PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Potions: Plasmids & Tonics [PEACH]

Milo v3
2013-09-11, 04:14 AM
Brew Plasmid
You are able to brew eldritch potions known as plasmids.
Prerequisites: Brew Potion, Caster Level 7
Benefit: You can turn any potion you are creating into a Plasmid. This changes the base price to the following: spell level × its caster level × 900 gp. An EVE hypo or tonic may not be turned into a plasmid.

Brew EVE
You are able to brew eldritch potions known as EVE Hypos.
Prerequisites: Brew Potion, Caster Level 5
Benefit: You can turn any potion you are creating into an EVE Hypo. This changes the base price to the following: spell level × its minimum caster level × 10 gp. A plasmid or tonic may not be turned into an EVE Hypo.

Brew Tonic
You are able to brew eldritch potions known as tonics.
Prerequisites: Brew Potion, Caster Level 9
Benefit: You can turn any potion you are creating into a Tonic. This changes the base price to the following: spell level × its caster level × 1200gp. An EVE hypo or plasmid may not be turned into a tonic. Spells that have instantaneous duration or that stop once discharged can't be turned into a Tonic.

ADAM and EVE
ADAM is a bodies measure of how much it can be safely modified and warped with eldritch potions. Every creature naturally has a number of ADAM equal to 2 + double it's Constitution Score. Once spent, ADAM doesn't naturally increase and can only be restored through magical means and rituals.

EVE is an individuals reserve of vital energy used to activate plasmids which are readied within their bodies. An individual has a reserve of EVE equal to the sum of their Constitution and Intelligence scores. EVE is restored from EVE Hypo's (see below) and through drinking water. Any day where you drink at least the necessary amount of water, you regain a number of EVE equal to your Constitution modifier.

Plasmids
When an individual imbues a Plasmid, the magic doesn't activate immediately. It instead makes the magic bond to the individual and rely on their internal power. Once the Plasmid has been drunk, the target loses ADAM equal to the spells level (minimum 1). If this would lower their ADAM to zero or less, they become "spliced". After this the Plasmid counts as Readied.

A readied Plasmid can have it's effects activated with a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity, and the expenditure of EVE equal to the spells level. A Plasmid can be removed with an eight hour long ritual, which means it is now longer readied and you regain 1 ADAM.

EVE Hypo
An EVE Hypo completely loses it's normal effects once created, instead becoming liquid EVE. When drunk it restores points of EVE equal to it's spell level.

Tonic
When an individual imbues a Tonic, the magic ties powerfully into your body. Once the Tonic has been drunk, the target loses ADAM equal to double spells level + 2 (minimum 3). If this would lower their ADAM to zero or less, they become "spliced". After this the Tonic counts as Active.

An active Tonic has it's effects active as long as you have at least one point of EVE. A Tonic can be removed with an eight hour long ritual, which means it is now longer readied and you regain 2 ADAM.

Spliced
Whenever an individual with the Spliced condition rests, they must make a Will Save (DC 20 + Plasmids readied + Tonics active). If they fail this check they recieve 1d4 points of corruption and depravity (roll seperately). A target may lose the Spliced condition if they raise their ADAM above 0, but this doesn't remove any corruption or depravity induced.

Construct Splicers
Constructs can be modified with a Heal Check (DC 25), and the expenditure of 3,000 gp worth of body parts from creatures that died within the last week. This causes the construct to have a constitution score of 10 for the purpose of plasmids and tonics. This effective constitution score can be increased, with the cost equal to the amount that would be required to be spent on an armour enhancement bonus of the same amount as the resulting Constitution bonus.

