes tersely described what had happened. Gunshots. He would let the others do their scrying - how he used he could do it himself - but he was already certain it was either another mage or a mage's minion that had done the deed. There was no way a Sleeper could take out two full-blown mages with just a gun.

He watched with mingled amusement and impatience as the little drama between Barnes and the Gentleman unfolded. Barnes had invited the man and offered to form a new cabal with him; this was just for show.

Sure enough, it resolved itself soon enough. Godric nodded silently as the decision was made to gather at Jericho's sanctum and perform the scrying from there.

He settled himself at the table and sighed. Once he had mastered Matter, he fully intended to leave the Gentleman's association. Perhaps he would find someone to teach him Time magic.

"Let's not dally then." He said, looking from Belle to Jericho. "Acanthus and Mastigos. Work your magic."

Shadowy
2013-09-13, 01:39 PM
"Barnes is right, there's a spy watching building. An Awakened spy. If we brought him there I could use Postcognition to spy upon the event itself, or some other suitable link, such as the bodies."

"Now, I'm not going to advocate throwing caution to the wind, but I am going to say that we're a cabal of six, hopefully fairly competent mages, and that if we're quick, we could go in, find the willworker watching the building, grab them, and get out with a valuable source of information and a prisoner."

She pauses for a second, thinking.

"It's all somewhat reliant on what the scrying shows us, of course."

18th Avenger
2013-09-14, 09:36 AM
"And if the scrying does come up with something," Spectre began, a think cheroot being fiddled in his fingers. "I got trackin' covered." He smiled at the table before replacing the cheroot in a jacket pocket. Tempted as he was to smoke it (and possibly ruffle the Gentleman just a bit with foul Kentucky tobacco smoke), the Sanctum was a nice place and Jericho was a gracious host.

josienoms
2013-09-18, 09:22 PM
Jericho goes and gets a wide, shallow dish, and fills it with water. He places a hand on Barnes, then gets to the casting. The water shimmers, then comes into focus on Barnes' Sanctum. The bodies of his friends are still sitting there, with bullet wounds in their chests.

Flash is splayed out on the ground, a wand in his hand. Selene is slumped in a chair. It looks as though she died first, then Flash tried to fight once he realized the danger. There are also a few bullet holes in the wall, where the killer presumably shot at Barnes, but missed.

horus42
2013-09-19, 05:04 PM
The Gentleman looks at the scene, and shakes his head. "A pity, truly. Well now, Miss Belle, perhaps you could shed some light on how things got to be this way." He gestures towards the scrying window.

josienoms
2013-09-19, 07:49 PM
The view in the dish suddenly changes. Flash and Selene are sitting across from each other, talking. For a few moments, nothing happens, then a figure walks in from the other room. Just as Barnes said, their face is veiled by an amorphous blob of shadow beneath their hat, and from the shape of their body, they would appear to be a woman.

Flash stands and says, "Who the hell are you?"

In response, the woman pulls out a pistol, and shoots Selene. The Acanthus cries out as she slumps down in her chair. Flash grabs a wand from the table, and starts muttering in the High Speech. But before he can finish his spell, she fires a round into his head.

The door flies open, and Barnes emerges into the room. The shooter levels her gun at him and fires twice, but misses both times. Barnes vanishes from sight, and the killer does the same, but goes out the opposite door.

Shadowy
2013-09-19, 07:59 PM
Belle tuts, watching.

"No armor, sudden ambush, clearly an awakened who expected this kind of scrying........And we have to clear out that sanctum. The mysteries depend on it. Anyone got any ideas to get us info, or are we going in mostly blind?"

horus42
2013-09-19, 08:46 PM
"If Barnes doesn't object, I could summon their ghosts. We could talk directly with them, and find out if maybe they knew who could have done it."

He pauses, then looks to Barnes, apologetically. "You would need to provide me with their real names, of course."

josienoms
2013-09-19, 10:23 PM
"Absolutely not! God knows what you'd do with their souls when no one was watching."

He looks away, then starts to walk towards the door. "Meridiem is right. We need to clear out the Sanctum."

18th Avenger
2013-09-20, 12:43 AM
"Rough work?"

