PDA

View Full Version : C/OWoD: VTM Need Help

Noobborn
2013-09-12, 11:14 AM
I am gonna be starting a small game of the classic version of VTM with a few of my pathfinder pals. But none of us have played it before I have managed to rustle up the 20th anniversary for VtM but I am having a harder time finding a more up to date form of the rulebook. I did fine one version from 1996 should this work for me?

Could the new world of darkness rules work?

Any advice for how to start a campaign or find published ideas?

Noobborn
2013-09-12, 04:42 PM
Also does anyone know if Pittsburgh has a Vampire Prince/Archbishop?

We are likely going to go mostly homebrew but a more official starting point would be easier

TheCountAlucard
2013-09-12, 07:00 PM
I am gonna be starting a small game of the classic version of VTM with a few of my pathfinder pals.What brought this about? Just curious.

But none of us have played it before I have managed to rustle up the 20th anniversary for VtM but I am having a harder time finding a more up to date form of the rulebook.Err, what? V20 is the most up-to-date, isn't it? :smallconfused:

Or are you referring to setting-wise?

I did fine one version from 1996 should this work for me?That's an older book.

Could the new world of darkness rules work?Definitely, though you'll note the two settings have very different assumptions.

Also does anyone know if Pittsburgh has a Vampire Prince/Archbishop?So you know, double-posting is unnecessary; you could have just edited the questions into the original post; I guarantee we'd have seen it.

Noobborn
2013-09-12, 08:02 PM
Second post was from my phone and it was being a pain in my backside.

Yes I know V20 is modern but I was not sure if I NEEDED the Old or Classic World of Darkness rulebook that came separately (The ones for humans).

As for why the sudden desire. I'll blame Spoony and his Vampire Jyhad video Yes I know he was playing NWoD and the person who brought it up had an elder brother who used to play and has told him loads of stories as a Malk pyro.

I found the new VtR I keep hearing VtM had a better story and VtR has better mechanics.

Ok so I can in fact use the Requiem if I needed to?

I ask about Pittsburgh because it is a local city and I was curious because if not it will likely be a made up Prince

horus42
2013-09-12, 08:25 PM
Requiem rules are much, much cleaner than Masquerade. That being said, if you want to play with Masquerade's setting, but Requiem's rules, I'd suggest picking up the Vampire Translation Guide. It's very cheap (if not actually free, I don't quite remember) and is well worth it.

Pilo
2013-09-13, 03:54 AM
According to this unofficial wiki (http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Sabbat_%28VTES%29), Pittsburgh is ruled by the Sabbat.

On the other hand, WoD city books are suffixed by "By Night". You can always adapt one of them. You can find all WW publication on this page (http://wiki.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkness/index.php?title=Publications_%28VTM%29)

The Glyphstone
2013-09-13, 06:03 PM
IF you're playing Old/Classic WoD with the V20 book, it's self-contained and that's all you need. If you're playing NWoD, you will need the WoD Mortals book (just called World of Darkness) and the Vampire: The Requiem game corebook. In both cases, clan/faction/covenant guides are optional.

Noobborn
2013-09-13, 07:59 PM
Oh why thank you all. I will look at the translation guide and see if I can get a copy.

The Glyphstone
2013-09-13, 09:35 PM
Keep in mind that using the Translation Guide will still require Requiem and WoD Core, so that'll up your minimum books to 3.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-09-13, 09:48 PM
I found the new VtR I keep hearing VtM had a better story and VtR has better mechanics.

VtR has better mechanics than VtM in the way that your dad's old junker will drive better than the car in the scrapyyard that just went through the crusher.