PDA

View Full Version : Why was my password changed( and why wasn't i notified)?

vendur
2013-09-11, 10:58 PM
There was no error in typing my user name name or password. None.

Magically my old passsword did not work. Nothing was in my email inbox, but i probably said no thanks to emails when I made the account, so not sure there would or wouldn't be an email. I have now changed the password myself, as i couldn't log in otherwise.

Rawhide
2013-09-11, 11:06 PM
There was no error in typing my user name name or password. None.

Magically my old passsword did not work. Nothing was in my email inbox, but i probably said no thanks to emails when I made the account, so not sure there would or wouldn't be an email. I have now changed the password myself, as i couldn't log in otherwise.

No passwords have been changed by us. If your password has been changed, then you should examine the security of your computer.

vendur
2013-09-11, 11:12 PM
No passwords have been changed by us. If your password has been changed, then you should examine the security of your computer.

Let's assume that a nefarious hacker had commandeered my account somehow assuming i did not have enabled any "email notifications" options enabled, would I have had anything in my email if the password had been changed?

Rawhide
2013-09-11, 11:23 PM
Let's assume that a nefarious hacker had commandeered my account somehow assuming i did not have enabled any "email notifications" options enabled, would I have had anything in my email if the password had been changed?

No. There is no notification on a password change.

vendur
2013-09-11, 11:34 PM
Wow, so even if I had every email option enabled there would have still been no email confirmation of a password change? Is there a "suggestiong" forum", cause that's one hella bad idea from where i'm sitting.

Rawhide
2013-09-11, 11:50 PM
It's standard practice for just about every site, only a select few notify of any such changes. This is not one of them and has no need to be. In fact, the only such site I can recall which does this and I have used at this point in time is PayPal. Security is not just about preventing all kinds of potential violations, it's about trading off the need for security with usability and performance.

vendur
2013-09-12, 12:04 AM
It's standard practice for just about every site, only a select few notify of any such changes. This is not one of them and has no need to be. In fact, the only such site I can recall which does this and I have used at this point in time is PayPal. Security is not just about preventing all kinds of potential violations, it's about trading off the need for security with usability and performance.

You can't be serious? I've been on the internet for over 20 years, easy, and I would be hard pressed to recal a single site where there was no email notification if someone changed your password, in fact 95% would require a confirmation to change it only via the email suplied with registration.

Rawhide
2013-09-12, 12:13 AM
I am serious. It is not a very common thing at all to be notified of a password change made when the original password is known and used.

Resetting your password without knowing the original requires confirmation via your registered email address. Do not get these two mixed up.

Mando Knight
2013-09-12, 12:53 AM
If your password here was changed by a 3rd party, I'd think the least of your worries would be not getting notification of it.

ShadowFireLance
2013-09-12, 12:56 AM
If your password here was changed by a 3rd party, I'd think the least of your worries would be not getting notification of it.

Yeah, If they changed it here, an (Small) awesome forum, then what's preventing them from changing it on say, facebook, or, Ebay, Etc.

Tavar
2013-09-12, 01:29 AM
Yeah, If they changed it here, an (Small) awesome forum, then what's preventing them from changing it on say, facebook, or, Ebay, Etc.

Which is why using different passwords is recommended(though not always followed).

Also, don't be too fast to blame the forum: it's relatively easy for a small error to get in a password, especially if it's been some time since you've been to the site or something. It's happened to me.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-09-12, 10:37 AM
You can't be serious? I've been on the internet for over 20 years, easy, and I would be hard pressed to recal a single site where there was no email notification if someone changed your password, in fact 95% would require a confirmation to change it only via the email suplied with registration.

Rawhide is entirely correct with this post:

I am serious. It is not a very common thing at all to be notified of a password change made when the original password is known and used.

Resetting your password without knowing the original requires confirmation via your registered email address. Do not get these two mixed up.

A site will typically alert you if the password is requested while you are not logged in, as there is no way to properly verify who the person sending the request is. Once you're logged in though you can typically change a password by entering the new password twice (to verify the spelling) and your current password once (to confirm it's you).

There is no confirmation sent in most cases, because it assumed that, by being logged in and entering the correct password, it is you. I know I can change my password this way on my BANK'S website, and it will send me no extra verification. Just like I could, say, transfer all my money to a different account from the same page. Once a system has recognized you as a user, putting extra steps in the way of standard functionality is poor user experience design.

NerdyKris
2013-09-12, 10:53 AM
This account is brand new. OP, have you considered the possibility that you simply forgot what password you used when you created the account?

AttilaTheGeek
2013-09-12, 06:15 PM
Or perhaps you forgot you had caps or num lock on or off when you typed it the first time? That's happened to me a couple times.

Roland St. Jude
2013-09-12, 07:00 PM
This account is brand new. OP, have you considered the possibility that you simply forgot what password you used when you created the account?

Or perhaps you forgot you had caps or num lock on or off when you typed it the first time? That's happened to me a couple times.Typographical or spelling error? That's unpossible!

If Rawhide has more to say or wants to gather more info he can reopen this. But I think it's been adequate addressed.