PDA

View Full Version : favorite player vs player moment

blelliot
2013-09-12, 12:14 AM
I'm playing on a FR game as a druid of mieliekki. The group also consists of a cleric of mystra, a mage/cleric of mystra, a paladin of corellon larethian, a morninglord of lathander, and a barbarian of tempus. This is by far my favorite game because of an interparty conflict between my charachter and the cleric/mage. They flat out hate one another. My charachter is from the sticks, his is from a wealthy family in waterdeep. The two charachter's have such a different outlook on life and the cleric/mage is a giant d**k to everybody who doesn't cast magic, and is not rich. The conflicgt has made the game interesting and fun. So I was wanting to hear anyone else's stories about fun interparty conflict.

John Longarrow
2013-09-12, 12:22 AM
DMing, I had great fun introducing a new character. Our group all knew each other and what I came up with turned out to be a blast of a train wreck. New character meets the existing party (A lord and his retainer, MaSake). She walks up to him, hands him a scroll, and says "I'm not doing this!" as she walks out. Scroll is a marriage contract between her clan and the lords.

This led to the retainer misunderstanding the lords instructions and trying to kill the new character. All totally in character, all totally fun. Once she proved she wasn't going to just die, they started traveling together to get it all straightened out.

Azoth
2013-09-12, 12:38 AM
I loved one in a monk campaign that ended up splitting the party pretty deeply on a philosophical level. An entire party of Lawful Goodie Two Shoes...Then my character who by the end of the first IG day was LN.

This character viewed the world pragmatically, and would act accordingly. We need information this gobo has and he doesn't want to talk? Where is that dagger of mine?

He would not hurt innocents or allow harm to come to prisoners, he would heal anyone he interrogated and make sure they were compensated for the harm, he never enjoyed it or did it needlessly so the DM let me stay Lawful and not hit the Evil end of the spectrum.

So after a few IG weeks we save some kids in the woods, end up making a deal with a Verdant Prince (against my pleas not to...even while being contrcontrolled by another fey), and generally been at the mercy of forest fey/beasts for days. Then we get attacked by a raiding party of Gobos coming after a few stray half men/half deer creatures.

We proceed to trounce them and take them prisoner. My guy wants to know where the rest of the forces are and why they were attacking fey. They didn't want to talk, so I got ready totorture one of them. Before I began, I told the children to go play in the woods and not to return no matter they heard until one of us went to get them.

Another party member stops them, and makes them watch me torture the goblin. Before I can tend his wounds, the party member starts telling the kids to learn from me how not to act. That I am a villain in the making, an evil and tainted soul, and too despicable to be allowed to be a monk.

My character calmly puts away his knife after cleaning it, then stands and delivers a truly chilling speech about how he may be seen as evil for doing what needs be done, but the rest are even more evil for allowing it to happen without protest or contention, and that the one who called him out is the evilest of them all for demanding the children loose their innocence by watching his dirty work and destroying their trust in the group by showing them what adults are capable of when I wanted to spare them.

Most of the group slunk off in shame to lick their emotional wounds, one person started trying to morally save me from then on, but the one who called me out...we stayed enemies from that moment on. Never outright attacking one another, but not sharing supplies with one another or helping the other one out of tight situations. It was great dynamic tension.

Zazax
2013-09-12, 04:09 AM
This wasn't strictly D&D, but it was a really homebrewed system based off of it and D20 Modern (weird system, but fun), so I guess it still counts.

It was a small campaign, just two players and the DM. My character was, to simplify, a Neutral Good Idiot Hero focused on melee combat, primarily using a sword, occasionally wielding a knife in my offhand, although I was no slouch in hand-to-hand either.
The other character was a ranged fighter (he'd somehow built himself around dual-wielding SMGs. Don't ask me how, I have no idea, but he made it work. Homebrew helped) with two personalities. One personality, the main one, was firmly Lawful Neutral and generally very helpful. The other was extremely Chaotic Evil, and my character and this other personality had had several clashes throughout the campaign already by this point, with varying degrees of success by both sides (highlights including me breaking both his knees, and him shooting me six times in the chest. We were damn near impossible to kill, by the way). Despite this, we still worked together fine when his LN side was in control, which was 99% of the time.
But those are not the particular occasions that were most awesome.

