PDA

View Full Version : Creepy prophecy in search of a campaign

Lost Demiurge
2013-09-12, 01:03 PM
Well, I've got a creepy prophecy, but no clue as to what kind of campaign setting would work for it, or what it should describe. Thoughts?

13 times did the witchclock toll.
13 lives slain to seal one soul.
13 hearts beating as one in fear.
13 hands to rip open the tear.
13 gods to fall and weep.
13 worms through corpses to creep.
13 eyes to explore the gloom.
13 candles to hold back doom.
13 beasts to guard the gates.
13 wards against the fates.
13 trees full line the groves.
13 arrows to slay the doves.
13 eyes in that which watches from above.
And you will be there in the end my loves

JoshuaZ
2013-09-12, 01:20 PM
Well, I've got a creepy prophecy, but no clue as to what kind of campaign setting would work for it, or what it should describe. Thoughts?

I'd change the last line to just "love". But, yes I agree is creepy (although a bit long). One thing you can do with prophecies is have a general idea for specific lines, let the PCs hear the rest and then let them "figure" out other lines when you throw enough stuff in. They'll try to figure out things, and if they work well, then you can throw them in as correct, while keeping specific lines as fixed. Although some parts of this are good enough to possibly steal.

Something about this specific one sounds vaguely Doctor Whoish (I think it is because of the creepy tick-tock rhyme together with "my love" which sounds like River).

My guess for this one would be some very nasty power that is going to try to become a god or kill the gods, and the main bit is about a ritual or artifact or both that is involved. (In fact, I may steal "witchclock" for my campaign- that sounds really neat.)

JusticeZero
2013-09-12, 01:34 PM
Well, my first thought is that there is going to be a group doing something important, which comprises seven individuals. Someone is missing an eye, someone is missing a hand.

Segev
2013-09-12, 01:52 PM
I might steal parts of it myself; I have a campaign idea for Eberron that parts of it work VERY well for. Including a mad druid who might jsut spout parts of it.

For your use...

Ravenloft might be a good setting for it. If you want to go particularly high-powered, it could turn out that there are 13 Dark Powers, and that Strahd is far more dangerous than any save those Powers remember. Perhaps not even Strahd knows, anymore, what the clock (on his mantle, which is broken) is for.

Sorry, had to work another Doctor Who reference in there.

Tim Proctor
2013-09-12, 02:01 PM
I'd have a big battle where the PCs are present and have the following happens:

(13 times did the witchclock toll) one group uses a clock tower rings to alert its troops 1 time for hard attack, 2 times for change of guard, 3 times for defensive retreat, and 4 times for a full retreat. Then have the clock sound in any combination to equal 13.

(13 lives slain to seal one soul) have a giant dinner party where the group is invited and and guest disappear as they are taken for a ritual sacrifice to summon a demon like thing

(13 hearts beating as one in fear) as the group realizes what is happening and there are X amount of guests still alive as this happens.

(13 hands to rip open the tear) have the same cult perform another ritual that rips open the veil between this world and another, inviting more demon like creatures.

(13 gods to fall and weep) have the cult or demon like creatures destroy 13 temples within a city.

(13 worms through corpses to creep.) When the group chases the cultists/demons have a grotesque battle in a pit/room with a floor full of dead rotting bodies where they fight 13 wurms.

(13 eyes to explore the gloom) I agree with above, have 7 PCs/NPCs and one is missing an eye or 6 and one is a monk or something with a 3rd eye.

(13 candles to hold back doom.) Have the group travelling in a dungeon crawl and one of them has a Candelabra (I'd suggest making it magical so they use it) to light the way.

(13 beasts to guard the gates.) Have the end scenario of 13 gates guarded by a beast each, with (13 wards against the fates.) magical traps/wards on each making each scenario extra tough.

(13 trees full line the groves.) After the group makes it pass the gates have 13 giant crazy looking dead trees.

