PDA

View Full Version : AIs in RPGs: Where are they?

Aramyth
2013-09-12, 12:13 PM
I find myself able to only find a single RPG that let's a character play as an AI, and that is Eclipse Phase. Are there any others out their?

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-12, 12:18 PM
As an explicit option, or do generic point-buy systems count?

For the former, there is Unisystem (in All Tomorrow's Zombies), d20 Modern (in d20 Future and d20 Cyberscape), True20 (in the third-party setting Interface Zero), BADASS, Mecha RPG and Maid, and that's just systems I own.

Though an important question is whether you count sapient robots as AIs or only disembodied ones. All of the above, except Interface Zero, are embodied AIs (All Tomorrow Zombies does have rules for disembodied, virtual characters, but they are uploaded people, not real AIs).

Lorsa
2013-09-12, 12:54 PM
In Star Wars: Saga Edition I am pretty sure you can play as a Droid and they're sort of AI-like aren't they?

Ravens_cry
2013-09-12, 01:02 PM
In Star Wars: Saga Edition I am pretty sure you can play as a Droid and they're sort of AI-like aren't they?
Just a bit.:smalltongue:
A more fantastic example is the warforged of D&D. It's magic rather then mundane tech, but they are explicitly an artificial intelligence.

Delta
2013-09-12, 01:16 PM
4th Edition Shadowrun lets you play as an AI, too

shadow_archmagi
2013-09-12, 01:19 PM
I haven't actually checked, but I feel certain that Mutants and Masterminds allows it.

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-12, 01:21 PM
I haven't actually checked, but I feel certain that Mutants and Masterminds allows it.

Along with GURPS, Hero, Tri-Stat dX and Wild Talents, but since those are either point-buy superhero systems or point-buy generic systems, I didn't really feel the need to mention those.

Ravens_cry
2013-09-12, 01:29 PM
It does indeed and because the fluff is so darn mutable, the 'AI' could be anything from a nanomachine swarm, a Jewish golem, a Robby the Robot rip-off, or even some form of undead.
Dang, now I want to play a golem in the next M&M game I play.:smallbiggrin:
Palladium's Heroes Unlimited also allows you to play a robot, with some intense customization options.
Man, this is turning out to be less rare with every post.

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-12, 01:31 PM
It does indeed and because the fluff is so darn mutable, the 'AI' could be anything from a nanomachine swarm, a Jewish golem, a Robby the Robot rip-off, or even some form of undead.
Dang, now I want to play a golem in the next M&M game I play.:smallbiggrin:

My favorite PC of all the games I've run was Pandora's box, reforged into a golem and given sapience. She was pretty cool, with shapeshifting powers allowing her to turn into various evils. Shame the game ended so quickly.

Rhynn
2013-09-12, 01:34 PM
I find myself able to only find a single RPG that let's a character play as an AI, and that is Eclipse Phase. Are there any others out their?

GURPS's awesome Transhuman Space setting explicitly calls out AIs as a character type, riding "shells" (cybernetic or biomechanical bodies). The implications are, obviously, pretty staggering.

Ravens_cry
2013-09-12, 01:38 PM
My favorite PC of all the games I've run was Pandora's box, reforged into a golem and given sapience. She was pretty cool, with shapeshifting powers allowing her to turn into various evils. Shame the game ended so quickly.
Too bad, because that does sound awesome.

Knaight
2013-09-12, 02:10 PM
Basically any generic can handle AIs (I've used Fudge for this before), and I want to say that Freemarket can, though I'm not sure.

Forrestfire
2013-09-12, 02:33 PM
Even in D&D, it's possible to refluff things to be an "AI."

My personal favorite way in 3.5 is by taking Ghost or Fiend of Possession and hanging out in a specific item (or animated object/golem in the case of the Ghost).

Xefas
2013-09-12, 03:21 PM
Basically any generic can handle AIs (I've used Fudge for this before), and I want to say that Freemarket can, though I'm not sure.

IIRC, you must explicitly have a human brain in Freemarket. It can be synthetically created and modified to all hell until it relies on tech more than meat, and run around in a robot body, or be sealed in a capsule somewhere and interact with the outside world only through electronic communication. But, I think, technically, you must still have a human brain in your character somewhere.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-09-12, 03:28 PM
If you just mean a robot, basically every sci-fi (or sci-fi-supporting) RPG ever written allows this.

If you mean a disembodied, omnipresent mind like HAL, that's much rarer.