Examples
{table=head]Level|Spell|Tonic Allowed|Name
0|Detect Poison|Plasmid Only|Paranoia 1
|Know Direction|Plasmid Only|Compass
|Resistance|Tonic Allowed|Lucky Charm
|Stabilize|Plasmid Only|Jump Start
|Virtue|Tonic Allowed|Hardened
1|Ant Hault|Tonic Allowed|Pack Mule
|Comprehend Languages|Tonic Allowed|Translator 1
|Crafter's Fortune|Plasmid Only|?
|Cure Light Wounds|Plasmid Only|Heretics Blessing 1
|Disguise Self|Tonic Allowed|Changeling 1
|Endure Elements|Tonic Allowed|Blanket
|Enlarge Person|Tonic Allowed|Giant
|Entropic Shield|Tonic Allowed|Bullet Proof
|Expeditious Retreat|Tonic Allowed|Aero Dash 1
|Feather Fall|Tonic Allowed|Freefall
|Feather Step|Tonic Allowed|Careful
|Hide from Animals|Tonic Allowed|Blind Pet
|Hide from Undead|Tonic Allowed|?
|Innocence|Tonic Allowed|Devils Innocence
|Invigorate|Tonic Allowed|Tireless
|Jump|Tonic Allowed|Spring
|Keen Senses|Tonic Allowed|Guardsmen
|Longstrider|Tonic Allowed|Dash
|Mage Armor|Tonic Allowed|?
|Magic Fang|Tonic Allowed|?
|Memory Lapse|Plasmid Only|Amnesia
|Negate Aroma|Tonic Allowed|?
|Pass Without a Trace|Tonic Allowed|Shadowless
|Produce Flame|Tonic Allowed|Incinerate
|Protection from [Alignment]|Tonic Allowed|Opinionated
|Remove Fear|Tonic Allowed|Lions Courage
|Restful Sleep|Tonic Allowed|Insomiacs Wish
|Sanctuary|Tonic Allowed|?
|Shield|Tonic Allowed|Aegis
|Speak with Animals|Tonic Allowed|Poseidon Voice
|Stone Fist|Tonic Allowed|Hammer Fist
|Timely Inspiration|Plasmid Only|?
|Touch of the Sea|Tonic Allowed|Atlantis Burst
|Undetectable Alignment|Tonic Allowed|Devils Halo
2|Alter Self|Tonic Allowed|Changeling 2
|Aid|Tonic Allowed|?
|Barkskin|Tonic Allowed|Armoured SKin
|Blur|Tonic Allowed|Mirage 1
|Bull's Strength|Tonic Allowed|Stronger than Hercules
|Cat's Grace|Tonic Allowed|Nimble Step
|Cure Moderate Wounds|Plasmid Only|Heretics Blessing 2
|Darkvision|Tonic Allowed|Night Eye
|Delay Poison|Tonic Allowed|Paranoia 2
|Eagle's Splendor|Tonic Allowed|Born Leader
|Elemental Speech|Tonic Allowed|Primal Voice
|Elemental Touch|Tonic Allowed|Elemental Fist
|Fox's Cunning|Tonic Allowed|Smarter than Einstein
|Heroism|Tonic Allowed|Born Hero
|Hidden Speech|Tonic Allowed|Whisper
|Invisibility|Tonic Allowed|Houdini
|Levitate|Tonic Allowed|?
|Mirror Image|Tonic Allowed|Reflection
|Misdirection|Tonic Allowed|?
|Owl's Wisdom|Tonic Allowed|Understanding
|Perceive Cues|Tonic Allowed|Detective
|Protection from Arrows|Tonic Allowed|?
|Rage|Tonic Allowed|Enrage
|Remove Paralysis|Plasmid Only|?
|Resist Energy|Tonic Allowed|?
|Spider Climb|Tonic Allowed|Spider Grip
|Tongues|Tonic Allowed|Translator 2
|Transmute Potion to Poison|Plasmid Only|Chemical Weapons
|Tree Shape|Tonic Allowed|?
|Vomit Swarm|Plasmid Only|Swarm
3|Arcane sight|Tonic Allowed|?
|Beast Shape 1|Tonic Allowed|Animal Skin
|Blink|Tonic Allowed|?
|Bloodhound|Tonic Allowed|Bloodhound
|Cure Serious Wounds|Plasmid Only|Heretics Blessing 3
|Displacement|Tonic Allowed|Mirage 2
|Draconic Reservoir|Plasmid Only|?
|Elemental Aura|Tonic Allowed|Ele/mentla Crown
|Fly|Tonic Allowed|Hermes Step
|Gaesous Form|Tonic Allowed|Smoke
|Glibness|Tonic Allowed|Cheats Tongue
|Good Hope|Tonic Allowed|Morale Boost
|Greater Magic Fang|Tonic Allowed|?
|Haste|Tonic Allowed|Aero Blast
|Meld with Stone|Tonic Allowed|Earth Glide
|Nondetection|Tonic Allowed|?
|Protection from Energy|Plasmid Only|?
|Remove Blindess/Deafness|Plasmid Only|?
|Remove Curse|Plasmid Only|?
|Remove Disease|Plasmid Only|?
|Speak with Plants|Tonic Allowed|Green Thumb
|Thorn Body|Tonic Allowed|Thorns
|Water Breathing|Tonic Allowed|Gills
|Water Walk|Tonic Allowed|Poseidon Step[/table]

Dr. Yes
2013-09-11, 09:03 AM
Not a terrible way to get Bioshock stuff into your D&D game, but be aware that you're bringing the power level WAY up by introducing this. Effectively, by inserting these feats you give everyone infinite casts per day of any 1st through 3rd level spell they want. Every mildly optimized character can now fly around in combat with Mirror Image and Haste up entangling their earthbound enemies, raining down fireballs, dispelling magic, summoning alligators to do their bidding, and so on. There is now very little reason not to have every minute/level or greater duration buff active for every combat.