(13 arrows to slay the doves.) Have 13 angelic type creatures turn evil and try to stop the group and have them slay them (just make sure they have arrows or death or something), OR have the angelic creatures fighting the BBEG (next one) and it kills them with 13 arrows.

(13 eyes in that which watches from above.) A BBEG with 13 eyes that doesn't get to come down and destroy the world, or it does and the group has to fight it.

I would probably break it into the following adventure segments:

1) The battle

2) The murder mystery

3) The Dungeon Delve through the gates

4) The Final battle

Gavran
2013-09-12, 02:01 PM
Well, my first thought is that there is going to be a group doing something important, which comprises seven individuals. Someone is missing an eye, someone is missing a hand.

There are 26 eyes in total though. One person is going to have to explore the gloom AND watch from above.

dps
2013-09-14, 10:33 PM
Hmm. Sounds like a setup for a "sealed evil in a can, but now the seals are failing" type of story. The EVIL was sealed up, but the dark rituals necessary to do it corrupted those who did the sealing, and lead to a Dark Age. The PCs have to find a way to re-seal the EVIL's prison, but hopefully do it the right way this time, i.e., by some method not involving the sacrifices implied in the rhyme, but first they have to track down the full rhyme (I like the suggestion above of only giving them bits of it at a time), and also find and then either destroy or purify any artifacts that were used in the ritual, while at the same time researching how to re-seal the prison.

THEChanger
2013-09-15, 02:55 AM

In a town called Taktburg, a mysterious clocktower stands. Taktburg is alternately known as the North Gate, the northern most town of the country to which the PCs are natives of. Beyond Taktburg is only frost and snow, as far as anyone knows or cares to explore. The clocktower is mysterious in that it predates Taktburg-in fact, no one knows who built it, and every year, on the twelfth day of the twelfth month, at midnight, the clock strikes thirteen times instead of twelve. No amount of fiddling with the internal mechanisms of the clock can alter this, and those that do usually suffer horrible fates, so the townsfolk have stopped trying.

13 lives slain to steal one soul.

The PCs are sent to investigate rumors that a cult of some sort is setting up shop in Taktburg. Upon arrival, they learn that since the beginning of the year twelve weeks ago, a child has disappeared every week. They track the disappearances to a basement beneath the tower, where they find the cult, about to sacrifice thirteen youths, all aged thirteen(if the players manage to find the cult before they capture the thirteenth youth, have them substitute one of their own instead. Always fun.) They will not be able to stop the ritual in time, and the leader(who smells suspiciously of rotting flesh), manages to summon...an angel?
The angel is then bound via a Trap The Soul spell or similar mechanism, and the cult leader absconds, leaving his followers and the undead corpses of the victims to deal with the PCs.

13 hearts beating as one in fear

The nation the PCs were sent by is ruled by 13 councilmen. When the PCs file their report, the council confirms that these are cultists belonging to the Eyes of the Worm. The Eyes of the Worm are a doomsday cult that worships something called the Worm That Walks, and have become increasingly active in the past couple of years. The council is worried, and the PCs contact on the council, a man by the name of Edwin Tolstoff, asks them to continue their investigation of the cult. 13 hearts beating in fear indeed.

13 hands to rip the tear.

Following up some leads on the Eyes of the Worm, the PCs track the cult leader to a swamp far to the east. There, in a temple sunken beneath the swamp, the PCs battle through a group of cultists and avolakias to find the leader of the cult using the 13 angels he bound to conjure something...dark. The leader is in fact an avolakia himself, and thus possesses 13 hands. These are thrust into each of the thirteen angels, ripping out their hearts.

The true horror comes when the angels, servants of the gods, are each transformed. They become 13 Lesser Worms That Walk, who slay the cult leader and disappear into the darkness. Consulting the dark tomes the cult possessed, it is revealed that the 13 angels now hold one-thirteenth of the essence of Kyssus, the true Worm That Walks. The ritual is not quite complete, as there remains certain artifacts which must be used to unite them into a single body. Edwin Tolstoff, independent of the council, asks the PCs to hunt down the artifacts (if the PCs don't come to that conclusion themselves), as keeping even one out of the hands of the Lesser Worms will prevent Kyssus from being unleashed.

