PDA

View Full Version : Help build me a Caster 3.5

Red_Death01
2013-09-11, 04:08 AM
So- I'm currently making a dnd 3.5 Level 10 character and I need some help. I normally only play bruisers/tanks and avoid casting so I dont really know too much about ways to build them.

What I want:
-Caster that utilizes range spells
-Does not need to utilize a familiar at all (If I have one I'll likely not utilize it)
-Spontaneous caster
-Brings a lot of utility
-If possible but not necessary maintain full casting progression

What is in my party already:
Level 10 Pure Druid (that does mostly healing/melee shapeshifting)
Level 10 Scout/Rouge variant
Level 10 Ranger variant

The stuff I already have: (apologize to any min/maxers out there)
Race- Desert Kobold (-4 str, +2 dex, -2 Wis)
Feats- Dragonwrought, Dragon Wings, Improved Dragon Wings
Age- 279 (So I have full +3 Age bonus with no Age penalties)
Equipment- Pectoral of Maneuverability

*While I realize I'm nerfing myself by having some of these things I want to have them.

Things I need to avoid:
Since I'm already using Dragonwrought I want to avoid any cheese that can be done with the 'true dragon' rules.
I'm not allowed any flaws

Thank you guys! Been stuck on this for a while now.

Waker
2013-09-11, 04:24 AM
Being a spontaneous caster with a lot of utility is difficult, what with the limitation on spells known or having a fixed list. I suggest this class a lot, but have you looked at the Sha'ir from Dragon Compendium? It's got a funky casting mechanic, preparing a spell and retaining it for a number of hours equal to your class level. You essentially have access to the entire sorc/wiz spell list, along with some cleric domains, so you have no shortage of options.
As a bonus, the class meshes somewhat well with a Desert Kobold since it is a desert mage.

Maginomicon
2013-09-11, 04:48 AM
Being a spontaneous caster with a lot of utility is difficult, what with the limitation on spells known or having a fixed list.Difficult, but not impossible.
My first 3.5 character was such a sorcerer. I took the necessary feats for Draconic Breath and Invisible Needle, threw some decent blast spells in there like Wings of Flurry, Manyjaws, Ray of Stupidity, etc. and filled all of my remaining spells-known slots with utility as I didn't need any other blasting for quite a while.

Hands-down the best utility spell you can get for this kind of character is Deftness (Dragon Magazine #302 page 49), as it's a cantrip that gives a +2 insight bonus on the next skill check the touched creature makes in the next minute. Cast it on anyone and everyone that needs to make a meaningful skill check out of combat, such as the rogue for his Open Lock / Disable Device checks. If possible, after casting it use the Aid Another action for an additional +2 to their skill roll.

Another great utility spell is Emerald Planes (Dragon Magazine #323 pages 79-80). It creates 5ft-square walls of force at Spell Level 2 (3 levels earlier than the Wall of Force spell.)

Pick up the True Strike spell or True Casting depending on how much you use a crossbow.

Displacer Form is great as well, since when you need it, you need it. You turn into a large-sized tentacled purple panther beast. Unlike most polymorphing effects, when it's active, supernatural abilities such as your Draconic Breath and Invisible Needle feats still work, as does spellcasting.

I'd suggest you scour the "God's Tools" threads. Although they were made for wizards, they contain some choice spell options for utility-based spontaneous casters too.

As for things to remove your familiar, I recommend the "Arcane Reabsorption + Draconic Vigor" combo (it has nothing to do with true dragons). Arcane Reabsorption (Dragon Magazine #348 page 88) is an ACF that removes a familiar and lets you recover spells that don't get through spell resistance. Combine that with Draconic Vigor, and you recover HP for every spell you cast, and break even when you cast a spell that you recover with Arcane Reabsorption.

A Lesser Rod of Dragons Blood would also help, as would Memento Magicka if you can afford them.

Red_Death01
2013-09-11, 05:43 AM
Being a spontaneous caster with a lot of utility is difficult, what with the limitation on spells known or having a fixed list. I suggest this class a lot, but have you looked at the Sha'ir from Dragon Compendium?.

Sadly my DM is against Dragon Magazines and isn't too fond of them. While I could be wrong I think the compendium are just the magainzes reprinted in book format.

John Longarrow
2013-09-11, 06:34 AM
For utility, have you looked at beguiler? It isn't heavy on combat for its spells (comparatively) but may give you the versatility you are looking for.

Pilo
2013-09-11, 06:40 AM
Beguiler from PHB 2 is a solid choice. If you can use Dragon Compendium, Bloodline feats can add some nice spells to your spell list. Plus, you can add some reserve feat for at-will goodies.

Warlock might do it too, you will have less tricks until level 12 where you can craft any magic items you have the feat for (I advise you to take scribe scroll then).

Azoth
2013-09-11, 07:22 AM
Two things came to mind if you aren't set on Sorcerer with you dragon wrought fun.

Warmage+sandshaper. Warmage+rainbow servant.

Both of them grant big boons to the warmage by adding spells to your spell list, this combined with the Warmage's spellcasting mechanic of knowing automatically every spell on its spell list at a level it can cast means that it can spontaneously cast all those newly acquired spells.