CombatOwl
2013-09-12, 04:52 PM
4th Edition Shadowrun lets you play as an AI, too

It wouldn't be that hard to homebrew some AI rules for 5th edition. It's not all that different from a decker that lives remotely all the time--admittedly kind of hard to actually find a use for such a character though.

Delta
2013-09-12, 05:02 PM
It wouldn't be that hard to homebrew some AI rules for 5th edition. It's not all that different from a decker that lives remotely all the time--admittedly kind of hard to actually find a use for such a character though.

Since I haven't read 5th edition yet I didn't want to say anything about that. But since AIs as playable characters were added with the Companion for 4th edition I could imagine the same happening in 5th.

LibraryOgre
2013-09-12, 05:10 PM
Rifts (and Heroes Unlimited, and a few other Palladium games) allows it, in that you can play a robot.

Soemone already mentioned Shadowrun.

It's also possible in many Marvel games, playing either created Robot heroes or characters like Jocasta or Vision.

You can do it in Savage Worlds.

CombatOwl
2013-09-12, 05:18 PM
Needless to say, FATE as well.

Emmerask
2013-09-12, 05:31 PM

Well it depends a bit on the setting... but actually any system where the races where created by deities or similar will be AIs. The only difference would be the method of creation and the materials its stored in... which is pretty irrelevant really.

TroubleBrewing
2013-09-12, 05:42 PM
Alpha Omega has rules for AI characters. Shadowrun 4e has already been mentioned, but I think it's worth pointing out that you don't play a robot, but a sentient computer program.

Toy Killer
2013-09-13, 01:48 AM
Iron Kingdoms, Ironically, wont let you play as a 'Jack specifically. But they do exist.

Ravens_cry
2013-09-13, 02:23 AM
Iron Kingdoms, Ironically, wont let you play as a 'Jack specifically. But they do exist.
Well, for the most part, with rare to the point of uniqueness exceptions, that would be almost like playing an unmodified skeleton or zombie, as you really don't have much control of your actions.

Studoku
2013-09-13, 08:02 AM
Spacestation 13 (specifically Baystation 12) isn't a tabletop game but I think it deserves a mention here.

Joe the Rat
2013-09-13, 09:35 AM
Rifts (and Heroes Unlimited, and a few other Palladium games) allows it, in that you can play a robot.

Soemone already mentioned Shadowrun.

It's also possible in many Marvel games, playing either created Robot heroes or characters like Jocasta or Vision.

You can do it in Savage Worlds....dang it, you got all my good ones.
ANY super-hero game can support AIs. AIs (usually as Androids) are a standard super hero character type. Heroes Unlimited had character types that were specifically built as AIs (robots) or very close to (Alien with a robotic "species"). You could play a Robot Alien that super-heroes around in/with a self-aware Alien Robot.

Star Wars has allowed Droid PCs as far back as the WEG (d6) edition.

Some versions of Gamma World (and some GW clones) have them.

The only game Sci Fi game I've seen of late that specifically forbids AIs is Sufficiently Advanced. One type noted are so weird that their motivations are completely unworkable (and given what the "humans" are like, that's saying something). The other main type boot-strapped themselves into awareness via trans-temporal processing, and is your boss.

I suppose Paranoia is another 'No AIs ever" type of game, but I don't have security clearance for that question. Have a Nice Day.

Eric Tolle
2013-09-13, 10:39 AM
The Mekton ZZ supplement had rules for making custom mecha, including sentient ones. Jovian Chronicles had similar mecha building rules. So not only can you play an AI, but you can play an AI controlling a cool giant robot!

Ravian
2013-09-13, 11:31 AM
The only game Sci Fi game I've seen of late that specifically forbids AIs is Sufficiently Advanced. One type noted are so weird that their motivations are completely unworkable (and given what the "humans" are like, that's saying something). The other main type boot-strapped themselves into awareness via trans-temporal processing, and is your boss.

I suppose Paranoia is another 'No AIs ever" type of game, but I don't have security clearance for that question. Have a Nice Day.

The Warhammer 40k tabletop games don't really allow you to play AI (aka Abominable Intelligence) unless you play as a heretek (Of course even then you still don't have much in the way of "Men of Iron", androids with their own intellect.)

nedz
2013-09-13, 12:46 PM

I don't know about the current version of the game but there was a 'Bot expansion which allowed you to play one in an early version of the game.

Unsurprisingly it was a tad wacky, but I had great fun once playing a sentient hover dentist's chair which R&D bolted a plate stacker/launcher on the side of.

It also had a version of Asimov's Laws too, though obviously you were supposed to protect The Computer rather than humans.

The mission debrief was hilarious since 'bots can't lie. Suggesting otherwise is, of course, treasonous.