Replacing every use of the word "score" with "modifier" would tone it down some, as would quadrupling the prices of plasmids to put them more in line with wands.

Amechra
2013-09-11, 09:05 AM
Ooh, might be fun for an E6 game where everyone plays mundanes, with Plasmids and Tonics the only form of magic.

Now, let's see... Warforged Juggernauts for the Big Daddies, creepy little Halflings for the Little Sisters (who would need a feat or something that lets them recover EVE from corpses).

One thing I would warn about is that Bear's Endurance is better than free as a Tonic; it costs 2 ADAM to ready, but increases your ADAM and EVE by 2. Otherwise, I can't see anything too broken... though the Depravity/Corruption gain is a little low.

I mean, you need dozens of points of Corruption or Depravity to die/go crazy from it. Maybe have them perform the save each time they sleep with an excess of Plasmids/Tonics?

If you give me a sec, I can convert over a form of Corruption that I always liked over to work with this stuff.

Milo v3
2013-09-11, 05:56 PM
Not a terrible way to get Bioshock stuff into your D&D game, but be aware that you're bringing the power level WAY up by introducing this. Effectively, by inserting these feats you give everyone infinite casts per day of any 1st through 3rd level spell they want. Every mildly optimized character can now fly around in combat with Mirror Image and Haste up entangling their earthbound enemies, raining down fireballs, dispelling magic, summoning alligators to do their bidding, and so on. There is now very little reason not to have every minute/level or greater duration buff active for every combat.

Replacing every use of the word "score" with "modifier" would tone it down some, as would quadrupling the prices of plasmids to put them more in line with wands.
Well... firstly, you can't summon Alligators. I've never seen stats for them :smalltongue:
Also, only some spells can become potions.

It has to be:

3rd-level or lower spell that you know and that targets one or more creatures
So no summoning.

Hm... I'll probably change the scores to modifiers. Though that serverely limits the usefulness of it... Unless I make a splicer class or something to make up for it.

Ooh, might be fun for an E6 game where everyone plays mundanes, with Plasmids and Tonics the only form of magic.

Now, let's see... Warforged Juggernauts for the Big Daddies, creepy little Halflings for the Little Sisters (who would need a feat or something that lets them recover EVE from corpses).

One thing I would warn about is that Bear's Endurance is better than free as a Tonic; it costs 2 ADAM to ready, but increases your ADAM and EVE by 2. Otherwise, I can't see anything too broken... though the Depravity/Corruption gain is a little low.

I mean, you need dozens of points of Corruption or Depravity to die/go crazy from it. Maybe have them perform the save each time they sleep with an excess of Plasmids/Tonics?

If you give me a sec, I can convert over a form of Corruption that I always liked over to work with this stuff.
I'd like to see that form of corruption thingy, though until then I'll modify the Corruption rules for this.

Dr. Yes
2013-09-12, 08:34 AM
snip

Ah, sorry, I was thinking crocodiles. I missed the bit about the spells having to have a target, so that at least takes summoning off the table. Just be aware that running around with constant Haste, Fly, Mirror Image, Barkskin, Shield, Enlarge Person, and Heroism is...good. Really good. The price takes some of the edge off for Tonics, but I still think you should consider bringing the price of Plasmids up to at least match wands (to which they are unconditionally superior).

Milo v3
2013-09-12, 08:22 PM
Ah, sorry, I was thinking crocodiles. I missed the bit about the spells having to have a target, so that at least takes summoning off the table. Just be aware that running around with constant Haste, Fly, Mirror Image, Barkskin, Shield, Enlarge Person, and Heroism is...good. Really good. The price takes some of the edge off for Tonics, but I still think you should consider bringing the price of Plasmids up to at least match wands (to which they are unconditionally superior).

Akay. Modified the costs, and I'm adding in some PF spells to the table.

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-12, 08:26 PM
You know, considering plasmid design is part of my job, it is very, very jarring to see plasmids referred to as "eldritch potions". I suppose I should feel like some sort of occultist now.

Milo v3
2013-09-12, 08:54 PM
You know, considering plasmid design is part of my job, it is very, very jarring to see plasmids referred to as "eldritch potions". I suppose I should feel like some sort of occultist now.

