PDA

View Full Version : Cleric swim speed spell

GilesTheCleric
2013-09-11, 01:27 PM
I have been combing through my spell archives trying to find a way for my cleric to buff himself with a swim speed, but have come up blank. After re-reading Footsteps of the Divine (CC), I got excited, but then realized that none of the deities given grant a swim speed anyway.

Is there a spell I've overlooked, or is the only way to gain a swim speed outside help?

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-11, 01:36 PM
Magic vestments can sorta do it. Your armor can then accept a lesser armor crystal of aquatic action, granting you a swim speed.

Greenish
2013-09-11, 02:03 PM
Huh. You can increase existing swim speed, you can breathe water, you can walk on water, you can survive the pressure of deep water, you can create water, curse water, bless water… but swimming truly seems to be out of the cleric's reach. :smallconfused:

GilesTheCleric
2013-09-11, 02:42 PM
Magic vestments can sorta do it. Your armor can then accept a lesser armor crystal of aquatic action, granting you a swim speed.

Hmn, that's a good idea. I ought to pick one of those up - I usually go with the restful crystal, but in light of having no swim speed that would be much more useful.

Huh. You can increase existing swim speed, you can breathe water, you can walk on water, you can survive the pressure of deep water, you can create water, curse water, bless water… but swimming truly seems to be out of the cleric's reach. :smallconfused:

That's what I'm finding. The worst bit is that I can turn fins to feet, but not feet to fins ><

Zeb
2013-09-11, 02:49 PM
Planar ally, something aquatic and make it give you a ride?:smallfrown:

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-11, 02:59 PM
They are armor crystals, and you only need the restful crystal while resting. You should get both and use the restful crystal only when resting, and the swimming crystal for the rest of the day.

Ether that, or just save a slot for lesser restoration and never sleep. One casting a day recovers from fatigue just like 8 hours of rest. Remember, divine casters recover spells at a point of the day, not through resting.

GilesTheCleric
2013-09-11, 03:40 PM
Planar ally, something aquatic and make it give you a ride?:smallfrown:

That's a good idea. If I could summon an elsewhale...

Zeb
2013-09-11, 07:41 PM
Well flying plus freedom of movement and air breathing might work.

But really why do you need a swim speed as opposed to just some way to operate underwater?

GilesTheCleric
2013-09-11, 07:54 PM
I've already tried FoM+flying. After looking through every book that could possibly include it (there are two references to it as a possibility in all of 3.5, in case you're wondering) and talking to my DM, it doesn't work.

A swim speed allows you to take 10 on swim checks. Plus it means I don't have to burn updrafts or spend standard actions swimming while I'm fighting underwater.

Zeb
2013-09-11, 08:06 PM
Can you get a hold of a domain draught or substitute domain spell(2) for the Seafolk domain and use:
The Scales of the Sealord(3)
or Airy Water(6)
or Megalodon Empowerment(7) spells?

fishyfishyfishy
2013-09-11, 08:25 PM
I assume that Shapechange is too high a level for you to consider?

Envy Domain gets you Magic Jar. I admit that it's a roundabout way to get a swim speed but it works.

I was looking at other Domains to see if there was a way to get Polymorph, but I only see Shapechange and Polymorph Any Object.

EDIT:

Can you get a hold of a domain draught or substitute domain spell(2) for the Seafolk domain and use:
or Airy Water(6)

Or that

GilesTheCleric
2013-09-11, 11:06 PM
or Airy Water(6)

I assume that Shapechange is too high a level for you to consider?

Envy Domain gets you Magic Jar. I admit that it's a roundabout way to get a swim speed but it works.

I was looking at other Domains to see if there was a way to get Polymorph, but I only see Shapechange and Polymorph Any Object.

EDIT:

Or that

Those are both excellent suggestions. I'm actually 18th lvl, so I can get whatever I please in terms of items or magic gear; the only problem is time. We're on a ticking clock with an elder evil, so I can't wait for magic items to be constructed. Domain draughts are a perfect fix, though. Magic Jar is a perfect spell for my character as well, so I'll probably go for that purely for the style points.

Thank you both! If you have any other ideas, I'm definitely still open to other possibilities.

Edit: Anyone know if elder evils are immune to magic jar? My CL is probably buff enough that it'll fail, but I don't know if there's any sort of restriction on capturing their souls -- all of my divinations thus far have failed to get me any information.

Sith_Happens
2013-09-11, 11:59 PM
The Leviathan, I assume? You lucked out, I'm pretty sure that's the one Elder Evil in the book that doesn't actively screw over divine casters.

GilesTheCleric
2013-09-12, 09:24 AM
Yup. No spoilers please! Well, I'm glad that it doesn't screw me over, but frankly I wish that it would screw me over instead of the rest of the party - they need the help more than I do.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-09-12, 09:59 AM
Domain Draught/Change domain spell to pick up Spell Domain, then memorize alter self with Anyspell?

Saintheart
2013-09-12, 10:03 AM
Sirine's Grace almost gets you there, giving you a swim speed of 60 feet, but it's Druid and Bard only.

Piggy Knowles
2013-09-12, 01:31 PM
Blackwater domain has Transformation of the Deeps as well, level 4.

Greenish
2013-09-12, 01:49 PM
Blackwater domain has Transformation of the Deeps as well, level 4.Which doesn't actually grant swim speed. Apparently they meant clerics to be walking along the bottom (which explains why the spell protects you from the pressure).

Sith_Happens
2013-09-12, 02:58 PM
Yup. No spoilers please! Well, I'm glad that it doesn't screw me over, but frankly I wish that it would screw me over instead of the rest of the party - they need the help more than I do.

Trust me, you don't. The other Elder Evils do things up to and including "divine casters cannot regain spells within 1000 miles of it."

GilesTheCleric
2013-09-12, 03:14 PM
Sirine's Grace almost gets you there, giving you a swim speed of 60 feet, but it's Druid and Bard only.

Yeah. If I had access to other spell lists (like through Anyspell, which I hadn't thought of), then it's as easy as grabbing the druid's Swim spell. It's like lvl 2 or something, and there's no reason why clerics shouldn't get it.

Trust me, you don't. The other Elder Evils do things up to and including "divine casters cannot regain spells within 1000 miles of it."

Hot dang. That is pretty brutal. I guess at this point in the game it doesn't matter too much - all my spells are up for 24+ hours, and I always have plane shift+greater plane shift prepared. But man, before level 13 that's rough. Even so, if that's how crazy the effects can be, I think I'd still rather have it be me that suffers. Everyone else in the party is lower-op or lower-tier, so things like that affect them much more.

Curmudgeon
2013-09-12, 04:31 PM
Seafolk domain (Stormwrack, page 110) has a couple of spells which give you a swim speed if you don't have one already, plus the granted power is a choice of feats which make you a better swimmer (with or without a swim speed) anyway.

You can pick up Alter Self with the Alteration (Dragonlance Campaign Setting, page 102) or Transformation (Races of Eberron, pages 180-181) domains, and take the shape of a Merfolk or Locathah.

Palanan
2013-09-12, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
Seafolk domain (Stormwrack, page 110) has a couple of spells which give you a swim speed if you don't have one already, plus the granted power is a choice of feats which make you a better swimmer (with or without a swim speed) anyway.

Looks like Scales of the Sealord (Stormwrack, p. 121) would do the trick, and after that you could stack on Wings of the Sea for a total swim speed of 45 feet.