Seerow
2013-09-14, 11:04 AM
Shadowrun 4e has already been mentioned, but I think it's worth pointing out that you don't play a robot, but a sentient computer program.

Which isn't to say that a Shadowrun AI can't be a robot if you want. Just get an anthroform drone and remotely control it.

skyth
2013-09-14, 01:12 PM
Hero system will allow you to.

West End's Star Wars allowed you to play a droid.

Spacemaster has rules for Androids.

TroubleBrewing
2013-09-15, 01:38 PM
Which isn't to say that a Shadowrun AI can't be a robot if you want. Just get an anthroform drone and remotely control it.

Oh, I was touting the "lack of a body" as an advantage. I mean, this thread is evidence that there are tons of RPGs that offer robot options. How many offer the opportunity to play as a program in the same party as a bunch of fragile meat puppets?

Delta
2013-09-15, 02:17 PM
Oh, I was touting the "lack of a body" as an advantage. I mean, this thread is evidence that there are tons of RPGs that offer robot options. How many offer the opportunity to play as a program in the same party as a bunch of fragile meat puppets?

Well I'd mention Eclipse Phase but the OP already did that for me ;)

To be precise, in EP, even as a human character you can be a bunch of code running on a computer without a body, now that's something not many games have as an option ;)

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-15, 02:27 PM
If you ever find yourself asking "can you do x in more than one RPG", the answer is always yes.

Always. Yes, even then.

Well I'd mention Eclipse Phase but the OP already did that for me ;)

To be precise, in EP, even as a human character you can be a bunch of code running on a computer without a body, now that's something not many games have as an option ;)

In Eclipse Phase, you can be an AGI running on a fleshy meat body. Which really makes you realise there's no real difference between a human ego and an AGI ego.

Delta
2013-09-15, 02:31 PM
If you ever find yourself asking "can you do x in more than one RPG", the answer is always yes.

Well since there's more than one RPG out there that basically lets you do or play whatever you could possibly think of, that's pretty obvious ;)

Premier
2013-09-15, 02:44 PM

The for-sale print version of Stars Without Number has rules for playing AI. Essentially, you get to use a point-buy system for mental abilities* (incl. stuff like skill learning rate, etc.), and you physical stats and built-in equipment depends on what chassis you happen to be in. Also, it's reasonably easy to make backups of yourself through quantum entanglement, which means that once you're destroyed, your backup will activate regardless of how far it is - no need to carry a disk with an infordump there or anything of the sort.

*For normal characters, you roll for abilities.

CombatOwl
2013-09-16, 05:30 AM

Sort of, on the other hand your AI (if I recall) must be hosted on an ultraviolet host--which in game terms is so extremely expensive that it's literally out of the reach of affordability for a single shadowrunner. Meaning that your AI is almost certainly going to have no choice but to have some sort of permanent working relationship with either an insanely wealthy individual or a megacorp. That is a huge flaw in its own right.

Irenaeus
2013-09-17, 10:10 AM
They're in Transhuman Space. All of them.

Seriously, though. The amounts of AIs involved in a standard TS scenario is so large it's a little challenging at times. Between Non-Sentient AIs, Low-Sentient AIs, Sentient AIs, Ghost simulations and Shadows (being imperfect personality simulations), there are far more of them than of actual humans. Just in a single group of three PCs, we had about 8 NAIs running routine operations, 5 LAIs running complex operations like information gathering, remote vehicle operations, surveillance, customer service and the like, and one of the players was a Ghost, a human personality simulation running from hardware based on the destructive upload of the damaged brain of his former self.

When they had a mission to the moon, he immediately installed himself in a rented shell there, and started making preparations for when his non-infomorph comrades would arrive. It was awesome.

Delta
2013-09-17, 10:47 AM
Sort of, on the other hand your AI (if I recall) must be hosted on an ultraviolet host--which in game terms is so extremely expensive that it's literally out of the reach of affordability for a single shadowrunner. Meaning that your AI is almost certainly going to have no choice but to have some sort of permanent working relationship with either an insanely wealthy individual or a megacorp. That is a huge flaw in its own right.

You're mixing up SR1-3 and 4-5 here. Up until SR3, AIs were Gibson-like, almost godlike in power insider the matrix, there were only a few of them and no one really knew how you could create one. Those needed ridiculous levels of computing power so they had to run on ultraviolet hosts.

In SR4, there came a "new breed" of low powered AIs that basically are artifcial metahuman minds, they're comparable to usual characters in capabilities and power and they're fully playable.