PDA

View Full Version : Is this doable?

Yogibear41
2013-09-11, 05:38 AM
Okay so assuming the DM doesn't throw a book at me is this legal for an e6 game?

Step 1. Have an artificer makes an eternal wand of stoneshape (2nd level) as off of the trapsmith casting list. Normally scrolls made by artificers are neither arcane nor divine, but it specifically says that eternal wands have to be arcane.

Step 2. Give said wand to a wizard who has scribe scroll, have him use the wand to create a scroll of a 2nd level stoneshape.

Step 3. Give said scroll to a spell to power erudite(who is normally capped at 2nd level spells converted in an e6 game) allowing him to make spellcraft and psicraft checks on it so that he can convert it into a known 2nd level power?

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-11, 06:12 AM
I'm fairly sure you can't use spells stored in magic items to craft other magic items.

Erik Vale
2013-09-11, 06:26 AM
I can't see any reason why it isn't doable.

However, a STP Euridite is already involved, The DM should break a book over your head. And then make you pay for it.

TuggyNE
2013-09-11, 06:45 AM
I'm fairly sure you can't use spells stored in magic items to craft other magic items.

You can, but the problem comes in at that step anyway; just because it's an arcane spell doesn't mean the wizard can cast it (at that level) actually.

Edit: Derp, forgot about the eternal wand activation. Don't mind me.

nedz
2013-09-11, 06:51 AM
Step 1
Looks fine

Step 2
How is the Wizard learning a spell from a Wand ?
How is the Wizard learning a spell from off his list ?
Now he could research it, but that will set the level to whatever it is on his list, if he succeeds.

Yogibear41
2013-09-11, 07:01 AM
The wizard is not learning the spell at all he is simply creating a magic item, which can be done as long as he has the prereq feat which in this case is scribe scroll and someone or in this case something provides the spells necessary to create said item.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-09-11, 08:32 AM
Wouldn't it be simpler and less rules-dubious just to have a Trapsmith with Scribe Scroll?

Evolved Shrimp
2013-09-11, 08:40 AM
Scribe Scroll specifically states that you can create a scroll of "a spell you know". A caster does not "know" spells in items.

So, no, this isn't doable as described.

Fable Wright
2013-09-11, 08:44 AM
Wouldn't it be simpler and less rules-dubious just to have a Trapsmith with Scribe Scroll?

Because, in order to get 2nd level Trapsmith spells, you need 3 levels in a PrC you can only enter at 5th level, when everyone is capped at level 6.

Though, getting Precocious Apprentice as a Trapsmith capstone feat and Scribe Scroll would be reasonable, but isn't RAW.

Chronos
2013-09-11, 09:05 AM
You can use spells from a scroll to make a magic item, but given that the goal here is making a scroll, that doesn't help. And I don't think you can use spells from any other item.

nedz
2013-09-11, 10:49 AM
The wizard is not learning the spell at all he is simply creating a magic item, which can be done as long as he has the prereq feat which in this case is scribe scroll and someone or in this case something provides the spells necessary to create said item.

Scribe Scroll [Item Creation]
Prerequisite
Caster level 1st.
Benefit
You can create a scroll of any spell that you know. ...

You need to know the spell to scribe the scroll.

Tyndmyr
2013-09-11, 10:56 AM
So? For a wizard, a spell you know isn't a spell you have memorized. It can be a spell in your spellbook. Or a spell in someone else's spellbook(with a check).

Requiring the check as per someone else's spellbook would be reasonable, though.

Technically, a level 6 cleric with magical training and alternative sourced spell(and obviously, scribe scroll) could do it straight up.

If you *need* it at level two, then Sanctum Spell should suffice.

Story
2013-09-11, 11:02 AM
But this isn't a spell in someone's spellbook. It's not even a real wand. It's just a generic wondrous item.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-09-11, 11:58 AM
Because, in order to get 2nd level Trapsmith spells, you need 3 levels in a PrC you can only enter at 5th level, when everyone is capped at level 6.

Though, getting Precocious Apprentice as a Trapsmith capstone feat and Scribe Scroll would be reasonable, but isn't RAW.
Ah, missed the e6 part. An artificer to make the scroll, then.

Yogibear41
2013-09-11, 04:23 PM
artificers scrolls are neither arcane or divine to prevent things like this. :smallfrown: