PDA

View Full Version : D&D Archetypes

Callos_DeTerran
2013-09-11, 01:00 AM
I'm embarking on a project to create a mythic campaign using Pathfinder and the Mythic Adventures rules, using an entirely new set of races (which may, may not be balanced). The main idea behind the setting is that there was one 'true' deity that imposed order on to parts of the Elemental Planes and actual elementals to create the actual campaign setting before creating a variety of races to fill the world it had created (including some of the traditional D&D races).

After a time, this deity sought to create peers and imbued select mortals with exemplary power, bestowing on them mythic tiers that these beings then developed further on their own. Once it had created these peers though, they began to question and doubt their creator's purpose in creating them and then, essentially, abandoning them to a hostile world full of dangerous threats to their very existence. They resolved that if this god-figure wouldn't step up to protect it's creations, they would and set about a plan to kill the deity and split it's power amongst themselves. The plan worked in the sense it...killed the deity, but the intended ritual to harvest their sire's power went awry and instead of being gifted to them...it was dispersed around the world, becoming part of peoples strange and unusual to create people with remarkable powers. In time, the world changed and grew beyond the simple races the now-dead deity had created, inherited by ones that 'grew naturally' on it and those first paragons have become the basis of a new pantheon despite the lack of actual omniscience/omnipotence as the six head figures. Other gifted and powerful mythic beings have become akin to godlike figures themselves, taking the place of 'intermediate hero/villain-deities' with established legends and mythos behind them.

The PCs fall into the third tier of this new pantheon, that of demi-god like figures who have yet to shape the world but have an undeniably important destiny awaiting them. The top deities, the champions of old, are meant to be...hmm...typical examples of the mythic paths available in the Mythic Adventures book (Archmage, Champion, Guardian, Hierophant, Marshal, and Trickster) that focus more on the mythic abilities and the image they represent (The Archmage is a master of arcane magic, Champion is the melee king, Guardian is an unmovable object, Hierophant is the wellspring of divine power, Marshal is the quintessential leader, and Trickster is...well...a bit of a clown over-top a deadly interior). I've got them mostly/sorta figured out except for figuring out the domains they give access to.

It's the intermediate rank hero-deities I'd like help/suggestions on, I want them to represent classical archetypes of D&D characters/NPCs. The kind healer, a shadowy thief, the noble paladin, a canny inventor, etc. expanded to account for some of the things that Pathfinder can provide for such concepts. So what are some of the archetypical D&D characters/roles and what sort of interesting twists would you put on them? For example, I was thinking of making the kind healer and master-of-the-undead style necromancy a brother/sister team that understand that each other are different sides of life and work with one another in a rather atypical fashion for what they are.

This setting doesn't have any of the typical races besides humans anymore, they've been joined by the glamlain, wyrwoods, kashata (all from the Advanced Race Guide though their cultures may be different), grindylows (an aberration race that's a weird/horrifying mix of octopi and an angler fish with a hypnotic lure and dream magic that act as merchants and seers), and two more custom races who's names escape me at the moment. Remnants exist of the old races, but they are remnants in the sense their species are extinct but ruins of their former civilizations exist. More importantly, this setting is meant to take place in an era like the mythic Golden Age of Greek mythology where the 'gods' are fickle and capricious while civilization is beset by horrifying and powerful monsters from the outside (perfect chance for PCs to cut their teeth with their new abilities).

So...thoughts?

InQbait
2013-09-11, 03:49 AM
Great idea for a setting. I must admit, I am rather envious of what you thought up here. Puts my ideas for my campaign setting to shame. Oh wellz, I'll just stick with what I got.

One idea I have for you for an intermediate hero/villain deity is a male character who is completely pale, seven feet tall, has fire for hair, and wears chains and black leather. He can mess up your day just by grinning at you. Possible names may include: Infernus, Wrathborn, Keldanon, and Maerson.
Also, this character can teleport himself anywhere he wants at any time and is quite strong. Can knock you out with one punch and breathe fire.

A three-headed dragon is always nice too.