PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Wand of Stoneshape?

Yogibear41
2013-09-11, 04:02 AM
Is it possible to make an eternal wand of stoneshape as an artificer? Normally eternal wands are only arcane spells of 3rd level or lower. Stoneshape happens to be a 4th level arcane spell, but it also happens to be a 3rd level divine spell. Im sure there is a way to do this but does anyone know?

Alternatively is there a way to be able to cast stoneshape more or less at will with an endless supply of charges per day? Want to use it as the basis for more or less building a castle/city into the side of a mountain or something similar. So even if I do get an eternal wand of it 2 uses per day is only going to get me 25 or so cubic feat shaped, that would take a pretty long time to do something as large scale as I am thinking off.

Maginomicon
2013-09-11, 04:30 AM
By strict reading of the eternal wand, no. However, swapping the eternal wand from arcane to divine would probably be trivial to convince your GM. After that, it'd be trivial to get stone shape on it.

By the same token, it'd be likely trivial to convince your GM to allow an eternal dorje (so long as the power levels stay the same).

eggynack
2013-09-11, 04:51 AM
Stoneshape is on the Trapsmith class at second level spells, so that could work out. Those guys are arcane all the way. Also, the Death Master gets them at third level spells, so that could do it too.

Yogibear41
2013-09-11, 05:18 AM
Sweet its doable then, if the death master gets them as 3rd level(and trapsmith at 2nd), I also see he gets magic fang as an arcane spell will have to rememeber that as well for future use.

Big Fau
2013-09-11, 06:46 AM
I believe there is already an Eternal Wand of Stoneshape, as an Artifact-level item in Secrets of Xen'Drik.

Yogibear41
2013-09-11, 07:09 AM
Found an eternal wand of passwall but don't see a stoneshape version in there.

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-11, 07:16 AM
Also note the value of an eternal wand of fabricate from the trapsmith list. 3rd level spell, but you get all the mundane gear you could ever want.

Yogibear41
2013-09-11, 07:21 AM
Ironic that the class'es most powerful ability is letting other people be able to abuse its list.

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-11, 07:29 AM
I don't know, being able to set up 3 sizing crossbows before combat to do 3 +40-60 to hit attacks for 8d6 damage each is rather nice at level 10.

Seriously though, my E6 chameleon build makes casters cry when I pull out the spell that negates all 3rd and lower spells as a 2nd level spell. Funny stuff.

Yogibear41
2013-09-11, 07:32 AM
Make those Tier 1s cry muahahhaha!

Where are you getting 8d6 from? I don't think you can add sneak attack damage to traps?

3 heavy crossbows gives you 3d10, I suppose you could set up the same trap multiple times? Thats alot of crossbows to carry ha.

ben-zayb
2013-09-11, 08:20 AM
Where are you getting 8d6 from? I don't think you can add sneak attack damage to traps?

3 heavy crossbows gives you 3d10, I suppose you could set up the same trap multiple times? Thats alot of crossbows to carry ha.

I imagine from Sizing the Crossbow. But that would be what, -2 to attack roll per size? Hardly dependable.

Pickford
2013-09-11, 08:30 AM
Stoneshape is on the Trapsmith class at second level spells, so that could work out. Those guys are arcane all the way. Also, the Death Master gets them at third level spells, so that could do it too.

I take it this isn't the Combat Trapsmith from Complete Scoundrel...what book is this from?

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-11, 08:57 AM
No you see, you are not wielding the crossbow, you set it as a trap sized to colossal, specifically the three crossbow advanced trap. The attack bonus is based on your skill check, so it is easy to get massive numbers. Set the trap and when the opponent crosses the right square he gets three colossal bolts through his spleen.

Chronos
2013-09-11, 09:08 AM
This is the Trapsmith, from Dungeonscape.

WebTiefling
2013-09-11, 09:30 AM
Physically, what would the size be of three Colossal crossbows? A medium crossbow is about 3' long, 2.5' wide, 0.5' tall. Colossal crossbows would be, what? 25' long, 20' wide, and 4' tall?

As a DM, I would put some MAJOR penalties on making a trap with those. Something like a +20 to spot them and quadruple the range from which they can be Spotted.

However, if you can manage to hide them, talk about MAXIMUM hilarity when they go off!

DM: "The orcs roll to spot your trap. They only need a 5 to spot it. *roll* Ok, the orcs are too busy picking their noses.

The last thing the lead orc ever feels is a slight tug at his ankle.

The party of orcs freezes in surprise as the lead orc's body is hurled backward as three five-foot long logs slam into its face and chest. The one through the head sprays grey gore across the forest path and continues off into the woods, shearing through small trees before embedding itself in a massive oak.

The orc's body and the two logs embedded in its chest tumble through the brush for thirty feet before sliding to a stop."

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-11, 09:47 AM
The thing is, you don't have to hide them, just set then up while invisible and with an orc standing in the fire zone.

Or my personal preference, behind a door.

Then you hang big red banners off the bolts that say "bang".

Also, you can take 20 on the craft check and get big bonuses to craft (trapmaking). The DC to spot the trap is your craft check result, so you can get it very high. This means that you can eat that -20 penalty and STILL hide your ballista in plain sight.

Yogibear41
2013-09-11, 04:27 PM
You'd be surprised how easy it is to hide even huge things with the proper tools.
You could always set it up though that as soon as someone opens a door they are fired at him so even if they were obvious he would still get shot because he can't see through a door. It would have to be a home base type thing though, its pretty infesable to carry around 3 colossal heavy crossbows with you.

I'm fairly certain you can't take 20 on craft checks 10 yes 20 no. Unless this is a specific loop hole anyway, I know my DM would never allow that lol.

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-11, 04:38 PM
See, that is why you carry sizing crossbows. They travel as tiny crossbows, and get big as you want on site.

Story
2013-09-11, 04:46 PM
Alternatively is there a way to be able to cast stoneshape more or less at will with an endless supply of charges per day? Want to use it as the basis for more or less building a castle/city into the side of a mountain or something similar. So even if I do get an eternal wand of it 2 uses per day is only going to get me 25 or so cubic feat shaped, that would take a pretty long time to do something as large scale as I am thinking off.

Just get a Lyre of Building.

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-11, 05:39 PM
There is also a warforged feat that lets them power spells from wands with their own spell slots. A warforged wizard can get lots of slots high enough to power a level 2 spell.

Yogibear41
2013-09-11, 05:59 PM
Never heard of the lyre before until now that would work pretty well too thanks!

John Longarrow
2013-09-11, 06:22 PM
Yogibear41, DMG pg 261. Pretty iconic item.