PDA

View Full Version : Any Advice on this build?

Yogibear41
2013-09-12, 01:20 AM
So got the idea for a dwarven alchemist (homebrew version) http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245132 who later goes into clay half golem http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9157221&postcount=1345

I plan to start the character off with his right arm missing (lost it in a mining accident) as a flaw. The character build is going to focus more on being defensive and tanky than anything and let the golem do the work for the beginning levels. Long term goals could potentially be to reform/create a dwarven kingdom as in this particular campaign world dwarves are a scattered race only living in small communities and have no actual kingdoms of their own.

For the actual build it would go something like this:

not sure what stats would be because I haven't rolled them but I can pretty much guarantee at least an 18(20 after racial) in con and int based on how we roll, after that I will probably go for a 12 cha(after racial) 10-12 wis 12-14 dex and 14-16 str score. I will probably boost con every 4 levels.

Going Deep Dwarf for race for extra +1 on saves and longer darkvision
as well as hardy and detached traits for +1 fort, +1 will, and -2 reflex

Feats:

1. Endurance, Flaw 1: steadfast determination
3. Great Fort
6. Iron Will
9. Leadership
12. ?

Build:

Alchemist for first 8 levels chosing the constructor path and using a clay golem for increased DR and hitpoints

Powers in order of level 1. quick fix 2. Skin of the construct 3. Fist of the construct 4. Earthen Grasp 5. Alchemical Detonation 6. Frozen Armor 7. caustic mire 8. earthen shackles

For my permanent spell gained at 8th level I plan to choose shield as there don't seem to be that many 1st or 2nd level personal range spells, the only other one that I could see being useful is levitate.

For my one 1st level wizard spell usable once per day gained at 4th level, I have no idea what to pick. Endure elements for simple utility maybe?

After my first 8 levels of Alchemist I plan to move over to the 3 level half-golem class choosing clay as my material or preference(hopefully all this time spent augmenting my own clay golem would help my insight into producing this replacment for my own missing arm) will choose fort as my good save(although choosing will is also something I would consider) since I will no be immune to acid damage I can use my alchemist abilities that deal acid to heal myself if needed.

So far this is what I have come up with, considering taking a dip of fighter after this before heading back into alchemist. Picking up martial weapon proficiency in the process and maybe improved toughness for my fighter bonus feat just to continue the tanky trend. Martial weapon proficiency would be for wielding a magical warhammer that adds your con bonus to damage rolls(earth hammer from magic of rokugan or something like that), but honestly isn't really needed that much since my BAB is rather poor, im probably better of using alchemist powers.

I know this is a rather mediocre build when looked at from a straight optimization standpoint, but I like the character concept idea and would like to squeeze out a little more power from it if able. The creating a kingdom idea probably won't get started until around level 10 or so. I imagine alot of it to be created using stone shape and like spells to forge a city into the side of a mountain.

Thanks for the help any ideas are appreciated :smallsmile:

EDIT: I have also considered taking a 2 level dip into deepwarden for con to ac in place of dex, as it fits the theme to a degree.