PDA

View Full Version : PF - Priest (Cleric) Feats

Letric
2013-09-11, 05:25 PM
I'm running a Priest from PF, third class party.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/priest

Stats are:

STR 7
DEX 12 + 2 Item
CON 16 +2 Item
INT 14
WIS 16 + 2 Bonus + Item + 1 Leveling
CHA 12

1 - Scribe Scroll
H - Empty
3 - Craft Wondrous Items
5 - Craft Armors
7 - Empty

Skills Maxed

Diplomacy - Perception - Sense Motive - Spellcraft - Arcana - Dungeoneering - Religion - Nature - The Planes

I really like the idea of being able to craft myself items. So far I've prepared some scrolls, maybe you guys can give me input on that as well.

Obs Mist - Remove Fear/Sickness/Blindness/Paralysis - Endure Elements, Communal - Soothing Word - Blood Biography - Invisibility Purge - Neutralize Poison - Sending

My major problem is choosing a feat. I feel like I don't any feat to work properly.
I could get Combat Casting, but being able to move 50'ft per turn allows me good positioning.

What feats could I get? And what other scrolls should I prepare?

Psyren
2013-09-11, 05:43 PM
You've posted three threads about this character now. Any reason you can't put all these questions in one place?

Anyway, the main choice for casters is metamagic - Extend, Quicken, Dazing, Bouncing etc. You should also look into Spell Focus if you plan on using a lot of Save-or-lose, and finally Channeling feats. Even with PF's increased feats there are still too many good ones to take them all.

Letric
2013-09-12, 12:39 PM
I'm building the character and questions come up while I have new ideas.

I'm sorry if I caused troubles, didn't mean to.

For example Feats.

I don't feel the need to new feats, maybe Craft Wands, but is that even useful? I mean, I could be creating tons of level 1 wands, which will improve my power, but not sure if it's useful.

Maybe staves, seems awesome to have a staves of some spell I want to always have or be able to throw around 10 rounds in a row!

Vortenger
2013-09-12, 12:51 PM
If you're doing 3rd party anyways, Cosmic Consciousness makes initiative based off wisdom rather than dex, which'll prove to be stronger than improved initiative, long term. Based on your spells and your ability to make items, you can set the tone of the battle by going first. I'd grab that as your human feat. sooner is better with control.

As always Psyren's wisdoms are gold, and metamagic would be the next go to line of feats to look at. I have yet to make a divine caster that didn't take extend spell eventually, PC or NPC.

Letric
2013-09-12, 01:00 PM
If you're doing 3rd party anyways, Cosmic Consciousness makes initiative based off wisdom rather than dex, which'll prove to be stronger than improved initiative, long term. Based on your spells and your ability to make items, you can set the tone of the battle by going first. I'd grab that as your human feat. sooner is better with control.

As always Psyren's wisdoms are gold, and metamagic would be the next go to line of feats to look at. I have yet to make a divine caster that didn't take extend spell eventually, PC or NPC.

I've to check with DM about that. I only went Priest for 3rd party. It's our first time playing PF, not sure if 3rd party is balanced or not.
I can always ask.

I wasn't able to find any of those feats on PF SRD Site though.

Psyren
2013-09-12, 02:14 PM
The thing about crafting feats is that they aren't necessarily useful - if your party can hire a crafting NPC to live in your base with you or simply visit one whenever you're in town during downtime, you can cooperate with him (supplying the spells and money) to make any items you need. This would free up your feats for other purposes.

It's good to take a couple of crafting feats of your own - CWI is always a good option, as well as Scribe Scroll and maybe Craft Wand - but for the rest you can save valuable feats by relying on an NPC. Or you can spread the crafting feats among the party, i.e. the Summoner can take a couple too. Since you can cooperate, there's no reason for you to load down your build with all of them.

Finally, feel free to skip Brew Potion - potions are weak, and typically cheap enough, that you don't get much benefit out of making your own as opposed to simply buying them.

Letric
2013-09-12, 02:28 PM
The thing about crafting feats is that they aren't necessarily useful - if your party can hire a crafting NPC to live in your base with you or simply visit one whenever you're in town during downtime, you can cooperate with him (supplying the spells and money) to make any items you need. This would free up your feats for other purposes.

It's good to take a couple of crafting feats of your own - CWI is always a good option, as well as Scribe Scroll and maybe Craft Wand - but for the rest you can save valuable feats by relying on an NPC. Or you can spread the crafting feats among the party, i.e. the Summoner can take a couple too. Since you can cooperate, there's no reason for you to load down your build with all of them.

Finally, feel free to skip Brew Potion - potions are weak, and typically cheap enough, that you don't get much benefit out of making your own as opposed to simply buying them.

I was going to take either Craft Wands or Craft Staves.

Our campaign is up to level 20, so I'll need some good things. I was also thinking about taking Extend Spell for the future.

The idea of Crafting Staves, even though is expensive is very appealing to me. To be honest, I'm absolutely lost with feats. I have no PrC in mind and all I need are my spells. Maybe I can pick up some Spell Penetration for some monsters with SR, but after than I'm not blasting people and mostly buffing.

There are probably some feats to avoid Dispel Magic, but you can never go around AMF.
I'll be taking Quicken Spell as well eventually.

Vortenger
2013-09-12, 03:25 PM
Feat was called supernatural consciousness. Well, I was close...
Link: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/feats-radiance-house/supernatural-consciousness

Letric
2013-09-12, 03:28 PM
Getting link, one moment

Ah, it's a Psionic power, I see.

Still haven't made up my mind, but maybe I'll go with Craft Wands or Extend Spell and Quicken Spell, just to have them in case I need them in the future.

Once I get Magic Vestment I could sell my armor and buy a cheap one and perma Magic Vestment easily.

I really wanted to have a Staff, but mostly because they look cool. I can see myself carrying a Staff of Power and destroying people :smallsmile:

Vortenger
2013-09-12, 03:29 PM
grabbed the wrong link. Lots of ways to vary your consciousness, it seems.

Letric
2013-09-12, 03:32 PM
grabbed the wrong link. Lots of ways to vary your consciousness, it seems.

Found it thanks. Don't think my DM will allow it. Usually I'm mostly reacting to team fights, according to group's need.

But casting Blessing of Fervor as soon as possible is good as well.

I'll check.

Psyren
2013-09-12, 03:40 PM
Craft Staff is a fine choice. Those are typically expensive, so crafting them yourself is indeed worthwhile.

There is no need to PrC - in PF, this is actually discouraged, because you will miss out on class powers by doing so. In your case, Channel Energy and Domain powers depend on your level in Priest, so just do Priest 20. Most PF PrCs lose caster levels as well.

You have several ways around AMF - instantaneous (calling) effects like Planar Ally/Gate will work, as will instantaneous (creations) like Wall of Stone. Or just stay out of range and let the melee handle it.

Letric
2013-09-12, 03:46 PM
Craft Staff is a fine choice. Those are typically expensive, so crafting them yourself is indeed worthwhile.

There is no need to PrC - in PF, this is actually discouraged, because you will miss out on class powers by doing so. In your case, Channel Energy and Domain powers depend on your level in Priest, so just do Priest 20. Most PF PrCs lose caster levels as well.

You have several ways around AMF - instantaneous (calling) effects like Planar Ally/Gate will work, as will instantaneous (creations) like Wall of Stone. Or just stay out of range and let the melee handle it.

Then Craft Staff will be at level 11. I think my best choices right now are Extend and Quicken.

I can't see any other Feat which will benefit me more inside the standard ones, since I don't want to take more 3rd party things that Priest.
We already have a Summoner in our party :smallredface: