PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Phalanx Soldier archetype optimization

jaybird
2013-09-11, 09:46 AM
The general idea is that he trips and makes AoOs at reach, and if anything closes in, he does the Captain America and switches to shield bashing. A few questions:

1. How much do I lose for not going Lore Warden for free Combat Expertise, and are there any ways I can pick up Improved/Greater Trip without Combat Expertise?

2. How can I boost my reach as far as possible without depending on size increases?

NightbringerGGZ
2013-09-11, 10:38 AM
1. If you stick with the fighter class, not much. A free feat isn't all that important when you gain one every level.

2. The Lunge feat.

IronFist
2013-09-11, 11:11 AM
Lunge does not work for AoO, though. You would need Combat Patrol.

NightbringerGGZ
2013-09-11, 01:27 PM
True. Lunge for normal attacks, Combat Patrol to move around and trip. Pick up the Stand Still and Steady Engagement feats as well if you can fit them into your build.

grarrrg
2013-09-11, 08:17 PM
are there any ways I can pick up Improved/Greater Trip without Combat Expertise?

Regular Monk can get Imp. Trip at level 6.
That's probably a little more Monk than you want though.
Maneuver Master Monk can get any Imp (combat maneuver) as any bonus feat. So only 1 level is needed.
You also gain a free combat maneuver when you make a Full Attack

For Greater Trip, you're only option is 6 levels of Maneuver Master.

2. How can I boost my reach as far as possible without depending on size increases?

It's been mentioned. Combat Patrol, and size boosts are your best bet.
You might check to see if Living Monolith (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/i-m/living-monolith) would be allowed, at level 1 you get 3/day uses of Swift Action Enlarge person, with a duration of 6 minutes.
Quite nice, and you annoy the casters less (and no one has to use a Standard action to cast).