PDA

View Full Version : Wizardry 8 (Wizardry Series)

ArlEammon
2013-09-11, 02:06 PM
Wizardry 8
I just bought this game last week, and boy is it fun. The music's good, although repetitive, and the Profession system is quite interesting, giving the game more than decent replay-ability.

I think it deserves it's own thread.

Morty
2013-09-11, 02:09 PM
I recently finished Wizardry 8, and I had played it a few times before without finishing it years ago. The game is quite fun, although challenging if you don't optimize your party properly. I tried to play Wizardry 7 once, but it proved too old-school for my tastes - it was just too user-unfriendly and clunky. And I got massacred in the first fight...

ArlEammon
2013-09-11, 02:18 PM
I recently finished Wizardry 8, and I had played it a few times before without finishing it years ago. The game is quite fun, although challenging if you don't optimize your party properly. I tried to play Wizardry 7 once, but it proved too old-school for my tastes - it was just too user-unfriendly and clunky. And I got massacred in the first fight...

Ah. I am level 9 and 10 for my party. . . I have just reached Trynton, is that okay?

Morty
2013-09-11, 02:22 PM
I can't remember which level I was on when I reached Trynton, but I think that's an appropriate level for that place. The game's pretty open-ended, anyway.

factotum
2013-09-11, 03:44 PM
I played the game years ago. Never finished it, because I think they dropped the ball massively when they chose to go with a turn-based system where you give all your characters orders, then they all carry them out. This leads to a couple of issues:

1) You're sitting around for a goodly while waiting for the entire turn to finish before you can interact with the game again, which can get a bit dull, frankly.

2) You can't change targets mid-turn. This can cause problems if the target you assigned to a character dies before that character gets to act, because the character won't choose to do *nothing*, they'll pick a random target instead--and somehow that *always* seemed to be the tough guy you'd put to sleep to take them out of the fight. It was like playing WoW with companions who *always* attack the sheeped enemy no matter how many times you tell them not to!

I'm sure there was a good game hiding in there somewhere, and I got a goodly way through, but the awful combat system just eventually forced me to give up on the thing.

ArlEammon
2013-09-11, 03:45 PM
I played the game years ago. Never finished it, because I think they dropped the ball massively when they chose to go with a turn-based system where you give all your characters orders, then they all carry them out. This leads to a couple of issues:

1) You're sitting around for a goodly while waiting for the entire turn to finish before you can interact with the game again, which can get a bit dull, frankly.

2) You can't change targets mid-turn. This can cause problems if the target you assigned to a character dies before that character gets to act, because the character won't choose to do *nothing*, they'll pick a random target instead--and somehow that *always* seemed to be the tough guy you'd put to sleep to take them out of the fight. It was like playing WoW with companions who *always* attack the sheeped enemy no matter how many times you tell them not to!

I'm sure there was a good game hiding in there somewhere, and I got a goodly way through, but the awful combat system just eventually forced me to give up on the thing.

Hold down ctrl during combat to skip monster animations.

Winter_Wolf
2013-09-11, 10:36 PM
Hold down ctrl during combat to skip monster animations.

Wait, what? We can do that? Or is that a specific to GOG.com version thing? Why didn't I know about this until now?

I played to completion two or three times, and started oh so many games of Wiz8. The ones I completed were all vanilla, but it was fun to mess around with the Cosmic Forge editor and some of the mods.

My first game was ridiculously easy, and I ended up just grinding to see if I could get all the spells for my mage and priest (because I didn't have the patience for holding lots of spell picks and running around looking for spell tomes) Completely destroyed everything with a Samurai, Valkyrie, Ranger, Gadgeteer, Priest, and Mage.

My second game was stupidly easy, because I had a bard, gadgeteer, and two bishops along with a couple of meat shields. I think I finished it by level 18 for the highest level characters. Bard + Gadgeteer is pretty much a "win" button combo, especially with a team of six.

I'll just add that I really enjoyed Wizardry 6, but Wiz7 was so painful I never got very far with it. Wiz8 more than made up for it, though.

ArlEammon
2013-09-11, 11:02 PM
Wait, what? We can do that? Or is that a specific to GOG.com version thing? Why didn't I know about this until now?

I played to completion two or three times, and started oh so many games of Wiz8. The ones I completed were all vanilla, but it was fun to mess around with the Cosmic Forge editor and some of the mods.

My first game was ridiculously easy, and I ended up just grinding to see if I could get all the spells for my mage and priest (because I didn't have the patience for holding lots of spell picks and running around looking for spell tomes) Completely destroyed everything with a Samurai, Valkyrie, Ranger, Gadgeteer, Priest, and Mage.

My second game was stupidly easy, because I had a bard, gadgeteer, and two bishops along with a couple of meat shields. I think I finished it by level 18 for the highest level characters. Bard + Gadgeteer is pretty much a "win" button combo, especially with a team of six.

I'll just add that I really enjoyed Wizardry 6, but Wiz7 was so painful I never got very far with it. Wiz8 more than made up for it, though.

I apologize, I was wrong BUT, look at this baby.
http://wolfie.wiz8.de/Wiz8Fast.html

You can make the monsters not just faster, but actually FAST with this mod. I have just installed it myself and will try it out in a sec.

Winter_Wolf
2013-09-11, 11:37 PM
I apologize, I was wrong BUT, look at this baby.
http://wolfie.wiz8.de/Wiz8Fast.html

You can make the monsters not just faster, but actually FAST with this mod. I have just installed it myself and will try it out in a sec.

Oh yeah I used to love that mod, but sadly it doesn't do squat for the animations when they get hit. You kind of grind your teeth a little when they're under the effects of a slow spell and they get hit with a samurai 6x lightning strike and none of the hits penetrate the armor or cause damage. There was one monster that was relatively common and had a really obnoxiously long "got hit" animation, and it traveled in groups. Still, better to have that mod you linked than not!

Maelstrom
2013-09-12, 05:16 AM
I played the game years ago. Never finished it, because I think they dropped the ball massively when they chose to go with a turn-based system where you give all your characters orders, then they all carry them out. <snip>.

That's a holdover from the first version of the game from way back when I was being yelled at to get off the lawn....now I'm the guy yelling (well, not really, but it's been awhile ;) )