PDA

View Full Version : A less martial Eldritch Knight?

Weiser_Cain
2013-09-11, 03:37 AM
Short of home brewing it is there a PRC that lets me still not die with a sword (or halberd) while getting more out of my magic?

Alaris
2013-09-11, 03:40 AM
Short of home brewing it is there a PRC that lets me still not die with a sword (or halberd) while getting more out of my magic?

Depends... what do you define as "more out of your magic." Eldricht Knight grants 9/10 Casting, with full Base Attack Bonus & D6 Hit Die. That's 'a lot' out of your spellcasting, along with the ability to not die to a sword (as easily).

So ultimately, as stated before... what do you mean by "more out of your magic"?

Feytalist
2013-09-11, 03:58 AM
...Abjurant Champion?

I mean, you possibly can't get any better than that at combining arcane and martial. And it lets you do fun stuff with Abjuration spells.

Weiser_Cain
2013-09-11, 03:58 AM
So ultimately, as stated before... what do you mean by "more out of your magic"?

Metamagic bonus feats or nifty class abilities. I'd be willing to sacrifice some bab for that.

Feytalist
2013-09-11, 04:07 AM
Okay, I have another one. Go read Raumathari Battlemage in Unapproachable East. Then weep because of the ridiculous entry requirements and bad stats.

But it does have some interesting abilities. Sword focus gives a sort of Eschew Materials equivalent and nabs you a +1 caster level. You get to cast a couple of metamagic'd spells with no extra cost per day, and one or two other abilities.

Well. At least it's an option.

Waker
2013-09-11, 04:10 AM
Suel Arcanamach is decent for being a gish with some interesting class features.
And then there are some of the other classes that advance casting like Spellsword or Swiftblade.

Xerlith
2013-09-11, 09:16 AM
Swiftblade is a primarily martial caster class that has 6/10 progression and makes you a god during your Haste spell. It does grant options, along with the option to take two standard actions at 9th level and cast timestop as a 6th level spell at 10th, but it's most probably not what the OP wants.

I'd go with Knight Phantom if you want some abilities (but they are mostly beneficial for your martial side, still).

And as it was said before, Abjurant Champion is AWESOME.
Autoextended, autoquickened (up to 3rd level) Abjurations, a +class level bonus to AC granted by abjuration spells... And still a full-casting class.

There is the Jade Phoenix Mage from Tome of Battle, that gives you martial maneuvers and 8/10 spellcasting (along with the ability to autoquicken and autoempower a spell once per encounter) and gives you DR 10/evil...

I wouldn't bother with taking the Spellsword and Dragonslayer classes further than a 1-lvl dip.

Weiser_Cain
2013-09-12, 09:08 AM
Thanks everyone, I have some reading to do.