PDA

View Full Version : Zodiac Signs of OOTS

Bleak Ink
2013-09-11, 12:30 AM
Purely for fun, I propose guessing the zodiac signs of OotS characters- hero, villain and sideline alike, using the stereotypes and supposed traits of the sign! Only for kicks, not to offend anybody or tread on feet. A quick overview of the 12 Western signs are as follows:

Aries the ram, aggressive and enthusiastic.
Taurus the bull, stable and stubborn.
Gemini the twins, clever yet unreliable.
Cancer the crab, hard on the outside and soft inside.
Leo the lion, brave and vain.
Virgo the prudent and meticulous virgin.
Libra the scales, idealist and indecisive.
Scorpio the ..scorpion, passionate and secretive.
Sagittarius the archer, independent but unemotional.
Capricorn the goat, ambitious and inhibited.
Aquarius the humanitarian and rebellious water bearer.
And Pisces, the accepting but sensitive fish.

I'll start.

For team Good Guys, I think Haley is a Gemini, because she's constantly in motion and adaptable, but dislikes the weighty position of leadership she got when Roy died.
In contrast, I consider Roy a Taurus because his steadfast nature keeps the team together. However, he finds himself in ruts such as difficulty accepting changes in others, like that in Belkar.

Think I'm way off the mark? Think you have any other characters pinned?
Who falls under what sign to YOU, and why?

B. Dandelion
2013-09-11, 04:50 AM
I kinda figured Roy for more a Capricorn type. It's an earth sign like Taurus -- so practical, dependable -- but a little bit less on the easygoing side and a little bit more on the ambitious one. That long-suffering attitude hits me as more appropriate to Saturn than Venus.

Elan sorta hits me as a Libra. He has a sociable, outgoing, nice but somewhat indecisive personality.

Admittedly Nale doesn't strike me as a Libra in reverse. If anything Nale seems determined to hit every single negative stereotype associated with Scorpio that there is. Obsessive, vengeful, paranoid, in a relationship with a sex demon... it's my sun sign so I don't like pointing it out, but geez.

Redcloak... Virgo. Intelligent, industrious, neurotic, entirely in the service of someone else. I think that's probably Durkon's sign too.

As for Haley... the most likely candidates to me seem either Aquarius or Gemini, but I lean a little bit more towards Aquarius because she seems to have the "good with humanity at large, awkward with personal intimacy" issues I associate with that sign. It doesn't really account for her selfishness and greed, which aren't typically associated with the sign, but there is some grounding there for the fractured sense of self she experiences while suffering from aphasia and for her propensity to be somewhat hard on herself, as Aquarius can be a harsher sign (especially on itself) than some realize. But I could be persuaded elsewhere, since Haley's not one of the characters I feel I have the best personal grasp on.

Dissection
2013-09-11, 04:51 AM
I don't really know anything about zodiac signs, but based on the list you have here, maybe I'd say:

Belkar: Aries
Durkon: Taurus
Haley: Scorpio
Vaarsuvius: Sagittarius

B. Dandelion
2013-09-11, 04:58 AM

Hmm, I think I'd second that one. The first sign of the zodiac, a fire sign, associated with recklessness and the most primal facets of the human ego, it works pretty well.

Anatares
2013-09-11, 07:39 AM
I would actually put Elan down as a Leo. He's bubbly and friendly and tries to befriend everyone he meets. The aggression associated with fire signs has only come about recently when meeting his father. Nale might be the same with the way he tried to recruit Durkon, but much more heavy on the aggressiin/rebelliousness part.

Mighty_Chicken
2013-09-11, 07:54 AM
I think Vaarsuvius is the stereotype Virgo. Overthinking, unsensitive at times, meticulous.

Haley hits me as Cancer because he tries to appear clever and tough to everyone, even to people as intimate as Elan, but as we know she can be pretty soft when her guard is low.

Durkon seems to be that guy that knows nothing about the zodiac, and when you start talking about it he remains quiet, and when he tells you his birthday, you're all like "oh so you an X...! but you really don't behave anything like your sign", and he just sighes "well, I guess".

Bleak Ink
2013-09-11, 01:38 PM
I kinda figured Roy for more a Capricorn type. It's an earth sign like Taurus -- so practical, dependable -- but a little bit less on the easygoing side and a little bit more on the ambitious one. That long-suffering attitude hits me as more appropriate to Saturn than Venus.