This part of the campaign is less well defined. 13 artifacts(the candles and wards) of various kinds prevent Kyssus from returning. Each has a powerful guardian, on par with the Lesser Worms. At this point, it becomes a race between the Lesser Worms and the PCs to see who can reach the artifacts first. Since there are presumably more Lesser Worms than PCs, you should plan where on the campaign map each artifact is located in relation to the temple of Kyssus. The PCs should at maximum be able to recover 12-the thirteenth they can't figure out.

When the PCs deliver the final artifact they were able to recover to Edwin, it is revealed they have been deceived! Edwin is also a Lesser Worm, albeit one who maintains free will. He intends to usurp the ceremony to resurrect Kyssus, using the 13th artifact, thirteen black arrows. Journeying back to Taktburg, in a frozen grove near thirteen trees covered in ice, Edwin slays the other Lesser Worms, and then kills the angels who are released from their torment. The power of the thirteen heavenly bodies in him, Edwin goes to the clocktower-an artifact from when Kyssus was awake and in power-to complete his transformation.

And you will be there in the end my loves.

As midnight on the twelfth night of the twelfth month approaches, Edwin climbs to the top of the clocktower. The party must stop him from reaching the top, but Edwin grows in power the higher he climbs. At the thirteenth toll of the bell, Edwin burst through the top of the tower-his transformation into Kyssus complete. Edwin-Kyssus possesses the full power of the Worm That Walks, and looks down at the party with thirteen red eyes. He laughs, and declares that this is not a fitting place for their final confrontation. He goes north, to the top of the world. As Edwin-Kyssus' crawling, squirming followers move on the world, the PCs must track the dark godling to the Roof of the World-an icy plain where Edwin-Kyssus sits upon a glacial throne. For the sake of the world, he must fall. But are the PCs strong enough to contend with a force as old as the world, empowered by thirteen of the strongest servants of the gods?

oudeis
2013-09-15, 08:13 AM

Very ominous. I like it. :cool:

The 'clock' part of witchclock shouldn't be taken too literally, or at least it shouldn't be made too obvious and accessible. The meaning of that passage shouldn't be so readily apparent to players, and if it is an actual physical device it should be some ancient Artifact with a capital 'A', like the classic Machine of Lum the Mad from 2nd Ed. Perhaps it is some great and legendary orrery that tracks the orbit of celestial bodies unseen and unseeable by mortal eyes, including a comet containing the prison of, as others have suggested, Sealed Evil in a Can, and with each orbit it passes closer to earth. Or how about an elaborate Stonehenge-like structure that tracks celestial conjunctions, and when certain stars align the great Crow-Owl that nests amidst the plinths let's out a piercing cry of warning of what is someday to come.

Were these lives sacrifices or heroes who fell preventing some great calamity, perhaps foretold in another prophecy? Conversely, perhaps the soul they 'sealed' was a new god coming into being, or a divine avatar or messiah figure that needed to be protected from malefic forces by being incarnated into a child born still at the foreseen hour. 'The Golden Child' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Child) wasn't a very good movie but the story did a great job with a similar theme.

The literal interpretation here is that somewhere there is a baker's dozen of somebodies who are about to piss themselves. Not specific enough to trip itself up, which is good, but maybe a poetic approach would serve better. Wikipedia gives a succinct overview of the symbolic meanings associated with the heart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_%28symbolism%29#Cultural_significance).

13 hands to rip open the tear.Hmm, this is getting interesting: A quick search for the symbology surrounding the hand comes up with the Hamsa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamsa), an amulet used to ward off the Evil Eye, and the Mudra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudra), a ritualistic gesture in Hinduism and Buddhism. Both of these lend themselves to long questing, though I personally like the idea of some long-lost theurgic motion or technique that must be rediscovered, or kept hidden lest the world fall...