Early in the game the DM, for reasons beyond my comprehension, decided to have an NPC develop a crush on my character. Not being one to turn down potential plot hooks (not to mention IC emotional turmoil :smalltongue:), I went along with it, and soon she was up to full-blown love interest and the most important person in the world to my character.
Then, one session, the DM had a quick, 15-minute or so private session with the other player, and upon returning events unfolded that lead to my character finding his love interest bleeding out, only to die shortly thereafter in his arms. End session.
Needless to say, he was not happy.
The very next session my character immediately sets out to find a way to resurrect her (in a world where this is supposed to be completely impossible, like the real world). He finds a way that has at least a snowball's chance in hell of working, but if it screws up, which is more likely, could instead kick off the apocalypse (long story). The other player then tries to stop me peacefully, not wanting to risk ending the world for one person. However, at a suitably dramatic moment, it is revealed that (surprise, surprise), the other player went CE for a moment and shot her a half dozen times or so, ostensibly for revenge for a prior slight, but it was just as likely just For the Evulz. It was even the player's idea, apparently.

Cue my character completely losing it, and a fight breaks out (moral note: the other player shot first). The fight starts with him having both SMGs drawn (in an attempt to intimidate me into stopping) and standing some distance away (and having won initiative), and me with my back turned and weapons sheathed. Three rounds later, he's at -9 HP, pinned to the ground with a sword through his chest, has a dagger stuck between two ribs, and my character is kneeling on top of him just beating him to within an inch of his life with his bare hands. I hadn't taken a single point of damage the entire fight, however short it may have been. It was far and away the most one-sided of our scuffles (amusingly, he survived, somehow (remember, damn near impossible to kill) and we've not fought since).

Normally that'd just be a nice fight, but the ultimate result is what made it even better. Note to DMs: never tell a player "Yeah right. Tell you what. If you can roll a nat 20, it will work", because they will immediately proceed to do so, and it won't matter how surprised you are or how much you need to rethink the plot from there on.

The campaign is ongoing, and my character and this love interest are now married. Mr Chaotic Evil has yet to resurface after his epic beatdown. Presumably he's embarrassed.

Crake
2013-09-12, 05:30 AM
One of my players secretly started a cult to his succubus girlfriend. The rest of the party was suspicious of a new "church" (dedicated to "giving in to your inhibitions") and decided to do some reconnaissance. Since the guy who started the cult was the most charismatic of the party, they wanted him to go in claiming to have gotten a vision from the "god" (his girlfriend) of the church, and that he needed to see the head of the church (his cohort). The look he shot me when the party presented their idea to him was priceless, and the laughs we had afterwards about how he was interrogating his oh so confused cohort about the ins and outs of the church was amazing. Eventually the party found out that his, now wife, was a succubus (and that she had transformed him into one too), and they all had a good laugh about it.

Sian
2013-09-12, 05:34 AM
Once had a cool feud between my LN (leaning towards LG but not quite there) Monk and a LG Paladin ... my Monk was of the opinion that as long as laws was followed and nothing untowards happened, slavery were perfectly fine, as his country's view on slavery was largely lifted from a romantic view of the Roman Republic. To the degree that it wasn't too uncommon for poor people to sell themselves into slavery, with the hopes of getting decent food, roof above the head and prehaps a reasonable education if they showed talent in one direction or another. My Monk was a slave to a wife of a recently murdered leading character (originally his) in his homelands and had the job of being his lady's eyes and ears on some suspicius happenings, which maybe had connections to the assassination (think Private Eye).

The Paladin on the other hand was very rigidly against it, claiming that there would never be a reason to have slavery, and that everyone should be free to do what they wanted to, and that it was better (or at least not as bad) to be poor than unfree, partially due to his background as a slave to pirates.