Of course you should, science is just understood magic :smalltongue:

But seriously blame Bioshock. I don't care if they call it gene tonics, plasmids, and "genetics", those things are just magic potions you inject into you. I could have choosen to not call them Plasmids here, but this is meant to replicate the Plasmids from Bioshock so it would be abit wierd.

bekeleven
2013-09-13, 12:04 AM
Notes:

Do you have general rules on when plasmids and tonics are allowed, or are you just making a list? Because "when brewing a potion" means that I can't have, for instance, electro bolt (shocking grasp), incinerate (burning hands/fireball), telekinesis (telekinesis... duh), insect swarm (summon swarm), enrage (Rage)... in fact, now that I look at it... literally no plasmids from Bioshock 1. The closest mechanical effect is plasmids that incinerate or electrocute the user. If I were to model plasmids, I would basically homebrew it as "you can put any spell into this plasmid, and using the plasmid lets you cast it using EVE instead of a spell slot." Introduces some balance issues of course, but so does your implementation.
Clarify how 0 level spells work with the following: ADAM lost when equipping plasmids, EVE used when using plasmids, ADAM lost when equipping tonics.
+2 ADAM for unequipping tonics is a lot easier to cheese than -2 LA for Incarnate Construct. Clarify its effects on low-level tonics, probably including 0 level.
When things rely on half of a spell's level (rounded up), all I see is "Time to find some good +1 metamagic for half my spells".

Milo v3
2013-09-13, 12:22 AM
Notes:

Do you have general rules on when plasmids and tonics are allowed, or are you just making a list? Because "when brewing a potion" means that I can't have, for instance, electro bolt (shocking grasp), incinerate (burning hands/fireball), telekinesis (telekinesis... duh), insect swarm (summon swarm), enrage (Rage)... in fact, now that I look at it... literally no plasmids from Bioshock 1. The closest mechanical effect is plasmids that incinerate or electrocute the user. If I were to model plasmids, I would basically homebrew it as "you can put any spell into this plasmid, and using the plasmid lets you cast it using EVE instead of a spell slot." Introduces some balance issues of course, but so does your implementation.
Yes. I realize this is an issue. But I made this while sleep deprieved so I didn't expect it to be any good in the first place. On the other hand:
Aero Dash (Expeditious Retreat)
Electrobolt (Produce Flame *Replace the word Fire with Electricity*)
Houdini (Invisibility)
Incinerate! (Produce Flame)
Sonic Boom (Produce Flame *Replace the word Fire with Sonic*)
Insect Swarm (Vomit Swarm)
Target Dummy (Could be Mirror Image?)

Though:
Cyclone Trap
Enrage
Geyser Trap
Gravity Well
Hypnotise
Security Bullseye
Scout
Telekinesis
Winterblast

Will require either homebrew spells or.... Look at the To Do list from the First post.

Clarify how 0 level spells work with the following: ADAM lost when equipping plasmids, EVE used when using plasmids, ADAM lost when equipping tonics.
Added.

+2 ADAM for unequipping tonics is a lot easier to cheese than -2 LA for Incarnate Construct. Clarify its effects on low-level tonics, probably including 0 level.
Changed the ADAM Cost for Tonics.

When things rely on half of a spell's level (rounded up), all I see is "Time to find some good +1 metamagic for half my spells".

Meh. Don't know what to do 'bout this one.

bekeleven
2013-09-13, 01:08 AM
Electrobolt (Produce Flame *Replace the word Fire with Electricity*)
Incinerate! (Produce Flame)
Sonic Boom (Produce Flame *Replace the word Fire with Sonic*)Yeah, I'd forgotten about produce flame's oddly unique mechanics. And you're looking for Energy Substitution, a +0 metamagic from complete arcane.

That means, I guess, that you only can't reproduce said plasmids if you want them to be more effective than Produce Flame.

And Vomit Swarm is a hilarious idea. Upchuck insects on command! Order today!

Meh. Don't know what to do 'bout this one.
Not too many options:

Keep as is
Keep as is, include fractions - minor bookkeeping increase, and D&D doesn't usually deal with fractions
Double available ADAM resources, stop dividing spell level by 2 - identical to previous, minus the stigma of including fractions.

Milo v3
2013-09-13, 01:38 AM
Yeah, I'd forgotten about produce flame's oddly unique mechanics. And you're looking for Energy Substitution, a +0 metamagic from complete arcane.

That means, I guess, that you only can't reproduce said plasmids if you want them to be more effective than Produce Flame.

And Vomit Swarm is a hilarious idea. Upchuck insects on command! Order today!

Some splat books have feats like Greater Brew Potion which allow for 6th and 9th level spells to be made as potions. So you could apply metamagic to improve the damage of the Produce Flame abit.

Not too many options:

Keep as is
Keep as is, include fractions - minor bookkeeping increase, and D&D doesn't usually deal with fractions
Double available ADAM resources, stop dividing spell level by 2 - identical to previous, minus the stigma of including fractions.

That last one could work. Very lazy, but my generation isn't known for it's hard working attitude :smalltongue: