PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Barbarian goblin

Negher
2013-09-12, 07:52 AM
Hello, I've the possibility to create a PC for a short time adventure (I think not more than some months of playing) and I'd like to try the extreme way of the Goblin barbarian.
There are two main reasons that bring me into this insane direction:

-The possibility, with the titan mauler archetype, to avoid the problem of small PC-->little weapon-->little damage (the idea of a goblin with a greatsword of standard size is funny)

-the goblin feat, Roll with it, that allow you to rolling away instead of taking damage

He will have a better AC than a normal barbarian (small size and +4 dex bonus), the +1 for the small size balance the -1 to hit for -2 Str racial malus and Goblins have darkvision and a base speed of 30 ft!!!
The damage is 1 point lower but the benefits of the small size are higher than the drawbacks.
My first doubt is the choose of the way of fighting
1) Greatsword or other 2H weapon--> the funniest way but I have a Str penality and less advantage by my high Dex
2) Two weapons fighting--> I've to spend 2 feats (2 weap fight and weapn finesse) but I'll take max advantage for the high dex.
3) Sword and shield--> not funny but with WF I can use a shortsword and have higher AC.

I think that I'll go for the 2H Weap (horsechopper!!!) But I'd like some idea for feats and rage powers.
Thanks

Psyren
2013-09-12, 09:03 AM
If you want a Dex-based Barbarian, consider Urban Barbarian; their rage lets them boost their Dex. You can then use Dex-based effects like Pirahna Strike and the agile weapon property. You can fluff this as a frenzy that has your goblin clambering/scuttling around the target and shanking them repeatedly.

Icarusthefallen
2013-09-12, 09:16 AM
In my honest opinion, I like the idea, and I would simply use my stat rolls/arrays to make up for a moderate deficit to the STR due to race. That being said, when you rage and your STR goes back up, you are in a good zone to still do moderate to good damage if you are still wanting to do a large focus on that. Rage powers would have to be more tailored to how you want to play him. Pathfinder offers quite a large range of styles for barbarians now a days. Are you PHB only or are other books in also?

Hruken
2013-09-12, 04:30 PM
Titan mauler does not let you wield a larger two handed weapon, it lowers the to hit penalties without doing anything to the handedness change.

For a goblin barbarian, I would recommend taking a look at the Feral Gnasher racial archetype. Gives a nice bite + grab attack. Combine with enlarge person or some other way to grow, and it gets fun.

grarrrg
2013-09-12, 05:37 PM
Titan mauler does not let you wield a larger two handed weapon, it lowers the to hit penalties without doing anything to the handedness change.

?
I'd assume he'd use a 'medium' Greatsword 2-handed, which IS allowed, through reduction of penalties.

Nowhere did he say he wanted to 1-hand a 'medium' Greatsword. Which would not work.

My vote is for Urban Barbarian, Weapon Finesse and Agile weapon.
Whether you use 2 weapons, or weapon/shield if up to you, but you have a huge DEX bonus, you should use it.

Hruken
2013-09-12, 05:56 PM
?
I'd assume he'd use a 'medium' Greatsword 2-handed, which IS allowed, through reduction of penalties.

Nowhere did he say he wanted to 1-hand a 'medium' Greatsword. Which would not work.

Unless I've completely misread Titan Mauler's Massive Weapons, it only lowers the to-hit penalties for oversized weapons. It does nothing for the handedness change that comes with an oversized weapon (light>one handed>two handed>cannot wield). A small character is unable to wield a medium two handed weapon.

Khantin
2013-09-12, 06:46 PM
If you want a Dex-based Barbarian, consider Urban Barbarian; their rage lets them boost their Dex. You can then use Dex-based effects like Pirahna Strike and the agile weapon property. You can fluff this as a frenzy that has your goblin clambering/scuttling around the target and shanking them repeatedly.

I made a build with this before... I deleted the mythweavers sheet though. I think I went with savage urban barbarian and bit of martial artist monk. You get rage cycling, and stupid high ac with decent damage and pounce. Agile weapons, pirhana strike, you can get 60+ac around level 15 and attack a whole bunch for like 30+ish damage a hit plus some elemental.

grarrrg
2013-09-12, 06:57 PM
Unless I've completely misread Titan Mauler's Massive Weapons, it only lowers the to-hit penalties for oversized weapons. It does nothing for the handedness change that comes with an oversized weapon (light>one handed>two handed>cannot wield). A small character is unable to wield a medium two handed weapon.

You are correct, but how is that different from what I just said?

And, again, the OP still never stated he was trying to 1-hand an oversize 2-hand weapon.

Greenish
2013-09-12, 07:07 PM

And, again, the OP still never stated he was trying to 1-hand an oversize 2-hand weapon.Well, no, but he couldn't wield a medium two-handed weapon even two-handed, as per the weapon size rules:
The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder's size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. For example, a Small creature would wield a Medium one-handed weapon as a two-handed weapon. If a weapon's designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can't wield the weapon at all.(Bolding mine.)

Hruken
2013-09-12, 07:11 PM

And, again, the OP still never stated he was trying to 1-hand an oversize 2-hand weapon.

I'm not sure where you are getting the whole one handed thing from my posts. I'm not talking about that, jotungrip or not.

A medium greatsword is a two handed weapon for a medium character. A small character cannot wield a medium greatsword, as the handedness of the weapon shifts one up from being oversized.

Titan Mauler removes the to hit penalties for oversized weapons. This helps if you wanted to wield a medium sized longsword or other one handed weapon, but it would be a two handed weapon for you.

I was trying to point out that massive weapons really isn't that useful of an ability, as it does not do what it seems like it should.

grarrrg
2013-09-12, 07:17 PM
Ah.
I blame the allergy meds...

gr8artist
2013-09-12, 07:28 PM
I would consider precision damage, like Sneak Attack. One level of Rogue or Alchemist (if you can spare it) will get you an extra d6 on every attack. Or try this urban rager... not familiar with it, but it seems fun.

jguy
2013-09-12, 08:38 PM
Goblins have their own racial Barbarian (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-goblin/feral-gnasher-barbarian-goblin) archetype. I have run a level 5 one as NPC's against my players. The rage helps with the penalty to strength and they get a good damage with their bite. I recommend it, they were fun to build and run.

grarrrg
2013-09-12, 08:42 PM
I would consider precision damage, like Sneak Attack. One level of Rogue or Alchemist (if you can spare it) will get you an extra d6 on every attack. Or try this urban rager... not familiar with it, but it seems fun.

Urban Barbarian (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo---barbarian-archetypes/urban-barbarian)
It trades away Medium Armor (which with a Goblin's DEX you wouldn't want anyway). It also loses Fast Movement (which a Goblin doesn't really need anyway), and a few Class Skills.

It gains more Class Skills than it loses, gains a few minor bonuses when fighting 2 opponents, and a couple bonuses in crowds.
The big draw, is the OPTION to use a Controlled Rage instead of a normal Rage, the Controlled Rage bonuses are less, but the penalties are MUCH less as well, and you have the option to get a Rage/Morale bonus to your DEX.

Also, since Fast Movement is the only real ability you lose, it can still stack with other Archetypes (about half of them are valid).
The best choice would be Invulnerable Rager, although just Urban is good too.

Sadly, Feral Gnasher also trades Fast Movement, so it is not able to be paired with Urban.

Go Urban if you want to use manufactured weapons, Feral Gnasher if Natural Attacks are more your thing.

Negher
2013-09-13, 02:29 AM
I'm not sure where you are getting the whole one handed thing from my posts. I'm not talking about that, jotungrip or not.

A medium greatsword is a two handed weapon for a medium character. A small character cannot wield a medium greatsword, as the handedness of the weapon shifts one up from being oversized.

Titan Mauler removes the to hit penalties for oversized weapons. This helps if you wanted to wield a medium sized longsword or other one handed weapon, but it would be a two handed weapon for you.

I was trying to point out that massive weapons really isn't that useful of an ability, as it does not do what it seems like it should.

Gosh!! You're right!
And this is the end of my goblin barbarian "Gatsu style".
My DM also want to use only Italian translated hanfbooks so no advanced races and no goblin!! And this is the Tombstone of my project.
Thanks to everybody for the ideas, I'll keep in mind for future.