13 gods to fall and weep.Are they being cast down in defeat or casting themselves down in grief at the death of something good, e.g. the aforementioned avatar/messiah/Golden Child?

13 worms through corpses to creep.Unless this is referring to weak, cowardly scavengers looting bodies, YUCK. Or maybe it's like the Birnam Wood prophecy from Macbeth, and 13 people will need to crawl their way through a battlefield or tomb to reach their quarry.

13 eyes to explore the gloom.If there is in fact some long-lost orrery, maybe it will take 13 astronomers/telescopes to predict the course of the oncoming (literal) disaster.

13 candles to hold back doom.This clearly refers to Marilyn Monroe (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoOhnrjdYOc). Or Princess Diana (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhQJUpThbZ4). The thirteen known manifestations of the dyed dualistic embodiment of Glamor must be gathered from across the several ages of the multiverse and joined as one.

13 beasts to guard the gates.I've always liked the Beast-Lords from the Elric novels: The deities or most perfect representations of each animal species on Earth. Alternately, if the prophecy is referring to the astronomical/astrological , these could represent Zodiac signs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_zodiac). In fact, these two ideas could easily be synthesized: the heavenly representations of these animals could be used to summon the Great Archetypes, the kaiju-sized exempla of the Guardian species of the world. As for the 13th symbol, it could be the astrological representation of the unseeable prison containing the SEiaC (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SealedEvilInACan), or perhaps the forgotten/unknown constellation representing some great secret gone from the world that is necessary to make things whole, like the lost ninth rune on the Ring of Erreth-Akbe in 'The Tombs of Atuan' in the Earthsea trilogy, or the unnamed 10th Seat in 'Mage: The Ascension'. What manner of beast might represent this is perhaps not for mortal minds to know...

13 wards against the fates. Again, these should not be easily identified objects or commonly understood game-world phenomena like protective enchantments or physical walls. This could refer to common folk-lore beliefs and lucky charms, sneered at by true spellcasters, that are actually derived from potent sources lost to antiquity that must be rediscovered: four-leaf clovers aren't lucky because they are rare, they are lucky because they are actually scions of the World Tree of ancient tales, and under the right conditions can become manifestations of power capable of sundering mountains.

13 trees full line the groves.Running out brain juice, so I'll have to revisit this one later.

13 arrows to slay the doves.Doves are of course symbols of peace and love, and the word is also used as a term of endearment towards a child or other loved one. Changing 'arrows' to 'missiles' or 'darts' might free up some room for interpretation.

13 eyes in that which watches from above.There is a Spelljammer crewed by a Cyclops, an Ettin, a Pirate Captain, an Oni, and a three-headed hydra with glaucoma in one head in high orbit above the world. If things go sideways down below they are authorized to air-drop their cargo of Xenomorphs as an extreme sterilization measure. That, or the 13 brightest stars in the sky are believed to be the eyes of a supreme over-diety.

Amaril
2013-09-15, 04:40 PM
-snip-

Um...do you mind if I possibly steal all some of this for a campaign of my own sometime? Because it's freaking amazing, and actually fits pretty well in the campaign setting I'm working on.

Adoendithas
2013-09-15, 07:50 PM
Um...do you mind if I possibly steal all some of this for a campaign of my own sometime? Because it's freaking amazing, and actually fits pretty well in the campaign setting I'm working on.

Same, I'm currently running a segment with a focus on misinterpreting prophecies.

Envyus
2013-09-15, 08:24 PM

Well we do have a classic D&D villain that fits that very description. The god of secrets Vecna.

Winds
2013-09-15, 08:57 PM
To top it all off, don't let your players hear the whole thing. Anyone who knows the prophecy only speaks it after it's done. Let the players figure out that 13 has become a rather ominous number without outright saying it. They finally hear the complete prophecy when they are 'there at the end, my loves'-and that from the 13 eyes in question. (If that's multiple people, hammer it home by them all reciting it in unison-despite not speaking that way at any point beforehand.)

THEChanger
2013-09-15, 09:17 PM

Same, I'm currently running a segment with a focus on misinterpreting prophecies.