That is an excellent point! He's certainly more disciplined than my sign is known to be. :smalltongue: Whereas the Taurus is happy to lie on the couch and eat pie, a Capricorn is known to be more workaholic than self-indulgent.

Elan sorta hits me as a Libra. He has a sociable, outgoing, nice but somewhat indecisive personality.

Admittedly Nale doesn't strike me as a Libra in reverse. If anything Nale seems determined to hit every single negative stereotype associated with Scorpio that there is. Obsessive, vengeful, paranoid, in a relationship with a sex demon... it's my sun sign so I don't like pointing it out, but geez.

Those two are really tough for me to associate a sign with. Although, I am digging Anatares' Leo idea:

I would actually put Elan down as a Leo. He's bubbly and friendly and tries to befriend everyone he meets. The aggression associated with fire signs has only come about recently when meeting his father. Nale might be the same with the way he tried to recruit Durkon, but much more heavy on the aggressiin/rebelliousness part.

I could get on that bandwagon, because Leo is one of those signs that are just all over the board. Some say loyal, others say dominating; optimistic but impatient; generous, or arrogant. Their fire is very different depending on the interpretation/situation.

Redcloak... Virgo. Intelligent, industrious, neurotic, entirely in the service of someone else. I think that's probably Durkon's sign too.

With Redcloak I keep flopping between Virgo and Scorpio. He's the stereotypical fussy, analytical Virgo, but Virgos aren't filed under being quite as unyielding, resentful or secretive as a wronged Scorpio. Both the signs are intelligent and poised, but express their energy differently- especially under stress and trauma. One gets busier, the other gets even, and they both suit him to me.

As for Haley... the most likely candidates to me seem either Aquarius or Gemini, but I lean a little bit more towards Aquarius because she seems to have the "good with humanity at large, awkward with personal intimacy" issues I associate with that sign. It doesn't really account for her selfishness and greed, which aren't typically associated with the sign, but there is some grounding there for the fractured sense of self she experiences while suffering from aphasia and for her propensity to be somewhat hard on herself, as Aquarius can be a harsher sign (especially on itself) than some realize. But I could be persuaded elsewhere, since Haley's not one of the characters I feel I have the best personal grasp on.

Another excellent point. But, I feel the same relationship to Haley. There are several characters for whom I can offer a stronger interpretation.

Durkon: Taurus
Vaarsuvius: Sagittarius

These, I can see. I definitely think Belkar falls under Aries- as well as Xykon, personally- and Durkon does suit a Taurus motif well. I hadn't considered Saggitarius Vaarsuvius before; I considered hir Virgo for the same reasons as Mighty Chicken suggested:

I think Vaarsuvius is the stereotype Virgo. Overthinking, unsensitive at times, meticulous.

But Sagittarius does suit hir as well! They're known to be candid (at times tactless), overconfident, but intelligent, all very suiting V. What's thrown me off about an archer V is how free-spirited and animal-loving the sign is.

veti
2013-09-11, 05:11 PM
Isn't it obvious?

Belkar: horse. Cheerful, hot-tempered, quick-witted, impulsive, stubborn, unpredictable.

Roy: dog. Honest, intelligent, straightforward, loyal, guarded, dedicated.

Haley: monkey. Quick-witted, clever, flexible, sociable, confident, self-centred.

Durkon: ox. Stable, patient, methodical, fairminded, charitable, dependable.

Elan: pig. Honest, simple, nice, loyal, thoughtful, innocent.

Vaarsuvius: rooster. Dedicated, self-assured, conservative, neat, meticulous, decisive.

... Oh, you meant that zodiac. As you were then.

F.Harr
2013-09-12, 09:35 AM
One of them's a virgin? HA!

Mammal
2013-09-12, 10:36 AM
Oh! Oh! I did a research paper on the western zodiac! I like most of the suggestions people are tossing out, and would suggest that the characters who're more difficult to pin down are cuspal or more under the influence of their moon sign or ascendant.

For example, Redcloak strikes me as a Virgo, with a Capricorn or Scorpio moon-Scorpio because of the anger and vengeful streak, Capricorn because of its ambition and secrecy.

Anyway. I'd say Miko is a Scorpio- despite its association with sex, I think the overall intensity suits her (and again, maybe she's on the Scorpio/Sagittarius cusp). Hinjo strikes me as a Gemini (not sure why), but then again, so does Xykon.

O-Chul is definitely Taurus, Celia is a Pieces.

