PDA

View Full Version : The Sunlight it BURNS...alright not really but it still causing a problem.

D4rtagnan
2013-09-10, 11:47 PM
Alright I have a quick question is there anyway to negate sunlight? I am playing Shadowcraft mage and I'd like to make more use out of Shadow Cloak. I recently acquired a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis so that I can now use my own Shadow Cloak to Hide in Plain sight...but there still the problem of when I go outside.
I could perma-cast Darkness onto a stone....but a big blob of darkness is still kind of obvious. Can anyone think of a more subtle way?

Morcleon
2013-09-11, 12:03 AM
Get an umbrella. :smallwink:

No, seriously. I do this for all my characters that need to be out of the sun.

eggynack
2013-09-11, 12:06 AM
How to negate sunlight you say? What better way is there than eliminating the sun itself? Iron Heart Surge, away!

D4rtagnan
2013-09-11, 12:12 AM

A floating umbrella is kind of suspicious.

thethird
2013-09-11, 12:15 AM
How to negate sunlight you say? What better way is there than eliminating the sun itself? Iron Heart Surge, away!

Came here for this response, wasn't disappointed. :smallsmile:

Red Rubber Band
2013-09-11, 12:21 AM
Make it rain. Rain, therefore clouds, therefore shadows. Else, don't go out into flat, featureless landscapes with short cut grass. :smallwink:

Morcleon
2013-09-11, 12:23 AM
A floating umbrella is kind of suspicious.

The umbrella is one of your possessions, yes? Thus, it gets hidden as well.

Kane0
2013-09-11, 12:28 AM

... That is fantastic!

Sith_Happens
2013-09-11, 12:46 AM

You know, I was going to say that, but after reading through the Hide description five times looking for the pertinent text to quote I found it wasn't there. You actually have the citation (not doubting it exists, though it be funny if it turned out not to)?

Morcleon
2013-09-11, 01:03 AM
You know, I was going to say that, but after reading through the Hide description five times looking for the pertinent text to quote I found it wasn't there. You actually have the citation (not doubting it exists, though it be funny if it turned out not to)?

Well the description of the Hide skill in the SRD doesn't say that your clothes are hidden from view either. So by literal RAW, hiding causes your body to be not seeable, but one's clothes remain the same.

The rationale behind the umbrella is that it's enough darkness for your Shadow Cloak to activate, thus allowing you to use HiPS, which in turn causes you to become hidden, at which point you withdraw the umbrella, as you're holding it.

Flame of Anor
2013-09-11, 01:22 AM
Well the description of the Hide skill in the SRD doesn't say that your clothes are hidden from view either. So by literal RAW, hiding causes your body to be not seeable, but one's clothes remain the same.

The rationale behind the umbrella is that it's enough darkness for your Shadow Cloak to activate, thus allowing you to use HiPS, which in turn causes you to become hidden, at which point you withdraw the umbrella, as you're holding it.

That's legitimately hilarious. A true rival to that HiPS thing where you hide in the sparkles from your armor.

TuggyNE
2013-09-11, 03:11 AM

This is probably the point someone will say "but you don't make Spot checks to see objects/equipment anyway!", at which point the whole thing collapses into a small turducken of stupid.

Waker
2013-09-11, 03:15 AM
This is probably the point someone will say "but you don't make Spot checks to see objects/equipment anyway!", at which point the whole thing collapses into a small turducken of stupid.

I actually expected the comparison to the tower shield conundrum.

ahenobarbi
2013-09-11, 03:22 AM

You want parasol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbrella), not umbrella :smallwink: