PDA

View Full Version : Rogue/Duelist Build PF Help

Mygicmeen
2013-09-10, 10:21 PM
So I have been toying around with the rogue class for awhile now. I've got about 4 different types of rogues, trying to see which I would enjoy the most to play. I am really intrigued by the class, but feel it is sort of lacking for what I want to do. Which I guess, is be effective both in and out of combat. What I have hit upon is the duelist prestige. I'll lay out what I have here. I only took the toon I built to 15, I dunno why. I also bought very basic items to just help flesh out what he should look like, but nothing too crazy.

Race: Elf Class: Rogue-8/Duelist-7 Languagues: Elvan, Common, Sylvan, Gnome, Celestial, Draconic, Abyssal, Dwarven, Halfling, Undercommon, Infernal
Abilities Base: Str-7 Dex-17(28) Con-14(18) Int-16(24) Wis-14(20) Cha-7. (With the three freebies put into Dex, and a belt of dex/con and a headband of wis/int)
I'll leave skills off for the most part. I did take 5 ranks of Linguistics. On the headband I put Knowledge Planes, disguise, and fly. Should I take fly off because I wont be using Celestial armor too much? Or take disguise off for diplomacy?(Which I dropped in favor of bluff)
BAB:+13/+8/+3 Fort:8 Ref:19 Will:9 AC:41(+7int+1dodge+3amuletofnat+3ringofprot.+9cele stial armor+8dex)
Sneak attack:4D6
Rogue Talents: 2-Finesse Rogue 4-Offensive Defense 6-Ninja Trick: Improved Unarmed Combat
Uncanny Dodge, Trap Finding, Trapsense, Improved UD, Canny Defense(+int to dodge ac), Precise Strike(Duelist lvl to dmg), Improved Reactions, Parry, Enhanced Mobility, Combat Reflexes, Grace, Riposte, Acrobatic Charge, and Elaborate Defense.
My feats are as follows:
1: Dodge 3: Two-Weapon Fighting 5:Dervish Dance 7:Mobility 9: Crane Style 11: Crane Wing 13: Crane Riposte
I intend on using a keen scimitar and an agile thorn bracer, and as said earlier celestial armor.
I also know with this build I'll have to get a cloak of resistance with muleback chords added on, or vice versa

My other 3 Feats are not really planned out yet. And I don't really have anything specific in mind other than things like lighting stance or finishing two weapon fighting, though it seems like Double slice would be an absolute waste...any suggestions?

Is my build two extreme, with two dropped stats to 7? What would you recommend instead?

Should I take rogue for the last 2 levels after Duelist 10 for the last talent, the extra D6 sneak? Or maybe go fighter for the extra two feats and bigger hit die? Something else entirely? Would a dip as a two weapon fighter arch type be worth it?

Also would it be better to cut the Dervish thing in favor of just agile enchantments? What should I look into if I replaced those?

Am I correct in assuming that I can full attack with precise strike on the scimitar, and a thorn bracer?

If I were to hit with 4 sneak attacks in a round at my current level, would that be +16 Dodge AC for the next round from offensive defense?

What is my damage difference between a fighter/duelist of my level?

How much am I losing out to a full rogue damage wise? Does my better attack, and 4 base attacks help mitigate that compared to the rogue?(at level 20)

Lastly, as a rogue, I know UMD is important. But I don't know what I would be looking to buy, I'm fairly awful when it comes to my knowledge spells, scrolls, wands, and rods. What do I need?

Sorry this got long winded, and thank you for reading if you've made it this far =x

Sephoris
2013-09-11, 02:10 AM
This is actually basically the character I'm playing right now. I'm not really as optimized, and I'm only at 10 so I'm just now getting to really play with Duelist, but I'm liking it so far.

Should I take rogue for the last 2 levels after Duelist 10 for the last talent, the extra D6 sneak? Or maybe go fighter for the extra two feats and bigger hit die? Something else entirely? Would a dip as a two weapon fighter arch type be worth it?

I'm planning to drop back into rogue, just because there are too many good options in Advanced Rogue Talents. Fighter's bigger HD and better BAB are tempting too, though.

Am I correct in assuming that I can full attack with precise strike on the scimitar, and a thorn bracer?

As I understand it, yes.

If I were to hit with 4 sneak attacks in a round at my current level, would that be +16 Dodge AC for the next round from offensive defense?

I don't see any reason it wouldn't. Dodge bonuses to AC explicitly stack, and Offensive Defense doesn't make an exception to that.

The Scout archetype might be worth a look. It gives up Uncanny Dodge, but in return gives you Sneak Attack when you charge at 4th, and then grants Sneak Attack any time you move more than 10 feet at 8th. Losing Uncanny Dodge can be steep, but it might be worth it to make sure you're getting Sneak Attack every time you close distance on an enemy.

Mygicmeen
2013-09-11, 07:18 PM
Wow, that's such a tough decision. I love the idea of getting sneak attack after moving, but I don't think 1 standard attack to get a sneak attack is worth giving up being unflankable =x Its like the scout makes more sense from character perspective, but I don't know if I want to give up the defense I've accumulated. Good feedback sir.