In the interest of full disclosure: I don't really believe in the Zodiac, but I think it's super fun and trying to assign signs to fictional characters is a hobby of mine. Also, I'm disappointed there aren't more Libras...from a completely unbiased standpoint, it's definitely the best sign to be :smallwink:

Bleak Ink
2013-09-13, 08:36 PM
Cusps, moons and ascendants! :smallbiggrin: Getting into the grit of it now. Good lord, but the plot thickens.

For example, Redcloak strikes me as a Virgo, with a Capricorn or Scorpio moon-Scorpio because of the anger and vengeful streak, Capricorn because of its ambition and secrecy.

All work and no play does nudge Redcloak into having Capricorn influences, definitely. It's a tough call on the moon, though. Being the emotions and instincts of a person, it's more difficult to assign without really delving into the roots of their character- and Redcloak is nothing if not interpreted very differently depending on who you ask around here. :smalltongue:

Anyway. I'd say Miko is a Scorpio- despite its association with sex, I think the overall intensity suits her (and again, maybe she's on the Scorpio/Sagittarius cusp). Hinjo strikes me as a Gemini (not sure why), but then again, so does Xykon.

Hmmm! Now Hinjo's a guy I would struggle putting with a sign, mostly because I have difficulty recalling much about him besides that he was amicable to the Order, and in terse situations he had brave and bold decision making- which I immediately lump in with Leo because I'm awful. :smalltongue: But it's been a looong while since I read any scene involving him. As for Miko, it's hard to get more into that "intense" stereotype than she was.

O-Chul is definitely Taurus, Celia is a Pieces.

I think you hit the nail on the head with these, wow.

In the interest of full disclosure: I don't really believe in the Zodiac, but I think it's super fun and trying to assign signs to fictional characters is a hobby of mine.

Oh, yeah. Zodiac, Meyers-Briggs (http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp) type, enneagrams (http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/), it's all fair game for poor characters.

Also, I'm disappointed there aren't more Libras...from a completely unbiased standpoint, it's definitely the best sign to be :smallwink:

If it's any consolation, what we've seen of Julia Greenhilt and Lien both remind me of Libra.

DaggerPen
2013-09-14, 01:57 AM
I know it doesn't quite suit them, but it really feels like Elan and Nale should be geminis just for the obvious joke.

Mammal
2013-09-14, 11:07 AM
I also like Elan and Nale as Gemini because it is so very obvious, but I think they're more Leo-the general characteristics suit them both, and it's got enough of a range to account for their differences. I'd say that they've got different ascendants, to account for their vastly different personalities (Nale has a Scorpio ascendant, Elan has Libra).

Let's see...other characters...Tarquin is a Capricorn, but I'd say he's got a definite influence from one of the fire signs. I'd say Aries, but I'm not sure where exactly I'd place it. Thog is a Sagittarius. Sabine probably doesn't actually have a sign (are demons/devils born or created?), but if she did, Scorpio. For me, Vaarsuvius is an even split between Virgo and Sagittarius. Virgo might be a better fit, because Virgos are known for honesty to the point of tactlessness, though Sagittarius' overall tactlessness also suits her.
I'm reluctant to call it either way, because V doesn't strike me as fussy, the way Virgo does, but she's definitely not the brash, athletic centaur. So Virgo's tendencies with Sagittarian issues re: impulse control.

And I agree that Haley is really challenging to categorize. I'd rule out Cancer because she's not grouchy and lacks that characteristic maternal streak. Pisces is good because of its association with secrecy, but Gemini is all about the duality and secret inner life. I think I'm leaning towards Gemini, but again, perhaps a Pisces moon or ascendant.

And I really like both Lien and Julia, so I'm all for them sharing my sun sign with them!

Also, funny (to me) tidbit on moon signs and ascendants: My sun sign is Libra and my ascendant is Scorpio. My moon is in Capricorn. Flirty! Romantic! Sexy! Powerful! Deeply neurotic! Incapable of fun!

B. Dandelion
2013-09-14, 09:26 PM
Also, funny (to me) tidbit on moon signs and ascendants: My sun sign is Libra and my ascendant is Scorpio. My moon is in Capricorn. Flirty! Romantic! Sexy! Powerful! Deeply neurotic! Incapable of fun!

My sun is in Scorpio and moon is in Virgo.... I like that combination (M&M!), but it has always seemed like the sun/moon thing was a bit backwards if you thought about it. Like, what is that, "vampire by day, librarian by night"?

Although then since Redcloak is my favorite character it does appeal to me that he'd be that same combination inverted, as was suggested upthread. He's the one who gets it right, the mild-mannered bookish type on the surface, but underneath...

