PDA

View Full Version : Interesting options for Lizardfolk maybe-Cleric?

Monivey
2013-09-12, 02:16 PM
Howdy,

I'm trying to build a character for a game on this forum, playing as the leader of a city/nation. The city is dominated by scalykind (Lizardfolk and Kobolds), and I'm trying to come up with interesting concepts.

Basic character creation details:
-Level 10
-42 (!) Point buy
-140,000 gp (some of which might be being spent on the nation)

I know a Kobold allows for more flexibility, but I kinda like the idea of sticking with a Lizardfolk despite the racial HD and LA.

I was thinking a Cleric could be a good fit, with the Tier 1 offsetting some of the racial disadvantages.

I'd liked the idea of a Ranger or Sorcerer as well, though I'd initially ruled out a ranger because it's already lower tier.

Basically, I don't want to munchkin, but I'd like some advice about interesting directions to take the character, with builds, PrC's, or gear.

Greenish
2013-09-12, 02:20 PM
There's someone I'd like you to meet:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/Nazde/PoisonDuskLizardfolk.jpgHe is of the noble race of Poison Dusk Lizardfolk (MMIII), and only comes with +1 LA.

Of course, a kobold sorcerer can get plenty silly too.

Urpriest
2013-09-12, 02:35 PM
Higher tier classes are more heavily penalized by RHD and LA than lower ones for the most part. You'd be better off with a Martial Adept of some sort to offset the RHD.

That, or Poison Dusk, which as mentioned are probably cooler than normal Lizardfolk anyway.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-12, 03:04 PM
If you're stuck with the clericky thing, ask your DM if you can use my rewritten lizardfolk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104775). I would also recommend some sort of sun worship: lizardfolk are, after all, lizards, and as cold-blooded creatures they would be very reliant upon the sun. Fluff if you need it:

Despite the views of outsiders, who regularly cite the lizardfolk as boorish, animalistic, and crude, the greenscales have developed a unique and diverse warrior culture without straying away from their roots. Often staying to the warm marshlands out of which their race was born, lizardfolk form tribal societies, with these family groups living in encampments outside major worship centers. While the dwellings of most tribes normally consist of habitable caverns, both aboveground and submerged, the religious temples of the lizard folk are formed of massive stone cities where all tribes gather for days both special and mundane. Shrines take the form of multi-tiered stone ziggurats, positioned to always catch the sun’s rays, and are open to the public for the important daily tasks of prayer sun basking.

Such sun ceremonies, small as they may be, are vital to the lives of the lizardfolk, and these loyal sons and daughters of Semuanya venerate the radiant deity of the sun with great compassion. Both shamans and the masses weave the natural magic of their idol, and common lizardfolk principles denounce clothing and heavy armor, as they only help to separate Semuanya from his/her children. However, while cloth armor is common enough among warriors, jewelry, especially gold, are worn by almost all members of lizardfolk society in order to dutifully reflect Semuyana’s brilliance.

However, despite the love the lizardfolk bear for their creator, they fear the time when Semuyana sleeps, and many rituals and sacrifice accompany these days of darkness as the fearful lizardfolk try to awaken their slumbering deity. Even though the lizardfolk are weakest on their darkest days, an attacker on any other occasion would witness a mighty army formed of the strongest and bravest of the lizardfolk’s ranks. Alongside Semuyana’s warpriests and the dreaded Solacalli [or other Nahuatl-inspired word], or sun cages, that capture the rays of sun to be used against the lizardfolk’s enemies. Despite the inferior obsidian and bronze weaponry of the lizardfolk, their strength, cunning, and zeal make the sons and daughters of Semuyana a proud race not to be crossed.

For the Solacalli (aka lazor kannon) I'm thinking mirror reflectors mounted on something like a siege tower. Huge size, prolly 1,500 gp; operated by 10-20 (pushed/turn reflector). Sunray, 4-6d6 damage, minimum range of 20 ft, max range of 60-120 ft.

CyberThread
2013-09-12, 05:56 PM
sun worship = sun domain?