Spectre stood up next, following Barnes. The way he voiced the question was resigned. Even in the way he reached into his leather jacket to make sure his revolver was loaded. The ease of his actions were those of a man who had made violence his trade a long time ago.

Shieldheart
2013-09-20, 05:04 AM
Godric watched the proceedings grimly, flinching ever so slightly when the shots were fired and the two mages died. For all his bluster, death shook him. He stood with the others, shrugging at the Gentleman. "Don't take it personally." He told his teacher. "As for info..." He shook his head. "Mind, Time and Space are our best bets. At the site, I can read for spells the murderer might have left behind and try to counter them. From here, without Space, I can do little." He was irritated with his uselessness in this regard. Investigative magic was not his strong suit.

Shadowy
2013-09-20, 12:53 PM
Meridiem follows the senior Guardian, shaking her head and muttering something about souls for a moment. Then she addresses the rest of the cabal.

"Well, no sense in wasting time. Anyone want a bit of luck before we get there?"

josienoms
2013-09-20, 02:42 PM
Barnes goes with you all to the vehicles, and leads the way to his Sanctum. It's far outside of town, close to Father Marquette State Park. There's no other houses nearby, so no one could have heard the gunshots, or called the police.

When you arrive, the house appears just as it did while Jericho was scrying. The bodies appear to be untouched.

horus42
2013-09-20, 05:22 PM
The Gentleman looks around, taking in the details of the scene. It seems as though there's nothing they missed.

"You know, now that we're here, I could summon one of their ghosts without knowing their names. If that's alright with you, Barnes."

Shadowy
2013-09-20, 05:31 PM
"Calm down there. We know we've got an active awakened watching this place. Make sure your defenses are up and that it's safe to proceed before doing so."

Shieldheart
2013-09-21, 02:40 AM
"Let me see what I can make out. Maybe I can spot them." Godric said. He balled his hands into fists and took a deep breath, drawing Mana into him. He opened his eyes, now capable of seeing beneath the mundane to the shifting truth of the Supernal visible in the Fallen World. He looked about to see what he could find.

(OOC: Rolling for Mage Sight in the OOC thread.)

josienoms
2013-09-21, 10:12 PM
Upon activating his Supernal Vision, Godric notices several things. The lingering effects of the spells recently, and currently, active upon the Sanctum are evident to his eyes. The Death Arcanum was used here, when the killer covered her face in shadow, and the lingering resonance of the half-finished Forces spell Flash was preparing still glows around his wand.

In addition, he can sense not 1, but 2 scrying windows. The one that you all had used, and another which is still active.

Shieldheart
2013-09-22, 12:16 AM
"The killer used Death to hide her face," Godric remarked absently. "And we're being watched. There's another scrying window open and it's active."

He wove Mana and tried to strike the window down. The attempt failed. Godric grit his teeth. "Someone else care to have a go?"

Shadowy
2013-09-22, 11:34 AM
Belle refreshes her magic, having slight trouble with the armor.

josienoms
2013-09-22, 02:05 PM
The scrying window stays open, meaning that whoever is on the other end can still see everything you're doing.

Shieldheart
2013-09-22, 02:43 PM
Godric took a deep breath and tried again, trying to dispel the core energies of the scrying window. "Begone," he muttered under his breath, irritated that his first try had failed.

(Roll in OOC thread.)

josienoms
2013-09-22, 02:49 PM
The scrying window closes, giving you all time to do what you came for without being watched.

horus42
2013-09-22, 04:50 PM
"Well, now that we're not being watched, I'd say we use what time we have to get to the bottom of this."

He closes his eyes, and takes his coin from his pocket. With a deep breath, he begins casting a spell, sending out a call to all nearby ghosts, summoning the closest to appear before him.

josienoms
2013-09-22, 07:20 PM
A silvery, translucent figure shimmers into form right in front of the Gentleman. A woman, with long hair, and a bullet wound in her chest. Selene's ghost looks at you all, a sad smile on her face. "Oh Barnes, thank you for trying to help us."

"You'd do the same for me." He looks as though he's about to cry.

"Of course I would. And if there's anything I can do to help you catch the bitch who did this, I'll do it."

Shadowy
2013-09-22, 07:46 PM
Belle goes to search the sanctum, looking for anything magical that'd need to be concealed.

"Keep your eyes open, this situation is going to get ugly really quickly."

horus42
2013-09-22, 09:51 PM
The Gentleman smiles at the ghost. "Selene, darling, I'm glad you came. I wish we could have met under happier circumstances. Is there anything you can tell us about your murder, or your murderer?"

Shieldheart
2013-09-23, 02:34 AM
"I'll come with you," Godric said, casting a glance at the ghost of Selene. He didn't want to stay and see Barnes so shaken up. Besides, Belle could use the backup. He drew on his mana, preparing some basic spells.

18th Avenger
2013-09-23, 12:03 PM
With all the magic being woven around him, Spectre felt kind of left out. It also might have helped (or not) that the only thing he'd heard on the ride over was the wind roaring in his ears.

But that didn't mean he was in any way blind to what was happening. So all the careworn man in the leather jacket did was Open His Eyes. Maybe he would trip across something spark of higher life, the way his many teachers explained he could.

And ready his revolver in its chest holster. It paid to be prepared, after all.

josienoms
2013-09-23, 06:43 PM
Selene nods before she starts to speak. "I can tell you that we were prepared for it. That she managed to get through all of our defenses like they were nothing. She stole a few things to make it look like a robbery gone wrong, but she slipped up. After Barnes left, she let her mask fall. I saw her face. She's not a local, I can tell you that. I'd never seen her before. But she had short blonde hair, blue eyes, and was very pretty. Wore this deep red lipstick too. Then she vanished through a portal."

horus42
2013-09-23, 09:51 PM
"So she's likely working with a Cabal of her own. Though it begs the question, if she's not a local, then who is she? Are the rumors about Seers moving in true?"

josienoms
2013-09-25, 03:15 PM
In their search of the house, Belle and Godric don't find anything overtly supernatural that would need to be concealed.

However, on their way back, they are the first to notice the appearance of a shimmering doorway materializing near the back of the house.

Shadowy
2013-09-25, 03:38 PM
Belle assumes the worst. She instantly goes for cover, if possible, and draws her revolver, covering the point. She then clearly and calmly shouts a single word to the rest of the mages.

"Trouble!"

horus42
2013-09-25, 04:16 PM
The Gentleman hears Belle's shout, and draws his pistol from inside his suit's jacket. He dismisses the summoning that binds Selene to the material world, allowing her to go back to the peace of twilight, where the invading Mages hopefully wouldn't be able to reach her.

He then starts heading towards the back of the house, cautiously but quickly.

Shieldheart
2013-09-26, 12:22 AM
"Superb,"Godric muttered. He took cover as well and lifted his hand. I really need to get a gun.He thought idly. For now, magic would have to do.

18th Avenger
2013-09-27, 12:42 PM
Hearing the cry, Spectre followed after the others, drawing his revolver as he looked for the closest piece of cover. A difficult proposition, given where they were, but the biker knew every little bit helped.

"Rough work," he muttered once again before aiming his pistol at the glowing doorway his mind was telling him shouldn't be there.

josienoms
2013-09-29, 09:19 PM
Out of the shimmering doorway appear 3 figures: 2 men and a woman. One of the men bears a staff, and the others carry guns.

And now it's time for the fight to really start! Godric and Specter are up first.

18th Avenger
2013-10-01, 09:04 AM
Actions
Firearms + Dexterity = 5 Dice
[roll0]
There might have been a bunch of questions they could have asked the newcomers, Spectre thought as he sized them up. "What's going on?" was one. "Do you know what happened to Flash and Selene?" was another. "What's with the guns?" seemed fairly appropriate.

But seeing as they were loaded for bear, there was little the biker could to but take aim at the one wielding the staff and take a shot.

Shieldheart
2013-10-04, 06:42 AM
Godric didn't waste any time. The moment he saw that one of the enemy Mages had a Forces shield up, he concentrated, whipping his hand up to try and dispel the shield. "Belle, follow what I am doing." He whisper-shouted, letting loose with the Dispel Magic, hoping the Acanthus understood enough to shoot the Mage he was targeting. If his spell worked.

Dispel Magic

[roll0]