PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic Rod Prices?

Seclora
2013-09-11, 07:07 PM
Does anyone know the formula for calculating the price of a metamagic rod? I'm specifically looking to find the price for a Greater Metamagic Rod of Persist, but I wouldn't mind having the formula proper in case I ever need to calculate the price for a different metamagic.

holywhippet
2013-09-11, 07:17 PM
Well, the other rods are here: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Metamagic_Rod

But persist isn't listed because it doesn't under the rules. There seems to be no specific formula they have used to calculate the costs and if I was running a D&D game I'd be really reluctant to allow such a crazy powerful item to exist.

Alaris
2013-09-11, 07:33 PM
Well, the other rods are here: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Metamagic_Rod

But persist isn't listed because it doesn't under the rules. There seems to be no specific formula they have used to calculate the costs and if I was running a D&D game I'd be really reluctant to allow such a crazy powerful item to exist.

I certainly agree there. Persist in the form of a Rod would be just absolutely cheesy/overpowered.

That said, there is no solid formula, as there are multiple Rods with the same spell-level adjustment, that cost different prices (Rod of Extend & Rod of Sculpting).

So, I wish you the best of luck... if you can find a Rod of Metamagic (+6 Modifier), then you can use that as a base, and consult your DM.

Seclora
2013-09-13, 05:42 PM
I certainly agree there. Persist in the form of a Rod would be just absolutely cheesy/overpowered.

That said, there is no solid formula, as there are multiple Rods with the same spell-level adjustment, that cost different prices (Rod of Extend & Rod of Sculpting).

So, I wish you the best of luck... if you can find a Rod of Metamagic (+6 Modifier), then you can use that as a base, and consult your DM.

I agree, it is entirely broken. However, my DM is a combination of bad at balancing and fond of throwing five or six encounters at us a day with about ten minutes between fights, and I'd like to not burn all my slots preparing Mass Death Ward and Mass Bear's Endurance. I'd go DMM and Persist, but I don't have the feats available to do it.

Secondly, the main problem for calculating the cost, what with the lack of an established formula, is that there are no other +6 Spell level Metamagic feats in existence. At least, none I can find.

LordHenry
2013-09-13, 05:46 PM
Well, since a Metamagic Rod, quicken is priced at 170.000gp I would say that it's at least 300.000gp, although as a DM IF I'd let such an item exist, I would price it way higher

ArcturusV
2013-09-13, 05:47 PM
Well... I seem to recall that somewhere there was a listing for basically how much it was worth to put a Feat into a magic item. And that might start giving you a basis that you might be able to use to talk/con your DM into giving you.

So take the cost in feats, Extend Spell, Persist Spell, and Divine Metamagic: Persist Spell, add in the cost of a few Nightsticks, say... 4. Roll that all together and you might have a baseline price that you can talk a DM into thinking is reasonable, particularly if you explain how you got to that number.

Even as expensive as that might be? It's still probably an insanely good deal if you can swing it.

Jeff the Green
2013-09-13, 06:15 PM
I made a quick chart extrapolating from the SRD rods (5 and 6 are theoretical):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/oimg?key=0AiCd3kHd21VzdGc2SldIUnZpSGFpTHJqRl9UNU1l bWc&oid=2&zx=3rw2xknelpk

As you can see, the normal and greater rods are easy to figure out because they have a linear relationship. Lesser rods don't, so I assumed the highest growth rate when going from 4 to 6. This would put a lesser rod of persist at 77,000, normal at 118,500, and greater at 267,000, which are definitely a steal.

The Mentalist
2013-09-13, 08:40 PM
As a DM I would personally allow a Lesser Rod of Persist but I wouldn't let it go any further than that, maybe not even that... Aren't Blink and Displacement personal spells? (Upon review, the former is the later is not) 50% miss chance all day is a probably a good reason not to have a Persist Rod on hand.

So yeah, this basically comes down to an ask your DM thing and if you are the DM set a price that you feel puts it within the reach of your characters when you want them to have it.

Seclora
2013-09-14, 12:36 AM
I made a quick chart extrapolating from the SRD rods (5 and 6 are theoretical):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/oimg?key=0AiCd3kHd21VzdGc2SldIUnZpSGFpTHJqRl9UNU1l bWc&oid=2&zx=3rw2xknelpk

As you can see, the normal and greater rods are easy to figure out because they have a linear relationship. Lesser rods don't, so I assumed the highest growth rate when going from 4 to 6. This would put a lesser rod of persist at 77,000, normal at 118,500, and greater at 267,000, which are definitely a steal.

Holy crap, you made a graph!

Also, thank you, I'm saving that one for future reference. The greater's probably out of reach, but as powerful as it is, I don't think anything more than the normal should be necessary, let alone fiscally feasible.
Personally, I think I'd round the prices up to the nearest ten-thousand. 120,000 might be a lot for an item, but we've been told to expect the campaign to make it to epic levels, and I doubt it'll be the most expensive item we ever get.

Thanks for everyone's input, would've taken me weeks to work it out on my own.

Jeff the Green
2013-09-14, 01:27 AM
Holy crap, you made a graph!

Also, thank you, I'm saving that one for future reference. The greater's probably out of reach, but as powerful as it is, I don't think anything more than the normal should be necessary, let alone fiscally feasible.
Personally, I think I'd round the prices up to the nearest ten-thousand. 120,000 might be a lot for an item, but we've been told to expect the campaign to make it to epic levels, and I doubt it'll be the most expensive item we ever get.

Thanks for everyone's input, would've taken me weeks to work it out on my own.

From a strictly numerical standpoint, a greater metamagic wand of persist is within WBL, if exceedingly expensive, even pre-epic. At 19 (WBL 580,000) it makes up less than half, which is the cut off many DMs use for a single item. At 20 it makes up a little less than a third of WBL.

I would generally leave it out of my purchases at least until someone gets Epic Spellcasting, though, just for the DM's sanity and to reduce their urge to disjoin me. Three free persisted 6th-level spells is plenty.

Seclora
2013-09-14, 01:53 AM
From a strictly numerical standpoint, a greater metamagic wand of persist is within WBL, if exceedingly expensive, even pre-epic. At 19 (WBL 580,000) it makes up less than half, which is the cut off many DMs use for a single item. At 20 it makes up a little less than a third of WBL.

I would generally leave it out of my purchases at least until someone gets Epic Spellcasting, though, just for the DM's sanity and to reduce their urge to disjoin me. Three free persisted 6th-level spells is plenty.

I really just want to persist a few primary party buffs, and since my character is only level 15 currently, albeit wealth neutered, it's fairly well out of reach at the moment.