PDA

View Full Version : Obnoxiously Large Swords

trodgerable
2013-09-10, 09:30 PM
So, fellow supposed humans, I have a rather simple question that probably has a rather complex answer. I was looking at Soulknife the other day, and I wanted to build a character to exploit the "The blade is identical in all ways (except visually) to a short sword of a size appropriate for its wielder" line in the description of Mind Blade.

What's the easiest way to build a character who can wield the largest possible Mind Blade? I'm curious how low of a level I can be while wielding a Colossal Mind Blade.

bekeleven
2013-09-10, 09:53 PM
Titan bloodlines grant the ability to wield gargantuan warhammers, but you're looking for a blade...

I'd say powerful build or jotenbrud, plus enlarge person/Expansion and monkey grip?

Sith_Happens
2013-09-10, 10:02 PM
Earliest I can think of right now is ECL 8. Soulknife 1/Psion (Egoist) 7.
1. Manifest Metamorphosis, assuming the form of a Huge creature that can wield weapons.
2. Manifest augmented Expansion (learned via Expanded Knowledge feat), increasing your size by two categories, to Colossal.
3. Materialize your Mind Blade.
4. Realize that you did all that for a meager 4d6+STR with a BAB of +3 at ECL 8 (then again, considering that step 1 was Metamorphosis, your STR is probably quite high right now).
5. Continue being an Egoist.

Note that due to wording, you need to actually increase your size in order to get a bigger Mind Blade.

sketchtb
2013-09-10, 10:02 PM
Powerful build doesn't stack with monkey grip...

Humble Master
2013-09-10, 10:09 PM
Earliest I can think of right now is ECL 8. Soulknife 1/Psion (Egoist) 7.
1. Manifest Metamorphosis, assuming the form of a Huge creature that can wield weapons.
2. Manifest augmented Expansion (learned via Expanded Knowledge feat), increasing your size by two categories, to Colossal.
3. Materialize your Mind Blade.
4. Realize that you did all that for a meager 4d6+STR with a BAB of +3 at ECL 8 (then again, considering that step 1 was Metamorphosis, your STR is probably quite high right now).
5. Continue being an Egoist.

Note that due to wording, you need to actually increase your size in order to get a bigger Mind Blade. Well, you're also a Colossal sized creature now which has it's own benefits, though mostly for grappling and throwing heavy objects.

Uhtred
2013-09-11, 01:54 AM
Powerful build doesn't stack with monkey grip...

I can't find any evidence in the text to support that, reading Powerful Build in Races of Stone and Monkey Grip in Complete Warrior. I can see Monkey Grip and, say, Strongarm Bracers not stacking, but why wouldn't a feat and a racial feature stack?

Siosilvar
2013-09-11, 01:59 AM
I can't find any evidence in the text to support that, reading Powerful Build in Races of Stone and Monkey Grip in Complete Warrior. I can see Monkey Grip and, say, Strongarm Bracers not stacking, but why wouldn't a feat and a racial feature stack?

IIRC both specify "one size larger than you are", not one size larger than normal.

Platymus Pus
2013-09-11, 02:31 AM
Just buy a full blade?

Fax Celestis
2013-09-11, 08:56 AM

Both specify "as if you were one size larger than you are", not "as if you were one size larger". Monkey Grip goes "you can wield weapons as if you're Large," and Powerful Build goes "you can wield weapons as if you're Large", and then they brofist with their giant hands.

Greenish
2013-09-11, 10:11 AM
By a certain reading, Powerful Build and Monkey Grip would stack: Powerful Build allows you to wield larger weapons without penalty (but doesn't actually say anything about reducing the handedness), and Monkey Grip allows you to wield larger weapons without increasing the handedness (but doesn't remove the penalty).

Not that I'd've ever heard of anyone playing Powerful Build like that.

herrhauptmann
2013-09-11, 10:47 AM
Titan bloodlines grant the ability to wield gargantuan warhammers, but you're looking for a blade...

I'd say powerful build or jotenbrud, plus enlarge person/Expansion and monkey grip?

Jotunbrud doesn't do a thing for weapon size.
It only helps you in opposed rolls like tripping or disarming (and determining if a monster can eat you).

Rattigan
2013-09-12, 06:47 AM
For added hilarity, you may want to look at the Mind Blade feats in Complete Psionic, that mean instead of puny Short Swords, you can wield Dire Flails, Orc Double Axes, Dwarven Urgroshs, Double Bladed Swords, and other such nice things that do more damage when increased to Colossal Size.

I was surprised no-one had mentioned these yet, so much so I made an account to post myself.

I lurk no more! Muahahahahahaha......:smalltongue:

relytdan
2013-09-12, 07:23 AM
Powerful Build:
A goliath can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty

- has size actually increased by 1- no , allows 1 weapon size larger useage - yes

MONKEY GRIP
Benefit: You can use melee weapons one size category larger than you are with a –2 penalty on the attack roll

- has size actually increased by 1- no , allows 1 weapon size larger useage - yes

As you can clearly see they are in conflict and thus do not stack.

Cog
2013-09-12, 09:07 AM
Magical size increases don't stack. Metamorphosis doesn't repeat that, though Expansion does, and actually phrases it as any size-changing effect (which means it can't stack with Mountain Rage either, alas).

Sith_Happens
2013-09-12, 03:34 PM
Magical size increases don't stack. Metamorphosis doesn't repeat that, though Expansion does, and actually phrases it as any size-changing effect (which means it can't stack with Mountain Rage either, alas).

Metamorphosis isn't a size changing effect. You're the normal size for the species you currently are.