For the record, I don't entirely "believe" in astrology myself. I just like personality systems a lot. (I sorta invented one myself once.) Astrology has so much going on with it (elements, triplicities, placement of all the planets in the signs, in the houses, rulerships/exaltations/detriments/falls -- and those divided into traditional and modern! -- cusps, decantes, aspects between planets, etc...) that the complexity can make it a bit addicting, but I find that once you delve into it very deeply it becomes so potentially nuanced as to often tell you very little concretely. Particularly where relationships are concerned, as there are a thousand different factors going on and it's just about impossible to tell at a glance whether any particular combination will work out. So it makes the question of whether or not astrology is "real" sort of moot anyway. Planning your life around it would be impractical even before you got to the question of whether or not it had any basis in science and facts. But if you like that sort of thing, it can be fun to play around with as a hobby.

SaintRidley
2013-09-14, 09:32 PM
None that we would know because they have completely different stars and planets in their sky and thus none of our constellations. Also, because I apparently have a need to ruin the fun of the premise, but someone had to make this post anyway.

B. Dandelion
2013-09-14, 09:51 PM
None that we would know because they have completely different stars and planets in their sky and thus none of our constellations. Also, because I apparently have a need to ruin the fun of the premise, but someone had to make this post anyway.

The link to constellations is rather weak in the western zodiac as it is. If we were really doing it by constellations, we'd have 13 signs and most people would have the sign that's directly before the one listed on the horoscope pages due to the earth's axial precession over the millenia.

Also, what about the Southern gods being based on the Chinese zodiac?

Bleak Ink
2013-09-16, 09:07 PM
I also like Elan and Nale as Gemini because it is so very obvious, but I think they're more Leo-the general characteristics suit them both, and it's got enough of a range to account for their differences. I'd say that they've got different ascendants, to account for their vastly different personalities (Nale has a Scorpio ascendant, Elan has Libra).

Morning babies! On our world anyway. Roughly, that puts them at max four hours apart in birth order, Elan coming first. I'd say that fits so well to me it's become a certified headcanon.

Let's see...other characters...Tarquin is a Capricorn, but I'd say he's got a definite influence from one of the fire signs. I'd say Aries, but I'm not sure where exactly I'd place it.

An Aries for Tarquin, I could throw under Jupiter (the luck planet). There's inclination towards leadership, strong drive towards desires, and self-confidence. And I don't want to say "Mars", because that just seems redundant. He's not an aggressive aggressor anyway.

Thog is a Sagittarius.

Okay, initial reaction was to balk- far-sighted Thog? But a second later, I remembered the more outdoorsy and warm traits of the sign and that made a lot more sense. :smalltongue: I could even see Thog having Cancer and Aries influences- Cancer for its empathy, Aries for its optimism and impulsiveness.

Sabine probably doesn't actually have a sign (are demons/devils born or created?), but if she did, Scorpio.

I don't want to put the power, passion, sex demon into the into the power, passion, sex sign, but it does suit her. And Scorpios and Leos have a (in)famous attraction to eachother. :smallwink: Thought I could see her Leo as well, as it's supportive and ambitious and loyal- which we see regarding Nale.

My sun is in Scorpio and moon is in Virgo.... I like that combination (M&M!), but it has always seemed like the sun/moon thing was a bit backwards if you thought about it. Like, what is that, "vampire by day, librarian by night"?

HA ha ha! Oh jeeze, tell me about it. I'm Taurus sun, Leo moon with a Sagittarius ascendant. Warm and snuggly, bake you some crostata, aren't these flowers nice? They smell so nice. I like my house. I love these windchimes, I think they really tie the room together. Hey, watch your tone then you talk to me. If your issue isn't worth saying outright, then it's not worth having the problem. Feelings are weak. Now the crostata will keep for two days in the fridge, do not waste my food. The cats and I are going camping.

Although then since Redcloak is my favorite character

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Barack-Obama-David-Letterman-Fist-Bump.gif

it does appeal to me that he'd be that same combination inverted, as was suggested upthread. He's the one who gets it right, the mild-mannered bookish type on the surface, but underneath...

That's part of what makes him such a great character to me! People can apply whatever matrix of morality to him they like, you cannot deny how much fun he is to psychoanalyze.

:smallsigh:

Mammal
2013-09-16, 10:47 PM
:smallsigh:

I'll bet that guy's a Capricorn.

:smalltongue: