PDA

View Full Version : The Jade Empress Longwing [3.5 Creature, WIP / PEACH]

Palanan
2013-09-11, 12:49 PM
Jade Empress Longwing (Ornithoptera regna-iliata)

Diminutive Animal (Insect)
Hit Dice: ¼ d8 (1 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: Fly 20 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 16 (+4 size, +2 Dex), touch 16, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-17
Attack: wing buffet +0 (1 nonlethal)
Full Attack: wing buffet +0 (1 nonlethal)
Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Distasteful flesh, aposematic coloration
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 10, Cha 2
Skills: Listen +2, Spot +7
Feats: Alertness
Environment: humid tropical rainforest
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 1/10
Treasure: none
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: None
Level Adjustment: -

Named for the queen regent of a distant empire, the Jade Empress Longwing is found on a single tropical mountainside in the far humid south of her realm. The largest butterfly known, its brilliant black-and-emerald wings span twelve inches from tip to tip; its body--tufted with reddish fur--is heavier than many bats or mice, and is distinctly warm to the touch.

Its caterpillars only feed on a single species of poisonous pipevine, concentrating the toxins in their bodies as they grow. Parasitic wasps take their toll on the caterpillar stages, but the full-grown butterflies have little to fear; their flagrant colors are a clear warning of their unpalatable nature, and only the largest tropical birds will attack them--often to the birds' bitter regret.

The Jade Empress Longwing lives up to three months on its rainforest slopes, winging between canopy flowers at a height and speed few butterflies can match. Because of its habit of following a set route among the best flowering trees, as well as its relatively long lifespan, the Longwing possesses a modest memory and a basic capacity for learning.

Its size and beauty alone make it a valuable prize for zealous collectors, and illicit expeditions sometimes set out to secure a wild specimen--despite the fierce edicts the Empress has declared for the protection of her namesake. At the Imperial capital, Longwings are carefully bred for the palace gardens--and, according to courtyard whispers, for stranger purposes as well.

Wing Buffet (Ex): An agitated Longwing will fly at its target--usually another Longwing or a small, hapless bird--and attempt to batter it out of the Longwing's territory. Longwings usually dart out of reach of larger assailants.

Distasteful Flesh (Ex): The Longwing's body is suffused with acidic toxins, the result of its larval diet of pipevine stems. Any creature that bites or otherwise ingests part of a Longwing takes 1 point of acid damage and must make a DC 12 Fortitude save or be nauseated for one minute.

Aposematic Coloration (Ex): Owing to its gaudy patterns, a Longwing takes a -8 racial penalty to all Hide checks.

Skills: A Longwing has a +4 racial bonus to Spot checks.

Special: A sorcerer, wizard or wu jen who takes a Jade Empress Longwing as a familiar gains a +2 bonus to Fortitude saves and +1 caster level to all spells with the [acid] descriptor. Although Longwings ordinarily only live a handful of months, the strange, deep bonds established with an arcane spellcaster may prolong its life for many years.

Notes

Just a quick idea I had, based very closely on the real-life Queen Alexandra's Birdwing (Ornithoptera alexandrae). The real butterfly's name is specific to a historical individual, so I changed the name, and in the process came up with what seemed a fitting context.

Also, I'm well aware that wu jen don't ordinarily gain familiars, but with Obtain Familiar and a sympathetic DM it shouldn't be too difficult.

Sources

Anonymous. Ornithoptera alexandrae, Queen Alexandra's birdwing. Encyclopedia of Life (http://eol.org/pages/130506/details).

Parsons, M. J. 1992. The world's largest butterfly endangered: The ecology, status and conservation of Ornithoptera alexandrae (Lepidoptera: Papilionidae). Tropical Lepidoptera 3 (Supplement 1): 35-60.

Straatman, R. 1971. The life history of Ornithoptera alexandrae Rothschild. Journal of the Lepidopterists' Society 25(1): 58-64.

Jormengand
2013-09-27, 02:11 PM
What's the attack bonus for the Wing attack? Presumably -4 STR +4 size = 0.

Overall, I think it's decent, and the familiar effect is nifty for those who want to throw acid everywhere.

Nauseated for 1 minute would easily make powdered Jade Empress a decent, if not very reliable poison. Not sure if this is intended.

Palanan
2013-09-27, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Jormengand
What's the attack bonus for the Wing attack? Presumably -4 STR +4 size = 0.

Umm...yes. +0 is exactly what I meant.

:smallredface:

Overall, I think it's decent, and the familiar effect is nifty for those who want to throw acid everywhere.

Thanks, and I was indeed thinking that their main utility to a PC would be as a familiar for someone who wants to notch up their acid attacks a touch.

My main concern here is that there don't seem to be all that many acid spells out there--the orbs of acid were what first came to mind, and there's a very few others scattered here and there. I haven't done a comprehensive search, and it would probably take some effort to compile a list of acid-themed spells; but I thought the Jade Empress would be a nice, interesting option for someone who wanted to go that route.

Nauseated for 1 minute would easily make powdered Jade Empress a decent, if not very reliable poison. Not sure if this is intended.

...no, it hadn't been, actually.

:smalleek:

Lappy9001
2013-09-28, 11:12 PM
Ah, just like your cuttlefish. How you make a legitimate monster out of a butterfly (a real life butterfly mind you) is baffling to me (in a very impressed way :smallcool:)

An extremely flavorful build although they apparently taste terrible :smalltongue:

Palanan
2013-09-29, 09:43 PM
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm glad my real-world creatures seem cool; as it happens, I really have a hard time coming up with magical beasts and whatnot.

Also, I'm not done with the cuttlefish yet.

:smallbiggrin: