PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Adapting Gifted Blade for Monk use?

Larkas
2013-09-11, 09:48 PM
So, I've been staring at the Gifted Blade Soulknife archetype (all thanks to Psyren's newest handbook, as you might've deduced :smalltongue: ), and I can't help but notice that it would be great if it could be somehow applied to the Monk, without even so much as changing the powers*. In other words, making some kind of "Gifted" Monk.

The problem is: you can't take much from the Monk without crippling it (more, anyways). So I've been toying with the idea of taking away the unarmed damage progression (you get the increased starting dice, but it doesn't progress, i.e.: a medium Gifted Monk will always have a 1d6 damage dice), giving in its place the Wild Talent feat for free, along with the same goodies the Gifted Blade gives.

How do you like this idea? Should I be worried about some weird interaction or something?

* Eh, if you change the Monk's speed bonus to insight, so it stacks with the Burst power, at least. That is a house rule I usually adopt, so no problems there.

Greenish
2013-09-11, 09:56 PM
Doesn't sound too bad, though it is very similar to going Deadly Fist Gifted Blade.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-11, 10:17 PM
If you just stop the UA progression I am sure you would be able to mix other Archetypes, which would be fine I guess, but it may or not may fly in other tables.

Larkas
2013-09-11, 10:17 PM
Doesn't sound too bad, though it is very similar to going Deadly Fist Gifted Blade.

Heck, you're quite right! Poor, poor monk, even with an upgrade you're still outclassed by another face-kicking class... :smallsigh: Back to the drawing board, I guess...

PS: To be fair, it could be stacked with pretty much any other Monk archetype. Gifted Qinggong Hungry Ghost Monk, perhaps? Hmmm... Maybe I should think of a way to merge the ki pool with the power point pool... Ack, wish I were a better homebrewer to tackle stuff like this.

EDIT: Swordsaged a bit by Dusk Eclipse. :smallredface:

StreamOfTheSky
2013-09-11, 11:22 PM
Just give monk the powers progression without any loss at all.

It's the worst class in the entire game, you're not going to break anything.

IronFist
2013-09-12, 04:11 AM
But why bother doing this, when you can get pretty much the same from a Deadly Fist Gifted Blade?

Psyren
2013-09-12, 08:23 AM
I agree that Deadly Fist Gifted Blade is probably the best way to do this. However, you miss out on Wis to AC that way (unless you use Focused Defense, which actually makes Combat Expertise suck less), and Monk's Belt doesn't exist in PF.

If you want a way to do this without homebrew, Monk/GBDF Soulknife/Psychic Fist can progress your psionics, mind blade, unarmed progression, speed, flurry and AC bonus 8/10. You can qualify at Monk 2/SK 3. Combine with Focused Offense and you'll be Wis-SAD. Add in a Monk's Robe and you'll have Wis + Dex + 4 AC before bracers of armor/ring of deflection etc. You'll still get 4th-level powers and you won't need to pick up Focused Defense, though since it stacks with the monk AC bonus (it's a dodge bonus) you certainly can still grab it. This build will get you Wis to AC twice, + 4, + Dex to AC.

Katana1515
2013-09-12, 08:32 AM
Just give monk the powers progression without any loss at all.

It's the worst class in the entire game, you're not going to break anything.

Was just about to say exactly the same thing! As long as you are playing with friends, who are OK with trying that sort of fix out of course! While you are at it just go and give the class full BAB at the same time. we do this (and a few other houserules) for the monk as a matter of course. It would take a lot more than gifted blade to break the monk, though it might go a ways towards beefing it up a bit.