PDA

View Full Version : Doppleganger with split personality

yuedarkangel
2013-09-11, 05:01 AM
So I started thinking about a character to play with my nephew as a slight comical relief, a doppleganger who suffers from multiple personality disorder. It has three personality's none of which are aware of the others in any form other than that they have herd tales of the other two (god that was confusing to write.) Every day I would roll a d6 to decide who takes over for the day.

-Sir Donaldson Von Tuttlebuck, gentleman explorer extraordinaire. Who is a sorcerer
-Miss Florence Jane Clementine Edington. A bard who sings in opera.
-Squirrel Boy, champion of the forests. A Rogue.

All three are independent characters, and cannot draw upon the others ability's or skills.

Thoughts, comments?

prufock
2013-09-11, 06:29 AM
You will want the Chameleon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b) prestige class. Bard is a good choice to get into it, since a bard can kind of "pretend" he's a sorcerer or rogue as well. Factotum would also be a decent choice. Beguiler or factotum could also work, but it's hard to pretend to be a bard without bardic music. Rogue can do in a pinch if you want to UMD items a lot.

Crake
2013-09-11, 07:32 AM
You will want the Chameleon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b) prestige class. Bard is a good choice to get into it, since a bard can kind of "pretend" he's a sorcerer or rogue as well. Factotum would also be a decent choice. Beguiler or factotum could also work, but it's hard to pretend to be a bard without bardic music. Rogue can do in a pinch if you want to UMD items a lot.

I think from what he's saying, he's gonna have 3 different character sheets for each of the characters, with completely different classes and abilities, rather than trying to put together one character that fits all 3 personalities, but only draws on the abilities it would use

prufock
2013-09-11, 09:15 AM
I think from what he's saying, he's gonna have 3 different character sheets for each of the characters, with completely different classes and abilities, rather than trying to put together one character that fits all 3 personalities, but only draws on the abilities it would use

In that case I have literally no clue how to build this character. Unless your DM is just going to houserule "yeah, go ahead and build 3 different characters occupying the same body."

Maybe there's some ridiculous Dark Chaos Shuffle-type stuff you can do, I dunno.

Icarusthefallen
2013-09-11, 02:02 PM
Althought the DM could make the house rules, I have played a similar character and followed the advice already presented here. I did indeed use a bard and each of the personalities drew different aspects of the class to light. Bard is rather verstile and when roleplayed from different perspectives has a lot to offer in this type of idea.

On a side note, I once had a player who did a similar idea but with gender, that one was tricky since the player was not a doppleganger (I don't remember what the reason for the shift was but it was legit) so he/she would have the same clothes on but different physical apperances. (I appologise for spelling) The player decided to dress the character in loose clothing that would drape the character and not show feminine features and fit a thugish masculine style. The shoes worn had inserts that were placed in or taken out while other characters slept.