PDA

View Full Version : PT - Group with no Wizard - Invest in UMD?

Letric
2013-09-11, 08:57 AM
My group doesn't have a wizard.

Our party composition is:

Priest - Me - Like Cloistered Cleric
Melee Rogue with Dex to damage, going SA damage
Summoner and Eidolon
Druid focused on melee Wildshape

We have limited arcane magic due to the Summoner, should I invest on UMD?

My CHA is 12, I was thinking about getting the trait to get UMD as Class Skill.

Is that worth it? I won't have optimized UMD

3 - Class Skill
1 - CHA
7 - Ranks
3 - Can buy item later for the CHA rolls

That's not really a high score for UMD. I'm mostly taking feats like Craft Wondrous Items because I like it.

DementedFellow
2013-09-11, 09:12 AM
The rogue should. Your actions are better spent elsewhere.

Psyren
2013-09-11, 09:17 AM
Is "PT" Pathfinder?

Let the Summoner be the one to use UMD - they are Cha-based, and he gets it as a class skill too.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-11, 09:20 AM
Is PF's Magic domain different? Cause that would solve your problems quite nicely

Magic Domain
Granted Power
Use scrolls, wands, and other devices with spell completion or spell trigger activation as a wizard of one-half your cleric level (at least 1st level). For the purpose of using a scroll or other magic device, if you are also a wizard, actual wizard levels and these effective wizard levels stack.

Psyren
2013-09-11, 09:25 AM
Is PF's Magic domain different? Cause that would solve your problems quite nicely

I think he chose his domains already if I recall his last thread correctly. But yes, the Magic domain in PF no longer grants that benefit :smallfrown:

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-11, 09:29 AM
I assumed he hadn't choose his domains since he mentioned getting a trait for UMD and AFAIK they can only be taken prior to the start of the game (baring the extra trait feat I guess).

However unless there is a Cloistered Cleric Archetype I don't know about (which is likely, since I am just beginning to familiarize with PF) it seems OP is playing 3.P so having access to 3e Magic domain may be on the table depending on how charitable his DM feels.

Psyren
2013-09-11, 09:33 AM
He is playing this third party class (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/priest), which functions similarly to Cloistered Cleric.

As for whether 3.5 material is allowed, I have no idea.

Letric
2013-09-11, 09:33 AM
I assumed he hadn't choose his domains since he mentioned getting a trait for UMD and AFAIK they can only be taken prior to the start of the game (baring the extra trait feat I guess).

However unless there is a Cloistered Cleric Archetype I don't know about (which is likely, since I am just beginning to familiarize with PF) it seems OP is playing 3.P so having access to 3e Magic domain may be on the table depending on how charitable his DM feels.

Let's go slowly:

- No 3.5 Material allowed, only PF
- Domain Magic doesn't allow to use Wands as Wizards anymore in Pathfinder
- Yes, it's Pathfinder
- Didn't know Summoners had UMD as class skills, now they're even more OP
- I don't think Rogue went UMD way, plus our party is fairly new to the game. They can basically remember their Rolls on attack and skills, so I don't pretend they will be expert on Arcane Spells

My PC is almost done, I have Travel and Healing Domain.
Cloistered Cleric is 3.5, in PF I'm using 3rd Party Priest, which is almost the same as Cloistered Cleric, it's a Caster Cleric with light armor, poor BAB.

Psyren
2013-09-11, 09:36 AM
- Didn't know Summoners had UMD as class skills, now they're even more OP

They are indeed powerful, but realistically your class is still stronger.

Anyway, he likely has the highest Cha in the group and UMD as a class skill, so again I recommend letting him be the UMD guy.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-11, 09:40 AM
He is playing this third party class (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/priest), which functions similarly to Cloistered Cleric.

As for whether 3.5 material is allowed, I have no idea.

Ah, I see, missed the "like" part of it.

Letric
2013-09-11, 09:55 AM
Ill ask the Summoner if he has UMD.

Best scenario possible, because I didn't like much the idea of having to fill another role on the party.

I hope it works! Now I can concentrate on my Crafting.

Any suggestions on a level 1 feat?

I was thinking about going Additional Trait and getting

Adopted
Elven Reflexes (Half-Elf) - +2 bonus on Initiative. Like Reactionary this as a great bonus. If you want a different combat trait this is a great way to get the Initiative bonus through Adopted.

Extremely Fashionable > Bluff as Class Skill. +1 Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate

Psyren
2013-09-11, 10:04 AM
Are you the face? (Your Cha is kind of low for that role, which is why I ask.) If not, I wouldn't bother boosting Bluff, let the Rogue or Summoner do the talking.

I would grab a magical trait instead - Magical Lineage or Focused Mind for instance. Or a Faith trait - Birthmark is insanely good.

Letric
2013-09-11, 10:10 AM
Are you the face? (Your Cha is kind of low for that role, which is why I ask.) If not, I wouldn't bother boosting Bluff, let the Rogue or Summoner do the talking.

I would grab a magical trait instead - Magical Lineage or Focused Mind for instance. Or a Faith trait - Birthmark is insanely good.

Well, the face is sorta divided between the rogue and me. We used to have a Paladin but he left.
I'm more of an obnoxious know it all that just won't shut up, but sometimes I can be decent and talk.

I have many skill points: 6 Class + 1 Human + 2 Int divided into:

Perception 7 Ranks
Sense Motive 6
Spellcraft 7
Arcana - Dungeon - Religion - Nature - The Planes 6 Ranks All

Linguistics 7 > I think I'll be dropping this one of

If I do that, I have 2 Skills left to fill which will probably be Diplomacy and what else? Sometimes being able to lie is GOOD