Feel free! You'll also want to pick up a copy of Elder Evils and Monster Manual 2. Elder Evils gives stats for Kyssus, the cult leader, and Edwin Tolstoff, and Monster Manual 2 has both the avolkias and the Spawn of Kyssus, who is like a super-zombie. Most of what I posted was simply adapting the Worm That Walks section of Elder Evils to better fit the prophecy given. You'll also find other world-destroying fun there such as Atropus the Dead-Born World, Father Lymic the Frost-Born, and Pandorym, the Living, Deicidal Sphere of Annihilation!

Amaril
2013-09-15, 09:29 PM
Feel free! You'll also want to pick up a copy of Elder Evils and Monster Manual 2. Elder Evils gives stats for Kyssus, the cult leader, and Edwin Tolstoff, and Monster Manual 2 has both the avolkias and the Spawn of Kyssus, who is like a super-zombie. Most of what I posted was simply adapting the Worm That Walks section of Elder Evils to better fit the prophecy given. You'll also find other world-destroying fun there such as Atropus the Dead-Born World, Father Lymic the Frost-Born, and Pandorym, the Living, Deicidal Sphere of Annihilation!

Great, thanks! My Lovecraftian setting is for Pathfinder, so those books might not be completely compatible, but I'll probably just pick them up and do some tweaking to make them fit. Probably change the names, too.

I do have a couple questions, though. First,

They track the disappearances to a basement beneath the tower, where they find the cult, about to sacrifice thirteen youths, all aged thirteen(if the players manage to find the cult before they capture the thirteenth youth, have them substitute one of their own instead. Always fun.)

What did you mean by "substitute one of their own?" As in, the cultists are using one of their own members as a sacrifice?

Second,

He intends to usurp the ceremony to resurrect Kyssus, using the 13th artifact, thirteen black arrows.

So the 13th artifact is a quiver of 13 black arrows that all serve as one object in the original ritual?

THEChanger
2013-09-15, 09:38 PM
Great, thanks! My Lovecraftian setting is for Pathfinder, so those books might not be completely compatible, but I'll probably just pick them up and do some tweaking to make them fit. Probably change the names, too.

Mmmhmm, yes. Most of Elder Evils is Feats, Monsters, and specific characters, so I doubt you'll have to convert too much. Edwin may have a 3.5 PrC that wasn't converted, so you'd have that to consider, but it shouldn't be too hard.

I do have a couple questions, though. First,

What did you mean by "substitute one of their own?" I can't seem to parse that sentence correctly.

Second,

So the 13th artifact is a quiver of 13 black arrows that all serve as one object in the original ritual?

Imagine, if you will, the cultists standing around the corpses of twelve children. The leader laughs, and proclaims the success of their plot. One of the cultists speaks up, saying:
"But master, we need thirteen victims for the ritual."
The leader strokes his chin, and nods. "You are correct, of course." And then slices the unfortunate cultist's heart open.

And yes, the 13th artifact is, collectively, 13 black arrows. Arrows of angel-slaying, most likely. Incidentally, my intent was that the 13 artifacts should all have belonged to Kyssus ages ago, and have their own benefits separate from the ritual. Perhaps the PCs can make use of them.

Fable Wright
2013-09-18, 10:18 AM
I've got a campaign in need of an ominous prophesy about the end of the world, involving the worms of the world (by which I mean, Remorhazes, Behir, Aboleths, and a modified version of Gorgons) converging on a breach of reality located in the middle of a forest in an attempt to force a restart of the world, with the players scrambling to find defenses against them, so...

I may be using this with some changes.

Kioras
2013-09-18, 10:48 AM
Simple enough.

Have a doomsday cult, or cult following an elder evil, or random planar big bad start plastering this around, have them act like it is a major plot point.

Leave it up to the players to run with it, as it keeps showing up, and the cult that the players keep running into try to recreate points of the prophecy.

In the end? It is a big waste of time for everyone involved, it was a fake prophecy put up by some random scribe 300+ years ago , stating that anyone can make a prophecy seem real and get people to believe it if it vague enough.

Final payoff will be the cult thinking they completed the propechy, big thunder and lightning, and then nothing happens.

Jay R
2013-09-18, 11:13 AM
"13 eyes in that which watches from above."

I automatically assumed that meant they would be fighting a slightly modified beholder with twelve eyestalks.

oudeis
2013-09-19, 02:59 AM
Upon further thought, the prophecy should be a list of decrementing signs, like a countdown.

LordChaos13
2013-09-19, 06:03 AM
Ancient artifact of unknown maker. When struck emits a magical field empowering allies and demoralizing enemies (+5/-2 levels until the siege is over, provided they remain in a 25mile area, no save)
Has been struck 11 times during the city's history (the first when a retreating army found it, using it to defeat their chasers but unable to move the thing from it's position ater the combat)
Campaign starts with an invasion of the city causing the bell to be rung

13 lives slain to steal one soul.
After the siege is finished and the bell forgotten (hopefully. The players assuming it was just a power-up exercise to show what they WILL become) notice people in power are being systematically kidnapped, all from the same family
They discover a cult under the city ringing a crystal orb around 10ft diameter. The kidnapped people between the cultists and the crystal in thrones facing away from the orb
Cultists kill the people, the crystal cracks and releases a glowing ball of light, quickly staining red and captured by the Head Cultist, who teleports away. Cue cultist fight with Clerics and Psions

When showing their findings to the King he summons his 13 Advisors, one of which is related to the 13 killed. All have the same reaction: Oh god no

Rumours reach the party's ears after some other random adventures of missing relatives of the 13 Advisors. Tracking down the cult eventually to an ancient ruin they see the Cult leader, on bended knee with 12 other Cultists to a Drow. Taking 13 Red orbs she spots the party, dragging them out and explaining what is going to happen.
The orbs are souls of the Ancient Kings, the first rulers of the 13 Nations topside. Each one worshipping a different one of the 13 Good Gods

The souls of the Kings pulled from the afterlife, bound to physical form with a ritual, the party right in front of them as they manifest, around the world all the Clerics of the 13 Good Gods are forced to their knees, overcome with divine sadness

probably the description of the 13 Kings

I got nothing

Everburning candles held in the Main Cathedral for each God, representing their protection against the 13 Vile Gods who sponsor the Underdark's denizens (Duegar, Drow, Evil versions of the top races)

The one and only link between the Underdark Plane and the Material Plane is guarded by 13 unique beasts

Fate, the Overdiety of the world who makes everything run according to plan, is driven off by the combined forces of the 13 Dark Gods and the 13 Kings, having been imbued with some of the 13 Good's powers. Each God and King forges a single artifact together that spread through the world, they can be anything from the crown of a local despot to a single acorn surrounded by an aura of Death.
Until all are found and destroyed Fate is gone, the future is cloudy and unable to be predicted any more (though already made prophecies still apply new ones are unable to be created)

Treants corrupted by one of the Artifacts begin creating more, turning groves of normal trees into weaker versions of themselves to send off to war.

13 arrows to slay the doves. One of the artifacts is a Quiver, and all arrows put into it corrupt, destined to always hit an innocent. A famous archer uses it to hunt Pure monsters like Phoenixes or Angels, slaying the 13th in front of the party

Fate has 13 eyes? I dont have anything for this one unless the party is a 7man party with one that is eyeless

The 13 Kings will be there at the final battle, but unable to do anything, trapped by circumstances to watch the fate of themselves and the world be decided.
In the final battle the Witchclock is struck the 13th time. By which side is optional

The prophecy was made to the 13 Kings, around the time their Nations began to crumble apart from barbarians and their bodies began to fail.
Also said in the presence of a Scribe who wrote it down and passed it one...A young scholar who would turn Evil and pursue the path of Lichdom. becoming the Head Cultist mentioned earlier during the sacrifice who is also present at the final battle